You will hate me

Guest DemonSG

Guest DemonSG

At b'que Saturday night, source from inside club told me the dee's do not expect the club to play finals until 2010, must admit I was shocked!!

But having thought about it since and going through our list, I think the prediction was pretty well spot on. Can anyone tell us something that may change my view?

Anyway paid up for 2008 and can't wait.

DemonSG

Take it with a very very tiny grain of salt!!

Anyway paid up for 2008

Tell me you dont buy your membership on account of whether or not we will make it to the finals or not. Because im sorry to say but a true supporter will stick with their club through the bad years and the good im sure there are pleanty of people on here that agree.

Guest Schtacker

I gave up any faith I had on things I read online when C.Judd went to Carlton

However, we are not highly fancied by the media, betting agencies or opposition fans to see any finals this year.

At b'que Saturday night, source from inside club told me the dee's do not expect the club to play finals until 2010, must admit I was shocked!!

But having thought about it since and going through our list, I think the prediction was pretty well spot on. Can anyone tell us something that may change my view?

DemonSG

I,m glad to hear that, 'cause our list 'aint ready & primed, Yet. We need to recruit well again next year as we loose some more players at their career end & some not suitable?

I'm hoping about 11th or 12th in '08, then round 9th or 10th in '09 should see us with a formidable list that can take us all the way, & hopefully then some.

2010 / '011 / '012......!!!!!!!!!!!!

DemonSG

There's probably nothing Earth shattering in any of that, but I wonder what position the 'source' has within the club. Bailey has been at pains to say that he won't place limitations on any of the playing group, or team. He strikes me as someone who, whilst pragmatic, wouldn't be broadcasting those sorts of prognostications to too many at the Club and probably has an open mind himself at this early stage of his coaching career.

I don't doubt your source, but I do have a question mark as to who 'the Dees' are that he/she speaks of. It may be a Board member or a couple of people in the marketing dept.

It's also possible that there's a considered decision to play down finals aspirations to take any pressure off a relatively young group, even if there's a view that a Final's campaign is certainly possible.

There are so many angles if you look hard enough.

At the risk of sounding like a typical demonlander with rose-coloured glasses...

Despite the fact that I agree we'll be more likely to struggle next year than to excel, I still reckon there'll be plenty to enjoy. I still had no trouble attending games last year, and was rewarded with things like Petterd's form, the Adelaide (relief!) and Pies wins (A win against the pies is worth 16 premiership points), Chunk showing us what he's made of, Juice's debut and MOTY etc etc...

I don't think we'll have as bad a year this year as last, and that's something to at least be slighly relieved about. This year is all about putting togther and blooding the side that'll come to fruition in the coming years. I look forward to seeing a few early-career highlights that'll be remembered fondly...

This time last year a Hawthorn supporter [and therefore forever lost in the 80's] was telling me that Melbourne had the best list in the AFL. Since then I think our list if anything has got stronger.

The Outs:

Doggie Brown was a great little battler, but Byron was grieving [no criticism, just observation],Travis was 100% ability but 50% commitment. Ward & Godfrey had their good points however turned the ball over too often.

The Ins:

The new players drafted all have promise...although we may not see that much of them in 2008. I expect our really big In's will be the more seasoned players returning from an injury riddled 2007, Rivers, Bartram, Whelan, McLean, Moloney,Davey, [Robbo and Nieta also played half-fit]. Couple that with the development of the likes of Jones, Frawley, Newton, Bell, Pettard, Bate and Dunn and I think we can bounce back and surprise in 2008, maybe even push for the 8.

More food for thought, currently reading a book about Vince Lombardi [written by his son]...immediately struck by the similar persona, background and attributes and no-nonsense attitude of Dean Bailey...anyone know if Dean is a Lombardi disciple?

It seems now that most supporters are accepting that we are not going to perform next year, but I tend to disagree.

It sounds to me like the club is putting more focus on 2010 as a target for a premiership, not necessarily disqualifying us from finals this year but probably accepting that we won't have a serious crack at top 4.

I think it also gives us an insight into the intentions of the club in terms of development of our list.

With our current list we should be making finals, injuries aside our list is most definately in the top 8, development or no development, anything less will reflect poorly on the coaching staff.

It seems now that most supporters are accepting that we are not going to perform next year, but I tend to disagree.

It sounds to me like the club is putting more focus on 2010 as a target for a premiership, not necessarily disqualifying us from finals this year but probably accepting that we won't have a serious crack at top 4.

I think it also gives us an insight into the intentions of the club in terms of development of our list.

With our current list we should be making finals, injuries aside our list is most definately in the top 8, development or no development, anything less will reflect poorly on the coaching staff.

I am not sure how you can draw any inference on the Club's intentions especially from an unnamed source at a BBQ.

If we dont make the 8 this year for the second year, how is our list most definitely top 8?

How will this reflect poorly on the coaching staff if we dont make the 8? With the exception of Paul Williams, there has been a complete clean out of the coaching staff since the end of last season. One of the first steps has been the clean out of deadwood off the 2007 list. There is likely to be more at the end of 2008. They have been replaced by new recruits who with the exception of Meesen cannot reasonably be expected to have a big impact this year. All the better they do if they are given the chance.

FWIW, Hannibal has got it about right in evaluating comments from "inside sources" at a BBQ

2010 for the flag with steady build up sounds realistic. this years crop will have two years under the belt. NO LIMITATIONS

Regardless of inside sources I'd be very surprised to see us playing in the finals this year.

The club is re-building in a way not seen for a while and it'll take time for this to come to any sort of fruition. I'd reckon on the best interpretation we'd be having a real crack at the top 4 in 2010, playing off after. Like it or not, we've gone the Hawthorn route although with less early draft picks than them over the last four years. We don't have any other option.

I wouldn't expect to see Robbo, Adem, Neita, White et al on the ground when we next raise the premiership cup.

Fact of life, fact of footy, especially if we're serious.

Negative attitude brings negative results - I hope the players do not have such a pessimistic approach as some writers on 'Land do.

We had one helluva year in '07 for injuries - we lost so many games by VERY small margins - ( I know all the sayings -If your Aunty had a mo, she'd be your Uncle etc) BUT, we only have to have an ounce of luck go our way in the injury department, and a 10 % lift ON AVERAGE from each player ( obviously that means 25% + from some players while others may go backwards ), we can make a realistic attempt at significant improvement on 2007 - and SUCCESS BREEDS SUCCEEDS.

Yes, I am a Sales Manager and motivator at work ! BUT, this is not physcho gibberage - it CAN work.

I imagine that the footy department and finance department may have completely different expectations for the coming season. Fiscally speaking its usually best to go for the more conservative estimate in trying to calculate the bottom line. In footy terms Bailey has consistently stated that he isn't setting limits on our on field performances.

Negative attitude brings negative results - I hope the players do not have such a pessimistic approach as some writers on 'Land do.

We had one helluva year in '07 for injuries - we lost so many games by VERY small margins - ( I know all the sayings -If your Aunty had a mo, she'd be your Uncle etc) BUT, we only have to have an ounce of luck go our way in the injury department, and a 10 % lift ON AVERAGE from each player ( obviously that means 25% + from some players while others may go backwards ), we can make a realistic attempt at significant improvement on 2007 - and SUCCESS BREEDS SUCCEEDS.

Yes, I am a Sales Manager and motivator at work ! BUT, this is not physcho gibberage - it CAN work.

couldn't agree more. last year most folk on here were guessing which spot in the top 4 we were going to fill after 3 consecutive finals appearances. now after one injury ravaged season and the loss of one inconsistent midfielder we are re-building? at this time last year geelong were barely rated a finals chance, and who would have guessed that bartel, egan, selwood in his first year,corey etc would have the years they have just had?

What if mclean has a ‘bartel’ year? Rivers has an ‘egan’ year? Grimes has a ‘selwood’ year? Jones has a ‘corey’ year? Green becomes the ‘milburn’ off halfback? Etc.

I think we have a huge upside this year and I’m expecting big seasons from dunn, bate, silvia, bell, newton, mclean, davey, moloney, petterd. imagine if they all click this season?

If the scum are rated the second best side in the comp, then we are not that far behind……seriously.

We will play finals unless stricken by injury once more.

Genuinely excited about the upcoming season.