TROY BROADBRIDGE DAY

Demonland

Today is the third anniverary of the tragic Asian tsunami that took the lives of hundreds of thousands including our own Troy Broadbridge.

It's a time for us all to remember with respect.

Readers may wish to start working on their own compositions in honour of Troy to be posted today.

Troy Broadbridge # 20

Born: 5 October 1980

Recruited from Port Adelaide Magpies (SANFL)

Died: 26 December 2004, Thailand

Playing Career:

Debut Round 8, May 20, 2001, Melbourne vs. Essendon, at Melbourne Cricket Ground

Team: Melbourne (2001-2004)

40 games, 2 goals

Melbourne Most Improved Player 2001

Sandringham Premiership Team 2000 & 2004

501054957868--ss.jpg
A smile that will never be forgotten

I found this tribute written by Whispering Jack on the first anniversary of the tsunami ...

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE by Whispering Jack

Three hundred and sixty-five days ago the earth moved, the seas split and a wave was sent across the ocean leaving a trail of devastation that took with it a quarter of a million lives across two continents.

We were touched by the tragedy; we felt its sadness and then life went on. Soon after, we could have been forgiven for thinking that despite the enormity of the event, the world remained unchanged.

Seemingly, nothing did change our world in 2005. People still died whether by natural causes, by natural disasters like earthquakes, floods and hurricanes, by epidemics such as AIDS or by man’s own hand everywhere on the planet but most notably in the deserts of Darfur, in the streets of Baghdad and even in the London Underground.

"Nothing's gonna change my world"

These are the words of the late John Lennon. Perhaps a single individual in a vast universe may feel that there is nothing he or she can do to change our world.

But we are not totally helpless - we can make a difference.

Trish Broadbridge, the Melbourne Football Club and friends proved this at Phi Phi Island - at the very place where their fallen husband and comrade Troy perished in the Boxing Day tsunami of 2004.

Their persistence and endeavour enabled the building of a school for the children of the devastated island - the finishing touches were applied with their own bare hands. That generations of young Thai children to come will benefit from their labour bears testament to the fact that all of us can make a difference.

We can change the world.

501054957868--ss.jpg
We can change the world

I'll be on Phi Phi Island visiting the Broadbridge Education Centre and Troy's plaque in the Memorial Garden on the Island on Easter Sunday '08.

long live the memories of #20...always in the hearts of us demons. :wub: :wub:

Guest left foot snap

Well I have been reading this forum for a number of years now but never had anything worthwhile to contribute.

But I must say that Troy was one of those players who captured me. I remember first seeing him in a game early on - the thing that struck me was his chasing. I remember him that day chasing little blokes on the wing. He didn't get them but he just kept trying. I thought to myself - self, here is a likely type and I looked forward to his development into the future. Then the injuries hit and I was devestated that another on my favourites was on the sidelines.

Then he made his comeback and the excitement returned. His last game warmed me as he was starting to show what I had hoped for those few years earlier. I am no talent spotter (hey, I was a Steven Stretch fan) I just like those players that have a real dip and get the most out of their talent.

Then on that fateful night I was watching the late news. The report started with only a few lives lost, and the it moved into the hundreds. By the time I went to bed they were reporting deaths in the thousands. When I woke in the morning - the reports were in the 100s of 1000s, and I heard that an AFL player was a victim. When I heard who I was mortified.

RIP Troy. You were galant in your passing.

But I will never forget that first day I saw him giving his all.

I admired Troy Broadbridge as a player and as an athlete. But I most admired him as a person. I was lucky enough to meet him several times at player sponsor functions. He was one of the most pleasant and approachable players I 've ever met.

I'd say his class as a person was exemplified by his choice of bride.( and the same could be said of her with her choice of husband.)

Also I've been impressed by the particular Melbourne players who regarded him as a special friends.

We used to sit and talk to Troy at some of the Sandy games. He was a true gentlman, both kind and thoughtful. He was a good role model for some of the younger players at the club and wasn't influenced by the mob. He had strong values and was heading in a good direction til his life was tragically cut short. Don't think he even had a mobile ph (probably relied on Trish's if that was the case)

I'm not usually one to endorse AFL merch, let alone its website mafia operations, but one of my most treasured DVDs is the Round I match of 2005. Demons versus Bombers. The Troy Broadbridge memorial match and it's still moving whenever I watch it. Not to mention:

Scoreline - Demons 15.13 Bombers 8.9.

It's readily available through the AFL website through its Name a Game catalogue.

i miss troy!! i remember his last game he was kicking damien cupidos ass then james hird was carving it up early until broady went on and gave a flogging!! i thought to myself we have a future star on our hands! he was quick, tall skillfull and just a real down to earth guy. why it had to happern to such a kind gentlmen it makes ya think life sucks sometimes.

we will always remember u troy!!