Adem Yze's magic set to return

Pinball Wizard

lets make a conclusion

adem yze has the chance to prove himself in 2008 and lets hope he is succesful (i think we all agree on that) whether or not he is a champion or a leader, everybody has, and is intitled to their own opinion

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did, just a thank you for the design and feedback, and it's been forwarded to the appropriate department.

AKA 'Junkmail'

haha thats good to hear...back to your jumper though, you wouldnt be able to make one that is a bit less curvy would u cos that would be the best option IMO...also what part of the club did u send it to because they never reply me emails about the jumper?

cheers

lets make a conclusion

adem yze has the chance to prove himself in 2008 and lets hope he is succesful (i think we all agree on that) whether or not he is a champion or a leader, everybody has, and is intitled to their own opinion

Exactly.

That he got some publicity in the off-season despite his '07 performance has riled some people, and was always going to mean he copped a spray given his poor recent record.

Yze will cop it fair at the end of '08, based on the contribution he makes.

If he steps up. GOOD. If he doesn't, GOODBYE.

What we're all arguing about here is just how much his well-known weaknesses give us the ^#$%.

Exactly right Detox.

Rpfc's analysis was about as rigorous as Yze attacking a contested ball.

I don't know what you expect from a bloke as thin and as soft as Yze.

He got the footy, he delivered it well. That was his job for a decade. He is/was extremely good at it.

Stats are always meaningless when they don't support a certain view that is ingrained in ones mind.

I stand by the assertion that, for what Yze was (a frontrunning winger, FP, HBF), he was very good for a decade.

I don't know what you expect from a bloke as thin and as soft as Yze.

Yze at 85kgs is as thin as Whelan at 84 kgs, Pickett at 86kgs and Jones at 81kgs....I would only expect from Yze what I would reasonably expect from any footballer that pulls on the MFC jumper.

BTW, Junior at 75kgs and Davey at 72kgs and their attack on the ball and pressure on their opponent when they dont have it should embarrass Yze. From some of his spooked performances, Yze just does not get it

He got the footy, he delivered it well. That was his job for a decade. He is/was extremely good at it.

He received the footy and up until the past 2 to 3 years did deliver it well. No his job was no different to most other players. He was extremely good at putting in on his terms and not on the teams.

Stats are always meaningless when they don't support a certain view that is ingrained in ones mind.

Exactly. Beyond your ability to copy tattslotto numbers off another website, your analysis does little to support your argument. In a game that is increasingly marred by a wave of cheap possessions, total numbers of anything provide no meaningful analysis of players worth over a season. It does little to debunk the argument that Yze cashes in when its easy and disappears when its tough. It also does not measure his effectiveness with those possessions nor whether they were contested or uncontested.

I stand by the assertion that, for what Yze was (a frontrunning winger, FP, HBF), he was very good for a decade.

I accept you're easily impressed with the mediocre.

I accept you're easily impressed with the mediocre.

Question for RR.

If Yze plays all the NAB cup games and has a solid but unspectacular campaign, ie - averages 2 goals a game in a forward pocket, would you select him for round 1? Or would you keep him at Sandringham for the first 4-6 weeks on principle and make him earn his spot?

Question for RR.

If Yze plays all the NAB cup games and has a solid but unspectacular campaign, ie - averages 2 goals a game in a forward pocket, would you select him for round 1? Or would you keep him at Sandringham for the first 4-6 weeks on principle and make him earn his spot?

BBP,

Like every other player Yze should be selected on form and for the best fit for the team.

It depends on your metric for Yze. Number of goals should not be it. He could get 2 easy receives in the goal square and kick 2 goals, do nothing else and you would have some posters screaming what a star and this makes up for the past 5 years of slipping performances It depends upon the context of the team we are playing and the match.

Put it bluntly...Yze is not the player he was 3 to 5 years ago. The game is quicker, Yze is not. His foot skills have slipped considerably. Yze cannot coast on his diminishing talent as he has done in the past. The game is more and more about contested possession and placing maximum pressure on the opposing ball carrier. Contested ball and defensive pressure are two areas that Yze fails in. I am more interested in what he does when he does not have the ball than the 15 seconds a game that he does. If he cant compete effectively in the contested ball and defensive pressure areas he is dead meat. From the past two years he has been found wanting and cannot cut corners.

I have grave doubts that Yze can understand just what is required to play for the team. I believe he is likely to struggle unless he shows those attributes that seem to apply to all other footballers and they seem to implement readily.

I dont think putting him in Sandy for any period as matter of principle will teach Yze anything. God knows Yze has been given more wake up calls than any other player but just does not get it. I would have thought that being "Captain" off the bench in the 2005 EF and then being axed as VC would have taught him something. Evidently not!

He plays at Sandy if the coaches dont believe his performance warrants selection at MFC.

That be a fairly sound summing up of Oozes dillemma...or is it ours ? lol

Somehting he , Yze and indeed possibly a couple of others will face this year is the "clean slate syndrome". DB is on record as saying he favours a 'position on merit' formula. I dont think we will see the painful and often frustrating scenario whereby players are given infinite opportunities and incredible lattitude towards gaining their starting 22 selection.

The newbies and the 'other' young'ens are going to be taking no prisoners I suspect in order to get a look in. So the question becomes how well will Adem cope with fighting for a start each week. This has not been his modus operandi to date. Quite frankly I dont care who is playing as long as they are the best for the day. If Ooze can complete his reinvention as a comitted and effectual player then that's great, as he does have talent. However if as I and a few others suspect, possibly his time in the time is due for expiry then he will strugle.

I have no wish to be right.. would rather we won :)

I'll look past the condescension and reply that we are talking past each other. You deride his attack on the ball and the man, as do many of us, if not all.

I say he should still be held in great regard as a servant of this footy club. From what I gather, you agree, albeit before his laser skills deserted him.

I personally don't have him in the 25 come round one, and I would hazard a guess that you wouldn't either.

So Yze: soft, frontrunner, valued skills for better part of a decade, fine career, and not in the starting 22 come 2008.

Agree?

I am actually 50/50 re Round 1 on whether Yze is there. I just think unless there is a quantum change in Yze he will battle to survive 2008.

I just wonder how much latitude DB will give him. I dont think DB will give him the wide lisence ND gave him.

BTW, I think you are close on Yze. For me, Yze is a career in halves with 2002 the split point. Like each year I will continue to watch him closely.

Guest fatty
I am actually 50/50 re Round 1 on whether Yze is there. I just think unless there is a quantum change in Yze he will battle to survive 2008.

I just wonder how much latitude DB will give him. I dont think DB will give him the wide lisence ND gave him.

BTW, I think you are close on Yze. For me, Yze is a career in halves with 2002 the split point. Like each year I will continue to watch him closely.

To put it simply, the game has passed Yze by. I don’t think he can ever be the player that you want/expect him to be in today’s brand of football. There’s been no attitude change in the way he’s played his football post-2002. But the way football is played today has changed.

As a generalisation only:

70’s: outside flashy wingmen, utilities

80’s: tough, competitive

90’s: athletic, running

00’s: tough, athletic, competitive, running

Adem Yze would have excelled in the 70’s and did so in the 90’s. He’s the prototype 90’s footballer.

If he’s in the team Rd1, 2008, he’d better play bloody well.

I wonder how Keith Greig/Brian Wood/Robbie Flower would manage in today’s game.

Yze (No need for games, he played every one from '98-'06, and 9 in '07

I reckon with a new coach and a fresh approach every player should start with a clean slate. Having said that I think people have short memories and tire of older players. Adem Yze is in the half dozen most skillful players I've seen at Melbourne (since about 1980). In his younger days he ran hard, won a lot of contested ball, was a dangerous player overhead (particularly forward) and had great vision and kicking skills. But as he's getting older these skills are fading.

Sadly I think it's his enthusiasm for the game that has faded more than anything. He plays without hunger and urgency. He too often goes through the motions.

His injury last year may have been the best thing to happen to him. He's in the last year of his contract and I'd imagine he'll be keen for another. Whether that comes and what level it's pitched will be totally determined by his output and approach this year. If he can't muster his enthusiasm for the game he's unlikely to play beyond this season at Melbourne.

Statistically Yze hasn't been too bad over the last few years. But that doesn't tell the story. Many of his possessions have been "cheap". He rarely puts himself in dangerous positions anymore; he rarely works to provide options; he doesn't do much "unrewarded" running; he rarely takes a hit for the team and he doesn't always go when it's his turn. But most of all the stats don't show what he does when he doesn't have the ball. And that is where he fails most.

This will be an interesting year for many reasons and for many players. Adem Yze's story will be one of the more interesting ones.

I reckon with a new coach and a fresh approach every player should start with a clean slate. Having said that I think people have short memories and tire of older players. Adem Yze is in the half dozen most skillful players I've seen at Melbourne (since about 1980). In his younger days he ran hard, won a lot of contested ball, was a dangerous player overhead (particularly forward) and had great vision and kicking skills. But as he's getting older these skills are fading.

Sadly I think it's his enthusiasm for the game that has faded more than anything. He plays without hunger and urgency. He too often goes through the motions.

His injury last year may have been the best think to happen to him. He's in the last year of his contract and I'd imagine he'll be keen for another. Whether that comes and what level it's pitched will be totally determined by his output and approach this year. If he can't muster his enthusiasm for the game he's unlikely to play beyond this season at Melbourne.

Statistically Yze hasn't been too bad over the last few years. But that doesn't tell the story. Many of his possessions have been "cheap". He rarely puts himself in dangerous positions anymore; he rarely works to provide options; he doesn't do much "unrewarded" running; he rarely takes a hit for the team and he doesn't always go when it's his turn. But most of all the stats don't show what he does when he doesn't have the ball. And that is where he fails most.

This will be an interesting year for many reasons and for many players. Adem Yze's story will be one of the more interesting ones.

Agree, Adem is in the best half dozen MFC players for the MFC in recent times (not counting the current young brigade as too early to judge them overall). With a new coach and regime will be interesting to see how several senior players go. From the above posts several underestimate the value a fully fit Ooze has been to MFC. We hope he has a good 2008

most of all the stats don't show what he does when he doesn't have the ball. And that is where he fails most.

I suspect you were listening to Doran's replayed interview with Schwass this afternoon.

How do you think Yze would've gone with Pagan ? :lol:

Spot on

Am happy enough if Adem puts in enough to get games this year and truly contribute. I think he's kidding himself though if he really thinks his career is going to go much furhter than 2008.

The thing is Adem , if he was so really concerned more for fitmess and accontabliltiy than any mention of records could easily have declared himslef unfit for any game and so ended the preposterous game he played in cahoots it seems with a co operative coach. But he didnt...so we can fairly assume his priorities are not as he would have us beleive. Actions are far louder than words !!.

To be totally truyhful i have admired like many his amazing skills. I suppose this is what aggrieves many is so much ability..so litel delivery !!

what irks me is he always strikes me as the kid who nicks another piece of cake when he thinks no one is looking !! Ive seen him lay on cowardly, yes COWARDLY tackles ..cheap shots to look good..and shirk some realt contests. Yes Adem..some people WERE watching !!

enjoy the year..thanks for efforts...dont slam door on way out

watch what your saying buddy you never know who is reading!

soft cheap call him wat u want. he has done nothing but good for MFC. i dont care if he has a pathedic 2008 i am thankful for a player like him over the years .. so often he and robbo have provided highlights in seasons which i would rather forget and there is many of them.

ummm .... Statistically Yze hasn't been too bad over the last few years. But that doesn't tell the story. Many of his possessions have been "cheap". He rarely puts himself in dangerous positions anymore; he rarely works to provide options; he doesn't do much "unrewarded" running; he rarely takes a hit for the team and he doesn't always go when it's his turn. But most of all the stats don't show what he does when he doesn't have the ball. And that is where he fails most.

that sentence is all good... but im affraid one single inncident will sit in ur mind and can be exaggerated thats WHY WE USE STATISTICS ... hard solid evidence

good luck in 2008 ooze

watch what your saying buddy you never know who is reading!

doesnt concern me one iota !! lol.. I know what Ive seen !! and I'm not the only one. If he's half the player even HE thinks he is.. he'll know himself he's let himself down on these occasions !!