• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Phantom Draft ...

sylvinator

Just so people know, i am not an expert. however i did watch the 4 matches in the national championships. most of what im basing my thoughts on is the little knowledge from the chamionships, and also from reading other 'supposed' experts who have written up draft profiles and phantom drafts on other forums- yes even bigfooty...1 out of 10000 people on there know what theyre talking about.

1. Matthew Kreuzer (Carlton)

will go number 1 for sure... seems like he'll become a player like Josh Fraser, which for me would be great coz that means he'll end up being an average player. 199cm of his agility dont come along very often, and carlton have no good ruckman so it a certainty.

2. Cale Morton (Richmond)

wil go at number 2 ahead of Cotchin, and this is not such a surprise. he has the best skills in this years draft, and if he slips to 4 i would be stoked. perfect replacement for johnstone if we get him, but i cant see him slipping.

3. Trent Cotchin (West Coast)

this guy looks classy and will be a great afl footballer. most impressive about him is he is just as good on his left as he is his right foot. he will play in the forward line first 1-2 years of his career. if he slips to our pick, we will 100% take him.

4. Chris Masten (Melbourne)

This guy is gonna be a star midfielder no doubt. is inside and outside player and a midfield on Mclean, Sylvia, Jones and Masten will be VERY exciting. he has a touch of OP but we will regret it if we dont take him, bc if his OP can be managed, he will be awesome. other possibility at pick4 is Palmer (slightly less rated than Masten) and Ebert. with pick14 and 21 also, we will be going for the best midfielder.

5. Lachie Henderson (Western Bulldogs)

The bulldogs simply dont have enough quality talls on their list. with only 1 top pick this year, they will be drafting for needs. Henderson is the best true KPP available and the dogs will take him.

6. Ben McEvoy (Essendon)

This guy has recently sky-rocketed to a top5 draft prospect, and while some suggest he will slide, i cant see him going past the bombers. is the best true ruckman in the draft, and has shown he can play key forward as well...i wish we could nab him, but wont be around at pick14

7. Rhys Palmer (Fremantle)

Freo will be stoked to get him at 7. if either of Masten and Palmer are available at that pick, freo will pounce of these WestAustralians. his national champs was awesome.

8. Brad Ebert (Brisbane)

187cm midfielder. is very classy. looks like he'll become a good allround player. captain of his state, but was heavily tagged in the championships. definite top 10 pick.

9. David Myers (St Kilda)

This guy is very highly rated by everyone. he will be a great afl player, playing half back flank, wing and even key back. if he slips to 14 we will 100% take this kid. an up-n-comin defense of Rivers, Frawley and Myers would be 3 quality key backs.

10. Cyril Rioli (Adelaide)

This kid is a steal at 10. if he is available at pick 14 we should take him in a flash. he is an absolute gun. huge pace, great skills. will play forward line to start with, then midfield. he is a good fit for the demons bc we need a small forward to help Davey, but doubt he'll be available.

11. Tom Collier (Sydney)

Collier will probably be gone by our pick. he is a future CHB and has the pace to play midfield. whoever gets him will be very happy and he is exactly what sydney need.

12. Alex Rance (Hawthorn)

is a very highly rated backman, but being a fullback, i can see him slipping abit. i hope he slips to 14 but unlikely. will be a scarlett-esk fullback.

13. Scott Selwood (West Coast)

Some people dont rate him, but i reckon he'll be a gun. good endurance and speed. wont be as good as joel, but will be better than his other 2 brothers (and both of them are very good footballers). he will go quite high i think, and will not pass geelong at 17

14. David Gourdis (Melbourne)

Is the next best key forward still available, and we should be bloody happy to get him. will eventually play CHF i think, and looks like he'll definitely become a great afl player. Newton, Bate and Gourdis will be quality key forwards in years to come. we will definitely go key position with this pick for 2 reasons. firstly because there are lots of very quality KPP that are around still at this pick, and secondly bc we took a midfield with pick 4. Collier, Myers, Henderson and Rance will be other key position players that we'll be hoping will slide.

15. Jake Grimes (Kangaroos)

will compliment kangaroos midfield. will become a definite 100 game player, because despite not being the most polished of midfielders, he has gerat work ethic and great leadership. runs an awesome beep test as well. whoever gets him should be very happy.

16. Jarrad Grant (Port Adelaide)

Some say he will go at pick5 to the bulldogs, others say he will slip to the 3rd round. i think hell definitely be a 1st rounder. will be a great key forward (though a bit short at 191cm) but needs alot of development. Port Adelaide need key forwards!

17. Steve Gaertner (Geelong)

this kid is an athletic freak. much better athletic propect than even Tom Williams, who was similar before he was drafted as a top10 pick by the bulldogs. at 196cm, he is a tantalizing propect and will probably become a CHB, if he is taught how to play. Geelong clearly need Key defensive back ups (as seen by their problems when Egan was injured)- Scarlett, Milburn and Harley are all getting on. this guy will take a while, but geelong can afford a guy who'll take a couple of years and can afford to take the risk. i'd love this guy if he slipped to 21, because he could become nothing, but could be the biggest steal of the draft.

18. Patty Veszpremi (Richmond)

i'm hoping he'll slip to 21, because this guy has x-factor, and will definitely become a good afl player. will add to any team immediately. great work ethic as well.

19. Scott Simpson (Western Bulldogs)

This guy is a key forward, and is a pretty safe bet that he'll become a good afl player. bulldogs will be looking at his for pick 19 and will be a good get.

20. Addam Maric (West Coast)

He's a small forward, who has rediculous accuracy. West Coast aren't desperate for a small/median sized forward, but is too good to pass up. could become a star, or maybe a nothing player (because he hasnt shown that he can play midfield)...guyz who know where the goals are, are very very useful. this guy is exciting

21. Tayte Pears (Melbourne)

Maybe i'm being unrealistic than Pears will drop this far, but if he does, he is our man. will become a very very good KPP and together with Gourdis will add another quality young KPP to add to Newton, Bate, Frawley and Rivers. this guy wll be great, my fingers are definitely crossed.

Other players who are definitely ligitimate top 21 picks who i couldnt fit in are:

Thomas Bellchambers- we might wanna go for a ruckman at 21, and he is the next best available. With White nearing the end, Jamar clearly no answer, PJ showing he cant be a number1 ruck and Meesan completely unproven, we will need to take another ruckman in this draft. We might take one at pick 53 though instead of at 21.

Levi Greenwood- blue collar midfielder, we be a good afl player.

Tony Notte- i believe this guy could be the steal of the draft. 194cm but so skinny that clubs might be scared off to use their 1st round picks. if he fills out (and like Ferguson, that is a big 'if') he could become a star.

Dan McKenna, Patrick McGinnity, Dangerfield, Robbie Tarrant, Arrowsmith, Dawson Simpson (207cm) are other definite possibilities for first round picks.

-------

so...if we got Masten, Gourdis and Pears i'd be stoked. their are about 25 really exciting quality prospects in this draft, and after that it falls away. but luckily we have 3 picks in the first 21, so we are sure to get 3 quality youngsters.

what are people's thoughts?

Theres really no point predicting because anything and usally everything happens

yes true, anything and everything could happen...but its still fun to analyze, predict and argue before it happens...

thats what's enjoyable about a football forum...

Had a dream this morning just before I woke up that I woke up and it was draft day. 4 weeks early of course. Masten, Rance and Scott Simpson will do just nicely. A ruckman with a later pick will also be good. Can't wait until next season!!

Good work sylvinator, was waiting for one of these to show up on here. Would definitely be happy with Masten and Gourdis at 4 and 14, assuming Rance is gone at that stage (probable). At 21 I would be delighted for us to get Pat Veszpremi; as you say it sounds like he can really break a game open.

It will be interesting to see if Cotchin goes to Richmond. It might make things very interesting re Cale Morton if he does.

I've heard that Masten is a star who models his game on Cousins but i've also heard that he had OP which is a worry. Remember, we picked up Sylvia at Pick 3 and he still hasn't gotten his body right after 4 years :o

I think we should get Cotchin(if available) or Palmer because it would be a massive risk getting Masten if he has OP which can be a long term injury.

The upcoming draft

1. Kruezer: Any talks about him not being picked up is off their meds.

2. Cale Morton: Kicking freak who is suited to the way the game is being played. A bigger and better sweeping upgrade of Joel bowden.

3. T.Cotchin: Eagles should be stoked to get him as he can kick so well of either foot..which is rare.

4. B.McEvoy: Here we are at Melbourne in need of a KPP and a ruckmen, and McEvoy is both. On draft day we will hear 'Melbourne draft selection 4' and CAC respond 'Melbourne select Ben McEvoy, Murray Bushrangers'

5. Lachlan Henderson: Dogs will draft for need subconsciously and pick up the best Key forward in this draft(arguably).

I'm quietly confident that is how it will pan out. I wouldn't be surprised if the following players slip outside the 10- Palmer and Rance(not many too people would anyway)

i would be shattered if we to McEvoy. he isnt an AFL KPP. he hasnt the speed and agility to translate his game as a junior into a senior player. He looks to ha ve great hands etc but his speed and mobility is a huge concern. As i see it there isnt a KPP of worth at 4. I hope CAC sees it my way. will be happy with any of the utility/mids around at 4.

McEvoy tests 3.20 seconds over 20 metres which is very slow for a modern day tall in the AFL even a 200cm tall.

McEvoy lopes around when he plays and has got no change of speed and cant change direction quickly enough to be dominant at AFL level. If you were to play him at Full Forward or Centre Half Forward he would get badly exposed by the Leo Barry, Darren Glass, Matt Maguire, Matt Scarlett Modern day AFL Defender who spoil, recover and run off their man. I doubt his ability to play AFL Ruck as well as his ruck work is suspect and lacks agression at the contest. I know many in the AFL world rate him highly - Chris Pelchen at Hawthorn has him at #4 on his rankings but I doubt he could become a star which is what pick 4 should net your club if you have a top 5 pick. AFL backmen are getting quicker and quicker and as a result you need a forward that can lead quickly, turn quickly and recover quickly after a contest to be competitive in the AFL. Which rules out Scott Simpson I am afraid as well.

Talls in the draft that have displayed those qualities are Alex Rance, Chris Kangars, Tom Collier, Tayte Pears, Steven Gaertner, Jared Boumann, Dean Putt, Hugh Sandilands, Robbie Tarrant.

McEvoy tests 3.20 seconds over 20 metres which is very slow for a modern day tall in the AFL even a 200cm tall.

McEvoy lopes around when he plays and has got no change of speed and cant change direction quickly enough to be dominant at AFL level. If you were to play him at Full Forward or Centre Half Forward he would get badly exposed by the Leo Barry, Darren Glass, Matt Maguire, Matt Scarlett Modern day AFL Defender who spoil, recover and run off their man. I doubt his ability to play AFL Ruck as well as his ruck work is suspect and lacks agression at the contest. I know many in the AFL world rate him highly - Chris Pelchen at Hawthorn has him at #4 on his rankings but I doubt he could become a star which is what pick 4 should net your club if you have a top 5 pick. AFL backmen are getting quicker and quicker and as a result you need a forward that can lead quickly, turn quickly and recover quickly after a contest to be competitive in the AFL. Which rules out Scott Simpson I am afraid as well.

Talls in the draft that have displayed those qualities are Alex Rance, Chris Kangars, Tom Collier, Tayte Pears, Steven Gaertner, Jared Boumann, Dean Putt, Hugh Sandilands, Robbie Tarrant.

Sounds like a younger version of Ben Holland - oh dear.

What about Grant and Gourdis? I believe Grant is a very quick forward with sticky hands.

edit - thanks wheels with the reply

What about Grant and Gourdis? I believe Grant is a very quick forward with sticky hands.

Watching Gourdis play against Vic Metro I was pretty impressed. He's got decent pace and good size about him, but one thing that really stood out was that, as a lead-up CHF, he has a really good, thinking approach to his delivery. He doesn't just wheel around and bomb it inside 50 every time, nor does he dish-off Miller style every time. He looks for a leading option and then has the good kicking skills to execute the pass. Once or twice he even placed the ball amongst 2-3 Vic Metro defenders for a WA forward to mark.

I would be very happy to take him; other than being perhaps a tad short for the position, he would make a very good leading CHF with a bit of time in the gym and working on his fitness.

Ben Holland analogy suits I reckon.

Grant tested 2.89sec which is very quick, has super hands the best I have seen on a junior in a long time just doesnt fumble and feeds off very quickly under pressure. Huge concerns on his mental state and his ability to handle an AFL lockeroom environment, he is a nutcase simple as that. I wouldnt want him at my club as he is a huge high maintenance issue and will take constant watch and care to keep him in line - a massive challenge. Very similar talk about Grant as to talk about Buddy Franklin before that draft and the Hawks have had murder keeping Buddy in line particularly 1-2 years after he was drafted, both are freakishly talented footballers but the risk taking one particularly early in a draft is too great for some recruiting managers. Despite the success of Franklin, I dont think Grant will reach the same level and could go the way of other high picks Sampi and Beetham and out of the system before there time.

Gourdis super quick 2.83sec and is 193cm, super leap 83cm which is as good as Jared Brennan. Good workrate presents and presents at CHF and is a powerful athlete with a powerful body, will go inside the top 30. I have a doubt about his foot skills though but would under consideration for pick 21 I reckon.

Here's an interresting article from footygoss on the TOP WA DRAFT PICKS

1. Cale Morton (Claremont) – 17yo 192cm 75kg wing/forward

2. Rhys Palmer (East Fremantle) – 18yo 180cm 76kg midfielder

3. Chris Masten (East Fremantle) – 18yo 179cm 78kg midfielder

4. Alex Rance (Swan Districts) – 18yo 194cm 87kg defender

5. David Myers (Perth) – 18yo 190cm 85kg defender / midfielder

6. Steven Browne (West Perth) – 18yo 181cm 74kg midfielder

7. Matthew DeBoer (Claremont) – 17yo 185cm 81kg midfielder

8. Tayte Pears (East Perth) – 17yo 192cm 90kg defender

9. Tony Notte (Swan Districts) – 17yo 194cm 72kg key forward

10. Patrick McGinnity (Claremont) – 18yo 182cm 75kg midfielder

11. Trent Dennis-Lane (Subiaco) – 19yo 178cm 78kg forward

12. David Gourdis (Subiaco) – 18yo 193cm 88kg forward

13. Chris Mayne (Perth) – 19yo 188cm 85kg forward

14. Jarrhan Jacky (Subiaco) – 18yo 180cm 71kg Forward

15. Luke Sampey (East Perth) – 18yo 191cm 91kg key forward

16. Josh Smith (West Perth) – 21yo 194cm 105kg key forward

17. Cruize Garlett (Perth) – 18yo 172cm 70kg Forward

18. Callum Wilson (South Fremantle) – 19yo 191cm 89kg key defender

19. Lewis Stevenson (Claremont) – 18yo 185cm 75kg wing

20. Luke Pratt (Swan Districts) – 18yo defender

• 2 weeks later...
Ben Holland analogy suits I reckon.

Grant tested 2.89sec which is very quick, has super hands the best I have seen on a junior in a long time just doesnt fumble and feeds off very quickly under pressure. Huge concerns on his mental state and his ability to handle an AFL lockeroom environment, he is a nutcase simple as that. I wouldnt want him at my club as he is a huge high maintenance issue and will take constant watch and care to keep him in line - a massive challenge. Very similar talk about Grant as to talk about Buddy Franklin before that draft and the Hawks have had murder keeping Buddy in line particularly 1-2 years after he was drafted, both are freakishly talented footballers but the risk taking one particularly early in a draft is too great for some recruiting managers. Despite the success of Franklin, I dont think Grant will reach the same level and could go the way of other high picks Sampi and Beetham and out of the system before there time.

Gourdis super quick 2.83sec and is 193cm, super leap 83cm which is as good as Jared Brennan. Good workrate presents and presents at CHF and is a powerful athlete with a powerful body, will go inside the top 30. I have a doubt about his foot skills though but would under consideration for pick 21 I reckon.

Grant has awesome hands, your right, but he is no nutcase. He needs to get his head in the right place and keep it there, but its not cause he is pyscho. The kid has shown some skills, but every game i have seen, he hasn't been the best player out there, top three or four maybe, but never number 1. Good player but not sure if he could cope in AFL.