• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Who do you want to coach?

jiska78

Coach of Melbourne in 2008  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If Sheedy was on offer...id take him in a heartbeat, or quicker if possible :-)

He can come with all his Martian and Seagull paraphanalia too !! lol

I think Sheedy would be a good fit and I also believe that Denis Pagan wouldn't be bad either. Having said that, the likes of Voss, Viney, Ratten etc. cannot be overlooked either.

Whoever it is though has a HUGE task ahead of them though. While we do have plenty of upside I think that we need to make some very tough decisions before we, as a club, become simply irrelevant. While we have stability off the ground we have too many passengers on the ground and it reflects poorly on the club. We can talk about injuries all we like but we have too many who do too little. Green got alot of possessions on the weekend, but what does he do with them? Cam Bruce is the same and his disposal is a disgrace. McLean is way out of form and who knows what is going on with Moloney - Ben Holland moves quicker than him these days. Jones and McDonald would be the only two who are excused. Trades need to be made... but I'm not sure if anyone holds enough currency to other clubs.

Our backline is still suspect. Again, hard decisions need to be made. Rivers, Bell, Whelan and Petterd are still the future there, but what of our tall backs? Frawley shows promise but we can't expect too much from him at this age. Carroll fights out of his weight division and should never be more than third tall, while Holland, Ferguson, Miller and Warnock are not up to it (although I still love how hard Holland works for the team, you could never fault him for that!). Bizzell has been fantastic but he is the wrong side of 30. Ward, Brown and C. Johnson are not up to it either - they might not be terrible, but we NEED to make tough decisions.

And our forward line isn't up to it yet either. Neitz has one year left in him if his body will allow it, Robbo is still inconsistent, Bate is undersized, Sylvia floats in and out of games, Davey has 2 good games then 4 bad games, Garland and Juice are still too green and while Dunn has shown a bit he seems to have gone backwards in the second half of the year. And the question still remains, as it has since 2002 - who the hell do we have to play at CHF? Not Bate, that's for sure. He is a HFF. Dunn? Probably not tall enough either. Newton? Needs more petrol in the tank and a bigger body. Garland? Not even close. Miller? Ha!.

I think that there are probably 5 or 6 people who can coach our club but I think in the end that is NOT the biggest issue we face. Our biggest issue is making the hard decisions to turn our list into a premiership threat. I appreciate the fact that we cannot simply cull 12-13 players before next year, but we need to take a few risks, trade some players and set ourselves for a huge tilt in the next few years. Our under 23's look good - everything else about that is looking shaky. Let's hope whoever does come in can fix it.

where exactly DO they put the use by stamp?

this is Soooo cliche without substance....are you age-phobic or something

With his years comes experience.. Its unrivalled in the AFL . He doesnt have to kick the bloody thing.

the words Young and experienced are often contra to each other... you want experience.. again...read carefully....SHEEDY !!

would you have placed Rommel in charge of tank maintenace ??

Sheedy or Ratten for me.

Sheedy because he is a master coach, for those who worry about the fact he plays favourites, so what. He won't be able to do that if he came to Melbourne. He doesn't really know any of the players too well. The only one i think he would play favourites with is Flash, and we are a better team with him in. He also likes to have the Aboriginal boys in the 50, coz he knows they can pull a rabbit out of a hat. Flash plays best in the forward line, running down opponents, ala 2004-2006.

Sheedy is a huge tick for mine, and not only that, the amount of media coverage, sponsorship, etc he would bring to the place would be a lot more than our abilities to do so at the moment.

Ratten having already been an assistant coach back in '04, knows the list better than any other candidate, besides Reilly. Our midfield was fantastic back in 2004, along with Thompson :angry:

He too would be a coach i would have no problem with in taking the reigns at Melbourne.

I'm happy with either guys coaching Melbourne, with Sheedy slightly ahead.

Here's just a thought. Would we be happy to get Neill Craig (aka Craig David) as coach if he were to become available? Just a hypothetical

McKenna fits the three key criteria:

Must have won a premiership as player or coach,

Must have played tough accountable skilled football,

Must have prior successful coaching experience.

This Guy is the real deal and will take us to the top.

Cheers

Sheeds is past his use-by date. I want someone young, experienced and has a history with the club.

Viney can do to Melb what Roos has done with Syd and Woosha with the weagles.

Viney has never won a flag-so he is not yet ready

viney my choice ,says he is ready 3 years under clarkson

Agreed.

But as an understaudy to Sheedy for say 2-3 years, then an agreed handover.

I fsheedy comes across, the facts are there needs to be a succession plan, and Viney will be clearly ready by then, and have spent time under a master coach.

Guest BROCKY'S BANGERS
SHEEDY ALL THE WAY OR GUY MCKENNA WOULD BE MY SECOND CHOICE . SHEEDY WOULD BE SENSATIONAL FOR THE CLUB. WE MIGHT FINALLY GET A DECENT MEMBERSHIP!! :)

If I had my way ... I would love to see 3 or 4 of those names on that list at MFC next year.

IMHO we have a unique opportunity to unite and get stronger. Thats assuming this whole "coaching merry-go round" saga is handled properly by the SUPPORTER base.

Lets leave the internal combustion and self destruction to our "mates" at bomberland.

IMHO we all need to settle down , stop threating to "burn" our memberships, bras and first born children and let the process take its place. Let our elected board do its job and lets start looking forward and upward.

Lets stop jumping at shadows.

Lets start talking positively about all aspects of the Melbourne Football Club.

Lets start talking positively about all candidates.

Lets use this site to unite 110% behind the process.

Lets make the Melbourne job the "plume" job for 2008 and onwards.

Honestly I dont and cant wait another 42 years to win a flag.

United we stand to attract the best candidate ... divided we crumble.

I have been a fan of going for someone new but since Essendon got rid of Sheedy I have made a complete turnaround. What the club has always lacked is respect. There is no person in the AFL with more respect than Sheedy the 50 pages by the Herald Sun and Age said it all.

What respect Pagan had was completely taken away by Carlton. It would be the worst move the club would ever make.

Connelly would be a waste of time he is too similar to Daniher just watch their interviews on Before The Game and then tell me they are not similar. He has done nothing at Freo, they are constant underacheivers just like us we must get rid of everyone that has been at Freo so we can get rid of this Fremantle culture that doesn't work.

I have no idea on what people see in Ratten. He left our club with 1 more year on his contract he should have stuck with it and if he wanted to coach a country team after his 2 years then that would have been fine. Then he goes to Carlton who are a joke what kind of winning culture could he give.

Hopefully Sheedy can do for us what Barassi done for the Swans. If we don't get Sheedy I would still be happy with either McKenna or Viney.

sheedy for mine, i think he would be great! all this 'past his used by date' is crap... if he can average a premiership every 6 years he is doing something right.

we need someone who has had nothing to do with the club and its mentality over that last 20 to 30 years, so that rules out viney, conolly and ratten.

Pagan would be a disaster

McKenna would be a good find from all reports

Ideal situation: we can get someone to work under sheeds for 4 or 5 years and then take over.

The club has a massive opportunity to set a new standard and culture with this choice of coach... i just really hope they make the right decision.

by the way, does anyone know when we can expect a result?? im assuming sometime after the GF but before preseason starts, or could it be earlier?