Bring in Newton

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

again youd have to think this was the perfectly scripted opportunity !! Chuck him in..see what he is up to whilst Neeta recovers.. seems all too logicial really ( sorry..that put the mockers on it huh !! ). I reckon it would worry Wallce if a semi unknown quantity was introduced up front. It would seriously strain his already dodgy defence. The last thing Richmond want is breaking out of the middle and lobbing to a guy(s) who can mark in contests.

well lets see if Danners is paying attention..lol

Since I am now living in Brissy, the only sandy games i see are on ABC2 or on a rare trip to melbourne. I seriuosly don't know much about newton, but i have noticed his selection is probably the main cause for discussion on this board. Would love to see wat the fuss is about against richmond. Also, I am half glad nieta misses some games, was not looking forward to a trip to adelaide for a twilight game from Brisbane for his 300th.

again youd have to think this was the perfectly scripted opportunity !!

I keep harping on about this, I know, but there is one factor that makes me think it's NOT the perfectly scripted opportunity. I think had Robbo had the operation, THAT would be the perfect time. I think Juice will be hard pressed to come in and take the second-best defender, and Neitz usually wipes out about 2 when he crashes a pack. Personally I'd like to see all those leading half forwards like Bate, Sylvia and Dunn rotate with Juice, and were he up to it this early Garland. Personally if Robbo and Neita are playing, I reckon Juice would go better. But if he shares the square with Robbo, I have some nerves for him.

I keep harping on about this, I know, but there is one factor that makes me think it's NOT the perfectly scripted opportunity. I think had Robbo had the operation, THAT would be the perfect time. I think Juice will be hard pressed to come in and take the second-best defender, and Neitz usually wipes out about 2 when he crashes a pack. Personally I'd like to see all those leading half forwards like Bate, Sylvia and Dunn rotate with Juice, and were he up to it this early Garland. Personally if Robbo and Neita are playing, I reckon Juice would go better. But if he shares the square with Robbo, I have some nerves for him.

Mate, the season is gone (I know it is still possible but we won't make finals), I'm not expecting him to kick 5 on debut, I just want to see him get a run.

The Richmond focus will be all on Robbo anyway with Neita out so I'm not that worried.

i want him to debut just so demonland can start talking about something else...haha

the only topics of discussion on demonland:

1) when will newton debut

2) is bell overrated

3) is miller any good

4) how weak is Yze

5) bruce can't kick

8) we all love Mclean

atleast we've moved on from last years continual discussion on how [censored] dutchy and godfrey are.

go dees.

btw i reckon it's bloody great that this young guy can keep the fans excited even when our season is shot. i've never seen him play, but iv heard all the reports of his vfl performances and i'm bloody excited. if he plays im imagining our savior next FF to lead us to glory!

i want him to debut just so demonland can start talking about something else...haha

the only topics of discussion on demonland:

1) when will newton debut

2) is bell overrated

3) is miller any good

4) how weak is Yze

5) bruce can't kick

8) we all love Mclean

you have a point ...

Newton should be played alongside David Neitz, however any game time at all is appreciated.

Dappa is right, now Newton will attract the second best defender as a marking forward. It would have much better for his development to have Neitz next to him to take the pressure off and also show him how to play as a big forward instead of starting games on the bench in the VFL.

Beat me to it.

This place gets very original about half-way through a season.

I'd like to see Newton given a game, and the opportunity is there against probably a weaker side with a young and inexperienced backline. But will the club change their plan for him? Probably not, and maybe that's a good thing.

Dunn and Miller, despite being ordinary on the weekend, still have the runs on the board and are still ahead of Newton in the line for a recall.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if they give Dunn a game instead. It would be nice for Newton to be named as an emergency though, just to know that he's getting close...

Oh, and you can never have too many "we love Brock McLean" threads! :P

This week presents the perfect opportunity for Newton to be selected in the team. This is a game that isn't being played for sheep stations - we're 15th on the ladder and even if we have a good run we're going to finish somewhere in the bottom half of the ladder.

Is there anyone else with better form than Newton who we can put into the side? Miller kicked 6 against Coburg, zip against Box Hill. Newton kicked 2 and 3 after getting bags of 6 and 5 previously.

Lynden Dunn? He has had his chances and will get plenty more but right now you have to go for the player with consistent form. Newton is not a raw 17 year old, he's 20 and despite being a quiet country lad, his time has come and with all due respect to Richmond, it's not a pressure game against a top four contender like West Coast.

Finally, it's the Australian thing to do to give a bloke a go so I'm appealing to the coach and the selectors to do the right thing by the kid and play him on Friday night! :rolleyes: Do it for the country mate!

So ..does Juice only get a run if he can play in 'stealth' mode, with no decent defender on him. ?? wtf.. He will play up front..he WILL get a defender. Its the nature of the game for chrisake !!

its an opportune time because no one is really being dropped for him, injury is doing it.

Juice is a similar height to Neeta.. and can mark.

You know its the so like this club that ppl take the negative route to this situation. Instead of thinking how any team and in this instance the Tiggers will counter a talent like Juice , many take the stance of how will he fair with the defenders. He will deal with it thats what he and any forward does. The pressure is on the defence not the forward.

He is either going to play next to Robbo..or nextto Neeta..as happenstance has it an opening is there to play next to Robbo.

Robbo will naturally get the best minder...what happens after that can only fall into our lap.. either the Tigs #2 defender will take up Juice leaving an opportunity for our forward line to expose this mismatch..or Juice WILL get the #3..giving him some room to move, either way its a win for us.

I really dont see what the problem is

Dunn and Miller, despite being ordinary on the weekend, still have the runs on the board and are still ahead of Newton in the line for a recall.

Why are they ahead right now? Dunn's performances over the last four weeks have been (at the very best) ordinary, and definitely not up to AFL standard and Miller's has been even worse. Newton though, on the other hand could not have been much better considering he hasn't had the same opportunities.

Why are they ahead right now? Dunn's performances over the last four weeks have been (at the very best) ordinary, and definitely not up to AFL standard and Miller's has been even worse. Newton though, on the other hand could not have been much better considering he hasn't had the same opportunities.

Because they have both proven that they can play at this level.

And this is not a cue for people to start blasing Miller for being an ordinary AFL forward.

Dunn has done more than enough IMO to get a recall, even if he wasn't brilliant at Sandy. He was unlucky to be dropped to begin with.

Look, I really want to see Newton play, but I'm not holding my breath and I'm not going to slash my wrists if he doesn't play until later in the year.

I'm going to go do a bit of research on the Tigers' backline, and I'll be back. At the moment, I'm trying to work out who Richmond will play on Juice if he gets a game, given that Bowden will obviously take Robbo.

Let's cut to the chase. To those who have actually seen him play - particularly over the past 4 - 6 weeks, is he ready? Seems simple enough doesn't it. Thousands of words typed on this forum about how exciting the lad is, how much potential he has and how much people would like to have a look at him but the simple question remains, is he ready?

Because they have both proven that they can play at this level.

And this is not a cue for people to start blasing Miller for being an ordinary AFL forward.

Dunn has done more than enough IMO to get a recall, even if he wasn't brilliant at Sandy. He was unlucky to be dropped to begin with.

Look, I really want to see Newton play, but I'm not holding my breath and I'm not going to slash my wrists if he doesn't play until later in the year.

I'm going to go do a bit of research on the Tigers' backline, and I'll be back. At the moment, I'm trying to work out who Richmond will play on Juice if he gets a game, given that Bowden will obviously take Robbo.

That line of thinking doesn't make sense though Jaded. Ok, they've played well before in the past but that isn't a reason it play them ahead of others who are in much better form - if that's really the case then we should pick up Robbie in the next draft. Dunn is meant to be a key forward but he can't take a contested mark to save himself, that's why Daniher was playing him on the wing and Bate and Sylvia up forward.

Ok, I'm back armed with Richmond knowledge *vomit*

Likely Tigers defence for Friday night:

Newman (183cm 85kg) - Yze/ Pickett/ Bruce

Bowden – I was thinking Robbo, but he might play on Bate so that he isn't dragged back to the square.

Deledio – Davey?

Polak – Robbo (danger match-up for the Tigers. They might go with Newman)

Raines- 184cm 81kg - Sylvia

This leaves Thursfield (191cm 83kg) to take on Miller or Dunn or Newton depends on who gets the game.

However, you'd have to think that if Newton gets a game and plays out of the goal square, his likely opponent will be Polak, who has been in good form this year. Which leaves Robbo with Bowden (we all remember the last time those two played against each other! :D).

Then of course you have to look at the weather. Is it likely to pour (at the moment they are saying 14 with 'increasing showers'), and if so, do we still bring in an extra tall, or play someone like Dunn who is very good below his knees, or maybe go with a small forward line all together?

No No No NO !! Not Miller.. he is worse than useless at AFL level up the sharp end, yes he's a proven entity.. aproven flop!! Well yes..Dunn is ok.. but we know a bit about him.. All this cr@p about Newton not proven at thsi level..well what a no brainer that is..all those taking this path of reasoning ( sic) take a bow.. What utter tripe !! How do YOU or I or anyone KNOW what he's capable of at this level...until he plays at this level.

how can anyone present an argument for not bringing him in against the BOTTOM team ?? when would many prefer...we wait for West Coast ?

About the only line of thinking I can abide to is if its raining cats and dogs !! and current forecasts are for a a shower or two !! hardly cause for concern.

richmond would love miller to play.. they know he will run 70 m away from goal..hell might as well list him on their team!!

Thursfiled...youre kidding me that anyone will worry about him yet!! he's a long way to go..Juice would eat him for breakfast.

have some faith in Newton to do the job, and if he doesnt..well we'll all know..and can move on.

I really dont see what the problem is

Whoa. Take it easy....

Take a squiz at my original post. My point was that there is HEAPS of reasons in the pro column for selecting Juice. His form, the quality of the opposition, the type of opposition defenders, The fact that he's not on his own, the lack of other tall forwards in good form (Dunn, Miller = indifferent).... I think you'll find I'm actually all FOR Juice getting selected.

My point was that if they wanted to play him, they could have for about 8 of the 11 rounds that have gone by already. Why haven't they? SO much has been written and my only answer left in my pea-brain is that they're waiting for a time when both Robbo and Neita are at full flight, Bate is in the midfield and there are no other options. Maybe they were just waiting for a match at the G to debut him, like Bate who was held back a week for his debut...

I don't agree with it mate... But then if I had it my way, Juice would have had his debut weeks ago. The thing is he will be counted on if he stands the square with Robbo and is the tallest bloke inside 50. And you're absolutely right. It's very simple. Now is the time to play him. Will he be played? I doubt it. Why? WHO KNOWS! We're all just guessing. And all I'm saying is that the footy department may be waiting for the PERFECT time to debut him.... Now is as good an opportunity as any, but it's not PERFECT....

Then of course you have to look at the weather. Is it likely to pour (at the moment they are saying 14 with 'increasing showers'), and if so, do we still bring in an extra tall, or play someone like Dunn who is very good below his knees, or maybe go with a small forward line all together?

I'd say that is more reason to bring him in given how he faired in the wet for Sandy.

And in reply to Dappa Dan saying we could have played him in 8 of the 11 games, I disagree. His early season form was nowhere near as good AND consistent it has been the last 5 or so weeks. And when he finally was stringing good games together Neitz and Robbo returned to the team.

I will be really disappointed if he isn't selected. I don't expect him to be the next messiah but I'd just love to see how he goes in the seniors. We have nothing to lose in playing him.

My point was that if they wanted to play him, they could have for about 8 of the 11 rounds that have gone by already. Why haven't they?

Well thats it really isnt it.. why havent they. But we cant change any of that...its gone ....under the bridge. But arguments for his inlcusion must be stronger now than they were over the last cpl of months.

Yes I agree there is no 'perfect' time.. but what is perfect?.. Bit like saying when do you have kids etc.. there isnt one.

Yep...spose we're essentially in agreement..as are we with many others.

let him play this week, he will get a a taste of afl level. we will then know how he is progressing and he himself will know where to improve. Richmond are wooden spooners this year for sure. Give newts a game, cause with the time he's had to wait, he'll make his debut when he's 25

The Dee's have been constantly drumming out the line, about the season not being over, this week by Sylvia in Herald Sun, Thus they will go with their best 22, that might mean they bring in Dunn, Pickett etc. I havent had the opportunity to see Newton play, however going by what people have written, is that he fades in and out of games. Yes he has kicked goals but I have read when he does he hasnt been named in their best.

Melbourne want to keep winning so if they pick him this week it will be a good sign, but I doubt it.

of course they have...the exuberance of youth.. funny the coach isn t saying quite the same thing !!

Wiser heads will know that youve bettter chance to win lotto than for the Dees to participate in Sep..thats just reality.

How or what gets the boys over th eline...thats up to them!!