2024 Player Reviews: #21 Matthew Jefferson

Demonland

Geezus are you blokes for real?? Get your friggen blinkers of! Oi he lays MORE tackles than Bailey Hairstyle and he gets a gig!!

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

On 10/10/2024 at 19:43, DeeZone said:

I would love to see Matt Jefferson play 10-15 games in 2025 to build his confidence and get a good look at him. Watching him at the B&F he looks taller and a bit solider than when I saw him out at Casey Fields family day. I like the HF flank suggestion provides the ability to move around and help free Fritsch up.
I think his problem will be Disco, he looked pretty good as the year wore on and will be hard to displace. Still nice problem to have.

Most of us here I am sure would be overjoyed were he to earn / deserve 10-15 games in 2025.  But not gifted to give him confidence 

On 11/10/2024 at 08:29, Doug Reemer said:

He’s going to need to do a Judd McVee and get super fit.

Send him to Geraldton to train with Judd’s grandpa??   Of course “doing a Judd McVee” in terms of tank and running does depend on his body type as well as hard work and determination. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Most of us here I am sure would be overjoyed were he to earn / deserve 10-15 games in 2025.  But not gifted to give him confidence 

Send him to Geraldton to train with Judd’s grandpa??   Of course “doing a Judd McVee” in terms of tank and running does depend on his body type as well as hard work and determination. 

Agree we don’t gift games but Jefferson was listed as an emergency in a number of games, so I am assuming that he isn’t far off according to match committee. On the other hand Turner May put a spanner in the works as I thought he looked very promising late in the season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeeZone said:

Agree we don’t gift games but Jefferson was listed as an emergency in a number of games, so I am assuming that he isn’t far off according to match committee. On the other hand Turner May put a spanner in the works as I thought he looked very promising late in the season.

Petty down back is the way

Turner is a possible swing player if Lever is injured

• Like 2

On 11/10/2024 at 14:59, old dee said:

Agree again DJ. I cannot see him as KPF in 2025. Doesn't have size/ weight from my observations. Never looks like he will turn a game at VFL level. 

Obviously you didn’t see many of the last 10/12 games of Jeffo in the VFL did you OD? 

Rather than simply judging him on his record and other judges ( which is complimentary, amazed, or still like you disillusioned and negative about his weight and competitiveness.) 

Most fans have at least mentioned his physique is much more developed, and his performance has improved immensely in intensity and tackling has been good. Consequently he has kicked 30 goals this season which is about the same as JVR in his 2022 (31 goals) results. 

The only way we will discover if he can bridge the gap is to give him opportunity when he earns it if a vacancy occurs. 

Input forward the suggestion that we look to play him on a HFFlank to be a mobile forward and  marking addition to the forward line. 

My point is that Jeffo has IMO some very good forward line skills and shows the aptitude of a forward and this gives me the conviction that he may well be successful at a higher level.

Let’s not get too negative about his weight or physique as not all forwards are muscle men ( Josh Kennedy for eg.) but wiry and still strong bodied. Fritta is not a strong or muscled up player but has enormous forward skills to compensate.

Unfortunately many D/Landers think Fritta should  be getting 8/10 tackles per game instead of 2/3 goals per game.

I know which I am happy with for our team. 

Same  as with Jeffo don’t try and compare his style say with JVR both are potentially good/ maybe in long term great forwards as is Disco also.

We will gain an advantage with contrasting skills of all our players and it’s a team game after all. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, 58er said:

Obviously you didn’t see many of the last 10/12 games of Jeffo in the VFL did you OD? 

Rather than simply judging him on his record and other judges ( which is complimentary, amazed, or still like you disillusioned and negative about his weight and competitiveness.) 

Most fans have at least mentioned his physique is much more developed, and his performance has improved immensely in intensity and tackling has been good. Consequently he has kicked 30 goals this season which is about the same as JVR in his 2022 (31 goals) results. 

The only way we will discover if he can bridge the gap is to give him opportunity when he earns it if a vacancy occurs. 

Input forward the suggestion that we look to play him on a HFFlank to be a mobile forward and  marking addition to the forward line. 

My point is that Jeffo has IMO some very good forward line skills and shows the aptitude of a forward and this gives me the conviction that he may well be successful at a higher level.

Let’s not get too negative about his weight or physique as not all forwards are muscle men ( Josh Kennedy for eg.) but wiry and still strong bodied. Fritta is not a strong or muscled up player but has enormous forward skills to compensate.

Unfortunately many D/Landers think Fritta should  be getting 8/10 tackles per game instead of 2/3 goals per game.

I know which I am happy with for our team. 

Same  as with Jeffo don’t try and compare his style say with JVR both are potentially good/ maybe in long term great forwards as is Disco also.

We will gain an advantage with contrasting skills of all our players and it’s a team game after all. 

Correct most of the games I missed were in the second half of the season. I hope you are correct he is sorely needed as a good player in the forward line. I just wish we didn’t have to keep using JVR as a ruckman. IMO he is barely passable as a ruckman and using him that way takes him out of the forward line. Reduces his chances of score involvement. 

• Like 1

On 17/10/2024 at 09:53, old dee said:

I just wish we didn’t have to keep using JVR as a ruckman. IMO he is barely passable as a ruckman and using him that way takes him out of the forward line. Reduces his chances of score involvement. 

Agree entirely that we shouldn’t use JVR as a ruckman (except for deep forward contests where the main ruck can drop a kick behind the play) but I don’t agree that his ruck work was barely passable; the fact that it was quite decent unfortunately made his a better choice for ruck back up.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Agree entirely that we shouldn’t use JVR as a ruckman (except for deep forward contests where the main ruck can drop a kick behind the play) but I don’t agree that his ruck work was barely passable; the fact that it was quite decent unfortunately made his a better choice for ruck back up.  

My last look at his stats as a ruckman were not good. IMO the best he does is provide a contest.

• Like 1

On 17/10/2024 at 01:06, 58er said:

If Fritsch got 5 tackles per game we would likely score 4-6 goals from those efforts.

Unfortunately its his efforts that are lacking

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KozzyCan said:

Hopefully he gets a shot next year. Would be massive if we could turn this guy into a player but I get the sense our coaching group has little confidence in him.

Then why make him emergency in last 4/5 games then???

6 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Why are you so sensitive when it comes to Jefferson? We all want to see him succeed.

I'm with you that he's showed some promise at VFL level. I went to quite a few Casey games where he really showed his potential but still struggles staying engaged and doing all the little things like blocking, shepherding etc. Its hard maintaining that intensity. Unlike JVR for Jefferson the competitive intensity doesn't come easily. But much like Fritta I think he can build on this and become AFL standard for sure. He has quite a lot of versatility too which is great.

Edited by Young Blood
  • Like 3

Surely lets just send Petty back and back in Van Rooyen, Turner and Jefferson in the front half. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, picket fence said:

I don't see being named emergency as a massive show of faith.

I think chasing just about every potentially gettable key forward over the past couple of years including guys like Waterman, who would have cost a decent amount, gives me the vibe we don't think Jefferson is going to be much of a mainstay.

• Like 1

I just think they see him as long term project player, I can see him sitting on our list for a while and playing a small amount of games over the next two years . I’m okay with that too.

fwiw Jed Busslinger is on a similar path at the dogs 

6 hours ago, KozzyCan said:

Hopefully he gets a shot next year. Would be massive if we could turn this guy into a player but I get the sense our coaching group has little confidence in him.

Check out Jeffo's Rookie me September power ranking and comments in his draft year.

Described as a good KP but skinny.

He was always going to take 2 or 3 seasons before getting get a game and that is the path the club chose.

Some expectations in these threads have been way over the top.

• Like 1