Three years on

Whispering_Jack

Twenty plus years of Top End servitude did allow myself and my youngest daughter the bona fides to border cross and attend the GF. After a half- time ‘spray’ from an intoxicated MFC supporting new chum. Plus a serious bout of MFCSS, post attendances at the ‘88 and 2000 GP’s. The third quarter momentum blitz was revelatory, life affirming and cathartic. T’was a Grand Old Flag.

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Frosticles said:

Just before 3/4 time I was busting for the loo and had to leave the room for a few minutes.  As I was sitting on my throne and pondering our comeback (Brayshaw's goal gave us the lead) I could hear shouting from the other end of the house.

I missed seeing the last minute of the 3rd quarter happen "live" so I missed the whole bang-bang-bang moment.  "What happened, what happened?"  Damn.

After Fritsch kicked the goal that started our comeback, I refused to sit down for the rest of the night. I paced around the living room and clocked in close to 8000 steps by the time the game ended. 
With 4 minutes left my dad said we should open the champagne (a very expensive bottle we got as a wedding present) and I yelled at him “DO NOT JINX US WE CAN STILL LOSE”. 
I then proceeded to drink half that bottle and order $700 worth of merch 🫠

My favourite photo of the night was one my husband took of my dad and I hugging post game. We were both in tears. Even my mum who cares so little about football was crying! 

Edited by Jaded No More
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

After Fritsch kicked the goal that started our comeback, I refused to sit down for the rest of the night. I paced around the living room and clocked in close to 8000 steps by the time the game ended. 
With 4 minutes left my dad said we should open the champagne (a very expensive bottle we got as a wedding present) and I yelled at him “DO NOT JINX US WE CAN STILL LOSE”. 

You know how adrenaline makes the human body do crazy things, eg if a car is about to run you over and your legs suddenly gain super human strength and leap 5 times higher or further than normal to get out of the way?

There were 3 occasions where I came pretty close to the ceiling that month:

- After Max's goal after the siren in Geelong

- After Sparrow's goal to go 3 goals up

- After Bang, Bang, Bang

Edited by layzie
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

My favourite photo of the night was one my husband took of my dad and I hugging post game. We were both in tears. Even my mum who cares so little about football was crying! 

You had visitors over during lockdown? 😄, You weren't the only one

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

16 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

You had visitors over during lockdown? 😄, You weren't the only one

I was actually my dad's carer during Covid, as my mum doesn't drive and dad needed to get to medical appointments, so technically we did not break the rules.

But like hell I was going to miss watching the flag with my dad who I've been going to the footy with for more than 2 decades! 

I am still salty that WA shut their borders to every state and territory. We were fully prepared to fly to the NT and quarantine before heading over to Perth. Hell we were going to fly to Perth and quarantine for 2 weeks and risk not winning the prelim. We even looked at flying to Singapore, quarantining and then flying into WA for the grand final.
I would have walked on broken glass to be there in person. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

21 minutes ago, layzie said:

- After Max's goal after the siren in Geelong

When Gawn took that mark and kicked it, I swear that I woke up the whole street with my screaming and crying. I was lying on the floor of our bedroom, unable to watch him take the kick, and as soon as he kicked it my husband said "he got it" and I just yelled so loudly I swear he questioned why he married an insane person. 

2021 was a magical time to be a Melbourne supporter, except Covid ruining it.

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

When Gawn took that mark and kicked it, I swear that I woke up the whole street with my screaming and crying. I was lying on the floor of our bedroom, unable to watch him take the kick, and as soon as he kicked it my husband said "he got it" and I just yelled so loudly I swear he questioned why he married an insane person. 

2021 was a magical time to be a Melbourne supporter, except Covid ruining it.

It was a magical time Jaded, Covid did sour it but not even that can ever take it away. You just never forget the way you felt in moments or periods like that. 

So grateful that it happened. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

9 minutes ago, layzie said:

It was a magical time Jaded, Covid did sour it but not even that can ever take it away. You just never forget the way you felt in moments or periods like that. 

So grateful that it happened. 

And the silver lining is that I got to watch it with my mum and husband, whereas if the game was at the G it would have just been dad and I watching it together. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

And the silver lining is that I got to watch it with my mum and husband, whereas if the game was at the G it would have just been dad and I watching it together. 

Yeah that's right, there are a few things that came out of it that wouldn't have otherwise.

I mean without everyone being forced to watch on TV at home, would JB's commentary after Clarry's goal be as memorable? 😝

• Love 1
  • Clap 2

There was that camera shot to some dogs supporters in the crowd that summed it all up.

One thing to break a huge record of no cups but the way we did it was one for the ages.

Greatest win in my life and it doesn't matter it wasn't at the Mcg except we couldn't go.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

35 minutes ago, layzie said:

Yeah that's right, there are a few things that came out of it that wouldn't have otherwise.

I mean without everyone being forced to watch on TV at home, would JB's commentary after Clarry's goal be as memorable? 😝

This is a very good point, layz.

Chalk it up with all the others 😊

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

I am still salty that WA shut their borders to every state and territory. We were fully prepared to fly to the NT and quarantine before heading over to Perth. Hell we were going to fly to Perth and quarantine for 2 weeks and risk not winning the prelim. We even looked at flying to Singapore, quarantining and then flying into WA for the grand final.
I would have walked on broken glass to be there in person. 

From memory WA opened their borders to NT, SA and TAS. So Dees members from those states were lucky enough to attend.

You basically had to be the prime minister if you had any hope of travelling from a COVID state to WA.

What I don't remember was could you travel from VIC to NT, SA or TAS, quarantine for 2 weeks and then head over to WA?

• Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

What I don't remember was could you travel from VIC to NT, SA or TAS, quarantine for 2 weeks and then head over to WA?

No you couldn't, hence why the guys who sneaked across ended up going to court. 

• Like 1

I remember driving through the back streets to collect my daughter so we could watch the game together as we had always done. I snuck her back to my house and then paced around for hours. It was the longest day of my life. I was so nervous/ excited/ happy that I couldn’t sleep the night before the game so was running on nervous energy.

I had given my membership barcodes to my Perth friend whose kids went to the GF on the proviso that they only supported the Dees. They sent me a roll of photos - they were just so excited to see a GF and decked out in their Dees gear.

When the siren went I just burst into tears and couldn’t stop sobbing. My poor daughter thought there was something seriously wrong with me. I couldn’t articulate to her (between sobs) how much this meant to me.

I still watch that third quarter on a regular basis and it always takes me back to that wonderful day that I always thought I would never experience.

Edited by jane02
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2

14 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

From memory WA opened their borders to NT, SA and TAS. So Dees members from those states were lucky enough to attend.

You basically had to be the prime minister if you had any hope of travelling from a COVID state to WA.

That’s what I did 2 Covid isolation weeks in SA Lucky I had 4 cousins each in differing parts of Adelaide two of them and others in Port Elliot and Normanton south of McLarenVale. Also saw on the Island. Kangaroos Island for 2 days, lovely diversion. Got Granny tickets whilst travelling on the bus on the Island. 

Wonderful fortnight and off to Perth on the Friday night Eve before the game. Was staying with friend in Perth who was working on Perth buses and he dropped me at a Depot where the bus started.

Great seats on the wing just under cover in Melb section beautiful day even saw Rooyey kick winning goal for WA vs SA in their Championship game.  

All good till 2nd quarter and 19 pts lead in third as we kicked 5.9 by half time and Dogs put on two in the third. Was worried then Harmesy passing and Fritta twice goaling got us going then BBB plus the great winger Angus goals to put us in front. Then in the last two minutes bang bang bang from Trac Sparrow and Clarry and a 24 pt lead at 3/4 time.

Reckon BBB’s goal after a great kick from Tommy Sparrow was the sealer early in the last.

We piled on goals to Lingers Fritta (2) a day out with 6 !! Plus singles to ANB Jacko Salo and Tmac 2 one after the siren with only one reply of a goal from the Dogs was sheer bliss  for a 74 point win. Nirvana!!! 

Then the presentations plus catching up with a friends son for drinks and a taxi ride after to My hosts place and an overdue coffee and congratulatory calls from Brisbane friends that night and Dees friends in the morning. More Nirvana!!! 

Home on the Wed after a trip to the South East near Albany at my friends friends place for 2 days after dropping into Perth  Forrest Place for the Sunday Melbourne supporters function at 11 am. 

Another Nirvana!!.  

PS had the wonderful watch of the 81 pt thrashing of the “Covid Cats” in the Prelim at my cousins also. Nirvana!! 

Extraordinary 20 days in Paradise and numerous stages of Nirvana throughout!! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, 58er said:

That’s what I did 2 Covid isolation weeks in SA Lucky I had 4 cousins each in differing parts of Adelaide two of them and others in Port Elliot and Normanton south of McLarenVale. Also saw on the Island. Kangaroos Island for 2 days, lovely diversion. Got Granny tickets whilst travelling on the bus on the Island. 

Wonderful fortnight and off to Perth on the Friday night Eve before the game. Was staying with friend in Perth who was working on Perth buses and he dropped me at a Depot where the bus started.

Great seats on the wing just under cover in Melb section beautiful day even saw Rooyey kick winning goal for WA vs SA in their Championship game.  

All good till 2nd quarter and 19 pts lead in third as we kicked 5.9 by half time and Dogs put on two in the third. Was worried then Harmesy passing and Fritta twice goaling got us going then BBB plus the great winger Angus goals to put us in front. Then in the last two minutes bang bang bang from Trac Sparrow and Clarry and a 24 pt lead at 3/4 time.

Reckon BBB’s goal after a great kick from Tommy Sparrow was the sealer early in the last.

We piled on goals to Lingers Fritta (2) a day out with 6 !! Plus singles to ANB Jacko Salo and Tmac 2 one after the siren with only one reply of a goal from the Dogs was sheer bliss  for a 74 point win. Nirvana!!! 

Then the presentations plus catching up with a friends son for drinks and a taxi ride after to My hosts place and an overdue coffee and congratulatory calls from Brisbane friends that night and Dees friends in the morning. More Nirvana!!! 

Home on the Wed after a trip to the South East near Albany at my friends friends place for 2 days after dropping into Perth  Forrest Place for the Sunday Melbourne supporters function at 11 am. 

Another Nirvana!!.  

PS had the wonderful watch of the 81 pt thrashing of the “Covid Cats” in the Prelim at my cousins also. Nirvana!! 

Extraordinary 20 days in Paradise and numerous stages of Nirvana throughout!! 

PS I live in QLD so all legit.!! 

• Clap 1

What stands out about the 2021 Premiership was how well our forward line performed

And how open our forward line was largely on the back of really quick ball movement forward (using the corridor on many occasions) 

Fritsch's GF was a great example.  The ball was kicked to him for about 8 one-on-one's.  He won the ball 7 times for a return of 6 goals 1 Behind

On top of that Brown & T-Mac played their roles well as KPF's with the other forwards chipping in when required

Now that is what you call efficient scoring and it was a joy to watch

We need to get back to playing that way as we've got the talent to do so (when fit) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bobby McKenzie said:

The look on the Demon supporter's face caught on TV was exact]y how we all felt after the Petracca goal. Can we do it?  We certainly did! Oh memories.

I still get a kick on seeing footage of that guy - priceless. Good on him. He wore his Demon heart on his sleeve that day.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jane02 said:

I remember driving through the back streets to collect my daughter so we could watch the game together as we had always done. I snuck her back to my house

Dan's sending a ticket in the mail for you as we speak 🙃

• Haha 2