Daniel Bell

deanox

They show that as always, you've jumped the gun.

You made a call and was proven wrong in a matter of weeks.

Of course stats don't prove everything, but they do go to show that as of the end of August 2006, Bell started playing some very good games.

He was, and always has been accountable. In fact, why don't you do some of your own research to prove just how many forwards have kicked bags of goals on Belly over his entire career. Then compare that to Ward. Go on, I dare you to actually bring forwards some facts.

And as far as kicking goes, Bell has gotten progressively better as his OP cleared up, while Ward gets worse with each passing game.

Your comparison was flawed, and yet you refuse to admit you were wrong.

A matter of weeks??

August 2006 to June 2007? LOL

Almost a year

I think this argument is over.

Yze_Magic with the knockout blow to remain undefeated in footy arguments since the advent of internet forums.

End thread

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT: While I was taking a look at what I had said about Bell in the past I found this gem written at the end of 2006 -

What exactly is wrong with that?

I wrote that at the same time that Jamar broke his foot and we played Freo with Nick Smith as our back-up ruckman.

With PJ injured, and White struggling at the centre bounce, Jamar's good tap work was extremely important to the side and we missed him badly in that final.

Also, notice that I only picked on Y_M because he is known for making premature calls and being proven completely wrong. Just thought that it would be nice for him to be made accountable for once.

A matter of weeks??

August 2006 to June 2007? LOL

Almost a year

I think this argument is over.

Yze_Magic with the knockout blow to remain undefeated in footy arguments since the advent of internet forums.

End thread

You wrote the comment in August. By September, Belly was playing inspired football. Go calculate how many weeks that is!

Also, not surprisingly, in March 2006, you rated him as one of our best youngsters.

On September 9, 2006, you congratulated him for finally finding his feet at AFL level.

So why don't you, for once, choose a position and stick with it, instead of jumping on which ever bandwagon is parked outside your house!

And you really should keep pumping yourself up, since you are the only one who believes the hype.

I've been as pro Belly as anyone. I've seen him play Sandy reserves, Sandy seniors and obviously Melbourne Seniors. But as always this argument is too much right and wrong (far be it to say to "black and white").

Belly has played a consistent and good season. And on Saturday he played an absolute blinder. Congratulations to him.

But lets not put the tag "champion" and "star" on him. He isn't, yet. He may never be. But what we do know about Belly is the character of the bloke. 100% effort and commitment. Someone who NEVER takes a short step, someone who is team oriented and someone with significant skills and blinding speed of the mark. Someone who his team mates love playing with.

But like all footballers he has areas he can improve. Let's not over react to his game. Lets celebrate it with him and watch his development. It's like everything. Those that want to see the good will see it. Those that want to pick fault will have their chance.

I reckon that those who want to see the good will have more to crow about than the others, but lets not load expectation on a kid who is just starting to make his mark.

Loved your game Belly. I look forward to many more.

Girls must go crazy when you whisper that in their ear...

Has got me laid many a time

Girls must go crazy when you whisper that in their ear...

:lol: :lol: That is the third bloody hilarious comment I've read on this forum this week. Either Demonlanders are on fire or I'm still drugged up on victory.

YM: Bell has always been accountable. Always. The problem was with him finding the ball easily and having the fitness to run out games.

There has never been a question mark on his accountability.

The only similarity is that they both have speed. But they play such different games that it isn't funny.

Unlike your judgement and ability to form a logical argument, which I find tremendously funny!

Jaded is all over you, as you do not have the intelligence to counter her arguments (as well as the fact that the material with which you have to work is non-existent).

QUOTE(Demon16 @ Jun 3 2007, 07:56 PM)

few good performances does not a quality a.f.l footballer make.

Ummm.... yes. Yes they do. And what's a few? 3? 6? He's played quality football for more than half a season now. The best footballers play good footy in their first 50 games. When Buckley played well in his first 50 people were saying he was a future star. Now I'm not saying Belly is a star, but he's earned the tag of quality footballer. It's simple really. Any AFL list would trade for him. For varying prices admittedly, depending on their need at the time, but Bell's asking price has quadroupled. What does THAT tell you?

really? a few good games make a quality a.f.l player? jason cloke was a star, i underrated him.

the comparison with grgic is not bell vs grgic (i'll say it again), the point is that many supporters can get carried away with "one corker" (as you said).

just in case you think i'm bashing bell, i'm not........i've had the guy in my dream team since round 1. i just think you guys are getting a little carried away with your love child.

QUOTE(Demon16 @ Jun 3 2007, 07:56 PM)

he was crap against west coast......and he was.

Oh who wasn't crap? He had a couple of goals kicked on him. He wasn't thrashed. Actually, he was probably in our best 10, which says something about our quality on the day. He had no help, and you're bringing up his peformance against WC as evidence? Which players actually won their positions that day? Belly wasn't crap. He was par for the course.

no........

nope.........

wrong........

you know it, i know it.

he was soundly beaten by several opponents and if you think otherwise you will never be convinced he has, or will, ever play a bad game.

Jaded is all over you, as you do not have the intelligence to counter her arguments (as well as the fact that the material with which you have to work is non-existent).

Nasher just said that Demonlanders have been on fire with their hilarious comments lately

But Axis, you have taken hilarity to a whole new level

Well done

I've been as pro Belly as anyone. I've seen him play Sandy reserves, Sandy seniors and obviously Melbourne Seniors. But as always this argument is too much right and wrong (far be it to say to "black and white").

Belly has played a consistent and good season. And on Saturday he played an absolute blinder. Congratulations to him.

But lets not put the tag "champion" and "star" on him. He isn't, yet. He may never be. But what we do know about Belly is the character of the bloke. 100% effort and commitment. Someone who NEVER takes a short step, someone who is team oriented and someone with significant skills and blinding speed of the mark. Someone who his team mates love playing with.

But like all footballers he has areas he can improve. Let's not over react to his game. Lets celebrate it with him and watch his development. It's like everything. Those that want to see the good will see it. Those that want to pick fault will have their chance.

I reckon that those who want to see the good will have more to crow about than the others, but lets not load expectation on a kid who is just starting to make his mark.

Loved your game Belly. I look forward to many more.

That's probably the smartest thing written about him yet. Particularly the thing about the fact his detractors will have the chance to pick at him. Belly will be beaten in the near future. In fact, there may come a season or two when he'll be the next Daniel Ward, or Simon Godfrey of demonland. It seems every player, including Neita, gets their turn. The point is, right now, he's showing quality. Some players... mane players never even do THAT, let alone in their first 50 games.

really? a few good games make a quality a.f.l player?

the point is that many supporters can get carried away with "one corker" (as you said).

i just think you guys are getting a little carried away with your love child.

Yes. I didn't say he's definitely going to be a star. I didn't say he was goig to be a champion. I've seen enough from the start of his career to now, in light of the fact that within 38 games he's taken on and THRASHED a guy who's mature and in the top ten in the race for the Coleman in a VERY good side. Belly has played not A FEW, but MORE THAN A FEW good games. And now a great game. Once again. I've seen enough to back him in for now to go the journey. But you kep making the comparisons with Jase Cloke.

Define carried away? Am I excited that we have a mid-height defender who can be both accountable AND attack, as well as do all the little 1%ers AND be physically punishing, spoil etc etc? YES! Has it escaped you vision that THAT'S WHAT WE'VE NEEDED over the past few years?! We can get 3 good midfielders and I wouldn't be as excited as having one truly multi-dimensional defender who, in terms of class, could with luck and perseverance catch the great Matty Whelan. Where do you get off telling people NOT to get excited when we have found a good player?!!!

Love child? Blow it out your arse. I've been fair, correct and emotionless when it comes to Bell. I've been verbose, but then I get verbose about the grass they play on...

no........

nope.........

wrong........

you know it, i know it.

he was soundly beaten by several opponents and if you think otherwise you will never be convinced he has, or will, ever play a bad game.

Oh for the love of.... Go back. Look at the tape. Look at the threads. Bell played an average game. Staker kicked 2 goals. Bell had a not-so-good day.... was he terrible? No. He was not terrible, or horrific, or crap. He was smashed by a midfield that had no opponents. Note that Judd kicked more goals than Bell's opponent for the day, and he wasn't even up that end of the ground technically. EVERY defender was keelhauled that day. Every MFC PLAYER was killed, with the exception of maybe 2 or 3...

Demon 16. Stop telling me and others what to think about Daniel Bell. For the longest time I was part of a minority with my support for him. I have NEVER said he'd be of the class of Brock, or Trav, or Bruce or Neita. But I think if people get off his back, and stop claiming he has to go, then I'll be pleased and I likely won't post about him in any great detail again.

If you want to suppress peoples' excitement over him? Go right ahead. You'll discredit and make a fool out of yourself, what do I care?

When his form inevitably dips, you may or may not jump right on his back. Either way I won't attempt to make you accountable, your opinion is your own.

Bottom line, we have EVERY RIGHT to be excited about the fact the Woey trade, and a first round pick looks like he may repay the faith, time and money spent on him. He has played 38 games in 5 years as a result of injury, and has now achieved the not-to-be scoffed at step of dominating an AFL game against a quality opponent. As far as I'm concerned that is cause for celebration, no matter who the player is. And for the last time, no-one's claiming he is or isn't going to be a "star" or "champion" whatever tose words mean. What he seems likely to be is a player you're glad to have on your list.

PS... (edit) I forgot to mention. Just to put all this in context, we have another young defender playing at MFC that I'm FAR more excited about. With what Petterd brings to the team, I put him ahead of Bell... And I'd be interested in what people make of a comparison of the two...

the problem here is people cant see the change....

i was once not a fan of bell myself..

as short time ago as round 1...

last year i thought he was useless... his attack on the footy was great at times.... his decision making was not great, but he was caught man watching too often i thought, i dont agree with this "unaccountable crap tho"

This year i have seeen a massive improvment in his game he looks to have confidence and he also has made the right decisions most of the time (as much as a backmen can).

i think alot of people get stuck judging a player on their first game... rather on how much they can improve their game over a short period of time...

well done belly.... gettin better everyweek

Blow it out your arse

lol....bet you wouldn't talk to belly like that.

don't forget to take a pot shot at Fan for this; "But lets not put the tag "champion" and "star" on him. He isn't, yet. He may never be." he's telling you want to think of him. can't stand for that.

you've missed too many points for me to be bothered to go on, not sure where to start anymore.

lol....bet you wouldn't talk to belly like that.

you've missed too many points for me to be bothered to go on.

I have, have I?

Yeah. That makes a lot of sense. Just like your comparisons of Grgic to Bell...

I didn't MISS points. I DISREGARDED points that I found too absurd to even contemplate.

If you want to disagree, do it.

If you want to make the infantile internet forum equivalent of "talk to the hand," then run along to bigfooty, or PuntRoadEnd.

This is demonland.

i think alot of people get stuck judging a player on their first game... rather on how much they can improve their game over a short period of time...

Why can't I be that succinct?