The Wade Derksen Thread

42 minutes ago, layzie said:

From the footage I've watched he looks a bit like a stat sheet forward and mainly about the marks, kicks, goals. That's not a bad thing if you're very good at it but it's what these types of players do when they are out of a contest that matters. Can they get it to ground? Flick it onto a small forward? Make good second efforts and tackle hard? Or do they check out? It's something that bothers me a bit with Max King. 

If we're going for a KPF I'd love a work rate team oriented one.

I wouldn't be judging him solely on a few VFL highlight reels. Of course they're only going to show his marks and goals as a forward in such short videos... Anyway yes at VFL level he has been a consistently hit the scoreboard and competes really well in the air. We have no idea of his running/leading patterns, defensive work rate etc. based on these short clips.

If we're judging from our armchairs I would be giving a game to Derksen over Jefferson easily. Physically imposing, contested marking, more consistent at VFL level and unlike Jefferson performed really well when he was moved back down back for the majority of this season.

Edited by Young Blood
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Supreme_Demon said:

I do kind of feel sorry for Wade Derksen.

It could of been a very simple trade.

Especially after GWS got Jake Stringer late from Essendon.

Anyway, no big loss. But a little disappointing for Wade and his young family.

Did you watch the interview of BWS' list manager mentioning all the names of players where there internal improvement will come from in 2025?

Rattled off 5-6 players where improvement will come from and no mention of Wade.

Shows how much they think of him.

Just a waste of a potential recruit.

• Angry 3

3 hours ago, Adam The God said:

But... but picket said...

And I agree with him.

I think Jeffo can make it despite what an assistant coach said.

He should be ready to go this season.

PS: I can't say much about Adams, but I am a Verrall fan and think he will make it as well.

We can assess at the end of 25.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Young Blood said:

I wouldn't be judging him solely on a few VFL highlight reels. Of course they're only going to show his marks and goals as a forward in such short videos... Anyway yes at VFL level he has been a consistently hit the scoreboard and competes really well in the air. We have no idea of his running/leading patterns, defensive work rate etc. based on these short clips.

If we're judging from our armchairs I would be giving a game to Derksen over Jefferson easily. Physically imposing, contested marking, more consistent at VFL level and unlike Jefferson performed really well when he was moved back down back for the majority of this season.

I'm talking about Harry Armstrong and  I've been watching a bit more than just short highlight reels.

• Like 2

I am disappointed not getting Wade, not that I know anything about him, other than his age and height and 0 games so far, but rather for the simple fact that TL and JT wanted him and I trust their judgment.

If they wanted him it it was for a reason.

The fact that he is probably the lowest player on the totem pole of players seeking a trade and yet couldn't get traded is baffling, when you consider he hasn't played a game in his first 2 years as a mature age recruit and is now 11th in line for the role he plays.

Someone used Jeffo as a comparison but he was a high draft pick and was taken at 18 and these players are given more time to develop.

Can anyone here see him playing ahead of a fit Hogan, Cadman, Taylor, Buckley, Himmelberg, Riccardi, Gruzewski, Brown, Aleer, O'Keefe and now Stringer. 

He asked to be traded for more opportunity and a better contract, to look after his wife and 3 kids. GWS said no. We let a Premiership player who was 3rd in the B and F go home for compassionate reasons.

We are not talking about Taylor or Cadman for example.

I hope his Manager remembers this and if Wade doesn't get a game next year, hopefully he gives it to McCartney. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Roost it far said:

You could end up spot on and both Derksen and Jefferson will have long and successful careers. All I’m saying is that the odds are against Derksen and I don’t see it in Jefferson. I’d be stoked to be 100% wrong on both of them. Unfortunately for them I’m never wrong, maybe once but that was years ago. Larry David Mug GIF by FTX_Official

Really never made an error of judgement?  How about listing a few more wisdom statements ? 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I am disappointed not getting Wade, not that I know anything about him, other than his age and height and 0 games so far, but rather for the simple fact that TL and JT wanted him and I trust their judgment.

If they wanted him it it was for a reason.

The fact that he is probably the lowest player on the totem pole of players seeking a trade and yet couldn't get traded is baffling, when you consider he hasn't played a game in his first 2 years as a mature age recruit and is now 11th in line for the role he plays.

Someone used Jeffo as a comparison but he was a high draft pick and was taken at 18 and these players are given more time to develop.

Can anyone here see him playing ahead of a fit Hogan, Cadman, Taylor, Buckley, Himmelberg, Riccardi, Gruzewski, Brown, Aleer, O'Keefe and now Stringer. 

He asked to be traded for more opportunity and a better contract, to look after his wife and 3 kids. GWS said no. We let a Premiership player who was 3rd in the B and F go home for compassionate reasons.

We are not talking about Taylor or Cadman for example.

I hope his Manager remembers this and if Wade doesn't get a game next year, hopefully he gives it to McCartney. 

Do you don’t  think  we should have given ANB a clearance to go home? After all his decade of service and team orientation towards our success etc. 

O’Keefe is a very ordinary player and it’s not fair comparing say Hogan with Wade. He is staring his career and needs opportunities which it looks like he won’t get. 

They just refused because they had already lost better players to make a stand. Very hard on Wade hope he doesn’t give up. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

And I agree with him.

I think Jeffo can make it despite what an assistant coach said.

He should be ready to go this season.

PS: I can't say much about Adams, but I am a Verrall fan and think he will make it as well.

We can assess at the end of 25.

I'm not sold on Jefferson and I'm not writing him off entirely either. Just thought it was funny given how picket ****cans certain players and then hitches his wagon to some other strange choices.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, 58er said:

Do you don’t  think  we should have given ANB a clearance to go home? After all his decade of service and team orientation towards our success etc. 

O’Keefe is a very ordinary player and it’s not fair comparing say Hogan with Wade. He is staring his career and needs opportunities which it looks like he won’t get. 

They just refused because they had already lost better players to make a stand. Very hard on Wade hope he doesn’t give up. 

Read my post again.

I never said we shouldn't trade ANB.

If O'Keefe is such an ordinary player, it shows what Giants thought of Wade, as O;'Keefe played games and Wade didn't.

I didn't compare Wade with Hogan.

I said that there were probably 11 players who play his role/position, that he is clearly behind and on that basis, having been there 2 years as a mature aged player, without playing a single game and having a good reason to want to leave, unlike us with ANB, they refused to assist him.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Adam The God said:

I'm not sold on Jefferson and I'm not writing him off entirely either. Just thought it was funny given how picket ****cans certain players and then hitches his wagon to some other strange choices.

So you are having a bit each way on Jeffo, not sold on him, but also not writing him off entirely. So you will be correct whatever happens with him. That is fine and it is also fine for Picket to have his opinion on players. I won't defend him because he is a big boy and can do that himself, if needed.

I recall plenty on DL wanting McVee and JJ delisted, when they hadn't played a game and those same people are probably fans of both now.

We all have favourites and some make it and others don't, but I don't know what you mean about the other strange choices you suggest he has hitched his wagon to, which players were they?

I personally would have liked to get Kennedy, a big bodied mid who can also score when forward, but obviously our FD don't agree with me. I think with Tracc and Clarry getting over injuries, we are light on for good quick mids and if we don't take two more in the draft, who can play early, it could be a problem if injuries strike again.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 3

I don't know if this has been  mentioned at all, but it looks like Wade might get a game after all in the first month of the 2025 season.

With all these potential suspensions to be handed out for Wacky Wednesday, this could be the reason BWS didn't want to release him.

Greedy prix.

4 hours ago, Redleg said:

So you are having a bit each way on Jeffo, not sold on him, but also not writing him off entirely. So you will be correct whatever happens with him. That is fine and it is also fine for Picket to have his opinion on players. I won't defend him because he is a big boy and can do that himself, if needed.

I recall plenty on DL wanting McVee and JJ delisted, when they hadn't played a game and those same people are probably fans of both now.

We all have favourites and some make it and others don't, but I don't know what you mean about the other strange choices you suggest he has hitched his wagon to, which players were they?

I personally would have liked to get Kennedy, a big bodied mid who can also score when forward, but obviously our FD don't agree with me. I think with Tracc and Clarry getting over injuries, we are light on for good quick mids and if we don't take two more in the draft, who can play early, it could be a problem if injuries strike again.

The reason I'm fence sitting is it's foolish without all the facts to write off players, and as you rightly point out, some players like McVee and co take time. Countless others. Max, Nev Jetta are others I got wrong, at least I couldn't see them as the players they became.

The other variable is talls take longer.

But the foolish, knee jerk side of me would say he won't be good enough for AFL level. 

Let's see what he looks like at the level next year though.

Jefferson is a strange enough one to hitch your wagon too. Blind Freddy could tell Oliver was going to be a star from his very first game, so being a Clarry Choo Choo subscriber doesn't hold much water.

Edited by Adam The God

This is a really frustrating outcome. We had a need for Wade - who hasn't played a senior game yet, and wanted to come home to his family. 

We correctly let ANB (as a required player and within contract) go. GWS held onto Wade for no valid reason. 

Probably speaks more to their culture than ours - wonder if that will be examined. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red But Mostly Blue said:

This is a really frustrating outcome. We had a need for Wade - who hasn't played a senior game yet, and wanted to come home to his family. 

We correctly let ANB (as a required player and within contract) go. GWS held onto Wade for no valid reason. 

Probably speaks more to their culture than ours - wonder if that will be examined. 

I think it’s being examined right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam The God said:

The reason I'm fence sitting is it's foolish without all the facts to write off players, and as you rightly point out, some players like McVee and co take time. Countless others. Max, Nev Jetta are others I got wrong, at least I couldn't see them as the players they became.

The other variable is talls take longer.

But the foolish, knee jerk side of me would say he won't be good enough for AFL level. 

Let's see what he looks like at the level next year though.

Jefferson is a strange enough one to hitch your wagon too. Blind Freddy could tell Oliver was going to be a star from his very first game, so being a Clarry Choo Choo subscriber doesn't hold much water.

Jeffo will probably have to step up this year, or his list spot will be in jeopardy.

Even tall players who may take longer to develop only get a limited time on a list if they are not showing something.

I think Jeffo will get some chances this year.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I think it’s being examined right now.

Yes, with respect to the other stuff. But given the microscopic level scrutiny we have received with everything, I hope this is bundled together with the other issues.