Delistings 2024

3 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

@leave it to deever I agree there’s a few more that would not be part of the future.  But we have to keep them to honour contracts (Laurie, Billings, McAdam, Fullarton) or just to keep some sense of stability (which is crumbling quickly).
It shows how quickly our depth has been eroded.  We were tight for list spots and perhaps didn’t give JJ or Bedford the sense of security.  Deakyn Smith also unlucky to go but we were limited for spots.  Now as you mentioned, we could find plenty to delist !!! 

Thanks SoNS

In finding 14 to 15 (Gus and Nibbler don't count) then it helps explain why are season was so bad at times.

I hope if we go poaching for some top up experience we do much better.

I miss not playing finals. Big time 

• Like 1

grim reaper death GIF

Avatar getting dog eared and worn? This one may suit l’esprit du temps.

Edited by Tarax Club
Bergman delisted?
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/08/2024 at 15:29, FreedFromDesire said:

Happy to see Kentfield given a year so he can show where he's truly at after an AFL preseason.

Tom McDonald is keen to play on apparently as well, and shouldn't be too far off being given a new contract.

Sounds like this has been done now.

• Like 1

update 

Gone.  Farris-White, Schache 

Retired. Brayshaw (medical), BBB (both knees) 

—————————————————-

Free agent Going?  Tomlinson (UFA) 

Going? Hunter ( out of contract ) 

Suspended?? Going? JS29 

Trade request to Crows… ANB

Doubtful…? Sestan 

That’s 9 off the list 

add ANW onto the list 

————————————————

one more year … Kentfield, Tmcd 

————————————————

Retire… or probably just go one more year??.  Melksham 

One more year??? Adams, Verrall, Billings, Fullarton, Spargo, Laurie, Hore, Woey jnr … mcadam (contracted to 2026) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

update 

—————————————————-

Suspended?? Going? JS29 

Doubtful…? Sestan 

That’s 9 off the list 

add ANW onto the list 

————————————————

one more year … Kentfield, Tmcd 

————————————————

Retire… or probably just go one more year??.  Melksham 

One more year??? Adams, Verrall, Billings, Fullarton, Spargo, Laurie, Hore, Woey jnr … mcadam (contracted to 2026) 

McVee needs to be promoted to the senior list. He's still a rookie if you can believe it. 

• Shocked 2

On 27/08/2024 at 10:57, spirit of norm smith said:

He could kick 10 Goals a game in suburban footy.  Had the talent.  Dedication and desire seemed to be missing. 

Do you actuall know that.? At least you said seemed! 
Did you ever speak with him? 
Same as Jack Watt but that is not fair to JW really. Some people you could shake and  scream at and Shacky was thst. 
But I draw the line and say that he probably was dedicated but just didn’t ooze it. 
Good Luck JS A talent wasted at AFL level. 

• Like 1

On 29/08/2024 at 15:07, roy11 said:

Another year for Luker. Hopefully it works out, if not 2025 seemingly good for us for talls.

Would rather risk a high pick on Jack Lukosious than give Kent field an extension . Risk and reward and instant player is crucial to us in our window now. 

Highly skilled and change a bonus for him should be our Mantra. 

• Like 1

On 25/08/2024 at 10:21, FreedFromDesire said:

Apologies if already mentioned, but I'm sure I didn't imagine this - I don't remember exactly where I heard it, might have been during the broadcast of the Gold Coast game, but I'm sure I heard somewhere that it's now looking like Tomlinson will stay with Melbourne? Did anyone else hear that?

I think Tom McDonald will almost definitely go around again, and Melksham may perhaps be determined by our trade period and where the list sits. I would love to see either Jake or Ben Brown retained as forwards coach next year - Even if it's more of a part-time role focused on forward craft.

Ben is best placed in AFLW at present and Melk has impressed it seems. Who knows where and when for him? 

• Like 2

On 25/08/2024 at 12:01, leave it to deever said:

I used to think he was close to becoming another Petracca, and but he hasn't really evolved.

He's as solid and  probably close to as strong as CP but I don't think he reads the play as well. He tackles hard and notches up a lot of them but yea I'm sure your opinion of him is not unique.

Can't imagine we would get a great deal for him but he does have a lot of experience under his belt now, so you never know.

Unfortunately we don't have a great deal of midfield depth so it might be wiser to hang onto him for emergencies. But it's not the strongest of arguments to keep him on.

Possibly turn him into a tagger? 
oh Simon doesn’t do ragging. 
well Simon doesn’t do what ply he wants and needs to be more expansive and aggressive or he will fall on his own sword.

And  he hasn’t got Kate for chief supporter now.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 58er said:

Sestan one more year with fitness very important.  
Same with McAdam please. 

Another year? These guys have talent but we need more than talent. We need guys who can step up in 2025 and add value to our senior list. Not waste another season persevering with guys who have had limited impact to date. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 25/08/2024 at 13:06, whatwhat say what said:

i put this in another thread, but it's probably just as appropriate here...

i think we'll keep our top 5 / 6 pick, get the pick we wasted on mcadam back for anb (sob!), and use late picks to pick up two nga kids (riak andrew, ricky mentha) and one father-son (noah yze)

i think we can kiss our 2025 first round pick goodbye cos we won't want to hold it - not with a highly ranked nga (tairon ah-mu) and father-son (kalani white) coming thru in the 2025 draft

in the last game of the year we had the following unavailable for selection:

may
petracca
windsor
lever
spargo
brayshaw
hunter
oliver
smith
sparrow
ben brown
four of those are likely to be off the list, and two more - at least - could go too

it's an open bid on trac, which is very sad, but if he doesn't see himself as part of our future, so be it; we'll get value for his departure

i'd be open to trading:

• petracca
  • laurie
  • bowey
  • fritsch
  • sparrow
  • woewodin

i think three of those have value, both incoming and outgoing, and two are depth for us and would be the same for other teams too; there's no real incentive for anyone to target laurie, sparrow, or woewodin as they're fairly meat n potatoes, or just potatoes if yr being cruel

retired:

• brayshaw
  • ben brown

i'd delist:

• hunter
  • schache
  • tomlinson (or he leaves as a free agent)
  • smith
  • kyah farris-white

that's seven players off the list + rookie list, and at least one - neal-bullen - certain to be traded for, probably, a second round pick (incredible value for him imo), so eight changes already and that's why i think milkshake and plugger mac will roll around again in 2025; if we don't have them we're looking pretty thin for experience at either end of the ground

we've got pick 5/6, that 2nd rounder for nibbs, a bunch of middling 2nd / 3rd round picks that we already hold (about three in total) plus later selections

possible automatic ins as late picks / rookie listings:

• riak andrew
  • ricky mentha
  • noah yze

i really hope we target some midfielders who can move with a bit of pace and use the ball by foot; harvey langford would seem ideal reading the scouting reports for pick 5, but i'm not sure if he will last that long?

houston would be perfect, but that seems doa...

i'm disappointed we're not in the conversations for any of the gw$ or gc17 wantaway players like cumming, peatling, lukosious, although apparently we were keen on angwin...that seems to have gone quiet

going to be a busy off-season that's for sure

Why Fritta? 
You will say he doesn’t tackle.?

Really  we can’t have any more bulls we need finishers like Fritta and other skilled and pacy players. 40 goals plus every year is irreplaceable for us. 

It’s all about a balance and it’s easier eogg try k on an existing player mostly than get a new one when that type is not necessarily available. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

McVee needs to be promoted to the senior list. He's still a rookie if you can believe it. 

His current rookie contract includes a promotion to the senior list at the end of this year.

But he will be OOC at end of 2025 so am desperately hoping it is extended at the time of the promotion. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 58er said:

Sestan one more year with fitness very important.  
Same with McAdam please. 

Admittedly young Oliver hasn’t exactly set the world on fire, but l believe there is something to work with. Re-defining his physique, building his tank, honing his skills and playing senior footy. Where for those who are truly observant have been flashes of brilliance.

Roma non uno die aedificata est applies grasshopper, not for whom the bell tolls.

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

update  13/9/24

—————————————————-

Suspended?? Going? JS29 

That’s 8 off the list 

add ANW onto the list 

Thats 7 list spots available  

need to trade to get 2 mature players, add minimum 4 draftees and one rookie likely Noah Yze

————————————————-

?Retire… or probably just go one more year??.  Melksham 

? one more year … Hore??

————————————————-

one more year …  Kentfield, Tmcd, KBrown, Verrall, ANW, Sestan,  Billings, Fullarton, Spargo, Woey jnr

two more years (tears) Adams, Laurie, mcadam (contracted to 2026) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/09/2024 at 13:47, spirit of norm smith said:

update  13/9/24

—————————————————-

Suspended?? Going? JS29 

That’s 8 off the list 

add ANW onto the list 

Thats 7 list spots available  

need to trade to get 2 mature players, add minimum 4 draftees and one rookie likely Noah Yze

————————————————-

?Retire… or probably just go one more year??.  Melksham 

? one more year … Hore??

————————————————-

one more year …  Kentfield, Tmcd, KBrown, Verrall, ANW, Sestan,  Billings, Fullarton, Spargo, Woey jnr

two more years (tears) Adams, Laurie, mcadam (contracted to 2026) 

I think we might do a trade with the Saints for Tomlinson to help them maintain the best level of compensation for Battle. Player could be Membrey.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Jackson FIX said:

Is this opinion or something you’ve heard from someone who might know?

Cogito, ergo sum

In the words of the great French philosopher René Descartes,  "I think, therefore I am".

This is a thought of my own. No inside information whatsoever - just reading a few tea leaves.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

There’s another way in which list changes could come about and that is via some of the lesser level trades that we see from time to time when clubs offer around players who are borderline to their needs. This could apply to contracted and uncontracted players so let’s not assume that our list is near to complete as we go into trading and drafting.

• Like 2

On 15/09/2024 at 08:24, rumpole said:

I think we might do a trade with the Saints for Tomlinson to help them maintain the best level of compensation for Battle. Player could be Membrey.

Interesting.  Wouldn’t be the worst outcome. Obviously do the right checks on how Membrey is.   Though my confidence in Tim Lamb is at a low !!! 

• Like 1

On 12/09/2024 at 16:45, Tarax Club said:

Admittedly young Oliver hasn’t exactly set the world on fire, but l believe there is something to work with. Re-defining his physique, building his tank, honing his skills and playing senior footy. Where for those who are truly observant have been flashes of brilliance.

Roma non uno die aedificata est applies grasshopper, not for whom the bell tolls.

Mixed cultural metaphoring par excellence, M. Taraxius Clubae-san

• Haha 1

On 15/09/2024 at 09:36, dazzledavey36 said:

Is Hunter contracted for another year or what's the story there??

Finding mixed information that he's supposedly contracted to 2025..?

In my opinion it shouldn’t matter just delist him now and move on. Yeah his wage will still be in the salary cap but it’s a small price to pay. 

• Like 3