Oliver Trade Rumours

Tis the season to be worried......

Falalala la la lala la...

This is far from just being a Clarry Issue.

We haven't played like a United team this year ( imho )

In fact we're a bit of a mess from where I sit.  There's lots of sorting and sifting to do.

Is Clarry a symtom or a cause or in a Schroedinger manner.... both ? 

I'd seriously forget about any window.  I'm inclined to hope the club see fit to purge what/who are not beneficial to retain going forward and rebuild around the stewardship and leadership of those that CAN. That may well mean some of the stalwarts may miss out of the ultimate prize. That's life...

One way or another we're  just a matchstick away from.....

66c08bf8b72236001dc74cd0.jpg

Just now, The Jackson FIX said:

Just asked someone I know who is friendly with Jamarra and his only comment was ‘Clarry isn’t the only one who is in trouble’ 😦 

From Melbourne  ? 

Just now, The Jackson FIX said:

Just asked someone I know who is friendly with Jamarra and his only comment was ‘Clarry isn’t the only one who is in trouble’ 😦 

So, what you're saying is, we are getting JUH for a future 1st? Cool.

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

I haven't been following news closely the last few days and only just saw this news. Clarry is probably the best player in my time watching, so seeing he might be off after the Petracca rubbish recently is insane. I need a pulse check here to calm myself.

Has Clarry formally requested a trade?

Is this all media bullsh*t?

Just three years on from a premiership and we're nearly bottom four again. What a disaster!

2 minutes ago, The Jackson FIX said:

There was a rumour on Dogs bigfooty (I know) the dogs were fielding offers for JUH

• Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

22 minutes ago, demoniac said:

Does Oliver have any insight into why Melbourne are considering trading him?

Ya think ???   He probably  owns a mirror 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

All this reminds me when we off-loaded Gazza (Paul Gascoigne) half way through a season that would have been a record breaking 10 league titles in a row, mainly due to his drinking problems and constant erratic behaviour. Middlesbrough offered us £3 million quid for him which we couldn’t say no to. Incredible talent though so I get why our club are in such a bind about what we should do.  

53 minutes ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

So why would we expect 2025 to improve his value if he hasn’t changed his ways or lived up to what he said he’d do? More likely that next year just tanks his value more - club seems to be thinking it’s time to cut losses and move on

Because, from the reports, the transgressions this year aren't to the same level as last. Are they isolated? Clearly not. But if he can have even the semblance of an uninterrupted pre-season, and get back to 80-85% of the player he was, you'll get much more for him than we will.

The questions is whether it's worth it to stick with him for another 12 months. I think it is, others don't. That's fine. But if we trade him out without a quality replacement in the midfield, we might as well start the rebuild now.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, WiseDeeMan said:

Wanting Oliver to stay because otherwise he will do well at Geelong, is like staying with your wife only because you don't want her to sleep with someone else!

If he's as big of a problem as it seems - move him on. I think this is beyond reasonable doubt. 

Our midfield is one dimensional currently, and the game has gone past pure in and under grunt players. 

Hit the draft with a few top 10s this year and next, bring in skill, speed, and high quality characters.  We will be better for it and forget what he does after he has left. 

I also feel many need to step away from the image of the player he was, especially in our flag year and have a good long look at the player today.

If he goes, and it is looking more and more like it by the hour, then any negotiation is done upon the now, not then. 

I wish Oliver no ill will but purely want whats best for us.  Doesn’t look like he'll be hard done by should he move on.

In the end only one person is responsible for where this sits now.  A lot of others need a good looking at for their 'imputs'  but ultimately this is all yours Clarry.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Because, from the reports, the transgressions this year aren't to the same level as last. Are they isolated? Clearly not. But if he can have even the semblance of an uninterrupted pre-season, and get back to 80-85% of the player he was, you'll get much more for him than we will.

The questions is whether it's worth it to stick with him for another 12 months. I think it is, others don't. That's fine. But if we trade him out without a quality replacement in the midfield, we might as well start the rebuild now.

The concern is if the reports are true that he's veering off the rails again in the past few weeks then he might very well repeat the off-season of last year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Yep... posted before...  Start rebuilding 

Roses only bloom when pruned, quite fervently. 

7 minutes ago, The Jackson FIX said:

I think he was insinuating JUH in the doghouse 

Cheers... just checking.... we are talking the Dees !! 

1 hour ago, The Jackson FIX said:

I feel like I’m lecturing a bunch of 6 year olds so I’m going to stop now.

Please do.

Supporters don't need to be lectured on how to feel or act during a devastating time like this. We thought PJ and Roos had righted the ship and now we are back to a basket case

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

Summary:

• Talks at Melbourne on Thursday involving CEO Gary Pert, football boss Alan Richardson, coach Simon Goodwin, and list chief Tim Lamb could decide Oliver's future.
  • Melbourne is considering whether it's best to trade Oliver as part of a cultural and salary cap reset.
  • A trade to Geelong would be challenging as their top pick (15th) is already committed to Western Bulldogs in the Smith deal.
  • Melbourne might target a Geelong player, but key forward Shannon Neale is unlikely to be included after recently breaking into the senior side.
  • Adelaide, who showed interest last year, is not in the mix this year.
  • As recently as this week, Melbourne had planned to keep Oliver, but he's now considering a move to Geelong, being dangled as trade bait for the second year in a row.
  • Pert contacted at least one other club regarding Oliver, with the full support of Melbourne’s list management committee.
  • There are concerns the trade talks may damage the relationship between Oliver and Melbourne, as he's reportedly upset about being considered for a trade again.
  • Oliver is managed by influential agents Paul Connors and Nick Gieschen.
  • Oliver is excited by the prospect of joining Geelong, but the Cats are not actively pushing the trade, leaving the decision in Melbourne's hands.
  • If Melbourne explores the trade, Geelong may offer a future first-round pick, but Melbourne would likely also request a player.
  • The Demons might have to cover part of Oliver’s seven-figure salary if he moves to Geelong.
  • If adequate compensation can't be secured, Melbourne might retain Oliver for another year despite some internal unrest.

Why would they have these long term discussions when at least half of the people mentioned ( Goodwin, Richo and Pert) may not be in the fold by end of 2025?

Is it scapegoating involved?

48 minutes ago, Oxdee said:

Wow!! I didn’t realise Oliver is on $1.5m per year… that’s huge dollars. If the dees were to offload him they would be paying half his salary for 6 years. I can’t see this happening unless they believe he will never be the same player again and they are better off cutting their losses 

i don't think he is on 1.5M/yr x 7

maybe backloaded at end of contract for $1.5m when cap will be larger and inflation has done its usual growth

• Thinking 1