Oliver Trade Rumours

29 minutes ago, M_9 said:

I've lived in the Geelong region for more than 40 years. Most of my mates are long time Cats' members, and a few belong to coterie groups. I know the families of a couple of the players as I taught the sons. I receive quite a bit of intel relating to the GFC. If Geelong wants a player, they'll get him. Money talks. I have no doubt that one of the attractions that the Cats offer is cash or 'product' - and heaps of it. Obviously outside the salary cap. A huge grocery supplier, a large car dealer et al. throw $millions at the club.  Jobs and cars to family members, and on it goes. When their former CEO was courted by Carlton, Costa doubled his salary. If Geelong wants Clarrie, and he wants out, only the MFC holding him to his contract will prevent it.

Geelong is a tax funded mafia then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KozzyCan said:

I think it would be pretty low to hope Oliver's life falls apart again just because he plays for another team.

I've been pretty disappointed in him but if going elsewhere helps him get back on track then it's probably for the best for all involved.

limbo belt GIF

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, demoniac said:

How would you manage the cap? 

Many things would need to be considered and that would probably be one of the most important.

Off the cuff I would say, the cap is not affected, monies saved go into the club’s coffers.

Any variance to a players salary would be decided by an independent panel after the Club put its case. 

8 minutes ago, The Jackson FIX said:

I don’t understand this ‘I’m cancelling my membership’ or even more so this ‘what other team should I barrack for’ chat… 

I get people are unhappy with our situation. I’m not thrilled either. But supporting teams is about riding the highs and lows regardless of the ferocity, volume and depth of the lows.

Take yourself back to the evening of 25 September, 2021. The elation of that night had the years of Barry Prendergast, the post- Norm Smith years, the sad Robbie Flower years and the disappointment of the Daniher and Balme years all baked into it.  If you’re going to disappear when we approach a LOW then frankly you don’t deserve to be involved in the highs when they come along….

I feel like I’m lecturing a bunch of 6 year olds so I’m going to stop now.

I am just fed up with the media.

They can [censored] off for all I care.

One of the worst things a human being can be is a "journo" (yes, using quotation marks because half of them aren't even proper journalists).

Long gone are the days of ethical, unbiased and responsible journalism.

21 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

You live and die by these types of catastrophic list management decisions.

If we decide that we need to move on from Clarry, and we give him up for little value, to a direct competitor, then we cannot expect to contend next year or even beyond.

Our window is brief while Gawn, May and Viney are still at their peak. Losing Gus and now Clarry, means that supporters need to massively reset their expectations. 

The same people on here advocating to push him out for the betterment of our culture, will also be the same people who scream "sack Goody" two weeks into season 2025 when it becomes clear that we are not a top 8 team anymore.

This is not a Hogan for May trade. We are struggling to attract established talent, hell, we are struggling attract mediocre  talent too. 
Trading Clarry is not some magic bullet. It won't suddenly fix all the issues that this club has. 

Just remember all this in 2025 when you're melting down over our performance. 

Correct, it won't fix all the issues but it'll be a big step forward at least from a culture perspective. We've been babysitting this guy for the best part of nearly 4 years. 

Club is way bigger then the individual. 

I would rather have a year next year of total reset then go through another year of noise and distraction around Oliver.

Clubs have also shown that you can turn around fairly quickly through good drafting and trade. Collingwood, Geelong and Sydney have proven this.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Correct, it won't fix all the issues but it'll be a big step forward at least from a culture perspective. We've been babysitting this guy for the best part of nearly 4 years. 

I would rather have a year next year of total reset then go through another year of noise and distraction around Oliver.

Clubs have also shown that you can turn around fairly quickly through good drafting and trade. Collingwood, Geelong and Sydney have proven this.

Other clubs have...

We are not other clubs...

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

40 minutes ago, Mickey said:

But all this year did was tank his value. The choice is to move him out for chips now, or hope he can cash in on his seeming better attitude (but acknowledging its still not great) and doing a preseason to then trade him for at least some semblance of value.

Unless he is having an absolutely toxic effect on the group, why would you throw him out for nothing? It will kill our list going forward

So why would we expect 2025 to improve his value if he hasn’t changed his ways or lived up to what he said he’d do? More likely that next year just tanks his value more - club seems to be thinking it’s time to cut losses and move on

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

Other clubs have...

We are not other clubs...

Well we are.. we have proven to do this ourselves. 

Preliminary final in 2018, super draft of Pickett, Jackson and Rivers in 2019, premiership in 2021.

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Well blow me away.. not surprised one bit.

This is going to be an absolute distraction each and every year he's with us.

Either the leadership group are too weak to control him or they're simply just fed up and had enough of his [censored].

Clearly he's not willing to grow up.

Happily support the club on this if they decided to trade him.

Other clubs can reign in recalcitrants, why cant we? Oh wait on we have such a sensational Culture! Spare me!

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

Just now, dazzledavey36 said:

Well we are.. we have proven to do this ourselves. 

Preliminary final in 2018, super draft of Pickett, Jackson and Rivers in 2019, premiership in 2021.

True, But we had emerging superstars in Trac and Clarrie, Gawn was at his best and so was May and Lever.

I take what you are saying and I know I should have some hope/trust in the club, but F-Me its realllllllllllllly hard right now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

You might be right, but equally you don't know if the division over Clarry will continue. You have many in the club, including the coach and captain who want him to stay. If that decision is taken out of their hands, how will that impact other areas? 

Goody would be feeling almost untenable in his role, if the CEO/Board is telling him that they don't trust that he can get Oliver back on track. 

If we are to have a total reset, then it will take so much more than just removing the distraction around Clarry.
Do you think Trac won't be a distraction next year? You think trading Clarry for a future 1st and watching Geelong win a flag is not going to be a distraction? You think Clarry is the only naughty boy at the club? 

The reality is that our issues run deeper than Clarry, and fans are impatient. They don't want to watch our window slammed shut, while clubs like Geelong continue to benefit off us.

This club lost 10,000 members in 2024, off the back of 2 top 4 finishes, and a flag, because we had a mediocre season. Can this club survive trading the best player they've had in 20 years for a packet of chips, and finish bottom 4 in 2025? 

And will we be able to attract anyone of significant talent to this club, to fill the enormous gap Clarry leaves behind? 

As I said, you live and die by these decisions. This could make our club, or it could break it. 
Unfortunately I have such little faith in the people who run this club, that I find it hard to support anything they do right now, including botching this trade up SO bad, that we are pushed into a corner to trade Clarry for well under his value.

Edited by Jaded No More
  • Like 5
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

48 minutes ago, M_9 said:

I've lived in the Geelong region for more than 40 years. Most of my mates are long time Cats' members, and a few belong to coterie groups. I know the families of a couple of the players as I taught the sons. I receive quite a bit of intel relating to the GFC. If Geelong wants a player, they'll get him. Money talks. I have no doubt that one of the attractions that the Cats offer is cash or 'product' - and heaps of it. Obviously outside the salary cap. A huge grocery supplier, a large car dealer et al. throw $millions at the club.  Jobs and cars to family members, and on it goes. When their former CEO was courted by Carlton, Costa doubled his salary. If Geelong wants Clarrie, and he wants out, only the MFC holding him to his contract will prevent it.

This backs up my intel of months ago re Clarry

52 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Well blow me away.. not surprised one bit.

This is going to be an absolute distraction each and every year he's with us.

Either the leadership group are too weak to control him or they're simply just fed up and had enough of his [censored].

Clearly he's not willing to grow up.

Happily support the club on this if they decided to trade him.

I’m here to a point. If I looked at our club and thought it’s a well run tight ship I’d absolutely be backing them in. Currently we’re not being well run and my guess is although Oliver has a large share of the blame here the club appears to have allowed him more leniency that has served useful. 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

6 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Thanks. I am backing in the coaching group to make the right call. Not the CEO Pert.  It’s Goodwins call.  

Is it? Doesn't appear that way!

6 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Thanks. I am backing in the coaching group to make the right call. Not the CEO Pert.  It’s Goodwins call.  

That’s terrifying in itself. There are serious questions around Goodwin’s handling of Oliver this season.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

If Carrie is traded fro less than 2 top 10 picks we are being screwed over.

If we pay any of his wage then all the turnips who sign off on it should be removed instantly from the club.

God I hate this [censored] club at times. Only we can right royally make a mess off a competition best midfield.

As it stands today Oliver is worth pick 15 and $750k per year. No club will offer him more than that.

His 2024 season was average, there is an unknown if he will ever reclaim his form and the off field behaviour is concerning.

The question will be how much the dees want him to leave. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Other clubs can reign in recalcitrants, why cant we? Oh wait on we have such a sensational Culture! Spare me!

Maybe.. just maybe, this actually comes back on the Individual for once and not the club.

Oliver is a bloody 27 year old grown adult. For once how about he takes responsibilities his own actions.

The club literally had to move Oliver in with the Gawn family last year because of his off field issues. Sums it all up.

The footy club have seriously thrown every ounce of support and bended over backwards for him to try and keep him on the narrow straight. I'm comfortable if the club wish to trade him. They've done everything they can. 

Geelong are not certainty to fix him. Jack Steven and Mitch Clark come to mind? Bailey Smith and Clayton Oliver in the one room on a Saturday night.. good luck.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

Just now, Oxdee said:

As it stands today Oliver is worth pick 15 and $750k per year. No club will offer him more than that.

His 2024 season was average, there is an unknown if he will ever reclaim his form and the off field behaviour is concerning.

The question will be how much the dees want him to leave. 

Agree, the days of Oliver being worth a top ten pick, let alone multiple top ten picks, are gone as it stands. 

The writing on the wall from the situation is that Oliver will go. I suspect some posters on here will be in for a rude awakening regarding the return. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Jackson FIX said:

I don’t understand this ‘I’m cancelling my membership’ or even more so this ‘what other team should I barrack for’ chat… 

I get people are unhappy with our situation. I’m not thrilled either. But supporting teams is about riding the highs and lows regardless of the ferocity, volume and depth of the lows.

Take yourself back to the evening of 25 September, 2021. The elation of that night had the years of Barry Prendergast, the post- Norm Smith years, the sad Robbie Flower years and the disappointment of the Daniher and Balme years all baked into it.  If you’re going to disappear when we approach a LOW then frankly you don’t deserve to be involved in the highs when they come along….

I feel like I’m lecturing a bunch of 6 year olds so I’m going to stop now.

I'm largely with you on this, but I think there is merit and cathartic value in making the big statements. 

I don't mind the lows. I guess that's part and parcel of being a Demons diehard. We (the last 60 years) have had wayy more lows than highs, and those lows have been pretty low, probably lower than most.

What I DO mind, and what does test the faith, is that this is not a natural low. You know, the ebb and flow of teams - you ride high, players get older, and you gotta rebuild. Unless you're the cats, of course - who don't seem to ride that low, and don't have the constant battery of accusations of poor culture/players wanting to leave/drug scandals/board issues etc etc... but anyway, I digress. This is not that - we won the flag in '21 and were on the cusp of a dynasty - best team we had fielded in yonks. Generational talent. Since then, we have had nothing but culture/scandal/missed opportunities (although I still say last year was bad luck, and would have been different had any one of the things that happened, not happened) - Tracc wanting to leave - the debacle surrounding that. Clarry issues - over two seasons - constant comms nightmares - nobody seems to be on the same page. Strange, inconsistent performances on field - getting belted by Freo TWICE in embarrassing circumstances. A team that did not even make the finals. If we lose Clarry - and we lose Tracc (in 25 or 26) - and people think we're going to improve next year - I ask, HOW? Viney is at the end. Rivers and McVee are good, but they are not star studded midfielders. There is no way to argue they are a like for like swap for Tracc and Oliver. Next year will likely be very ugly. We don't have draft capital this year. I want to, but I can't see how we climb out of this wreckage BETTER than where we were. 

I think now, and fine, perhaps after the review for the club to draw a line and explain to its members how we are here so soon after a premiership, and what the plan is to return to glory, before another 57 years.

I'm a 20+ year member and I am not cancelling my membership,. In fact I'll be signing up my 5yo and 1yo next year. BUT I want to know they will see success some day, and that the club is actively doing something about it, not just sticking the head in the sand!