Max Walker - Demon footballer and Test Cricketer

15 July 1967 - on this day in 1967, an 18-year-old, 189cm ruckman from Tasmania, Max Walker, made his debut for the Demons on the MCG against the Kangaroos wearing the number 46 guernsey. 

His 15 kicks, 18 hitouts, 7 marks and goal helped his team across the line by 3 points. He had risen dramatically from the Under 19s to seniors in just over half a season after being discovered the year before in a schoolboy’s grand final.

He went on to wear the number 1 in the following season when he established himself in the Melbourne lineup. Walker played 85 games for the Dees by the end of 1972 when he was called up to play in the Australian Test Cricket team.

The tangle-footed right arm medium pace bowler was played as a foil for the famed express duo of Dennis Lillee and Jeff Thomson. 

Although he was trained as an architect, Walker went on to become a popular television cricket commentator, public speaker and author. 

Walker passed away in 2016. 

IMG_4718.thumb.jpeg.c1079f40b37369fb0c75a405fb632cd3.jpegIMG_4719.thumb.jpeg.61546f16f9708d0a31a1bd12a9f979a5.jpegIMG_4721.thumb.jpeg.8bd81e4b367d2a0b02e6f8db06d91236.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

I had the pleasure of hearing Max talk at a Sportsman's Night (remember those?) on one occasion circa 1980 and he was a very funny and engaging speaker.

He described his unusual bowling action as "right arm over left earhole".

Max also related the (almost certainly apocryphal) tale of the Aussies on tour in England where they were enjoying an evening in a rustic pub when they heard Rod Marsh yelling out for help from the outside dunny.

He claimed that, whenever he tried to get off the loo, somebody kept grabbing and squeezing his private parts.

Turns out that he was sitting on a mop bucket.  The punchline brought the house down, as they say.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Wonder if he ever played in a game umpired by Froggy Thomson? 

Probably played against Scholes, Bedford, Russell Cooke

• Like 1

Got his autograph as a 10 year old at training on a muddy MCG. I remember watching them do circle work and then   finish training by sprinting back from the centre to the gate. Different days lol. 

• Like 2

I  grew up in the 90s so I'm somewhat lacking in depth knowledge of his sporting career.

I knew he played for the Dees and cricket for Australia but whenever I hear the name Max Walker all I can think about is Wired World of Sports II - which is probably a massive disservice to the big fella 

• Haha 1

Yep great sportsman. Got to play at the top level in both sports. I first went to Dees games in the late 60s so I saw a lot of Max. Footy was different then. Six games, all on a Saturday, all starting at the same time. Shock, horror! Mind you, players would also light up a dart at the 3/4 time huddle, so many things have changed for the better. Although the Dees were pretty average one thing that was  constantly enjoyable was that Collingwood would invariably finish near top at the end of home and away, but always lose the GF. Sweet. 

• Like 1

I can always recall a game against the tigers where big Max just took the game by the scruff of the neck. Can't remember what year it was 71 or 72. Always stuck in my mind.

23 hours ago, Wells 11 said:

Got his autograph as a 10 year old at training on a muddy MCG. I remember watching them do circle work and then   finish training by sprinting back from the centre to the gate. Different days lol. 

In winter the centre of the ‘G was a glue pot with all that Merri Creek mud from the cricket pitches. Remember Max, a big burly bloke, resplendent in the #1 guernsey. Plodding through the centre ‘square’ ball in hand, who once on firmer ground as he neared CHF, kicked a magnificent drop kick goal.  That kick sticks in my mind, as even back then, a very rarely used skill from an earlier bygone era. Tassie boy of course.

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tarax Club said:

In winter the centre of the ‘G was a glue pot with all that Merri Creek mud from the cricket pitches. Remember Max, a big burly bloke, resplendent in the #1 guernsey. Plodding through the centre ‘square’ ball in hand, who once on firmer ground as he neared CHF, kicked a magnificent drop kick goal.  That kick sticks in my mind, as even back then, a very rarely used skill from an earlier bygone era. Tassie boy of course.

Allan Jeans had a theory that Tasmanians generally played better in the wet than other players because they grew up playing in wet conditions more than mainlanders.  L

• Like 1

My dad was at the same school with him in Tassie, although my father is a few years older (and still alive, RIP Max Walker). My dad played cricket with him, he was a batsman and (from all accounts from my dad) a terrible bowler who bowled with the wrong leading leg. My dad also played football with Peter Hudson, as well as playing at the infamous Queenstown football oval (for those not in the know, the oval is gravel. Yes, gravel. No one leaves without donating skin).

189cm would struggle in the ruck these days, I very much doubt if there are any key position players under 190cm these days in the AFL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cranky Franky said:

Allan Jeans had a theory that Tasmanians generally played better in the wet than other players because they grew up playing in wet conditions more than mainlanders.  L

So many great footballers who mainly graced Victorian football before the great expansion (AFL). At the MFC a roll call of honour starting with Peter Marquis and Robert 'Tassie Johnson et al

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tarax Club said:

Stuart Spencer

Spencer was a Victorian lad who was recruited from Portland, just like the recently departed Clyde Laidlaw.

He went to Tassie after he finished playing VFL at the young age of 25.

25 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

Spencer was a Victorian lad who was recruited from Portland, just like the recently departed Clyde Laidlaw.

He went to Tassie after he finished playing VFL at the young age of 25.

Correct. Spencer's wife was Tasmanian I believe, and thus the move. I seem to remember Norm Smith said we would have won a fourth flag had he stayed.

There is a great story from Spencer about how Norm Smith used to always get stuck into him about needing to be a better player and calling him a 'plodder' (someone who can run all day and yet have little impact).

Spencer changed his training and focused more on speed drills and became the star that Norm Smith new was hiding inside.

Just goes to show how a good coach and good development and training can make or break a player.

• Like 2

Yes Dstone not a currency lad by birth but after 236 games for Clarence and 11 state games given legend status with the Tasmania Football Hall of Fame. Captained the Tasmanian side that defeated the Big V in 1960 for the first time. Correction noted Cheers.

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

That young boy later played footy for Footscray, and now works at the MFC…..I’m not sure what role.
Jimmy Plunkett, I think.

Comedy back then was pretty weak

At least he was selling sandpaper.

1 hour ago, Tarax Club said:

So many great footballers who mainly graced Victorian football before the great expansion (AFL). At the MFC a roll call of honour starting with Peter Marquis and Robert 'Tassie Johnson et al

It was actually Peter Marquis who “discovered” Max playing in a schoolboy footy grand final. Because he was also a handy schoolboy cricketer and Melbourne had that close connection with the MCC, he joined the district cricket team and the rest is history.

• Like 1

On 15/07/2024 at 20:43, Whispering_Jack said:

That blond bloke in the picture is the late Greg Parke, a high flying key forward who sadly passed away in the eve of Melbourne’s 2021 premiership.

Also pictured on the bubblegum card, Derek Feldmann. Who contrary to reports about an appearance in teen horror flick Scream 2  gravitated towards resort management in Queensland post football. His older brother Ricky also played some footy at the Demons.

Edited by Tarax Club