POSTGAME: Rd 16 vs Brisbane

24 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

What about that second quarter.

The main issue has been that we play a great quarter here and there, but can't seem to be able to put 4 consistent quarters in a single match.

I've been thinking about this. I feel the way AFL football is played these days its challenging to put 4 complete quarters together in a game. Even the league leaders play what could be considered a poor quarter of football most weeks. I actually believe our last quarter was pretty good. Brisbane had all the momentum but the Dees were not overun and played their guts out. They just didnt have the finishing skills to ice the game.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Hellaintabadplacetobe said:

I couldn't be prouder of the boys. I gave us no chance.

That's the best footy we've played all year bar the last quarter.

Yep.

Heartbreaking result.

But a fantastic performance.

Most on here gave us zero chance.

Lucky to get within 5 goals and all that.

On that logic we smashed the expectations of most posters.

I haven't read this thread yet - I hope those that had such expectations are acknowledging how good our performance was and not taking the loss at yet another opportunity to just pile on.

Any in the 'we are so hopeless we wont get within a bulls roar camp' who still choose to pile on are showing their true colours. And they aren't red and blue.

i was bullish about our chances and was confident of a really good performance. I was not in the least surprised that's what we got.

My expectations were we set ourselves for this game and that we would see a much more dynamic team running over the ground better and being better in the contest.

They met my expectations as that's what we got.

So much better in the spread, so much more gut running (which is why our all team defence was so good for most of the game - and why it dropped off in the last as we tired).

The intensity and contest was great - though the pressure  wasn't as good in the first as it needed to be. We we were lucky they only had a 15 point lead at quarter time.

Viney was immense.

Clarry was terrific, and worked himself into the ground. As did chin and others. 

Koz was simply brilliant.

The second quarter was our best quarter of footy for a long, long time.

We ran out of gas in the last, but not too badly - certainly not as bad as last week. 

(In terms of running out the game, it's worth noting we only had a six day break to their seven).

Not helped by petty rolling his ankle or goody not bringing pup on early in the last, or even late in the third, to inject some fresh legs and run. 

Losing bowey really hurt, particularly given salo was out too.

Woey struggled down back and would have been sub if bowey played. And would have been a much better sub option than pup. More flexible in terms of role, more experienced and stronger. Goody would have brought him on earlier. 

But the biggest he issue was once again our inability to kick clutch goals.

2.8 in the second half was why we lost. Same story 

Poor kicking is our biggest weakness - and really the evidence is mounting up we have issues under pressure (which by the by is exacerbated by poor technique).

The other big factor was we couldn't generate enough intercept marks - though they are less relevant in the transition game we were playing for much of the game. 

On the free against nibbla, he was unlucky because he was tripped. But the free was probably there and I want umpires to pay frees they see regardless of the point in the match.

But what drives me insane is that free was in the context of us not receiving mutiple frees    during the match and late in the game, that were also there.

Where were our holding the bloody ball frees (made worse pinging us in the middle fir tge htb). Or May's mark that wasn't paid. Pay them for God sakes.

And was that 50 to rivers against rayner at the end? Marginal perhaps, but so was nibblas.

We are still well in the hunt this season. 

As goody had said all season, we want to be playing our best footy in August and September.

The second quarter looked like our best footy. We need to see that for longer in games - and I expect we will.

To misquote Paul McCarthy, reports of our death are much exaggerated.

Edited by binman
  • Like 12
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, binman said:

Yep.

Heartbreaking result.

Most on here can have us zero chance.

Lucky to get within 5 goals ans all that.

Ok then, on that logic we smashed the expectations of most.

I haven't read this thread yet, and I hope those that had such expectations are acknowledging how good our performance was and not taking another opportunity to just pile on again.

Any in the we are so hopeless that wont get within in a bulls roar camp who still choose to pile on are showing their true colours. And they aren't red and blue.

i was bullish about our chances and was confident of a really good performance. I was not in the least surprised.

My expectations were we set ourselves for this game and we would see a much more dynamic team running over the ground better and being  better in the contest.

They met my expectations as that's what we saw.

So much better in the spread, so much more gut running (which is why our all team defence was so good for most of the game - and why it dropped off in the last as we tired).

The intensity and contest was great, though the pressure  wasn't as good in the first as it needed to be. We we were lucky they only had a 15 point lead.

Viney was immense.

Clarry was terrific, and worked himself into the ground. As did chin and others. 

We ran out of gas in the last, but not too badly - certainly not as bad as last week. 

Not helped by petty rolling his ankle or goody not bringing pup on early in the last, or even late in the third, to inject some fresh legs and run. 

Poor kicking is our biggest weakness - and really the evidence is mounting up we have issues under pressure (which by the by is exacerbated by poor technique).

On the free against nibbla, he was unlucky because he was tripped. But the free was probably there and I want umpires to pay free they see regardless of the point in the match.

But what drives me insane is that free was in the context of us not receiving frees that were there late in the game. Where were our holding the bloody ball frees (made worse pinging us in the middle fir tge htb). Or May's mark that wasn't paid. Pay them for God sakes.

And was that 50 to rivers against rayner at the end? Marginal perhaps, but so was nibblas.

As goody had said all the season we want to be playing our best footy in August and September.

The second quarter looked like our best footy. We need to see that for longer in games, and I expect we will.

They mentioned on Fox Footy that the second quarter last night was our best scoring quarter since the Bang Bang Bang in 2021 , and very similar in that we were smashing them at stoppages.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, binman said:

Yep.

Heartbreaking result.

Most on here can have us zero chance.

Lucky to get within 5 goals ans all that.

Ok then, on that logic we smashed the expectations of most.

I haven't read this thread yet, and I hope those that had such expectations are acknowledging how good our performance was and not taking another opportunity to just pile on again.

Any in the we are so hopeless that wont get within in a bulls roar camp who still choose to pile on are showing their true colours. And they aren't red and blue.

i was bullish about our chances and was confident of a really good performance. I was not in the least surprised.

My expectations were we set ourselves for this game and we would see a much more dynamic team running over the ground better and being  better in the contest.

They met my expectations as that's what we saw.

The intensity and contest was great, though the pressure  wasn't as good in the first as it needed to be. We we were lucky they only had a 15 point lead.

Viney was immense.

On the free against nibbla, he was unlucky because he was tripped. But the free was probably there and I want umpires to pay free they see regardless of the point in the match.

But what drives me insane is that free was in the context of us not receiving frees that were there late in the game. Where were our holding the bloody ball frees (made worse pinging us in the middle fir tge htb). Or May's mark that wasn't paid. Pay them for God sakes.

As goody had said all the season we want to be playing our best footy in August and September.

The second quarter looked like our best footy. We need to see that for longer in games, and I expect we will.

On the kicking issues, is it time to move on from Choco?

• Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

Just now, The Taciturn Demon said:

Giving away 14 centimetres, but kept Andrews pretty quiet and looked dangerous himself. Good game from Fritsch.  

Definitely a courageous endeavour from Fritsch. He was even very aggressive and physical off-ball with Andrews, despite being 10 cm shorter and 15 kilos lighter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, djr said:

I thought you weren't going to post anymore? You can't help yourself from writing [censored] post after post. You have a problem for every solution.

And if you aren't part of the solution then YOU are part of the problem! Go put ur head in the sand!

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

6 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

smashing them at stoppages.

Probably stating the bleeding obvious, but when you smash a team at stoppages everything becomes easier. I don't think it's any coincidence that all of Turner, Petty and van Rooyen looked as good as they have all season. 

Really interesting to see whether we can do this again, or at least begin to break even again for the rest of the season. In the big losses this year we've been embarrassing at stoppages for huge portions of the game. 

I guess the other part is, can we dominate in the centre square while also stopping opponents from hitting easy 45s in the corridor as Brisbane did a lot in the last half. 

Very tough one to swallow, the effort and endeavour was the best it’s been for multiple years. We had the game all but sewn up and then the nerves came.

The thing that stood out for me was in the last 5 minutes when the game was there to be won, the lions kicking beat us.

Zorko ([censored] him) had a couple of really good, long and precise kicks that just killed us.

McLuggage, who had done bugger all, suddenly slots a match winner from the pocket.

The game is so contested and fast now, handing it back to the opposition through poor kicking is soul destroying.

On the plus side, Clarry was really invested and determined.
JVR was looking like he would tear the game apart in the first half. He’s so strong for a kid.

AMW did very well for a debutant after a few fumbles early, he didn’t retreat into his shell and just kept attacking.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

10 hours ago, Bates Mate said:

Yeah Petty 0.4 was horrible but he played his best game of the year plenty of strong marks and involvement. I'm not writing him off yet

Was great to see him clunking them but geez four behinds was atrocious. Backed up by one goal from Fritta who is in a big slump. Fritta was good in some areas but essentially we need him to kick goals .

Thank goodness for Kozzie.

Once again our fwd line was an issue and I can't see it getting much better until the club buys a couple of big bodied fwds.

I did think the fwd line did provide a good deal of pressure but sadly our backline didn't.

Our midfield with JV and Oliver starring was back in form. I just wish Sparrow would step up . He's in his 5th season and hasn't really shone.

AMW was the big win for me. 

The umpires were as dodgy as could be.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 1

I'm not reading the whole thread having read a few doomsayer's posts.  Before the match most of those posters thought we'd be done by a large margin.  I see it this way:

1. Brisbane supposedly in great form and on their home ground. Us out of form.

2. We played a lot of players with little experience and were supposed to be smahed in the middle without Petracca and an out of form Oliver.

3. Yet a game we came close to winning  (and even closer to drawing bar one mistake), regardless of which team missed its chances etc.

How can anyone not take some confidence in that?

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Definitely a courageous endeavour from Fritsch. He was even very aggressive and physical off-ball with Andrews, despite being 10 cm shorter and 15 kilos lighter.

Need to get more than one goal from him though.

6 minutes ago, sue said:

I'm not reading the whole thread having read a few doomsayer's posts.  Before the match most of those posters thought we'd be done by a large margin.  I see it this way:

1. Brisbane supposedly in great form and on their home ground. Us out of form.

2. We played a lot of players with little experience and were supposed to be smahed in the middle without Petracca and an out of form Oliver.

3. Yet a game we came close to winning  (and even closer to drawing bar one mistake), regardless of which team missed its chances etc.

How can anyone not take some confidence in that?

Your right. 

But did so much good work and let them win so it turned out a bust.

Just such a frustrating game which the umps poured petroleum on.

Edited by leave it to deever

2 minutes ago, picket fence said:

And if you aren't part of the solution then YOU are part of the problem! Go put ur head in the sand!

Picket what does that actually mean?

I mean, it's your right to post what you want about the club. Vent all you like. Ditto for others too of course.

But are you seriously suggesting a fan knocking the club on a footy forum will actually help us improve - ie is part of the solution?

The only realistic way fans can be part of any 'solution' that leads to on field improvement is SUPPORTING the club.

Turn up to games, if you can (I was shocked to read someone on here saying they would refuse go to games as some sort of protest- that is literally the opposite of support).

Buy a membership, if you van

Don't buy into, and reinforce, the nonsense the media peddle about the dees (we all can do that).

Hell, even push back against such nonsense. 

That's what we can do to help.

• Like 11

That was a really good performance given where the team is at. 

But don’t expect that kind of performance (and that kind of second quarter) as becoming more of a regular thing with the youth we have in the side, the injuries we have, and the burden we place on fewer and fewer. 

Need to keep our expectations in line with reality.

• Like 6

Fagan presser was interesting gave no credit to the Dees at all. The closeness of the game was due to their kicking and errors. The second quarter was also nothing to do with Dee’s. At least Goody recognises good play of the opposition. Fagan came across as a real twerp. Also does anyone know what the interaction between Fagan and Petty was at game end. Pretty intense conversation and it wasn’t pleasantries. 

3 minutes ago, Deesprate said:

Fagan presser was interesting gave no credit to the Dees at all. The closeness of the game was due to their kicking and errors. The second quarter was also nothing to do with Dee’s. At least Goody recognises good play of the opposition. Fagan came across as a real twerp. Also does anyone know what the interaction between Fagan and Petty was at game end. Pretty intense conversation and it wasn’t pleasantries. 

Don't matter, he is Hinkley 2.0

Will be sacked in 2 or 3 years with no flag to show for. Mark my words.

• Like 2