Welcome to Demonland: Luker Kentfield

On 10/06/2024 at 12:45, dazzledavey36 said:

He showed glimpses and that's all I wanted to see.

I walked away happy, kid is an absolute brute!

Known him a while and hardness is just in his makeup 

• Like 10
  • Love 4
  • Clap 1

On 09/06/2024 at 13:38, old55 said:

I think at 200cm he will struggle as main AFL ruck…

200cm doesn’t seems to be a problem for many AFL rucks… Nankervis, Grundy, Marshall, O’Brien, De Koning, Stanley, Briggs,…

Many of these did not get a chance until they were 22–23, Grundy and Stanley being the exceptions.

The ruck contests in the current game are more about body strength than pure leap. Especially with the changes this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, DiscoStu17 said:

200cm doesn’t seems to be a problem for many AFL rucks… Nankervis, Grundy, Marshall, O’Brien, De Koning, Stanley, Briggs,…

Many of these did not get a chance until they were 22–23, Grundy and Stanley being the exceptions.

The ruck contests in the current game are more about body strength than pure leap. Especially with the changes this year.

I think Grundy is about 204cm.

Kentfield turns 19 in September.

Any chance he could grow a cm or two on to his 194cm? I doubt it....he looks like a boy who has matured early.

He reminds me a bit of Jack Darling, who was overlooked in the first round of  draft by all clubs because  , at 194cm he wasn't considered tall enough to be a KPF.

Edited by Jumping Jack Clennett
claification
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

He reminds me a bit of Jack Darling, who was overlooked in the first round of  draft by all clubs because  , at 194cm he wasn't considered tall enough to be a KPF.

That was my first thought too Jack. Maybe a little slower than Darling but the similarity was there, for me anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

Any chance he could grow a cm or two on to his 194cm? I doubt it....he looks like a boy who has matured early.

I can’t see Luker  growing much more, I’m actually amazed he got to the height he is. When/if he debuts and parents attend you will see Dad is around 5ft 10/11 and mum about the same 

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

I think Darling is 191 cms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

Sorry JJC Jack Darling is listed at 191cm or 6’3” in imperial terms, not much difference really.

Sorry Redleg didn’t spot your post, Darling has certainly got the most out of his body a VG career and could have been ours.

12 hours ago, DeeZone said:

Sorry Redleg didn’t spot your post, Darling has certainly got the most out of his body a VG career and could have been ours.

Certainly he has and could have been, although many teams had very mixed results with their picks back then and I remember there was some scandal with Darling at the time that I won’t go into here. Possibly a set up by WCE.

• Thanks 1

On 30/05/2024 at 10:53, JJJ said:

McDonald is retiring at seasons end. It would take a monumental change in heart to go around next year.

Personally I think the lack of key forwards who can ruck is a weakness of ours. As Binman pointed out on another thread, using our best prospect in JVR as a backup ruckman is not ideal. Other teams have shown, having a hulking aggressive backup ruck can do well at AFL level and this kid could fit the bill.

It also points to the changes going into next year. McDonald, BBB & Schache are out. Petty is still a chance to leave at seasons end while Jefferson and Fullerton are both still unproven. Better to get another prospect in early and see if we can get him up to speed prior to the preseason.

.... and we recruited Fullarton to fill this role, but even in our time of absolute desperation he hasn't been tried.  Is it too early to all him an epic fail?

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, monoccular said:

.... and we recruited Fullarton to fill this role, but even in our time of absolute desperation he hasn't been tried.  Is it too early to all him an epic fail?

An epic fail, yes it’s a bit early. Based on his output in the VFL I think you could definitely say it won’t help us this year. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, monoccular said:

Pretty sure Lamb said Fullarton was a back up forward/ruck. Somehow fan expectations may have changed along the way.

I assume they'd rather play JvR and Petty (Probably Smith as well) ahead of him. 

Do think we should give him a go, see how he goes.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

He does look taller than 194cm due to his frame. 

One bloke who i think is taller than his listed height is JVR. 

Taller than Luker

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Luker looks a readymade player. He’s got the quintessential AFL build. More importantly than just having the ideal body, he isn’t afraid to use it. I reckon his height won’t matter so much because of this sorely-needed quality. Very broad shoulders also bodes well in terms of the right growth in the right places. Also, attitude…  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, DiscoStu17 said:

Certainly he has and could have been, although many teams had very mixed results with their picks back then and I remember there was some scandal with Darling at the time that I won’t go into here. Possibly a set up by WCE.

It’s a myth Darling’s form in his draft year wasn’t great. He went from rag dolling opponents as an underage player in colts the previous year to playing seniors in his draft year where he really struggled against older stronger opponents.

This is where I believe recruiters had doubts on his ability to transfer his junior form to senior footy. Maybe in hindsight it assisted him in learning and developing an understanding of how to play against bigger bodies 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 2

3 hours ago, JJJ said:

An epic fail, yes it’s a bit early. Based on his output in the VFL I think you could definitely say it won’t help us this year. 

A bit early?  Mid season!  If it won't help us this year then OMG!!  

He is 25, and in his fourth year in the system not a speculative tall draft pick.  If he isn't physically and mentally up to it now will he ever be?  (Schache say hi, too).

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

It’s a myth Darling’s form in his draft year wasn’t great. He went from rag dolling opponents as an underage player in colts the previous year to playing seniors in his draft year where he really struggled against older stronger opponents.

This is where I believe recruiters had doubts on his ability to transfer his junior form to senior footy. Maybe in hindsight it assisted him in learning and developing an understanding of how to play against bigger bodies 

Darling tore it up as a 16 year in the National carnival for WA and was touted as a top 3 pick for the following year at the time. Your correct his from did drop the following year playing seniors, he did play the U/18 carnival and was expected to dominate but had a poor showing. There was various conspiracies that he didn't give his all and a school suspension and supposed nightclub incident that where all part of the plan for him to stay in WA. Certainly a steal at pick 26.

But thats history . I am in the get Luker in for a taste ASAP camp. He is a forward who at least has grown up playing forward and I assume leads , has a strong body so should be able to at least compete.  Surely can't be any worse that the Petty /Turner output at the moment 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, Bates Mate said:

Darling tore it up as a 16 year in the National carnival for WA and was touted as a top 3 pick for the following year at the time. Your correct his from did drop the following year playing seniors, he did play the U/18 carnival and was expected to dominate but had a poor showing. There was various conspiracies that he didn't give his all and a school suspension and supposed nightclub incident that where all part of the plan for him to stay in WA. Certainly a steal at pick 26.

But thats history . I am in the get Luker in for a taste ASAP camp. He is a forward who at least has grown up playing forward and I assume leads , has a strong body so should be able to at least compete.  Surely can't be any worse that the Petty /Turner output at the moment 

I don’t think he’s ready, he had an interrupted pre season. He really stepped up last season for Subiaco seniors when given an early taste to the point both he and Kolt were mainstays in the side. Thought he may have been picked up last year but wasn’t.

Think with a good pre season he has some potential 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

22 hours ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

I believe Darling was overlooked because of other issues to do with members of the opposite sex

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Luker looks a readymade player. He’s got the quintessential AFL build. More importantly than just having the ideal body, he isn’t afraid to use it. I reckon his height won’t matter so much because of this sorely-needed quality. Very broad shoulders also bodes well in terms of the right growth in the right places. Also, attitude…  

Love it. After all, JvR is same height as Neitz and Luker is 1cm shorter than Schwatz for comparison to some past, key forwards 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1