Non-MFC: Finals Week 03

Timothy Reddan-A'Blew

I’m still angry about 2 weeks ago too

Tonight will be tough - wife and all that side Pies so I’ll be sitting quietly on the couch silently barracking for the Giants whilst trying to maintain a façade of support - call me the Potemkin husband. Of course that carefully crafted edifice may come crashing down should the siren sound with the Giants in front. This is going to require some world class, champagne footy spycraft. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BaliDemon said:

GWS by a point after a controversial disallowed Collingwood goal deep in the last quarter, the camera then panning to Eddie McGuire’s stunned mullet, triple chinned beetroot face in the crowd. Our straight sets exit would almost be worth it just to see that. 

E1B25A1E-4EFA-442D-A7D5-421274B8E0FB.thumb.jpeg.2d437358c4ff2206b112d6c342f68466.jpeg

I hope all y’all with the Twitter (never “X”) will pile on and hit McGuire and Maynard and the CFC official with “justice has prevailed Eddie (you buffoon). GWS putting the fun back in footy!!”

• Like 1

I haven’t switched on the radio or TV for a week

Its actually been great!

I just have no interest at all. 
Being beaten by 2 Filthy Clubs in Consecutive games has left a big scar. Whether i ever recover, who knows….

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

There's s "special report" in The Age on the magnificence of Nick Daicos. I can't bring myself to look at it and I'm certainly not posting a link. Go Giants!

Damn! I get Friday's Age for the DA cryptic crossword and expect some other readability to go with it. Not today, then...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I haven’t switched on the radio or TV for a week

Its actually been great!

I just have no interest at all. 
Being beaten by 2 Filthy Clubs in Consecutive games has left a big scar. Whether i ever recover, who knows….

It’s extremely jarring isn’t it. It will either make or break the psyche of the MFC over the the 12 - 24 months. They can use it as fuel, or capitulate. 

• Like 1

• Demonland changed the title to Non-MFC: Finals Week 03
6 minutes ago, BaliDemon said:

It’s extremely jarring isn’t it. It will either make or break the psyche of the MFC over the the 12 - 24 months. They can use it as fuel, or capitulate. 

17 teams are ‘broken’ every year. 

there is this weird supporters bollocks of the notion of using loses as fuel … it’s just a sense making tool as a post hoc analysis’s about our expectations.

anyway lets hope Goodwin decide to review the Collingwood and Carlton matches eh 😆

15 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

17 teams are ‘broken’ every year. 

there is this weird supporters bollocks of the notion of using loses as fuel … it’s just a sense making tool as a post hoc analysis’s about our expectations.

anyway lets hope Goodwin decide to review the Collingwood and Carlton matches eh 😆

Sorry, but you’re completely wrong. Expectations and hopes are not uniform among clubs from season to season. Two consecutive straight sets exits for a side supposedly in its prime, coming off a premiership victory, is humiliating to the core and should be felt as such by everyone at Melbourne, from the coach to the orange cutter. 

Our club goes into 2024 high on the pressure index. Rightly of wrongly we have now been branded fragile chokers by the football industry, ‘an unfulfilled and wasted golden generation’ - a charge that will stick like mud unless and until we do something about it. 

Edited by BaliDemon
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BaliDemon said:

Sorry, but you’re completely wrong. Expectations and hopes are not uniform among clubs from season to season. Two consecutive straight sets exits for a side supposedly in its prime, coming off a premiership victory, is humiliating to the core and should be felt as such by everyone at Melbourne, from the coach to the orange cutter. 

Our club goes into 2024 high on the pressure index. Rightly of wrongly we have now been branded fragile chokers by the football industry, ‘an unfulfilled and wasted golden generation’ - a charge that will stick like mud unless and until we do something about it. 

I appreciate it’s different expectations for all clubs.

if you win a premiership then the expectation is that you’ll win a few more - ie: Richmond etc. This sounds like your and a few others specific expectation - it’s not mine though.

For me, it’s not nuanced enough analysis.
I wonder If those hardcore supporters of the Dogs think they have wasted their generational opportunities - but from other supporters perspectives, has it been wasted? Probably not. Charges sticking like mud? Holy moly Man…

different lenses I suppose 😎🙌🏼

Edited by Engorged Onion

4 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

I appreciate it’s different expectations for all clubs.

if you win a premiership then the expectation is that you’ll win a few more - ie: Richmond etc. This sounds like your and a few others specific expectation - it’s not mine though.

For me, it’s not nuanced enough analysis.
I wonder If those hardcore supporters of the Dogs think they have wasted their generational opportunities - but from other supporters perspectives, has it been wasted? Probably not. Charges sticking like mud? Holy moly Man…

different lenses I suppose 😎🙌🏼

I wouldn’t say it’s mine and “a few others”. It would be the majority of our supporters and probably an overwhelming one if you were to take a poll on it. Media pundits as well. There was never this degree of talk about the Dogs winning at least two premierships with their list. 

You would be well in the minority with your view. If being the first side to exit in straight sets in consecutive years, losing four home finals in a row, doesn’t burn a fire in the pit of your gut, then I’m not sure (in a sporting sense) what would. 

3 minutes ago, BaliDemon said:

I wouldn’t say it’s mine and “a few others”. It would be the majority of our supporters and probably an overwhelming one if you were to take a poll on it. Media pundits as well. There was never this degree of talk about the Dogs winning at least two premierships with their list. 

You would be well in the minority with your view. If being the first side to exit in straight sets in consecutive years, losing four home finals in a row, doesn’t burn a fire in the pit of your gut, then I’m not sure (in a sporting sense) what would. 

A fire in the pit of my gut, or the FD’s gut or ‘shaming’ by media pundits or supporters, doesn’t help planning, training and game day outcomes in 2024. 

we lost 2 finals in 2022 because we were severely depleted by injury. Let’s not forget context and lump it all in together… sure it’s easy to do when you’re disappointed.

Happy to be in the minority - just because a majority has a populist view doesn’t mean it’s accurate to the specific circumstance- see Trump.

Let’s agree that we are both disappointed in the outcomes, and we see the factors contributing to it, and what it means about the club, and what to do about it - vastly different.

😎🙌🏼

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BaliDemon said:

I’m with you on this. It was nothing short of calamitous. Especially since the pattern has been there a long, long time and yet we continue to do the same thing (leaving aside injuries). 

I work with some very rusted on supporters who are generally more optimistic than I and they are both shattered.

From the outside there appears to be a skills/discipline issue.

Pressure will be huge next year. 

As an aside, and not related to on field, I am extremely disappointed the club didn’t publicly address the Maynard disgrace - both the AFL’s extraordinarily weak prosecution, the victim blaming and lack of appeal. 

• Like 2
  • Angry 2

3 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

A fire in the pit of my gut, or the FD’s gut or ‘shaming’ by media pundits or supporters, doesn’t help planning, training and game day outcomes in 2024. 

we lost 2 finals in 2022 because we were severely depleted by injury. Let’s not forget context and lump it all in together… sure it’s easy to do when you’re disappointed.

Happy to be in the minority - just because a majority has a populist view doesn’t mean it’s accurate to the specific circumstance- see Trump.

Let’s agree that we are both disappointed in the outcomes, and we see the factors contributing to it, and what it means about the club, and what to do about it - vastly different.

😎🙌🏼

Entitled to your view but without plunging into politics it’s doubtful there’s anything analogous to Trump or his supposed ‘populism’. 

Stick to footy EO.

2 hours ago, Roger Mellie said:

There's s "special report" in The Age on the magnificence of Nick Daicos. I can't bring myself to look at it and I'm certainly not posting a link. Go Giants!

Toby Greene is quoted as saying his injury is a bad one and he is looking forward to tackling him 

fav non MFC player

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Superunknown said:

I’m still angry about 2 weeks ago too

Tonight will be tough - wife and all that side Pies so I’ll be sitting quietly on the couch silently barracking for the Giants whilst trying to maintain a façade of support - call me the Potemkin husband. Of course that carefully crafted edifice may come crashing down should the siren sound with the Giants in front. This is going to require some world class, champagne footy spycraft. 

Wow, that is one cruddy poker hand. 

I've barely even spoken to my Collingwood supporting father in the last two weeks..

15 minutes ago, layzie said:

Wow, that is one cruddy poker hand. 

I've barely even spoken to my Collingwood supporting father in the last two weeks..

Tell me about it

Was at the in laws last weekend after the Carlton loss and neither game came up. 

some absolute nonsense about Maynard being unable to avoid brayshaw and that it was Brayshaws fault (I’m not joking) and how the Pies can beat anyone (apart from a straight kicking Melbourne) but that was it

Living o/seas doesnt spare me from  the vile media slops unless i shutdown the internet. Media in a frenzy over jugernaught Carlton  and the great Nick Daicos. I  havent read or looked at any of these countless articles . Lions dont exist, GWS not much better. Pathetic click bait media.

Please GWS and Lions win !!!!

Mr Toby  could tear Collingwood apart on his own.  Should be interesting to see if GWS rough up Maynard. It could be a long night.

Media will be devestated if Pies lose. GOOD.

24 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Tell me about it

Was at the in laws last weekend after the Carlton loss and neither game came up. 

some absolute nonsense about Maynard being unable to avoid brayshaw and that it was Brayshaws fault (I’m not joking) and how the Pies can beat anyone (apart from a straight kicking Melbourne) but that was it

Total garbage. I don't go on social media much but I saw one of my Collingwood friends write a huge post about rubbing Maynard out would set a precedent and the game we love would be ruined blah blah and someone commented that all the hate for Collingwood on social media is getting old.

Seriously? Complaining about that? You barrack for the biggest sporting club in the country with vile fans, get used to it. Also it will never get old. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dl4e said:

Giants and bears for me. A filth and Carlton GF would be unbearable.

One of them would lose, though...