POSTGAME: Rd 12 vs Carlton

Demonland

If Harmesy does cop a week, there’s one positive thing to come from it… he won’t be playing his 150th on KB. That means he’ll potentially be playing it at Mordor (🤮), but at least he’ll get the attention and appreciation he deserves and the entire banner dedicated to him. ❤️💙

• Like 2
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Is this the end of the Smith/Petty experiment

Nope. I'd be staggered if Smith doesn't play again next week.

I think Petty moves back and BB forward post bye though.

• Like 15

1 minute ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

If Harmesy does cop a week, there’s one positive thing to come from it… he won’t be playing his 150th on KB. That means he’ll potentially be playing it at Mordor (🤮), but at least he’ll get the attention and appreciation he deserves and the entire banner dedicated to him. ❤️💙

Will cop more than one I think! Was crude and MRO will come down hard.

Form wise, I don't think we'll see Harmes for quite some time...

• Like 3

Just now, dee-tox said:

Will cop more than one I think! Was crude and MRO will come down hard.

Form wise, I don't think we'll see Harmes for quite some time...

I’ve not seen the incident. I’ll watch the replay when I get home. I just want him to reach this milestone sooner rather than later. 

2 hours ago, DemonWA said:

Gutsy win. Love it

People expecting champagne footy each w week are kidding themselves 

If it was champagne football every week then champagne would be boring. 

Sometimes you just need old fashioned tomato juice football 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Orion said:

We played terribly.  We won because Carlton were more terrible than us

I'm sorry, but you have absolutely no feel for the modern game.

2 hours ago, layzie said:

But on the positive side, we won the clearances!

We won every stat. We won that comprehensively, just didn't nail our set shots, and yet were still never headed.

• Like 3
  • Clap 2

3 minutes ago, A F said:

We won every stat. We won that comprehensively, just didn't nail our set shots, and yet were still never headed.

We did many things very well and much better than Carlton. Carlton's see ball get ball midfield was no match even without Oliver.

Edited by layzie
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Damo said:

When you play in a competative sport sometimes during the season you graft your way into form. You get the neccesary wins. We have the personnel, we are tuning up. We are right in it.

Dunno if you're an EPL fan, mate, but the trajectory of our season is very Man City 2022/2023. And I can see Collingwood's being Arsenal's 2022/2023 campaign.

Arsenal leapt out of the blocks, but Man City's rule was stay close enough, make sure you're in the race still and pressure eventually built on Arsenal. The same will build on Collingwood as the season progresses. They are the hunted now and haven't won a flag with their group. We have.

As you say, in it up to our necks.

• Like 11
  • Love 3

1 minute ago, A F said:

Dunno if you're an EPL fan, mate, but the trajectory of our season is very Man City 2022/2023. And I can see Collingwood's being Arsenal's 2022/2023 campaign.

Arsenal leapt out of the blocks, but Man City's rule was stay close enough, make sure you're in the race still and pressure eventually built on Arsenal. The same will build on Collingwood as the season progresses. They are the hunted now and haven't won a flag with their group. We have.

As you say, in it up to our necks.

Are you saying we'll beat Collingwood 4-1 on KB AF? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Wodjathefirst said:

On the way home I looked forward to listening to 3AW to Carlton fans bagging out on their side. I was almost disappointed. I expected more. Ah well. 

A pitty you missed SEN.

Will be a rush on hemorrhoid cream this weekend at Brunswick Sth Chemist Warehouse

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

A pitty you missed SEN.

Will be a rush on hemorrhoid cream this weekend at Brunswick Sth Chemist Warehouse

It was glorious. One clown even dropped the F bomb before they cut him off.

• Haha 6

How did Cripps win a Brownlow? 

23 touches at 83% efficiency with 151 meters Gained and only 7 kicks. Says alot more about the way he plays. A lot of sideways kicks and junk handballs. 

He couldn’t exploit our midfield with no Oliver. Most overrated player in the comp.

Edited by Doug Reemer
  • Like 2

Cripps used to be a much better player than his modern incarnation.

I agree, HTF did he win a Brownlow last year? Well, we know it took at least a pretty incredible tribunal result to even allow that. But it's the fact that who's taking votes off him out of that midfield?

He was at a point my favourite non Melbourne player, but I reckon he's been past his best for two years.

That trajectory has not been helped by playing in a rubbish team with coaching.

Edited by A F
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, A F said:

I agree, HTF did he win a Brownlow last year? Well, we know it took at least a pretty incredible tribunal result to even allow that. But it's the fact that who's taking votes off him out of that midfield?

He was at a point my favourite non Melbourne player, but I reckon he's been past his best for two years.

I suspect he's injured

• Like 5

3 hours ago, A F said:

Not sure if he’s injured, but he’s not getting to anywhere near enough contests and he’s practically lost any pace he had from last year.

• Like 1

All I know is that one day a player will receive a really serious head/neck injury if they keep going into contests with their heads knowing they will get rewarded with a free kick. Was it Docherty that went low and head first into two of our players in the last? 
The physicality of the sport is diminishing by the week, this type of act is the one that needs stamping out of the game.

Edited by Dee Zephyr
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 4

8 hours ago, Deenooos_ said:

We are definitely loading. Happy we managed to win but holy [censored] we can barely move out there. 

as long as we don’t [censored] up the program we should be alot better later in the year.

No one at the club has ever mentioned a loading regime so not sure why people think it actually occurs 

• Facepalm 1

Positives:

Win.

Clearances were better.

Thommo allowed Lever to play his role and McKay was very good, even vs May he would have done well. 

May, McVee, Bowey, Trac, JVR, Rivs all excellent.

Langdon and hunter lots of overlap gut running. 

Smaller forward line lead to better forward pressure and at times we lowered the eyes, butchered a lot of it, but we tried. I’m against bringing in another tall.

Negatives

Gawn flopping in marking contests again. It’s embarrassing, stop it. 

Boweys injury prob means he misses next week. (I assume he was concussed)

“Skills” they were putrid and if similar next week we are looking at a 10goal loss.

observations

Smith I though was ok to poor, and while I’m not a fan of him at all and don’t understand the love he gets, I think he needs to stay in the side and adjust to the AFL game. I think we are much better with JVR, Fritta and ruckman as our talls. 
Thommor the same, not great but for balance we need the third tall defender and until Petty is back it should be thommo or Schache.

Soarrow showed some real bursts of speed which surprised me, didn’t realise he was that quick.

I'll give Tommo credit. Came straight in playing several weeks in the VFL and did a good job imo.

Look he was probably beaten on the night but McKay is a gun forward who is incredibly hard to stop when it's laced out in front of him and has that long reach.

He was also stiffed for getting pinged for holding McKay. Nothing in it.

No coincidence that having the 3rd tall defender we see Jake Lever and Steven May replicate their 2021 form. 

Now leave it this way Simon.

• Like 18