AFL Captains Vote

Lucifers Hero

Some interesting votes.  grand-finalists-brownlow-top-eight-skippers-tips-for-2023

Oliver got the most votes (5) for the Brownlow.  But as we know he has lots of opposition from team mates. 

The most surprising thing for me was that TWO CAPTAINS THOUGHT THE DEES WOULD MISS THE 8!!!  😐🙄😟  In what world do they live in.  Big time disappointment coming their way!🙂

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Colm said:

Big Maxxy must have tipped Judd Mcvee for the rising star. We clearly have big hopes for him. Excited to see if he starts round one. 

I don't think they are allowed to vote for their own team or team mates.

Not in his favour is whether he will play enough games.

So the young fella has another fan out there. 

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Some interesting votes.  grand-finalists-brownlow-top-eight-skippers-tips-for-2023

Oliver got the most votes (5) for the Brownlow.  But as we know he has lots of opposition from team mates. 

The most surprising thing for me was that TWO CAPTAINS THOUGHT THE DEES WOULD MISS THE 8!!!  😐🙄😟  In what world do they live in.  Big time disappointment coming their way!🙂

Those two would be Geelong and Brisbane …….. wishing and hoping, but not thinking! 😊

Edited by Deeoldfart
Highlighting
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Colm said:

I know they can’t vote for their team but think they are allowed to vote for teammates. I remember Max voted for Fritch for Coleman a couple of years ago. 

I wonder if some captains do some vote swapping as there a lot of lesser known players in that list.

image.png.f9982fc4777d2f9524287c202cf71f0a.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Vipercrunch said:

I wonder if some captains do some vote swapping as there a lot of lesser known players in that list.

Except McVee, pretty sure all are top 10 draft picks, most of them from the 2022 draft so not yet 'known'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I don't think they are allowed to vote for their own team or team mates.

Not in his favour is whether he will play enough games.

So the young fella has another fan out there. 

Great to know he's not just highly rated internally.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Colm said:

Big Maxxy must have tipped Judd Mcvee for the rising star. We clearly have big hopes for him. Excited to see if he starts round one. 

If he wins, he'll be the first Judd to do so.

Chris Judd got nominated in 2002, but was beaten for it by Nick Reiwoldt. There were a few other handy players nominated that year including Luke Hodge, Shaun Burgoyne, James Kelly, Jimmy Bartel, Tadgh Kenneally and Alan Didak.  (And Steven Armstrong, who was our sole nominee.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It is interesting to me that there is a near-consensus on Richmond making the 8, and plenty of talk around that the Tigers could push to flag contention again thanks to Hopper and Taranto coming in.

Does anyone else just 'not feel it'?

I can see all the rational arguments - their midfield was a weakness and having the extra bodies in there will let Martin play more forward time which means they'll get more out of both their talls and smalls up forward...etc

But for some reason I just feel like Richmond are in the levitating potato category - the only thing special about them is that they aren't falling down.

• Like 14
  • Clap 2

3 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

It is interesting to me that there is a near-consensus on Richmond making the 8, and plenty of talk around that the Tigers could push to flag contention again thanks to Hopper and Taranto coming in.

I can see all the rational arguments - their midfield was a weakness and having the extra bodies in there will let Martin play more forward time which means they'll get more out of both their talls and smalls up forward...etc

But for some reason I just feel like Richmond are in the levitating potato category - the only thing special about them is that they aren't falling down.

I agree. I know practice matches are not useful guides, but when I watched them on Saturday I could not help but notice how ineffectual their older players actually were. I can understand them trying to eke out one more Premiership with established stars, and using Hopper and Taranto to top up their talent, but I think the window for one last Premiership with that group slammed shut last year. I don't expect Richmond to play finals this year.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

With you on that.

They have 4 over 30 yo players in their forward line and a similar number in the back line.  Too much will be left to too few.  imv their midfield additions won't be enough to compensate.

They hope they can copy Geelong and rest their ageing players.  But they will have to win a lot of games early in the season to do that and I reckon they have two many ageing players to give them all a rest.  Geelong mainly rested Dangerfield, Selwood and maybe a few others.  Of course they had the luxury of a good draw and there cattery fortress.

I reckon they will be in a bunch of 4--6 clubs vying for 7th/8th.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, Vipercrunch said:

I believe this is done at the AFL Captains Day photo

The Captains likely ask other Captains 'who is the smokey at your club that could win the Rising Star' Max would have said McVee

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Being captain of a footy side doesn’t make you a rocket scientist LH.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, old dee said:

Being captain of a footy side doesn’t make you a rocket scientist LH.

Yeah but how out of touch can they be.

Maybe just sour grapes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

Spot on. I think they will struggle to make the 8 and I am not going on last weeks practice match either. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

If they fall down early the knives will be out.

1 hour ago, Little Goffy said:

Agree. Richmond’s premiership window image.jpeg.30bc796e231444e007aea6b6742c00c2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

This was the flakiest bit of all from the Survey.

The fact that 2 skippers think the Swans AND Dees miss the 8, AND another thinks the Cats will.

As Ricky Gervais would say,  "... are you having a laugh..."

Just who is out their playing AFL footy with these opinions.  Not Maxy at least. He can't vote for himself or his team.

• Like 3

Richmond will need a LOT to go right for their aging stars to win it.

It happened to Geelong last year, so it is possible, but Geelong have a much better spread of aging talent (and the home ground advantage that guarantees them 10 wins a year), whereas I think Richmond need Dusty, Cotchin and Reiwoldt to turn back the clock to win it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

I see them pretty much doing the same as last year. Make it into the 8 but not a class above.