Jump to content

  • Podcast:  

  • Podcast: 2022 Season Review & Trade Wrap 

AFLW: 2022 GRAND FINAL



Recommended Posts

Don’t forget to come watch the girls train tonight at Gosch’s!

3A0CC1E9-FD38-4A77-B485-194982FCF20B.jpeg.b57242314425e1a93f9628634c718b6a.jpeg

And while you’re there be sure to come and buy a sausage in bread from the Demon Army  BBQ. Only $2.50 (with or without onions), that’s a whole dollar cheaper than Bunnings! Chuck in a can of soft drink or bottle of water and the meal deal will only set you back $4! 

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Don’t forget to come watch the girls train tonight at Gosch’s!

3A0CC1E9-FD38-4A77-B485-194982FCF20B.jpeg.b57242314425e1a93f9628634c718b6a.jpeg

And while you’re there be sure to come and buy a sausage in bread from the Demon Army  BBQ. Only $2.50 (with or without onions), that’s a whole dollar cheaper than Bunnings! Chuck in a can of soft drink or bottle of water and the meal deal will only set you back $4! 

 

Any chance of a shiraz or at least cold stubby WCW?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


16 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Any chance of a shiraz or at least cold stubby WCW?

Neither. Soz unc. Surely that can wait until Sunday, after the girls win. ❤️💙

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m standing out front of AAMI Park and the girls are coming back having just had a session on the park. If anyone is worried about Tayla’s shoulder… no need. She was carrying a backpack almost as big as her, laughing and chatting with the others. She looks fine.👍🏽

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good to know that the girls will get a run on the Springfield turf on Saturday. They fly out early on Saturday and have the opportunity to have a Captain’s Run in the afternoon. 👍🏽

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After the warm up, British bulldog with a sash , then into their stations.

Moving the ball around, working stoppages, and  bringing the ball down for the a snap or tackle. Then they rotate.

Some sprints as a group, and into their positional lines.

Looks like Gay is on light duties, and Sherrif is doing a little less training.

Mithin and Mackin with mids.

Harris and Sherrif with forwards.

Heath with backs.

 

16692760475545146380177389334253.jpg

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Better than expected turnout here at Gosch’s. The vibe is awesome. I haven’t been able to watch training much since I’m too busy burning sausages to a crisp but the little I’ve seen has been a joy to watch. The girls are really happy and confident, and it’s a proper training session, not just for entertainment, although it is indeed entertaining.

Any Demonlanders who are here… come on over and say hello. And buy a sausage in bread while at it. 👍🏽
 

GO DEES!

  • Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, kev martin said:

We are building, over the past games our opponents have been getting better and so we are starting to peak (would have preferred a longer season). We would have got plenty of learnings from the game against North, who strangled our fast ball movement. Get that style back and play confidently, without fumbling or failing at the simple stuff, then we are, IMO stronger than the Lions.

We have some very strong willed players, Purcell, Paxman, Daisy, Birch, they should be able to read the moment.

Our hunt and tackling has been great. Keep the work ethic, be in sync with each other and take the goal scoring opportunities. 

Hoping it is our day. They are the most entertaining of teams.

Go Dees.

100% Kev.  I reckon that since we last played the Lions, we’ve improved by 20%.  I have no ‘feel’ for any improvement by the Lions in that period, but I do know that we’ve really hit our straps.  They are a very good team,  but so are we!  I’m quietly confident that our ‘Demon Spirit’, led by the strong willed players who you mention, will get us over the line.  Gee, I hope so!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kev martin said:

Into simulations, clean with plenty of outside run. Bibs got hammered. 

After simulations they took a knee, and several share.

They break with hugs and slaps all round.

Go Dees.

16692794771748290337648680288560.jpg

Was I imagining things Kev, or did the girls go a massive stacks-on after the hugs and slaps all round? That’s what it looked like from where I was. And it looked like so much fun. 🤗

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Was I imagining things Kev, or did the girls go a massive stacks-on after the hugs and slaps all round? That’s what it looked like from where I was. And it looked like so much fun. 🤗

Common practice at The Manor

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

According to the MFC AFLW instagram stories, it was indeed a stacks on!  With the disclaimer that no demons were harmed in the making.

Looks like it was an excellent evening!  I was stuck at a work event (the reason I'm in Melb) so thanks everyone for the fomo!

Edited by DeelightfulPlay
Clarity of phrasing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

Just had a quick scour through the AFLW's social media.  On the last 2 days on their Facebook, they posted 12 articles about Brisbane, 2 about Melbourne.  In fact if you look at the most recent backwards, you have to scroll through 10 articles about Brisbane before you see any mention of Melbourne whatsoever. Of the two articles about Mebourne, one was whether Daisy Pearce will retire after the grand final, the other is about Tayla Harris' shoulder.  Yet it's article after article about how Brisbane will be unbeatable.

 

Clearly Brisbane is the AFLW's preferred premiers.  

The AFL.com.AU reporter for Brisbane is a fan-boy. It’s bordering on unprofessional.

  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a great article on the AFL website detailing how we can take down Brisbane . A good read ! Also another article regarding AFLW membership & it was so disappointing to see our membership no’s considering we are a Foundation team & have progressed to be one of the most exciting teams to watch. The membership is not expensive so let’s hope a lot more supporters jump on board regardless of the GF result!! If everything aligns on Sunday …I have no doubt we’ll be holding up the cup. It would be ironic that if the girls do win …then our men’s & women’s Premiership’s would have been won interstate with very little Melb support ..

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Deestar9 said:

There is a great article on the AFL website detailing how we can take down Brisbane . A good read ! Also another article regarding AFLW membership & it was so disappointing to see our membership no’s considering we are a Foundation team & have progressed to be one of the most exciting teams to watch. The membership is not expensive so let’s hope a lot more supporters jump on board regardless of the GF result!! If everything aligns on Sunday …I have no doubt we’ll be holding up the cup. It would be ironic that if the girls do win …then our men’s & women’s Premiership’s would have been won interstate with very little Melb support ..

This is the article

Dee-liverance!

A nice balance to the rest of the stuff we have been reading about the Lions.

Interesting that Lion defenders like to play high up the ground.  Normally, I would think this would help us 'out the back' or down the flank with our ball movement and running speed.  But because the oval is so short (5om line touches the centre square) their defenders won't have as far to run back to position to cut off our attacks. 

All the politics around the selection of Springfield aside from a straight football point of view they should play the GF on a 'standard' sized oval in its key dimensions. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


So I’ll admit from the start I haven’t been following the AFLW as closely as I would’ve liked this season, but I was curious from those in the know that with the shorter season and not playing every team, which of the two clubs had the easier draw? The fact that we missed out on hosting the final by such a narrow margin makes it very interesting in that regard, though I do know there were some games that we should’ve been way more accurate in front of goal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be honest, i don't have a great sense of how strong the lions are, having only watched them the once - when we played them.

I get the lions will have a home state, if not a home ground, advantage. And probably have an advantage of having more training etc in the heat. So, they deserve to be favorites.

But after the regular season, we were only split by half a percent, or some such. And teams have barely scored in the second half of our games all season, indicating both a strong defensive system, but also probably superior fitness levels.

And whilst we may struggle a little with the heat, assuming the predicted potential thunderstorm doesn't come during the game, the conditions will really suit our running, give and go handball, high skill method.

The lions are currently 1.39 favorites and their line is 9.5 points. Both seem well out of wack to me, and so the 2.92 you can get for a dees win is great value.

But even better value is the 9 point start we are getting, a line that will surely shorten before game time.

Yes, the lions are a high scoring side, but we have the best defence in the AFLW, as evidenced by the fact we gave up the least amount of points this season, a crazy low 184 (the lions were next with 193 and then a pretty big gap back to the crows on 217).

And we are no slouch on the scoring front either, having scored only 19 points less than the lions in the regular season. We are also in much better form than we the lions rolled us by 15 points in round four.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, binman said:

To be honest, i don't have a great sense of how strong the lions are, having only watched them the once - when we played them.

I get the lions will have a home state, if not a home ground, advantage. And probably have an advantage of having more training etc in the heat. So, they deserve to be favorites.

But after the regular season, we were only split by half a percent, or some such. And teams have barely scored in the second half of our games all season, indicating both a strong defensive system, but also probably superior fitness levels.

And whilst we may struggle a little with the heat, assuming the predicted potential thunderstorm doesn't come during the game, the conditions will really suit our running, give and go handball, high skill method.

The lions are currently 1.39 favorites and their line is 9.5 points. Both seem well out of wack to me, and so the 2.92 you can get for a dees win is great value.

But even better value is the 9 point start we are getting, a line that will surely shorten before game time.

Yes, the lions are a high scoring side, but we have the best defence in the AFLW, as evidenced by the fact we gave up the least amount of points this season, a crazy low 184 (the lions were next with 193 and then a pretty big gap back to the crows on 217).

And we are no slouch on the scoring front either, having scored only 19 points less than the lions in the regular season. We are also in much better form than we the lions rolled us by 15 points in round four.

I threw a bit more on the Dees yesterday. You're right, our defensive game is fantastic.

There's nothing between these sides apart from a home ground and crowd advantage. Hope the umps don't get sucked in as usual.

How did Birch miss a spot in the AA?

I reckon it's going to be a nail biter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, binman said:

To be honest, i don't have a great sense of how strong the lions are, having only watched them the once - when we played them.

I get the lions will have a home state, if not a home ground, advantage. And probably have an advantage of having more training etc in the heat. So, they deserve to be favorites.

But after the regular season, we were only split by half a percent, or some such. And teams have barely scored in the second half of our games all season, indicating both a strong defensive system, but also probably superior fitness levels.

And whilst we may struggle a little with the heat, assuming the predicted potential thunderstorm doesn't come during the game, the conditions will really suit our running, give and go handball, high skill method.

The lions are currently 1.39 favorites and their line is 9.5 points. Both seem well out of wack to me, and so the 2.92 you can get for a dees win is great value.

But even better value is the 9 point start we are getting, a line that will surely shorten before game time.

Yes, the lions are a high scoring side, but we have the best defence in the AFLW, as evidenced by the fact we gave up the least amount of points this season, a crazy low 184 (the lions were next with 193 and then a pretty big gap back to the crows on 217).

And we are no slouch on the scoring front either, having scored only 19 points less than the lions in the regular season. We are also in much better form than we the lions rolled us by 15 points in round four.

I think the interesting thing about this venue choice is that they will have home support advantage but they haven’t played on a match on it either, so they will be new to its dimensions and quirks in the same way we will be. 

I can only hope that there will be plenty of research by the coaching staff on it to determine particular points of interest and be wings to exploit at certain times. 

By the way has it been established if our players will get an opportunity to train on it prior to the match?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Pates said:

I think the interesting thing about this venue choice is that they will have home support advantage but they haven’t played on a match on it either, so they will be new to its dimensions and quirks in the same way we will be. 

I can only hope that there will be plenty of research by the coaching staff on it to determine particular points of interest and be wings to exploit at certain times. 

By the way has it been established if our players will get an opportunity to train on it prior to the match?

I believe we're now getting a run Saturday arvo.

The fifty metre arcs touch the centre square. Purpose built AFL stadium pffft.

I think @kevmartin mentioned in the training run that the girls were focusing on pushing hard through the centre corridor / square which probably makes sense if the lions try to force us wide.

If we can keep busting them through the centre corridor we're half way there.

If Harris is also fit as reported, she can boot them from 45 out and could wreak some havoc from centre clearances kicking them deep into our forward line.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Pates said:

So I’ll admit from the start I haven’t been following the AFLW as closely as I would’ve liked this season, but I was curious from those in the know that with the shorter season and not playing every team, which of the two clubs had the easier draw? The fact that we missed out on hosting the final by such a narrow margin makes it very interesting in that regard, though I do know there were some games that we should’ve been way more accurate in front of goal. 

This might answer your question, or just raise more questions because even this is an incomplete calculation because it doesn't factor in in-season improvement of teams:

https://www.womens.afl/news/110449/fixture-difficulty-how-does-your-team-rank-under-our-special-formula-

Overall, I wouldn't say that either team had a significantly easier/harder draw, though the timing of when certain teams were faced might say something.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Deestar9 said:

There is a great article on the AFL website detailing how we can take down Brisbane . A good read ! Also another article regarding AFLW membership & it was so disappointing to see our membership no’s considering we are a Foundation team & have progressed to be one of the most exciting teams to watch. The membership is not expensive so let’s hope a lot more supporters jump on board regardless of the GF result!! If everything aligns on Sunday …I have no doubt we’ll be holding up the cup. It would be ironic that if the girls do win …then our men’s & women’s Premiership’s would have been won interstate with very little Melb support ..

On the membership numbers, obviously a lot of our attention is elsewhere at the moment, but it's one of several topics about our team & club's future with AFLW that I'd really like to hear others' thoughts on, especially since this site is the main hub of men's members. I suspect that's an area where we're perhaps not getting as much conversion as other clubs. Will try to remember to re-visit this after we've all finished celebrating/commiserating!!

This time in 48 hours...

I've already got butterflies 😬

  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    GRAND NEW FLAG by Meggs

    Daisy was at pains to tell everyone who asked that the grand final story was NOT the Daisy Pearce story.  She wanted people to focus on the Melbourne Football Club, our wonderful players and non-playing teammates, her legacy buddy head coach Mick Stinear, the assistant coaches, the Club volunteers, the Board, the administrators, #DeeArmy, all supporters, in fact anyone who bleeds for the red and the blue.  But it is also a bit about the pioneer, role model, mother who is Daisy Pearce

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    EYES ON THE PRIZE by Meggs

    The Stinear/Pearce partnership has evolved over the 7 AFLW seasons and they have built a team with talented, committed footballers who play for each other and execute a highly entertaining brand of footy. On Sunday can a premiership be added to this legacy? This may well be the last time we see Daisy in the mighty red and blue as she contemplates her start date for a coaching role ‘Down at Kardinia Park’.  Last week’s sensational sealer in the Prelim showed everybody that Daisy could s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DAISY’S DEMON DRIVE by Meggs

    On a blustery Saturday afternoon when the conditions affected marking skills and the ball bounced unpredictably, the Mighty Dees stuck fat against a determined Kangaroos outfit to break away with two final quarter goals to none to win AFLW Preliminary Final 2 by 17 points — an all-time high winning margin between these two teams.  From the outset it was a fiercely fought contest with Melbourne unable to find the ball in space. North really amped up their one-percenters an

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NOT A MOMENT TO MISS by Meggs

    The AFLW Season 7 fixture was carefully crafted to purposely handicap the better teams and give the expansion and developing sides an easier draw.  Nonetheless, this weekend’s Preliminary Finals will showcase the Lions, Demons, Crows and Roos, teams widely accepted as the best 4 in the competition.   In Friday night’s Prelim 1 the minor premiers, Brisbane, will start warm favourites at home against Adelaide.   On Saturday afternoon at Ikon Park, Prelim 2 between Melbourne and North is

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STICK TO YOUR GUNS by Meggs

    The Dees convincingly overcome the fast-starting reigning-premiers Adelaide to win by 21 points in a fiery Qualifying Final match at Ikon Park on Friday evening.     In that first quarter Adelaide jumped out of the blocks kicking their first goal inside 20 seconds finishing with 3 goals to nil. All was quiet at Ikon Park.     Melbourne, having easily outplayed lesser opponents over the past six weeks took time to ratchet up their intensity.  But, by mid to late first quarter, the Dees be

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HEAVYWEIGHTS by Meggs

    AFLW heavyweights Melbourne and Adelaide kick off the AFLW Season 7 Final Series with a massive Qualifying Final clash at Ikon Park this Friday night at 7:10pm.  The game promises to be a cracker.   Last season’s Grand Final combatants last met in Round 1where Melbourne came away with a strong 18-point victory at Glenelg Oval. The Dees will be hoping to replicate the result and move directly to the Preliminary Final.    While Adelaide may not have been as intimidating this season as in p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH by Meggs

    Congratulations to Daisy’s Dees on a huge 78-point one-sided win against West Coast in challenging windy and wet conditions at Casey Fields.     The banner celebrating Sarah Lampard’s 50 games was a victim of the wind, but nonetheless Lampy received a warm round of applause from the parochial crowd in attendance.   Melbourne has the double-chance and is excited about its chances in the Season 7 AFLW finals. If this means the Grand Final is played at Metricon and the Demond make it, then

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LIVE IN THE MOMENT by Meggs

    The final home and away match of Season 7, sees the mighty Dees at Fortress Casey hosting the 16th placed West Coast.     A win assures the Dees of a Top-2 finish, with the ultimate placings dependent upon the previous night’s result between Brisbane and Collingwood and the relative percentages.   As our match is anticipated to be one-sided, interest may turn to monitoring the live ladder to see whether or not Melbourne has secured the minor premiership.     The Demons (Lions and Cro

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    BOMBED by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne has all but assured itself of a top two finish to the (second) 2022 AFLW season after crushing Essendon by 41 points on Sunday. It now holds a four point lead over third placed Adelaide along with a handy percentage advantage with one round remaining before the finals. The Demons opened kicking with the advantage of the squally wind that often prevails at Casey Fields and for the third week in a row, they kept their opponents scoreless in the opening term. Speedster Alyssa Ba

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...