2022 Player Reviews: #15 Ed Langdon

Demonland

EdLangdon2022.png

An outstanding wingman who provides non stop run and carry, linking with his teammates up and down the ground and is a great decision-maker. Has great stamina but his effectiveness was blunted by a rib injury in midseason.

"The former Docker has become a critical piece of the Melbourne midfield with his hard-running on a wing since arriving at the club three years ago. Langdon averaged more than 21 disposals a game, but had five matches over 25 disposals in the first eight rounds and only one after that. Attracted some unwanted attention when he labelled Collingwood a “one-trick pony” ahead of their round 21 clash at the MCG, which the Magpies went on to win." - Herald Sun

Date of Birth: 1 February 1996
Height: 182cm
Weight: 77kg

Games MFC 2022: 23
Career Total: 132

Goals MFC 2022: 13
Career Total: 61

Tenth Club Best & Fairest: 367 votes

Brownlow Medal: 7 votes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Ed Langdon, if not already is fast becoming one of our all time favourite running machines, Ed regularly clocks up 100% game time even when carrying niggles. He is highly skilled and as tough as they come but wouldn’t recommend that he give anymore pre match speeches before big games, I would also like to see Ed get a bit more protection. I am really looking forward to seeing how Ed and Lauchie control their respective wings in 2023 and how we exploit the advantage that they will afford the team, he is a quirky, loveable individual and he is ours.❤️💙🤘💕.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I feel like after the first 8 rounds teams went down the opposite wing to Ed more often, and played a more defensive mindset in their positioning around him.

I think Hunter is going to make a huge difference to us in this regard. No offence to JJ but Hunter is a much more experienced wingman and can do more damage with the ball in hand. We can now attack and defend down either wing, where I felt Jordon was often too slow and defensive as an outlet.

I think Ed will be very happy to have a more well rounded outside player on the opposite wing to him.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ed was outstanding in the first couple of months, then was below his best after the hit against North. This probably also coincided with him receiving more attention from defensive opponents.

I'd like to see him run the edge of the centre square more, like Isaac Smith does, rather than playing along the boundary. If nothing else, it would reduce his tally of OOFs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

According to Buckenara we should move Ed on.

What a peanut.

Bucky was a great player, but doesn’t do his homework prior to his ratings exercise- never gets even close on his ratings of the Demons players! Certainly gets away with living on past exploits!!

• Like 2

Ed’s smile though. 

After our match in Adelaide I was with a bunch of Dees fans (local gals) at a pub and I turned on my phone and they saw my lock-screen. And my home screen. And my Safari background…

780B30AF-8755-4E81-B734-B5D8F97F9984.thumb.jpeg.4c566b2f0bf2e1b2ca8316fb8d4ba6f4.jpeg

So then everyone starts pulling out their phones and showing their pics: this is my daughter, these are my kids, this is my grandson etc. The lady next to me also had Demons wallpaper on hers and says to me, “lol you can tell by our phones who’s got kids and who hasn’t.” I’m like, “I know right!” 

Suspicious Meme GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, jnrmac said:

According to Buckenara we should move Ed on.

What a peanut.

This is absolutely hilarious. I don't think it even makes it to the level of opinionated click bait. It is just a very ignorant statement from someone who clearly doesn't know Ed and his role with the Dees or doesn't understand football very well.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Demonland said:

He didn't say that did he?

Sure did:

Melbourne has lost Jackson, who is going to be an A-grade player, given how athletic he is and the fact he has played well in a premiership.

I thought if they needed to get salary cap relief to bring Grundy in, they could have given up a James Harmes, Ed Langdon, Jayden Hunt or Charlie Spargo type.

Maybe even an Alex Neal-Bullen.

Langdon is coming off a very good year, but they are the sort of players Melbourne can cover because they have a lot of them on their list.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Ed Langdon changed our game plan. His constant up and down running to support the midfield as well as his preparedness to back the back line and then run forward and present as a target in the forward line sets him apart from any other player.

Pity he can only play one side. So we have recruited Hunter in the hope that he will emulate Ed's play on the other side. One Ed Langdon is great, two would be out of this world.

GO DEES

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Sure did:

Melbourne has lost Jackson, who is going to be an A-grade player, given how athletic he is and the fact he has played well in a premiership.

I thought if they needed to get salary cap relief to bring Grundy in, they could have given up a James Harmes, Ed Langdon, Jayden Hunt or Charlie Spargo type.

Langdon is coming off a very good year, but they are the sort of players Melbourne can cover because they have a lot of them on their list.

Not shocked in the slightest with those comments.

He did rate Josh Wagner and Christian Petracca as both C+ players circa 2018.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

Sure did:

He should resign immediately from ever giving another opinion on football ever again. Completely lost any credibility. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1