The Pickett Explanation

Pinball Wizard

Well, well. according to Chris Fagan in the Age, the Byronator could play on Monday despite having so little preparation for the season. Family First for Pickett.

The reason he missed out this weekend was that he went back to WA to visit his sick mother. Demons' football boss Chris Fagan is reported as saying,

"He came back on Saturday with the intention of playing for Sandringham but unfortunately, the long flight left him with some tightness in his back and hamstring soreness. We're definitely planning to play him on Easter Monday (against Hawthorn)."

Best wishes to Mrs. Pickett on a speedy recovery and good luck Byron!

The Herald Sun quotes Fagan again but there's a different spin on the injury altogether in Dees dealt double blow where it's reported that "...given Pickett's recent inactivity, he would need one, maybe two, matches at Sandringham before being considered for senior selection."

Huh!?

Get him back in. He is an influential player that can lift the team. He may have only stopped eating pies last week (to steal a mates phrase) but he is still a hard and tested champion.....who knocks the cr@p out of people

Get him back in. He is an influential player that can lift the team. He may have only stopped eating pies last week (to steal a mates phrase) but he is still a hard and tested champion.....who knocks the cr@p out of people

He won't be much use if he can't raise a gallop through lack of match practice or his hammy plays up during the game.

On the other hand, if those things happen, he'll perform in a similar fashion to half the team from Friday night v St. Kilda.

Who to believe Rhino? When The Age and the Herald Sun carry conflicting stories, I'll go with the direct quotes from a club source every time.

Thus, Caro, Fagan and The Age win on this one. Mark Stevens seems to be hypothesising at the end of his story, regarding Byron needing to spend more time at Sandringham.

Who to believe Rhino? When The Age and the Herald Sun carry conflicting stories, I'll go with the direct quotes from a club source every time.

Thus, Caro, Fagan and The Age win on this one. Mark Stevens seems to be hypothesising at the end of his story, regarding Byron needing to spend more time at Sandringham.

True. He did.

But I get edgy over a 30+ yo hamstring especially when its truicking additional weight.

True. He did.

But I get edgy over a 30+ yo hamstring especially when its truicking additional weight.

I share your trepidation.

If we get half an hour of reasonable football from Byron on Monday, he will have done his job in the circumstances.

I share your trepidation.

If we get half an hour of reasonable football from Byron on Monday, he will have done his job in the circumstances.

If its half an hour then PING, I will disappointed.

I would rather play him fit. I saw some early games last year where he looked like Garfield and quite forlorn. I'd rather not suffer that.

True. He did.

in that case you wont be worrying about him until next year

i definetly put no credence in the hun. that was a terrible piece of making stuff up...especially when it was conflicted by fagans comments.

i get the feeling that byron needs games to get fit...its not nessecarily running speed etc he needs, its getting used to the match pace. if this is the prob, he needs to get match fit in the afl not the vfl as the game is different anyway...

i definetly put no credence in the hun. that was a terrible piece of making stuff up...especially when it was conflicted by fagans comments.

i get the feeling that byron needs games to get fit...its not nessecarily running speed etc he needs, its getting used to the match pace. if this is the prob, he needs to get match fit in the afl not the vfl as the game is different anyway...

However, it should be noted that both the Age and the Herald Sun quote Chris Fagan.

However, it should be noted that both the Age and the Herald Sun quote Chris Fagan.

'He came back on Saturday with the intention of playing for Sandringham but unfortunately, the long flight left him with some tightness in his back and hamstring soreness. We're definitely planning to play him on Easter Monday (against Hawthorn)."

direct quote from fagan in the age states they are planning on paying him.

"It is given the scans he's had show there's no tear there . . . but he's got soreness...Hopefully, he'll get through training this week and resume this weekend."

another quote from fagan suggesting he should be right to play

"Given Pickett's recent inactivity, he would need one, maybe two, matches at Sandringham before being considered for senior selection."

a quote from mark stevens article where he has taked the above information and decided that he wont play because of his history. now im not saying he will play but i am saying that fagan says there is no tear, just tightness from two long plane flights, and they are planning on playing him. not that there is a slight tear and they hope he gets better. very different story.

full articles below

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/com...5E19769,00.html

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/fami...5366160437.html