4 Years ago....

Sir Why You Little

4 years ago Roosy said this to the Club as he said goodbye...

"Decide to be great. It is a decision, it doesn’t happen by accident,” Roos said.

"You have to want to be great. Greatness is not going to happen when you turn up on November 1 or whenever you turn up and Simon has got the whistle and is in charge.

"Greatness is going to happen when you walk out of this room tonight. That's when greatness starts."

Will the message ever get through...?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

"Decide to be great. It is a decision, it doesn’t happen by accident,” Roos said.

"You have to want to be great. Greatness is not going to happen when you turn up on November 1 or whenever you turn up and Simon has got the whistle and is in charge.

"Greatness is going to happen when you walk out of this room tonight. That's when greatness starts."

Good words. Did he say them to the players or to the members (eg, at the AGM)?

9 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

That’s rhetorical right? 

He handed Goodwin a finals ready list that Goodwin himself helped shape and get a head start with.

In a few weeks times Goodwin will either be 1/4 or 2/4 for making finals. It's not good enough. We've failed to adapt to 6-6-6 and failed to adapt to everything else as quickly as most clubs. 4 years on and we still don't really know if Goodwin can coach. He still doesn't know how to get the players performing consistently either. It's not good.

The chaotic unplanned nature of 2020 will buy everyone a pass. 2021 is huge for the club. Deep finals run or bust IMO.

7 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

He handed Goodwin a finals ready list that Goodwin himself helped shape and get a head start with.

4 years on and we still don't really know if Goodwin can coach. He still doesn't know how to get the players performing consistently either. It's not good.

This sounds silly commenting on an AA selected player but I think Goodwin has a lot to answer for in Clayton Oliver's development. He personally interviewed Clayton in his Mum's kitchen in the bush before drafting so has been a project player for Goodwin alone.

Clayton is terrific and you can't fault his desire and endeavour, but for his early years we were succummd by his stats and gave him a leave pass on all the handballs.

This year the opposiiton and media woke up about the ineffecitiveness of many disposals and somewhere a switch was flicked a few weeks ago and he ran harder and kicked the ball out of traffic. 

Why didn't Goodwin take control of this flaw very early in his career.

I ask this in the conext of LT above commenting on can Goodwin coach or not , I agree and this in my mind is a glaring example.

Don't get me started on the Inside 50 ratio/conversion disaster

43 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

The message got through to at least one player! But No is the answer.....

Paul Roos was an amazing player who got the best out of himself regardless of where his team was at.

Simon Goodwin was a player who also got the best out of himself, especially for guy that was considered too short and against all odds made it.

We just don't seem to demand excellence with our mob.  Near enough is quite often good enough.  To get the best out of players needs a plethora of motivational techniques.   Each player requires something slightly different when it comes to motivation/fear/instilling confidence, and when they need a whack individually, or as a group. 

Last year should have really stung the entire playing group into action.

Now it will have to be this year that stings them into action.

Roos walked away, i would say Goodwin will likely get sacked.

i wish more players would "choose" to be great and put in the required effort.  When careers end many will be able to look back on their time at Demons and know within themselves they never gave their all.  It is sad.

At least Goodwin/Roos can rest easy knowing during their playing careers they chose to be great. I still question many of our players output.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

This sounds silly commenting on an AA selected player but I think Goodwin has a lot to answer for in Clayton Oliver's development. He personally interviewed Clayton in his Mum's kitchen in the bush before drafting so has been a project player for Goodwin alone.

Clayton is terrific and you can't fault his desire and endeavour, but for his early years we were succummd by his stats and gave him a leave pass on all the handballs.

This year the opposiiton and media woke up about the ineffecitiveness of many disposals and somewhere a switch was flicked a few weeks ago and he ran harder and kicked the ball out of traffic. 

Why didn't Goodwin take control of this flaw very early in his career.

I ask this in the conext of LT above commenting on can Goodwin coach or not , I agree and this in my mind is a glaring example.

Don't get me started on the Inside 50 ratio/conversion disaster

Clayton Oliver was an absolute gun before getting drafted.   Can remember watching it and thinking this is the "best" highlights reel i have seen from any prospective draftee.  He still has these same attributes.  Doubtful Goodwin has done much to enhance Clarry.

Few weeks back when he was playing like junk and it was posted somewhere that he needs to take 5 quick steps out of traffic.  He was fantastic for few weeks doing that and now has reverted back to handballing backwards etc.  I don't believe it was Goodwin that advised him to take those quick steps??  

I believe if Sam Mitchell was teaching this kid he would already be approaching the best in the game.   Clayton has been developing himself quite nicely, not sure Simon deserves any of the credit for fast tracking him though.  Kid was a jet to begin with!

The decision to be great can be confronting. The big change, the responsibility that comes with it, how you are seen in the eyes of your peers. However I don't think anyone who made it regrets it one bit. It's easy to be mediocre, just wake up. I'll admit after the years of mediocrity I as a fan have become used to what comes with it and would find it very hard to be at the top with other clubs and fans gunning for you and willing to put you down at every opportunity trying to say how you cheated or got it easy. I've had many conversations with long time MFC fans over the years who were so used to missing finals that they would rather not make it and deal with the big change that came with it!

The reason I say this is because I do believe this decision to be great is not an easy one. We can be content with what we have and be happy with the odd windfall and that is a perfectly reasonable way of living. However I want this group to make the decision. I want this club to show that leopards can change their spots, I want this club to show that you can teach an old dog new tricks, I want this club to give hope to anyone who think they are set in their ways and can't change. To the people that think this is the best things can get in life, I want this club to be the catalyst for not accepting what is going on in the world right now and going on to do extraordinary things.

It will happen, I'm sure of it. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I am not one for Mission statements but astonished that Roosy fundamentals for long term success were not laid down in stone as a blueprint that future coaches must follow. Otherwise we just paid huge dollars for a top coach for 2-3 years. What a waste.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Travis said:

The chaotic unplanned nature of 2020 will buy everyone a pass. 2021 is huge for the club. Deep finals run or bust IMO.

Agree with this.

I can't see literally one AFL coach getting the sack this year because of COVID. Furthermore, Goodwin has won too many games this year to be in the sacking territory.

However, if we miss final next year I'd say Goodwin, his assistants and Mahoney will all be gone. Can see a massive overhaul and an admission that Goodwin was a failure of a hiring. 1 finals series out of 5 years is a failure. To suggest otherwise would be akin to putting lipstick on a pig.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

1 hour ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

Clayton Oliver was an absolute gun before getting drafted.   Can remember watching it and thinking this is the "best" highlights reel i have seen from any prospective draftee.  He still has these same attributes.  Doubtful Goodwin has done much to enhance Clarry.

Few weeks back when he was playing like junk and it was posted somewhere that he needs to take 5 quick steps out of traffic.  He was fantastic for few weeks doing that and now has reverted back to handballing backwards etc.  I don't believe it was Goodwin that advised him to take those quick steps??  

I believe if Sam Mitchell was teaching this kid he would already be approaching the best in the game.   Clayton has been developing himself quite nicely, not sure Simon deserves any of the credit for fast tracking him though.  Kid was a jet to begin with!

This is why I argued on another post Oliver is not an A Grader yet. The lack of coaching he gets or doesnt respect has reached its pinnacle this year where he has on occasion done a sort of jump in the air as he handballs much like a basketballer does when he has hang time and decides to pass instead of shoot. Oliver will be a grade when he commands a match at the death like Danger, Selwood,  Bont and Co. Until then lets appreciate he still needs coaching and development to be great.

26 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Agree with this.

I can't see literally one AFL coach getting the sack this year because of COVID. Furthermore, Goodwin has won too many games this year to be in the sacking territory.

However, if we miss final next year I'd say Goodwin, his assistants and Mahoney will all be gone. Can see a massive overhaul and an admission that Goodwin was a failure of a hiring. 1 finals series out of 5 years is a failure. To suggest otherwise would be akin to putting lipstick on a pig.

Sure but the problem here is if we miss and it is 1-3 finals appearances in 4 years it is a failure irrespective of wins How do you think he would have gone at interview saying I will get you in the finals 25 per cent of the time and at the end of four years. So then do we wait another year to know what we already know if we do not make finals. Call it a sacking, sure but it would be more a case of the Club moving in another direction to obtain success.

1 minute ago, Half forward flank said:

This is why I argued on another post Oliver is not an A Grader yet. The lack of coaching he gets or doesnt respect has reached its pinnacle this year where he has on occasion done a sort of jump in the air as he handballs much like a basketballer does when he has hang time and decides to pass instead of shoot. Oliver will be a grade when he commands a match at the death like Danger, Selwood,  Bont and Co. Until then lets appreciate he still needs coaching and development to be great.

Yeah i agree i would give him a solid B- currently.  Ability wise he should be stand out A grader.  Development is key though.  We need the best midfield coach that $ can buy.   Oliver/Petracca/Brayshaw/Viney can all get so much better.  I think we are doing these guys a disservice atm by not teaching them remotely properly.  I look at our stoppage setups and they collectively have no idea what they are trying to achieve from stoppage to stoppage.  Great bunch of individual talent but until they are taught some "craft" will just be bunch of individuals trying to do it all....and failing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

Yeah i agree i would give him a solid B- currently.  Ability wise he should be stand out A grader.  Development is key though.  We need the best midfield coach that $ can buy.   Oliver/Petracca/Brayshaw/Viney can all get so much better.  I think we are doing these guys a disservice atm by not teaching them remotely properly.  I look at our stoppage setups and they collectively have no idea what they are trying to achieve from stoppage to stoppage.  Great bunch of individual talent but until they are taught some "craft" will just be bunch of individuals trying to do it all....and failing.

There was a stoppage near the wing last game. Langdon came through the stoppage at a million miles an hour and just missed collecting the ball. It was a beautiful example of roving. i am showing my age but would say, mate, you are a rover, start roving, you are a midfield bull, start bullocking........

Thought Id post this hear rather than the Hannan goal footage thread.

Of that footage 3 out of 4 of the names in Salem, Tmac, Melksham and Hannan are not a shadow of their form today. Even Salem has gone backwards. What happened in such a short period that we have gone from prelim to this? 

Edited by leave it to deever

1 hour ago, leave it to deever said:

Thought Id post this hear rather than the Hannan goal footage thread.

Of that footage 3 out of 4 of the names in Salem, Tmac, Melksham and Hannan are not a shadow of their form today. Even Salem has gone backwards. What happened in such a short period that we have gone from prelim to this? 

Not sure I agree about Salem. I think he's had his most consistent year to date. As an aside, I've been wondering whether they'll try him in the midfield tonight. From all the changes, I don't see an obvious replacement for Brayshaw in the middle.  

5 hours ago, Half forward flank said:

I am not one for Mission statements but astonished that Roosy fundamentals for long term success were not laid down in stone as a blueprint that future coaches must follow. Otherwise we just paid huge dollars for a top coach for 2-3 years. What a waste.

We also forget that Roos appointed Goodwin. Say no more.

Y'know, considering what a MASSIVE TOTAL FAILURE OF HUMANITY these last four years have been, it's kind of funny that Goodwin is currently just a fraction behind the likes of Northey and Daniher for win rate.

I'm not saying 'Whoopee everything is fine' but it is possible that not everything has gone to crup just yet. 

The evident coaching problems of lack of creativity on gameday and lack of consistency in player performance are known and must be addressed, but Goodwin is no spud, even if he looks a bit like one when he wrinkles his forehead.

And, yeah, there is still the '2020 is the worst year in living memory' factor.