Unable to maintain success why??

Hogan2014

What are the key factors as to what underpins maintaining success long enough to win a flag. Is it the fact the club has had so many lows that it gets caught up with initial success of making finals & is then overwhelmed, is it the fact that the continue financial issues impacting decisions to maintain success??
Looking at our history of making finals it appears its always been a scramble to get there 87-91, 94, 98-2006 & 2018. We continue to fall of the cliff. The bulldogs are a similar club winning the flag in 2016 have struggled to maintain success & unbelievably turned on each other after this, though I’m sure mfc supporters would be happy with the some outcome. 

1 hour ago, Hogan2014 said:

What are the key factors as to what underpins maintaining success long enough to win a flag. Is it the fact the club has had so many lows that it gets caught up with initial success of making finals & is then overwhelmed, is it the fact that the continue financial issues impacting decisions to maintain success??

Looking at our history of making finals it appears its always been a scramble to get there 87-91, 94, 98-2006 & 2018. We continue to fall of the cliff. The bulldogs are a similar club winning the flag in 2016 have struggled to maintain success & unbelievably turned on each other after this, though I’m sure mfc supporters would be happy with the some outcome. 

Yes.

Its a lack of momentum of winning.  And more-so the momentum of loss for us with our past 50+Yrs.

This effects the players and as they start to overcome the fear,   it still remains entrenched in the fans minds.  And at games when things are tight and opposition are pressing us hard, that anxiety re-emerges outwardly in the Voice tones of the supporters themselves.

For a part of the 2018 season, we were able to be whipped up into a more aggressive mental mindset, and boy,  did the players lap that up.

Aggression overwhelms fear.   It's an antidote to  paralysis/anxiety  of fear.  Except for those who are fearful of aggression,  they will remain stifled,  without good help to overcome this phobia.

The club needs US,  to be more aggressive for the players,  on match-days.   Instead of prim and proper.

Get dee-shevelled on game days,  Melbourne supporters...    Be Proud, and get Loud...  with no inhibition. 

Be Free & be Proud.

Edited by MyFavouriteMartian
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

We haven’t been Successful & we are not hungry enough to REALLY want it...

We want the cake, and to eat it as well.

How can we support our players to be aggressive constantly, when most of us squirm in our seats when things ge really hard and tough.

We should relish it... its a game of footy people.  But having opposing desires of philosophies, harms our chances always.

If we are to help our players become winners we need to shelve our beliefs on game-days and allow ourselves,  and,  Via that, the support our players need to FREE them up to play with aggression to their utmost. 

Kids get bullied because they allow it to happen in most part. 

Well,  AFL is no different,  and we as supporters can help Our Boys,  Or hinder them,  with the attitude we bring to the grounds.

Get aggressive...  At our opposition,  fellow Demonlanders.

Edited by MyFavouriteMartian

12 minutes ago, MyFavouriteMartian said:

We want the cake, and to eat it as well.

How can we support our players to be aggressive constantly, when most of us squirm in our seats when things ge really hard and tough.

We should relish it... its a game of footy people.  But having opposing desires of philosophies, harms our chances always.

If we are to help our players become winners we need to shelve our beliefs on game-days and allow ourselves,  and,  Via that, the support our players need to FREE them up to play with aggression to their utmost. 

Kids get bullied because they allow it to happen in most part. 

Well,  AFL is no different,  and we as supporters can help Our Boys,  Or hinder them,  with the attitude we bring to the grounds.

Get aggressive...  At our opposition,  fellow Demonlanders.

Must you hijack every statement 

It is not my job to Coach the Team

It is up to Goodwin & Bartlett to get results

• Like 1

I can't remember who said it:

"Melbourne were the most professional club in the Amateur era, and the most amateur club in the professional era".

It still pervades the club, because we took so long to get even the most fundamental facilities for a professional football side, something that we are still trying to catch up with.  Paying players, checkbook recruiting, assistant coaches, professionals on the Board instead of ex-players were all things that other clubs were doing long before Melbourne caught up.  

And during that "catch up" period, we had zero success, and the support of members dwindled and continues to dwindle compared with others.    Soft salary cap and real salary cap will drag others down to our level.  But we are coming from a long way back.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hogan2014 said:

MAINTAIN SUCCESS MAINTAIN??? 

We haven't had any success since 64 

A million years ago

When we win multiple flags like Hawks, Richmond, Ess and the like then we can talk about Maintaining success 

Until then... we cannot talk about Maintaining because we have ultimately UNSUCCESSFUL!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Must you hijack every statement 

It is not my job to Coach the Team

It is up to Goodwin & Bartlett to get results

No, It's up to all of us,  And my response to your post,  is,  to all of us,  not to you personally,  swyl. 

So it wasn't a high-jack as such,  swyl.

7 hours ago, george_on_the_outer said:

I can't remember who said it:

"Melbourne were the most professional club in the Amateur era, and the most amateur club in the professional era".

It still pervades the club, because we took so long to get even the most fundamental facilities for a professional football side, something that we are still trying to catch up with. 

Was it the club,  being professional in the amateur period.  

Or was it Checker and Smith, then Barassi,  who were being more professional than the rest.?

Some would argue that Pre Checker,  this club was very amateurish.?

16 hours ago, picket fence said:

MAINTAIN SUCCESS MAINTAIN??? 

We haven't had any success since 64 

A million years ago

When we win multiple flags like Hawks, Richmond, Ess and the like then we can talk about Maintaining success 

Until then... we cannot talk about Maintaining because we have ultimately UNSUCCESSFUL!!

Maintaining success from playing consistently in finals which leads to premiership success is what I’m talking about... which is what Hawks, Geelong , swans , tigers , WC have done 

• Like 1

Success breeds success. We had a chance in the 90s to start a run at success but blew 1990 and were overwhelmed by weagles in 1994.

It was in the period 1995 to 1997 that it ended. Decimating injuries stopped all our momentum in these three years and we could never regain it even through we played finals 5 out of the next 9 years.

We lost our home and home ground advantage to the money needs of the AFL and broadcasters. Training at the Junction Oval was tough but we still made a GF and other finals. Poor coaching and even poorer development cost us dearly - I still cringe when I remember that Green and Bruce were not much better after many years than when they started.

I had predicted that 2020 was to be our year. Not to be but maybe next year.

Go dees.