Coronavirus: AFL & MFC

Big Col

11 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

“My personal view is the importance of facilities is overstated. Invariably club strength is more influenced by list management and having the right environment and culture,"

“I do not agree with the view (elite facilities were important to attract and retain the best players). It is an argument to justify facilities spending."

I have great respect for PJ, and as far as the MFC is concerned, they should be erecting a statue outside the MCG in recognition of his saving the club financially.

However, his view as shown by Moonshadow is way off the mark.  Associating player retention to facilities may have some merit, but it completely ignores the results of having proper facilities. 

North Melbourne may have made 7 prelims in a row, but they didn't win any premierships in that period.  Hawthorn, WCE, Sydney and Richmond did....all with excellent facilities.  Melbourne may have made the GF in 2000 with only the Junction oval as a training ground, but Essendon and Brisbane were the power houses again with facilities ( at the time) simply light years ahead of what we had.

Over both those periods, Melbourne and North had great lists, yet not being able to develop players properly and train them to the standards that the Premiership teams had only resulted in multiple years of failure. 

• Like 2

Nothing to do with players or facilities, but I have a question relating to the GF Guarantee payments that some of us made along with our membership renewals. 

If there are finals and if they are played to empty stadiums, what will become of these payments (which are quite substantial)?  I have no objection to my membership fees being retained by the club, but I am wondering whether there are plans for these additional charges to be carried forward to next year?  I'm not even sure I would like to be guaranteed a seat at a GF this year, to be honest, as I would seriously doubt the chances of such an event being a sell out. I would like to see the club offer the option of applying it to next year's campaign, rather than using it this year, given the circumstances.

Has anyone heard anything on what might happen to the GF Guarantee payment?

The plan outlined by the AFL for its hub included a program for around 2000 tests per week(two during the week and one on game day per player). That's just for the players.

Today NSW proudly announced that they have doubled the number of tests available for the whole of NSW (pop 8M) from 4k per day to 8k.

Anybody else see a problem with the AFL plan ???

18 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

The plan outlined by the AFL for its hub included a program for around 2000 tests per week(two during the week and one on game day per player). That's just for the players.

Today NSW proudly announced that they have doubled the number of tests available for the whole of NSW (pop 8M) from 4k per day to 8k.

Absolutely...

It would be immoral for them to take precedence in testing players above the community.

If they can ensure the whole community can have the same testing regime then Ok, but I doubt that will be the case.

Stick you hub up your a.... Gill

Unless you can play without these silly so called solutions...then don't play.

Simple.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

I wonder whether there will also be the "standard" ASADA drug testing regime during this time?

35 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I wonder whether there will also be the "standard" ASADA drug testing regime during this time?

there was an article I saw a few weeks ago to the affect that athletes were being asked to self administer drug tests during lockdown.

Enough said !!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

And if there is 3 hubs in different states then that would be divided by 3 , yes?

The K League (Korean soccer) is starting up again in a couple of weeks. Usual rules of no crowds etc but they have added a twist...No talking on the pitch.

On the field, it apparently means players can't even converse with teammates or officials during games, and definitely no shaking hands.

"Things like not spitting during the game, we can do no problem but not talking to teammates is impossible,” Incheon United captain Kim Do-hyeok told reporters after a practice game. The interviews took place on the field rather than in the usual mixed zone inside the stadium. "If we can’t have conversations on the field, we may as well not play soccer at all.”

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2020/04/24/soccer/south-koreas-soccer-league-sets-may-8-kickoff-date/

The AFL is exploring options with the ATO for club members to get tax refunds on their memberships. Interesting concept.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/tax-refunds-for-afl-club-members-reportedly-on-the-cards/news-story/da44934ee3a5de34b906eb560844b9c4 

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 1

The AFLPA are waiting for the AFL to provide more information on quarantine hubs amid concerns among players about the mental health challenges of being in such locations, and the potential impact on their families if they are away for an extended period of time.

Although the quarantine hubs are seen as the most viable way to start the season the issue has not been discussed in detail with the full cohort of 840 players.

we're now starting to see some more of the NRL plan.

It seems that players living in a hub city will continue living at home but will have to submit their home to an environmental audit which will include others living in the home.

Other guidelines include temperature checks, daily cleaning of equipment, single access to venues and isolation for players in their homes except for travelling to training, playing, doctor’s visits or essential food shopping. Also proposed are restrictions on training in public spaces outside of the club environment, and a ban on using public transport, taxis and car sharing.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/apr/27/queensland-government-open-to-nrl-return-if-strict-biosecurity-measures-are-followed

Hubs, hubs and more hubs. I’m really struggling to see how a scenario like this is going to work at the moment. Apparently most AFL clubs are against players’ families staying with them in the hubs.

Sloane admitted in an interview the other night it would be very difficult to leave his wife and 7 month old behind in SA with no support network. Good to see a candid response, I’m sure there are other players with the same feelings as Sloane whilst others would be ready to kick a ball tomorrow anywhere.

Could well be in the minority but I’m not missing the footy as much as I thought I would. Might just be all these ideas reminding me we are not back to normal yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Hubs, hubs and more hubs. I’m really struggling to see how a scenario like this is going to work at the moment. Apparently most AFL clubs are against players’ families staying with them in the hubs.

I think the AFL are banking on the hubs being a relatively short term arrangement ...say eight weeks ...and not the whole 16 games plus finals.

Who knows...the only certainty is that they are desperate for money.

The NRL are planning for players who live locally to remain at home. I cannot see why the interstate NRL players couldn't rent an apartment if that better suits their family situation.

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 1