Melbourne v Richmond

Madness

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most points have already been covered, but a couple of observations:

- Robertson was thrashed by Gaspar

- Carroll was also soundly beaten on the lead several times by Pettifer and Schulze

- Deledio kicked what was clearly a goal early in the 1st quarter, and it was given a point to everyones amazement.

- Polak tried to line up and take out Fergs just before 3/4 time, hardly seemed to connect, and his reward for a cowardly act was injuring his shoulder

and sitting out the rest of the game. Quality stuff from the new Tigers recruit.

- The form of our 3 marking forwards after Neitz: Miller, Robbo and Dunne, is a big worry right now.

OK, my two cents worth.

I was at the game with my son, in the Legends Stand, just beyond the shadow line, at about the 35 metre mark Some bloke named Laurie Kerr seems to have sposored just about every seat.

Richmond is coached by Terry Wallace, so we had a flood of biblical proportions. It was nothing to see 18 Richmond players in out forward 50 whenever we had the ball. Numerous times during the game our last line consisting of Bell/Ferguson, Caroll and Bizzel was forward of the centre. We showed commendable discipline to reject the long bomb into the defencive mass and thus frustrated Wallace's plan. I would hate to be a Tiger supporter looking at this game plan week after week. It depends on frustrating your opponent into error, but, a good team will not succumb easily and your side will be spent early on a hot day.

Bowden on Neitz, you're kidding me. I thought Neita was taken off to prevent Richmond's embarrasment. If he could hold his marks, he would have had 6 by half time.

If we complain about Yze not putting his body in in August and September, then, surely, we do not think it is going to happen in a meaningless practice match in mid March.

Miller polarises opinion. He is a paradox. The style of play that he is most effective and successful at depends on an open forward line for him to lead out of. Wallace type teams flood mercilessly and completely negate Miller. The paradox is that Miller will play much better against the better teams that will maintain their structural integrity and allow him the space to lead into.

We are a completely different team with the addition of Davey and Whelan. CJ is a beauty. Dunn, Bate, Junior, Moloney solid.

Bizzel is back! Whitey is a talent, long live the resting ruckman in the forward pocket, 1950's football. Seriously, Whitey is a real talent; he should kick 25-30 goals a year.

The Delidio goal; I just looked at my son and said that we were obviously on a bad angle.

Father/Sons, did RB Jr, John??, play any games. The sponsorship group here used to sponsor Michael Clark who played 1 game.

The paradox is that Miller will play much better against the better teams that will maintain their structural integrity and allow him the space to lead into.

Very true. Just like his game against Freo at Subiaco. He suits big open spaces, the wider the better.

Hate to be the barer of bad news and hopefully it's nothing but I saw Carrol get up very gingerley from a marking contest in the last 5 mins. He appeared to be favouring his right collarbone and took himself off the ground. Did anyone else see this?

If I stick my fingers in my ears, close my eyes and say repeatedly "I see no evil, and hear no evil", will that help? :unsure:

Last year Chopper did this every second week. I got used to it happening so much that I don't even worry anymore when he takes a hit.

Hope I'm right. The bloke is tough as old boots.

Hate to be the barer of bad news and hopefully it's nothing but I saw Carrol get up very gingerley from a marking contest in the last 5 mins. He appeared to be favouring his right collarbone and took himself off the ground. Did anyone else see this?

I saw Carroll and another Melbourne player lying on the ground for a period after coming down hard in a marking contest. I also saw him rejoin play and thought to myself "just winded". Didn't see him take himself off. This was about the period of time of which you speak.

He did have an ice pack on the right shoulder as he came from the bench at the end of the match, perhaps you are correct.

We are a completely different team with the addition of Davey and Whelan. CJ is a beauty. Dunn, Bate, Junior, Moloney solid.

Bizzel is back! Whitey is a talent, long live the resting ruckman in the forward pocket, 1950's football. Seriously, Whitey is a real talent; he should kick 25-30 goals a year.

Undeeniable, you made some good points however I have to disagree with you on Jeff White as a forward. The facts are that the most goals he has ever kicked in a season is 17 and he has been tried in this position before without success. One practice match against a team that is well known to struggle against big forwards is not enough for me to get excited, sadly I think the opposite is more accurate for him - we have seen his best.

Undeeniable, you made some good points however I have to disagree with you on Jeff White as a forward. The facts are that the most goals he has ever kicked in a season is 17 and he has been tried in this position before without success. One practice match against a team that is well known to struggle against big forwards is not enough for me to get excited, sadly I think the opposite is more accurate for him - we have seen his best.

I am well aware that Whitey has never kicked 20 goals a season. I think that someone of his ablility should kick 25-30 a year whether from the ruck or from the occasional foray forward; He has the talent.

Agree with you on White. On what I've seen, if he's played a LOT forward, the team is going to pay. With premiership points. Happy to be proven wrong, but I don't think I will be.

I am well aware that Whitey has never kicked 20 goals a season. I think that someone of his ablility should kick 25-30 a year whether from the ruck or from the occasional foray forward; He has the talent.

And that is CERTAINLY true.