Jump to content

  • Podcast: Draft Wrap Up w/Jason Taylor  

Rodney (Balls) Grinter

Defining Success in 2020 - Is Just Making Finals Enough?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, rjay said:

With all the opposition analysis that goes into games these days it would be unusual for any team to be caught out.

Fritsch can play & will be vital to any improvement in our forward line this year & beyond.

That may well be true rjay but for most of his games last year he played as an average backman. Then when he was switched to the forward line it is only human nature for players to think "I have an easier opponent today" 

That will not happen this season.

I will be very happy if he kicks 45 goals but that is not achieved by many players in the game these days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IN

10 hours ago, Macca said:

Even with all the interrupted pre seasons and off-season surgeries last year we still should have been able to eke out 8 - 10 wins.  We dropped off too far which is concerning.

So I'm hoping that we can at least break even for 2020 and to me that will be a real stepping stone.

If I gave you 11 wins right now would you be tempted to take it if there was real substance in the 11 wins and as an add-on,  real hope for the future?

I agree with this comment (in bold) and I would take 11 wins, purely because it's a 6 win improvement on last year. That's how bad we were.

Off season surgeries and injures explain a drop off, but they can't alone explain a 5-17 drop off. We are supporters can't excuse that.

I think some posters are putting in amazingly high and lofty expectations on this side (eg - top 4) and have forgotten that we're the reigning second worst club in the AFL.

Just making the 8 isn't a successful season in a broader sense, but us making the 8 off a 5 win season would be a very good achievement IMO. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

IN

I agree with this comment (in bold) and I would take 11 wins, purely because it's a 6 win improvement on last year. That's how bad we were.

Off season surgeries and injures explain a drop off, but they can't alone explain a 5-17 drop off. We are supporters can't excuse that.

I think some posters are putting in amazingly high and lofty expectations on this side (eg - top 4) and have forgotten that we're the reigning second worst club in the AFL.

Just making the 8 isn't a successful season in a broader sense, but us making the 8 off a 5 win season would be a very good achievement IMO. 

 

Agree 100% BBP. Your last sentence says it all.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Agree with much of what you are saying Macca.

But at the same time, I do wounder if the expectations or lack there of within the supporter base and or the recent history of lack of success feed back and infect the psyche within the playing group and club.

The players last year did also talk about riding the wave of support that embraced the club come finals time and in some ways I wounder if that contributed to us playing too many players carrying injuries along the way that ended up totally screwing our 2019, where as a club more confident and focused on winning flags would have taken better stock of what finishing 5th meant for the road ahead in finals and wouldn't have thrown the kitchen sink at winning two elimination finals at the expense of the physical well being of so many of those players?

Anyways I know for me personally I've learnt the lesson that winning premierships from the lower rungs of the 8 is a folly and if we are not on track to do that, then not to get too hung up about the season as it plays out win/loss and final position wise.  Also to finish in that top four, it usually means only 5 - 6 losses for the season or only one loss in every 5 - 6 games, so if that's not how we are tracking, then again it's just another development year, perhaps with some additional finals experience added on.

I prefer to view things as the club will do whatever regardless of how we feel or what we say or do. 

We'd like to think that we make a difference but really we don't. 

I have been involved in local sport all my life and that is where one can really make a difference. 

Just my view of course but the club obviously knows its supporter base wants success ... and they know we're fiercely loyal too.  Just like any other fan base

I gave the Hawthorn example because I don't believe their supporters are any different to ours ... in the last half century 12 flags versus 0 flags.

And considering our lack of success in the half century it's quite amazing to have over 50 thousand members.

We are the club's greatest asset.  Make no mistake about that.  Fitzroy & South Melbourne supporters lost their clubs because of a lack of onfield success (which evemtually effected their supporter numbers)

So never beat yourself up about your own support for the club.  You and the rest of us are playing our part.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Macca said:

I prefer to view things as the club will do whatever regardless of how we feel or what we say or do. 

We'd like to think that we make a difference but really we don't. 

I have been involved in local sport all my life and that is where one can really make a difference. 

Just my view of course but the club obviously knows its supporter base wants success ... and they know we're fiercely loyal too.  Just like any other fan base

I gave the Hawthorn example because I don't believe their supporters are any different to ours ... in the last half century 12 flags versus 0 flags.

And considering our lack of success in the half century it's quite amazing to have over 50 thousand members.

We are the club's greatest asset.  Make no mistake about that.  Fitzroy & South Melbourne supporters lost their clubs because of a lack of onfield success (which evemtually effected their supporter numbers)

So never beat yourself up about your own support for the club.  You and the rest of us are playing our part.

Agree Macca as members there is nothing more we can do. However it raises a question, after 56 years of dismal results it would appear a group is letting the club down rather severely. Who are they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, old dee said:

Agree Macca as members there is nothing more we can do. However it raises a question, after 56 years of dismal results it would appear a group is letting the club down rather severely. Who are they?

In my opinion we've often never had enough real talent and I measure the list against dynasty type teams.

Why?  Because that is how good you need to be. Our biggest failings has been with recruiting.  And I'd argue that recruiting is the most important aspect of a club.

Great recruiting = A great list (as long as the coaching and all the rest of it is sound)  But it all goes hand in hand so the leadership and expertise from the top needs to be A1 in order to be great at recruiting.

Do that and then the wins happen.  Hawthorn's strength has been it's recruiting.  In the last half century,  they've done it better than any other team

We were once in the same position under Smith,  Cardwell with Ivor as the right hand man to Norm.  Back then (from what I've been told & what I've read) our recruiting was supreme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Macca said:

 

I gave the Hawthorn example because I don't believe their supporters are any different to ours ... in the last half century 12 flags versus 0 flags.

 

From what I've observed I think there are diffences.  Asides from them having a heap more arrogant sunny day supporters, even their more reasonable supporters don't get carried away with just making finals when they are not in a realistic position to contend, because when you have won a flag only 3 - 5 years earlier, why get carried away and grasp at straw hopes of a miracle flag from 6th position.

Conversely winning that flag from outside 4th is all I've ever known as a MFC supporter and thus until fairly reciently I've held onto that hope that us making finals gives us a chance at that all illusive premiership.

Incidentally, I didn't think we would beat WC in the prelim in 18 and didn't think we would take the world by storm in 2019, but didn't think the drop off would be so sharp either.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So for me, just making the 8 in 2020 will be just - meh, now show us if this side is really something and finish top 4 in 2021.

P.S. to contradictory to almost everything I have stated in this thread, I took out the G.F. gaurentee membership option early in 2018, because if we ever do make it again an win one, by F%#@, I'm going to be there at the G to remember it!

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Macca said:

In my opinion we've often never had enough real talent and I measure the list against dynasty type teams.

Why?  Because that is how good you need to be. Our biggest failings has been with recruiting.  And I'd argue that recruiting is the most important aspect of a club.

Great recruiting = A great list (as long as the coaching and all the rest of it is sound)  But it all goes hand in hand so the leadership and expertise from the top needs to be A1 in order to be great at recruiting.

Do that and then the wins happen.  Hawthorn's strength has been it's recruiting.  In the last half century,  they've done it better than any other team

We were once in the same position under Smith,  Cardwell with Ivor as the right hand man to Norm.  Back then (from what I've been told & what I've read) our recruiting was supreme.

I maintain that the MFC took decades to escape the success is the 50's. Back then players flocked to join the MFC because we were successful and were the establishment team. However during the sixties the competition started to go professional and the MFC believe that players would still want to come to the MFC simply because we were Melbourne and played at the G. Norm Smith tried to tell the club things were changing  but they could not see it. We stayed stuck in this mind set for decades and the rest is history. IMO we have only really got with it in the last 7-8 years. We still have no home. I place the blame on decades of "conservative" management. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

From what I've observed I think there are diffences.  Asides from them having a heap more arrogant sunny day supporters, even their more reasonable supporters don't get carried away with just making finals when they are not in a realistic position to contend, because when you have won a flag only 3 - 5 years earlier, why get carried away and grasp at straw hopes of a miracle flag from 6th position

The differences you highlight I don't bother with

It's just Supporter-Speak based on human instincts.  We'd be the same if we were as successful.  Arrogance comes naturally per se.

Clubs operate despite what their supporters say or do (primarily)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, old dee said:

I maintain that the MFC took decades to escape the success is the 50's. Back then players flocked to join the MFC because we were successful and were the establishment team. However during the sixties the competition started to go professional and the MFC believe that players would still want to come to the MFC simply because we were Melbourne and played at the G. Norm Smith tried to tell the club things were changing  but they could not see it. We stayed stuck in this mind set for decades and the rest is history. IMO we have only really got with it in the last 7-8 years. We still have no home. I place the blame on decades of "conservative" management. 

The zones were a big big factor too although it could be argued we didn't put enough time & effort into our zones (?)

The older members would know more about that than I would.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Macca said:

The zones were a big big factor too although it could be argued we didn't put enough time & effort into our zones (?)

The older members would know more about that than I would.

Zones did affect interstate recruiting. IMO the club that did the best out of zones was Carlton. They got a beauty in Bendigo. Anyway here we are in 2020 as always hoping a new season will be different. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, old dee said:

Zones did affect interstate recruiting. IMO the club that did the best out of zones was Carlton. They got a beauty in Bendigo. Anyway here we are in 2020 as always hoping a new season will be different. 

I think Hawthorn did better 'old'...and they made the most of it.

Carlton bought their flags and did a bit of a Melbourne, they didn't adapt to the changing game like us in the 60's.

Hawthorn nearly fell away as well but for some smart work from the likes of Dicker. He didn't share the arrogant traits of his Carlton rivals.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, old dee said:

Zones did affect interstate recruiting. IMO the club that did the best out of zones was Carlton. They got a beauty in Bendigo. Anyway here we are in 2020 as always hoping a new season will be different. 

But we have no such excuses in the drafting era (although we did contest the finals 12 years out of 20 from '87)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, 58er said:

Fritsch is not a robust player Flower also not but didn't make any difference to him.

Bayley needs to play his role Yes  But it's up to other forwards Tom Mac Weide Milkshake  Trac plus Kossy and others to be more physical and allow his considerable skills to shine and kick 40/50 goals this Season.

Flower did play, robustly.   He'd tackle, fly through or over packs etc.   One match he almost knocked out Jeff Sarau down at Moorabbin when flying for a mark.

 

No player should get a leave pass Re being physical, in the Melbourne side.

Remember garlett just finished with us 58'r

They both (Fritta and Weide), need to step it up a gear in 2020.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MyFavouriteMartian said:

Flower did play, robustly.   He'd tackle, fly through or over packs etc.   One match he almost knocked out Jeff Sarau down at Moorabbin when flying for a mark.

 

No player should get a leave pass Re being physical, in the Melbourne side.

Remember garlett just finished with us 58'r

They both (Fritta and Weide), need to step it up a gear in 2020.

 

Partially agree, but I don't see much about the way Freitch plays as being non robust. 

Guy is a better pack mark than some others twice his size in our team.  Have seen him frequently put his body on the line and bring down quality marks, so I don't get this thing about Fritta needing to step into gear - he just needs to be played in position forward where he is best suited and of most value to our team and not down back, where perhaps he doesn't have the right mindset to be either a defensive player or distribute the ball as confidently on the rebound.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Partially agree, but I don't see much about the way Freitch plays as being non robust. 

Guy is a better pack mark than some others twice his size in our team.  Have seen him frequently put his body on the line and bring down quality marks, so I don't get this thing about Fritta needing to step into gear - he just needs to be played in position forward where he is best suited and of most value to our team and not down back, where perhaps he doesn't have the right mindset to be either a defensive player or distribute the ball as confidently on the rebound.

The message is to become more of a leader,  in showing the way,  Re both, Fritta especially,  and Weide needs to step it up this year.

 

I don't want to see more of the same from Fritta.  I want to see him take another step forward. 

Same with Harmes, Hunt, Petracca, & ANB.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As always there a few parts of the fixture this year that are a worry:

-Rounds 1 & 2 - WC away and GWS home, with only a six day break between the two, quite possibly could be 0-2 with a poor percentage 

- Rounds 5 & 6 - GC away then 6 day turnaround for ANZAC Day eve against Richmond

- Round 8 against Adelaide in NT - should be a home game in Melbourne 

- Round 15 -20 - Have Brisbane, Fremantle, Adelaide all interstate and Geelong at Kardinia in ostensibly a period of 6 weeks

- Round 23 - last game i Hobart against North (again...)

 

Slightly more changeling than I though at first.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, old dee said:

I maintain that the MFC took decades to escape the success is the 50's. Back then players flocked to join the MFC because we were successful and were the establishment team. However during the sixties the competition started to go professional and the MFC believe that players would still want to come to the MFC simply because we were Melbourne and played at the G. Norm Smith tried to tell the club things were changing  but they could not see it. We stayed stuck in this mind set for decades and the rest is history. IMO we have only really got with it in the last 7-8 years. We still have no home. I place the blame on decades of "conservative" management. 

Fairly sure a lot of our good players under Smith were from different parts of the bush but when we were restricted to the Goulburn Valley only  (or part of) that all changed.

Ironically we did get a few excellent players from that zone later on when the draft was first phased in (notably Lyon,  Schwarz,  David Williams and 1 or 2 others)

And the zones were meant to be switched around every 3 to 5 years but that never happened.

From what I've been told we were given the worst possible zones because of the ongoing success that we were having back then.

That's probably what Smith was going on about (?)  But by hell we dropped away (talent-wise) in a hurry post that great era. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Macca said:

The zones were a big big factor too although it could be argued we didn't put enough time & effort into our zones (?)

The older members would know more about that than I would.

There were also zones within the city of Melbourne itself. They originally came into force in 1916 and remained until at least the sixties.

The country was however a free for all until the mid sixties.

"The VFL’s response was to zone rural Victoria and the Riverina of New South Wales in a similar manner to metropolitan Melbourne. Because of the sparseness of Australia’s rural population, the country zones related not to the player’s address, but rather to the league in which he played. This difference made zone boundaries effectively impossible to adjust, and was a critical component of the failure of country zoning. The VFL was aware that discrepancies existed in the strength of each zone, and it was originally planned that the zones would be rotated every year so that each club would obtain a chance of receiving the best young country players.

However,Carlton and Hawthorn lodged complaints with the VFL, as they had productive zones and were naturally unwilling to give them up for less productive ones,[1] so the zones remained the same from the inception of country zoning until it was abolished in 1986. There was also no provision for demographic changes which occurred in the various country zones, which exacerbated the problems mentioned above."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoning_(Australian_rules_football)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schwarz was from our Under 19s via Sunbury.  Lyon was recruited before the draft commenced and also started in the U19s.

There were worse zones than us, notably Collingwood who had the most unproductive South-West of Victoria which was known as the Western Border League at that time.  Having said that, the Goulburn Valley didn't provide much in the way of talent for us.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After only winning 5 games making finals is a pass

Making prelim a good year

Winning a prelim a very good year

Flag better than excellent 

Making a GF would be exceeding expectations after 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2020 at 7:41 PM, old dee said:

One reason. He probably caught a few defences out in 2019. They will be right on to him this year.

It's one of the small games within a game that I am really looking forward to this year.

Without a doubt his opponent this year will be aware of what he can do and find new ways of attempting to shut him out.

I still remember Howe coping this when he played forward at times. His opponents figured out to simply make body contact during his run at the ball (illegally but too soft to call) preventing him from making a decent jump. Howe was a one trick pony and had no answer.

Fritsch isn't a one trick pony. He is a natural forward. Lacks a bit of speed but has worked on his endurance. It will be great to see the battle each week. What will they do to stop him and how will he overcome their tactics? It's a great thing. Fritsch deserves the attention because he is that talented. But can he take it to the next level?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BAMF said:

It's one of the small games within a game that I am really looking forward to this year.

Without a doubt his opponent this year will be aware of what he can do and find new ways of attempting to shut him out.

I still remember Howe coping this when he played forward at times. His opponents figured out to simply make body contact during his run at the ball (illegally but too soft to call) preventing him from making a decent jump. Howe was a one trick pony and had no answer.

Fritsch isn't a one trick pony. He is a natural forward. Lacks a bit of speed but has worked on his endurance. It will be great to see the battle each week. What will they do to stop him and how will he overcome their tactics? It's a great thing. Fritsch deserves the attention because he is that talented. But can he take it to the next level?

Good question BAMF, I hope he does as well as some are suggesting because we sure need a decent Forward to help take the pressure of TMac.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE YEAR THE SKY FELL by The Oracle

    After a number of years of linear movement up the ladder, the Melbourne Football Club unexpectedly went into serious decline in 2019, slumping from fourth to 17th in a season that coach Simon Goodwin described “a complete wipe-out”. Those around the club who tried to analyse the apocalyptic events that unfolded during the year were hard pressed to find a single reason for the debacle but the most plausible explanation was that the club’s troubles stemmed from a lack of fitness and injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...