Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

"Professionals"

Demon3

Hard to imagine any other organisation not reviewing a poor performance and then expecting the problems it highlighted will just go away.

The Prelim final loss opened up such glaring and gaping hole sin our system.. as a club you would think that would be enough to go.. ok we can beat some sides but most now have unlocked the kryptonite.. lets address it and lets systematically go about making sure we prepare for it.

But we decided to ignore it, publicly state that not a big review was done as that didnt represent the way we play. Its is absolutely astounding that this was the approach.

Im just so over this clubs continual contempt for professionalism. Its got me, im a passionate supporter.. but i feel drained. and let downs are piling up. Last year was a great year, but im afraid, that is as close as we will get.. for how long im not sure... and thats now the worry.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

We didn't ignore it.  Tell me where Goodwin said we ignored it.

This myth is starting to get just as tiresome as our performances on the field.  They didn't do a normal review, but that doesn't mean they didn't review it.  Not only that, Goodwin has said that they reviewed the Grand Final as well and took plenty away from what the Eagles did that day.  

Seriously.  I know the performances have been well, well below par so far this season, but let's stop pedaling this rubbish about how we didn't review the Prelim.  We did.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

This myth is starting to get just as tiresome as our performances on the field.  They didn't do a normal review, but that doesn't mean they didn't review it.  Not only that, Goodwin has said that they reviewed the Grand Final as well and took plenty away from what the Eagles did that day.  

Seriously.  I know the performances have been well, well below par so far this season, but let's stop pedaling this rubbish about how we didn't review the Prelim.  We did.  

We did ignore it, we are still playing the same way 7 months later. 

Wake up...

• Like 4

Goodwin said just before the round 1 game on Fox that we didn't review the Pre-lim, he also said just after that loss we wouldn't look too far into it, on radio during summer and last night on On The couch? One of them said Goodwin told them he didn't review it. He also did similar last year after one of our poorer games, maybe Hawks that he wouldn't spend time reviewing it and said he knew the way we want to play. Not having a go at you WB, but I thought it was pretty common knowledge and Goody has been very stubborn as a coach especially on game day tactics.

By the way, in that same interview before round 1 Goody was asked if we'd changed anything with the new rules, he said no and that we have a clear understanding of how we want to play - so stubborn. I also think injuries have cruelled us and we don't have any decent depth. We really need to recruit players who have foot skills, I've said it for years, hawks built the era of greatness around drafting those players and building a gameplan around them.

Edited by SFebes
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

We did ignore it, we are still playing the same way 7 months later. 

Wake up...

Prove to me that we ignored it.  His point is that we didn't do a review of that Prelim Game, when in fact we did, albeit not the usual one we do.

2 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Prove to me that we ignored it.  His point is that we didn't do a review of that Prelim Game, when in fact we did, albeit not the usual one we do.

No we didn’t. Goodwin has said 2-3 times the game was not reviewed because it was not the Melbourne brand. 

He considered it a bad day, rather than a lesson to learn from

Silly boy

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

17 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Cool, you go with what ever makes you feel better,.. i mean you you said it yourself.. they didnt do a normal review..  its basically the same thing.. yeah review other clubs great call.. dont do proper review of your own team.. its crazy and most logical and sensible supporters know it.

dont make excuses for them, it should have been reviewd with an inch of its life. 

2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

No we didn’t. Goodwin has said 2-3 times the game was not reviewed because it was not the Melbourne brand. 

He considered it a bad day, rather than a lesson to learn from

Silly boy

Prove it.

He said they didn't do a regular play by play with the players, but that they still took learnings from it and reviewed some of the aspects of the game.  He also said they took a lot out of the Grand Final as well.

Silly geriatric.

“I tried to parcel our finals up into three. We had two really great experiences and one poor one. I certainly didn’t dwell too much on the way we played because it was nothing like the way the Melbourne team plays. But you do reflect on the things in our program we keep addressing and learning from,”

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SFebes said:

Goodwin said just before the round 1 game on Fox that we didn't review the Pre-lim, he also said just after that loss we wouldn't look too far into it, on radio during summer and last night on On The couch? One of them said Goodwin told them he didn't review it. He also did similar last year after one of our poorer games, maybe Hawks that he wouldn't spend time reviewing it and said he knew the way we want to play. Not having a go at you WB, but I thought it was pretty common knowledge and Goody has been very stubborn as a coach especially on game day tactics.

By the way, in that same interview before round 1 Goody was asked if we'd changed anything with the new rules, he said no and that we have a clear understanding of how we want to play - so stubborn. I also think injuries have cruelled us and we don't have any decent depth. We really need to recruit players who have foot skills, I've said it for years, hawks built the era of greatness around drafting those players and building a gameplan around them.

He is walking a very dangerous path, i could not believe the comments of Goody over summer and preseason

Arrogance that was just so unnecessary, but now we are in 17th and Richmond ready to inflict a huge belting...

17 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Ok, so Goodwin and co reviewed it.

What was learnt from said reviews of how WCE beat us or how they beat Coll in the GF? 

From the outside looking in no changes or even tweaks are visible to recruiting, game plan, tactics, so its reasonable to conclude that the 'review' was put down to what Goodwin called 'a poor game that wasn't how Melbourne play'. 

The point you are missing is the way WCE beat us is exactly the same as Hawks, Tigers, Pies, Saints etal did last year.  And how Port, Geelong, Essendon and Saints have this year. 

Reviewed? Yes.  Changes? No.  Action? No. 

Goodwin can say and spin all he wants but the lack of action is there for all to see.  Actions speak louder than words. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2
  • Angry 1

2 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Prove it.

He said they didn't do a regular play by play with the players, but that they still took learnings from it and reviewed some of the aspects of the game.  He also said they took a lot out of the Grand Final as well.

Silly geriatric.

“I tried to parcel our finals up into three. We had two really great experiences and one poor one. I certainly didn’t dwell too much on the way we played because it was nothing like the way the Melbourne team plays. But you do reflect on the things in our program we keep addressing and learning from,”

Scant respect for a game that tore us apart. You believe what you want Wiseboy, it doesn’t bother me

if i was Coach i would have studied every frame of that Preliminary Final with the players. 

Keep wearing those happy glasses

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

Cool, you go with what ever makes you feel better,.. i mean you you said it yourself.. they didnt do a normal review..  its basically the same thing.. yeah review other clubs great call.. dont do proper review of your own team.. its crazy and most logical and sensible supporters know it.

dont make excuses for them, it should have been reviewd with an inch of its life. 

Too right 3

0 goals at halftime in the biggest game we had played in 20 years

Paying the price now...

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

6 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Ok, so Goodwin and co reviewed it.

Thanks.  That's the point I'm trying to make.

I'm firmly in the camp that how we returned to pre-season training, the off season surgeries etc are far more to blame for the start to the year we've had.  As others in the media have discussed, our game is predicated on that manic style of football where we run, run and run.  We don't have the fitness to do it right now (which is on the players) and we're being found out.

We might have gotten rolled a few times last season, but I also recall that game style working interstate and in two important finals.  Do we need to make large changes to a gamestyle that worked more often than it didn't?

Maybe we could have made a few more tweaks, but as I said above, I put down the game plan falling down to a side that is not fit enough to implement it the way it should be.

Edited by Wiseblood
  • Like 2

I'm surprised at how often we choose to believe what anyone working in the AFL actually says. I believe most coaches tell the truth most, but not all, of the time. Some more than others. But I don't believe any coach tells the truth 100% of the time. So, if Goodwin says he didn't review the preliminary final, I, for one, assume that this comment may or may not be true. That's just the way the AFL, and I suspect every professional sport (and life in general), works. 

• Like 3

On 4/23/2019 at 10:53 AM, Wiseblood said:

Thanks.  That's the point I'm trying to make.

I'm firmly in the camp that how we returned to pre-season training, the off season surgeries etc are far more to blame for the start to the year we've had.  As others in the media have discussed, our game is predicated on that manic style of football where we run, run and run.  We don't have the fitness to do it right now (which is on the players) and we're being found out.

We might have gotten rolled a few times last season, but I also recall that game style working interstate and in two important finals.  Do we need to make large changes to a gamestyle that worked more often than it didn't?

Maybe we could have made a few more tweaks, but as I said above, I put down the game plan falling down to a side that is not fit enough to implement it the way it should be.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

The point is.. Not enough was done and i dont think anyone can argue we ignored  the changes and the adaptation required to improve. Its from the coach down.  

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Yeah, well, they didnt review it hard enough ?

32 minutes ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

I don’t care if they said they didn’t watch it but did or vice versa the truth is we are playing like [censored]

Even if they did “analyst it” they obviously have not learned much.

Insanity is continuing to do what does not work.

• Like 1

I don’t know how in depth our review was or wasn’t, but I do agree with @Lucifer's Hero on the point of the PF loss is very similar to our losses to Dons and Saints this year in the way the opposition has set-up against us.

Watching the PF live at Optus all I can remember early from the game is seeing two of their quickest players in Rioli and Ryan setting up defensively on a flank each just outside our defensive 50 forcing our defenders trying to clear down the middle a lot where turnovers were created resulting in scores for them.

The Dons hardly started Tippa and Fantasia inside 50 in Round 3 where you would have thought they would be most dangerous. It seemed they were used as high half forwards/wings at the time using their speed to block our rebounds and counter us quickly. 

Again on Saturday, Billings and Gresham were used the same way. Might be just coincidence, but simply from an observational point of view the similarities are striking.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

I don’t know how in depth our review was or wasn’t, but I do agree with @Lucifer's Hero on the point of the PF loss is very similar to our losses to Dons and Saints this year in the way the opposition has set-up against us.

Watching the PF live at Optus all I can remember early from the game is seeing two of their quickest players in Rioli and Ryan setting up defensively on a flank each just outside our defensive 50 forcing our defenders trying to clear down the middle a lot where turnovers were created resulting in scores for them.

The Dons hardly started Tippa and Fantasia inside 50 in Round 3 where you would have thought they would be most dangerous. It seemed they were used as high half forwards/wings at the time using their speed to block our rebounds and counter us quickly. 

Again on Saturday, Billings and Gresham were used the same way. Might be just coincidence, but simply from an observational point of view the similarities are striking.

Please send that post through to the FD... 

Appreciate the succinct analysis @Dee Zephyr

• Like 4