Who is your pick to step up over the next month?

Wiseblood

I agree that Lewis and Vince need to step up to show some leadership for what is a pretty young team at the moment. But Gawn, McDonald, Hibberd, Melksham... all of these players have been around for 5+ years. They need to stand up as a group to stand up and be counted.

In terms of players that might be able to come in to play a role, Trenners if Goodwin and the list management team think he still can be a part of our list going beyond this year, otherwise, JKH, Maynard and the like to step up.

White was pretty ineffectual, I'd like to see Joel Smith back in the side, but he needs a couple of weeks conditioning in the VFL I think before he comes back.

Also don't want to see any of the players with soft tissue probs coming back too soon, we are still a serious chance this year!

3 hours ago, GCDee said:

Has Hibberd ever played mid? Has great skills and is super tough around the ball could also be a option 

Let's leave Hibberd where he is. He doing a pretty good job of it. Tough as nails and to paraphrase Bruuuuuuuuuce, he's got a beautiful leg.

• Like 3

It seemed to me that ANB wasn't in many centre bounces against the Swans. If I'm correct in that perception, maybe he was one of the players suffering most from the multiple 6 day breaks. After a 9 day break, I'd like to see him doing more of the in-and-under work that we've got used to Jones and Viney doing (although I accept they also play well on the outside). ANB wasn't alone last Friday, but it wasn't a great game from him. Previous to that, though, I've liked his game. He has done a lot of the linking up play between the arcs. I don't know if he'll be the one to step up, but I would like it to be. 

There's a few guys at Casey who owe us big time for the third and fourth chances they seem to be getting. Kennedy, Kent, JKH, Spencer, etc.

Trengove is not necessarily in that group, but should be the first cab off the rank. Otherwise why have him on the list? He is the perfect replacement for Jones & Viney.

Melksham, Lewis & Vince have been consistent under performers this year. All three need to step up over the next month.

We had a lot of passengers on Friday, we can't afford to carry non-contributors through the next month.

3 hours ago, Demonised said:

No love for Spencer? Maybe bring him in to help out Max as he tries to get back into things?

That's an interesting point. Perhaps with Carltons defensive structure, we'll need some tall marking contested options to break through their zone defence and Pedo could be rested or we go in with a tall forwardline with some Kent/Kennedy as crumbers and throw ANB into the middle?

Edited by DominatrixTyson
  • Like 1

As many have said the obvious ones who need to step up are Lewis and Vince. I would place both in the guts this week for some hardened bodies. Perhaps play Vince in a run with role on Cripps, blanket him like he did to Sloan. 

The other is perhaps an obvious one but it could even be the making of him. Petracca.

He was one of our best vs Sydney (admittedly not saying a whole lot) and he's starting to get a symbiotic relationship going with big Maxxy. We will need him to take another big step for us to win remaining matches. 

I'll certainly be praying to Jesus that it is in fact, Dean Kent.

The bloke has all physical tools to not only play a role but really impact games at AFL level, he has done it in the past, it just seems like the mental application isn't there consistently.

He is coming off some good VFL form (minus the boozing) which suggests he has been working on consistency between games.

I am certainly biased toward Kent over JKH and Kennedy because I think Kent has a higher ceiling, but he has been downright disappointing this year.

If he can't have an impact when we most need him it makes it difficult to defend him from trade talks.

• Like 1

I'm another with Harmesy.  I predicted at the start of the season that he could become a bullocking, crash/burst through midfielder for us and whilst I don't quite think it's happened consistently yet, I think we have seen glimpses - now's his moment.

I also like the sentiment of Trengove, but haven't seen enough of him this year to know how realistic it is he is about to burst back onto the scene.

As a bit of a wildcard, I wouldn't mind seeing Watts in more of an on ball ruck rover role  (hamstring permitting).  Players with serious height are the new on ballers and having him distribute the ball in more parts of the ground would be a serious benifit.  Can imagine him, Patracca and Oliver having some serious party tricks roving off Gawn.  

Throwing Tommy Mc into the guts in a roving capacity is another I'd consider.  He has the endurance, reasonable evasive skills and what other position is there left for him to play.

Jessy to step up and back to his dominant best is something else we really need.  We also need him,  Pedo, Gawn and Tommy Mc (perhaps even Oscar the way he's travelling ATM) moving up the ground and providing us with solid, reliable hit up targets out of defense the way Chip Frawley did the last season he played for us.  I think all the aforementioned are well capable of doing this for us and it's something we missed a bit last week.

I'd love to see Bernie back to his high impact best, but I'm not sure he's still got it in him, or that we should nessacery expect him or Lewis to do the heavy lifting anymore.  They still bring value to the side in other ways and it's time for the young guns to step up.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter

22 hours ago, TickleMeTyson said:

I'll certainly be praying to Jesus that it is in fact, Dean Kent.

The bloke has all physical tools to not only play a role but really impact games at AFL level, he has done it in the past, it just seems like the mental application isn't there consistently.

He is coming off some good VFL form (minus the boozing) which suggests he has been working on consistency between games.

I am certainly biased toward Kent over JKH and Kennedy because I think Kent has a higher ceiling, but he has been downright disappointing this year.

If he can't have an impact when we most need him it makes it difficult to defend him from trade talks.

I've been thinking for a while that Dean Kent has too many 'Col Sylvia traits' for my liking, and I reckon he recently confirmed another one.  Time for him to decide whether he wants to remain on our list or be traded to Freo. . 

• Like 2

The backline . 

Gawn needs to show his body can handle it and stop being pushed around he looks to have slimmed down over his injury break .

On 2017-07-03 at 10:27 PM, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I'm another with Harmesy.  I predicted at the start of the season that he could become a bullocking, crash/burst through midfielder for us and whilst I don't quite think it's happened consistently yet, I think we have seen glimpses - now's his moment.

I also like the sentiment of Trengove, but haven't seen enough of him this year to know how realistic it is he is about to bust back onto the scene.

As a bit of a wildcard, I wouldn't mind seeing Watts in more of an on ball ruck rover role  (hamstring permitting).  Players with serious height are the new on ballers and having him distribute the ball in more parts of the ground would be a serious benifit.  Can imagine him, Patracca and Oliver having some serious party tricks roving off Gawn.  

Throwing Tommy Mc into the guts in a roving capacity is another I'd consider.  He has the endurance, reasonable evasive skills and what other position is there left for him to play.

Jessy to step up and back to his dominant best is something else we really need.  We also need him,  Pedo, Gawn and Tommy Mc (perhaps even Oscar the way he's travelling ATM) moving up the ground and providing us with solid, reliable hit up targets out of defense the way Chip Frawley did the last season he played for us.  I think all the aforementioned are well capable of doing this for us and it's something we missed a bit last week.

I'd love to see Bernie back to his high impact best, but I'm not sure he's still got it in him, or that we should nessacery expect him or Lewis to do the heavy lifting anymore.  They still bring value to the side in other ways and it's time for the young guns to step up.

Tmac to tag Cripps would help the other on ballers this week. 6 feet 5 v same ish . 

• Like 1