Matt de Boer

Straight Sets Simon

PRO's:
Fantastic trainer, senior experience in a successful team, great tackler, quality state league player 

Would mostly be an investment for Casey and in culture, with the slight possibility he comes in and plays as a pressure forward if we need a big kick along in that spot. Whilst he wouldn't fill a need as a best 22 player he'd at least provide the pressure to our younger forwards to chase and tackle or be replaced.

I guess if we've taken 4 young kids (2 national draft, 2 rookies, maybe even 5 with a cat B rookie) and then don't think there's much else in way of talent out there we could add him to the rookie list.

All things going to plan we don't need to add more than 4 young kids in because by the time they do a few preseasons we should have a strong side and be trading to fill gaps and not be blooding fresh speculative talent. Drafting speculative youth unlikely to ever get near a senior game probably weighs down development coaches and training standards.

CON's:

Skills are ordinary and doesn't hold a spot in the midfield, outside or forward. Isn't quick.

Lewis has come in to give us another leader. Trengove is already one player who's mainly on the list as that experienced culture guy who's going to do all the right things at Casey. Garland and Lumumba are guys with leadership ability who seem more likely than not to be at Casey. 

ANB, Bugg, Vanders, Harmes, JKH, Kennedy, Joel Smith, Wagner, probably McKenna maybe Maynard, there's more than a few youngish guys who aren't best  22 but are very good VFL players with mature bodies. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

PRO's:
Fantastic trainer, senior experience in a successful team, great tackler, quality state league player 

Would mostly be an investment for Casey and in culture, with the slight possibility he comes in and plays as a pressure forward if we need a big kick along in that spot. Whilst he wouldn't fill a need as a best 22 player he'd at least provide the pressure to our younger forwards to chase and tackle or be replaced.

I guess if we've taken 4 young kids (2 national draft, 2 rookies, maybe even 5 with a cat B rookie) and then don't think there's much else in way of talent out there we could add him to the rookie list.

All things going to plan we don't need to add more than 4 young kids in because by the time they do a few preseasons we should have a strong side and be trading to fill gaps and not be blooding fresh speculative talent. Drafting speculative youth unlikely to ever get near a senior game probably weighs down development coaches and training standards.

CON's:

Skills are ordinary and doesn't hold a spot in the midfield, outside or forward. Isn't quick.

Lewis has come in to give us another leader. Trengove is already one player who's mainly on the list as that experienced culture guy who's going to do all the right things at Casey. Garland and Lumumba are guys with leadership ability who seem more likely than not to be at Casey. 

ANB, Bugg, Vanders, Harmes, JKH, Kennedy, Joel Smith, Wagner, probably McKenna maybe Maynard, there's more than a few youngish guys who aren't best  22 but are very good VFL players with mature bodies. 

I guess the successful team thing is all that he has over Grimes.

If we were looking to rookie him I would rather throw Jack a lifeline if no one else picks him up.

• Like 2

Would have to be too far down the depth chart across a few positions at MFC (considering you need to play youngsters to develop them).

Better off taking pick 60+ to the draft. Certainly not worthy of any de-listing anyone currently on the main list.

• Like 1

I reckon if we were going to move someone else on to create a list spot for a DFA we'd look at a ruckman before someone like this. 

he's probably a good fit for the Suns or Lions who don't have the senior bodies.

14 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Kim Hagdorn on 6PR said we are interested in him as a delisted free agent.

is he any good or just another Viv Michie?

He's actually a poor man's Viv Michie.

If we are going down the delisted free agent road, why wouldn't we have gone for Barlow who is 3 times the player that de Boer is. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

If we are going down the delisted free agent road, why wouldn't we have gone for Barlow who is 3 times the player that de Boer is. 

You would presume it's because Barlow was offered a place on the GC primary list, and that any DFA that we are potentially looking at will be offered a Rookie list spot.

Means more money and "more" security for the player.

41 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Barlow was good enough to get a senior list spot. De Boer probably isn't. He's also younger, faster, less injury prone and probably slight more effective as a defensive forward and more experienced in the role. I'd prefer De Boer as a rookie than Barlow on the main list.

14 hours ago, rjay said:

I guess the successful team thing is all that he has over Grimes.

If we were looking to rookie him I would rather throw Jack a lifeline if no one else picks him up.

I hope Grimes gets a go somewhere, but there's no point having him back with us. Would be prolonging his pain more than a lifeline. Even if it's for a similar role I think we are better off with someone knew.

40 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I hope Grimes gets a go somewhere, but there's no point having him back with us. Would be prolonging his pain more than a lifeline. Even if it's for a similar role I think we are better off with someone knew.

Yep, agree. More that I don't see the point in De Boer if we are letting Grimes go.

Given it's a Hagdorn rumour probably nothing to it.

On 15/11/2016 at 10:32 PM, DeeSpencer said:

PRO's:

CON's:

ANB, Bugg, Vanders, Harmes, JKH, Kennedy, Joel Smith, Wagner, probably McKenna maybe Maynard, there's more than a few youngish guys who aren't best  22 but are very good VFL players with mature bodies

Given the changing landscape of AFL football, I'd say that there's a very good chance that most of the players you've mentioned here will play senior football next year.

2 hours ago, Dante said:

Given the changing landscape of AFL football, I'd say that there's a very good chance that most of the players you've mentioned here will play senior football next year.

I'd like to see all of those guys get a chance but if we are playing more than 5 or so of them at once we are looking at a fair few injuries. The question of how much depth we need and cost-benefit of someone like De Boer to play at Casey and make them stronger is a difficult balancing act I think. 

It's similar to the debate that's currently been held in criciket about shield cricket and 2nd XI state cricket and whether youngsters need more opportunities or less opportunities with a higher standard of play.