Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

A Day at the Races

Toorak

2 minutes ago, Macca said:

I'd prefer to talk about the thoroughbreds only as I don't just see it as a betting sport only.  Especially during the carnivals I'd prefer to only read about what's going on with the races.

I reckon we could have 2 threads - general sports betting (needs a name) & a thread for thoroughbred horse racing only (needs a name)

7 minutes ago, binman said:

Agree on name change of thread. A few years back i started a punting thread but got no traction so haven't bothered. I saw this one and assumed it was out of date.

I love the horses but largely focus on the Autumn and Spring Carnivals. I also like footy betting, the line mainly. 

Autumn carnival is my favourite carnival. It stretches from aprox next weekend through to Easter, with ours first and then Sydney (and obviously their Autumn carnival is much better than their short Spring Carnival) whereas over Spring they overlap meaning big outlays.

Also i find the form is more reliable over Autumn. In Melbourne there are smaller fields than Spring but importantly the form lines are much more reliable and easier to line up, with many horses coming through the same races. Also the consistently firm tracks help and some horses just like this time of year more. In Sydney the wet tracks make picking winners easier as it they knock out half the field.  The Spring carnival is a lottery. 

The odds on futures are tempting but realistically they are always super weighted in the bookies favour given how many horses don't get to their GF. I only ever take them a week or so out, and even then not very often. Actually the only race i really look at for futures is the Blue Diamond. I liked the fight Long leaf has been showing but Olivander also appeals with how it has been running on. 

Welcome aboard Binman. The more the merrier! Look forward to reading your insights as well as the other guys.

Ok Macca, perhaps we should just stick to racing then. I doubt there will be mush interest in an other sports punting thread, so im happy just to keep things as they are for now.

Lets just change this thread title then. Binman do you know how to do that??

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Welcome aboard Binman. The more the merrier! Look forward to reading your insights as well as the other guys.

Ok Macca, perhaps we should just stick to racing then. I doubt there will be mush interest in an other sports punting thread, so im happy just to keep things as they are for now.

Lets just change this thread title then. Binman do you know how to do that??

We can still start a new thread Wadda ...

What about ... 'The Horse Racing Thread' or 'All Things Horse Racing'

For general sports betting ... 'The Sports Betting Thread'

There is nothing wrong with having separate threads ... we do it here with entertainment (Music x 2,  Television,  Movies) and a stack of different sports have their own thread (NFL,  MLB,  NBA,  NHL,  Cricket,  Cycling etc etc)

The Thoroughbreds deserves it's own thread!

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Macca said:

There is nothing wrong with having separate threads ... we do it here with entertainment (Music x 2,  Television,  Movies) and a stack of different sports have their own thread (NFL,  MLB,  NBA,  NHL,  Cricket,  Cycling etc etc)

Happy to have horse racing only thread. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Macca said:

I guess The Horse Racing Thread is the one then, as horse racing inevitably includes punting. So im happy with that then.

• Like 2

What can be an issue if we're not specific is that people can start talking about other stuff that doesn't appeal. 

Personally I would scroll straight past any chatter about Greyhound racing,  fantasy sports of any description,  betting against the Demons etc etc.  Leave me right out of that stuff. 

After reading what @binman had to say above we definitely need a new thread ... the name of this one leads to people just ignoring because they probably see it as irrelevant.

So @Wadda We Sing ... you kick it off mate if everyone agrees.  We just need a name - I've suggested my 2 ('The Horse Racing Thread' or 'All Things Horse Racing') but I'm not completely sold on either. 

'A Day at the Races'  ... 'Lose Your Shirt' ... 'It's a Mug's Game'  ha ha

• Like 2

A Day at the Races is perfect. Brilliant. Done.

I agree with you re other sports and reading to much stuff, its tedious. I was more thinking along the lines of what you said about attracting more punters. But Binman has now proved your point.

• Like 2

The bloke that part owns Dan also has a small percentage in a horse called Santos trained by the Waterhouse/Bott stable.

It's getting ready for the Autumn carnival and could be one to follow. It's shown ability in his two starts but did suffer a leg injury in his second start. All is well with the horse now and it's $51 currently for the Golden Slipper.

Here is Santos in a trial on the 12th of Jan.

http://racing.racingnsw.com.au/FreeFields/VideoResult.aspx?MeetDate=2018Jan12&VenueCode=MjY4MTI4&RaceNumber=10&MeetingCategory=Trial&VideoFileType=FullReplay

Edited by Demon77
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Demon77 said:

The bloke that part owns Dan also has a small percentage in a horse called Santos trained by the Waterhouse/Bott stable.

It's getting ready for the Autumn carnival and could be one to follow. It's shown ability in his two starts but did suffer a leg injury in his second start. All is well with the horse now and it's $51 currently for the Golden Slipper.

http://racing.racingnsw.com.au/FreeFields/VideoResult.aspx?MeetDate=2018Jan12&VenueCode=MjY4MTI4&RaceNumber=10&MeetingCategory=Trial&VideoFileType=FullReplay

I remember you mentioning Santos D77. He looks a likely type. Its good to be able to follow a horse where we have some connection to the stable and possibly some heads up info. With Dan on the sidelines, maybe Santos can be our new horse.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Demon77 said:

I really like Waterhouse trained horses in Sydney, but more so 1400 meters and above. I love that they are mostly front runners as you always get a good sight and there is no doubt that taken in totality horses that race on speed win more races.

I hate backing a horse that gets caught in traffic or cop interference, which is obviously more of a risk for back markers. Front runners also even out the skill difference in jockeys (because jockeys at the front just have to focus on tempo, not weaving through traffic or timing their run), allow a jockey to control race temp and crucially in Spring ensure they are better placed on those days where there is a leaders bias (which seems to be happening more often). 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

A Day at the Races is perfect. Brilliant. Done.

I agree with you re other sports and reading to much stuff, its tedious. I was more thinking along the lines of what you said about attracting more punters. But Binman has now proved your point.

People will know what it means and it's a bit different ... I'll vote for it but the majority rules.

19 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

I PMd the OP requesting the thread title be changed. If i dont hear back from them within the week, ill start a new one.

Good idea Wadda ... there's no rush.

And in the meantime we can absolutely decide on a name for the horse racing thread. 

A general sports betting thread is a good idea as well - I'd contribute my 2 cents worth with regards to the NBA or the NFL.

You've got my vote to start up both threads (unless we can change the name of this thread)

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Macca said:

People will know what it means and it's a bit different (and I like different) ... I'll vote for it but the majority rules.

Good idea Wadda ... there's no rush.

And in the meantime we can absolutely decide on a name for the horse racing thread. 

A general sports betting thread is a good idea as well - I'd contribute my 2 cents worth with regards to the NBA or the NFL.

You've got my vote to start up both threads (unless we can change the name of this thread)

Yes, thats it Macca, theres no rush. Lets get it right. I kinda like the idea of retaining this thread as there is some really good info to refer back to, such as your trifecta combinations etc. as well as some excellent videos. (others will now read these as well).

I kinda like a Day at the Races, as it has a slightly iconic feel to it, as well as a bit comical. It also says exactly what we are talking about. A day at the races.

A general sports betting thread is fine with me. Im also thinking about a footy punting thread to go onto the Footy club site. It may stop all the annoying posts in the post match about betting against the Dees. If people dont want to read about punting, then they just stay away from the thread.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Yes, thats it Macca, theres no rush. Lets get it right. I kinda like the idea of retaining this thread as there is some really good info to refer back to, such as your trifecta combinations etc. as well as some excellent videos. (others will now read these as well).

I kinda like a Day at the Races, as it has a slightly iconic feel to it, as well as a bit comical. It also says exactly what we are talking about. A day at the races.

A general sports betting thread is fine with me. Im also thinking about a footy punting thread to go onto the Footy club site. It may stop all the annoying posts in the post match about betting against the Dees. If people dont want to read about punting, then they just stay away from the thread.

'A Day at the Races'  has a friendly feel to it ... and it almost says to people to not take things too seriously.  Bet with expendable income only has always been my motto as well as always drink responsibly and try not to smoke.

We can have a lot of fun here and during our winter I fully intend to introduce (or reintroduce) people to the wonderful racing on offer in Europe.  There are often 2 or 3 Group 1 races every week where we see the best of the best (the creme de la creme!)  Hopefully the free-to-air racing channel covers these big events but there's always youtube (the big races from Europe are often posted up a few hours later)

So as the Autumn carnival finishes here we've got the choice of the Queensland & South Australian carnivals or the big races across Europe.  Which leads us into the Spring Carnival again and then Ascot/Magic Millions.  It never stops!

• Like 2

" A Day at the Races " gets my vote.

I am unsure where they will head with Santos during the Autumn.

The following link is his latest run.

A couple of points out of the race.

Keep your eye on the far left of screen       (widest barrier/yellow silks), begins awkwardly and is out wide albeit with cover. 

In the straight it looms as a winner but around the 200 metre mark is when the horse suffered the leg injury.

Connections were mostly pleased at how the horse managed to fight on to the finish after sustaining the injury.

http://racing.racingnsw.com.au/FreeFields/VideoResult.aspx?MeetDate=2017Oct14&VenueCode=MjY4MTI4&RaceNumber=2&MeetingCategory=Professional&VideoFileType=FullReplay

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Macca said:

'A Day at the Races'  has a friendly feel to it ... and it almost says to people to not take things too seriously.  Bet with expendable income only has always been my motto as well as always drink responsibly and try not to smoke.

We can have a lot of fun here and during our winter I fully intend to introduce (or reintroduce) people to the wonderful racing on offer in Europe.  There are often 2 or 3 Group 1 races every week where we see the best of the best (the creme de la creme!)  Hopefully the free-to-air racing channel covers these big events but there's always youtube (the big races from Europe are often posted up a few hours later)

So as the Autumn carnival finishes here we've got the choice of the Queensland & South Australian carnivals or the big races across Europe.  Which leads us into the Spring Carnival again and then Ascot/Magic Millions.  It never stops!

A Day at the Races it is then. Ive requested that title change to the OP. The others have indicated a like, so ill take that as a yes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Demon77 said:

" A Day at the Races " gets my vote.

I am unsure where they will head with Santos during the Autumn.

The following link is his latest run.

A couple of points out of the race.

Keep your eye on the far left of screen       (widest barrier/yellow silks), begins awkwardly and is out wide albeit with cover. 

In the straight it looms as a winner but around the 200 metre mark is when the horse suffered the leg injury.

Connections were mostly pleased at how the horse managed to fight on to the finish after sustaining the injury.

http://racing.racingnsw.com.au/FreeFields/VideoResult.aspx?MeetDate=2017Oct14&VenueCode=MjY4MTI4&RaceNumber=2&MeetingCategory=Professional&VideoFileType=FullReplay

Yeah, it was flying before the 200m mark. You can see it kept to the one pace after that. Hope hes ok, think it shows promise for sure D77.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

A Day at the Races it is then. Ive requested that title change to the OP. The others have indicated a like, so ill take that as a yes.

If you don't hear back from the OP you could ask the mods, Wadda. 

Anyway,  I'm off to get on at Sha Tin.  The Centenary Sprint Cup looks to be 'Mr Stunning's to lose.  Should win and the early markets reflect that. 

By contrast The Stewards Cup is a wide open affair where any number of horses can feature - should be a great race.  The prizemoney on offer in both races is huge. 

Hugh Bowman (who rode at Warwick Farm on Friday!) is on a Werther in the Stewards Cup (it is at good odds and a definite chance) whilst Nash Rawiller is on Mr Stunning.  Zac Purton & Brett Prebble are both riding today at HK as well.  The free-to-air racing channel is covering the event.

For me the Group 1 racing is like watching the big teams in world sport go at each other - but for high interest you've got to at least have a small wager on the Group 1's :ph34r:

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Macca said:

If you don't hear back from the OP you could ask the mods, Wadda. 

Anyway,  I'm off to get on at Sha Tin.  The Centenary Sprint Cup looks to be 'Mr Stunning's to lose.  Should win and the early markets reflect that. 

By contrast The Stewards Cup is a wide open affair where any number of horses can feature - should be a great race.  The prizemoney on offer in both races is huge. 

Hugh Bowman (who rode at Warwick Farm on Friday!) is on a Werther in the Stewards Cup (it is at good odds and a definite chance) whilst Nash Rawiller is on Mr Stunning.  Zac Purton & Brett Prebble are both riding today at HK as well.  The free-to-air racing channel is covering the event.

For me the Group 1 racing is like watching the big teams in world sport go at each other - but for high interest you've got to at least have a small wager on the Group 1's :ph34r:

Ok Macca, thanks......i will then.

I was just wondering about the prize pools. Even though theyre big races in Japan (and also Europe later) what are the pools like? Is there much interest here?

I just noticed Bowmans been suspended in NZ, so will not ride Winx in the Apollo Stakes.....interesting.

Edited by Wadda We Sing
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Ok Macca, thanks......i will then.

I was just wondering about the prize pools. Even though theyre big races in Japan (and also Europe later) what are the pools like? Is there much interest here?

I just noticed Bowmans been suspended in NZ, so will not ride Winx in the Apollo Stakes.....interesting.

Well ... it's a strange thing about the smaller pools (as long as they're not too small) - sometimes the exotic dividends are higher than you'd calculate.  Certain horses that are decent can be passed over in smaller pools. 

Especially in the group races overseas there are some very good horses that blow out in the odds (W & P) so those same horses may also often not get included in the exotics.  By the same token the popular combo's can pay a bit less (because most are on them?)

I obviously bank on best case scenario with my multiples whilst at the same time not ignoring the popular combo's - that largely explains why I often just get money back or a bit more or less. 

There's a bit of money wagered at Sha Tin as a general rule - the money comes late though.  Not sure on Europe as I have historically only ever had the odd bet there (that may change this year :ph34r:)  I only ever bet at the TAB and they don't often cover the races from Japan.  We've got the triple crown from the States to consider as well - I love those 3 races.

• Like 2

If the " A Day at the Races" kicks off and we add some more members contributing maybe we can start some kind of tipping competition.

Whilst browsing the NFL thread Macca I noticed you ran a competition between a few of you. 

The Idea  consists of a 3-2-1 points system where the members can nominate a meeting during a Carnival. 

For example, let's nominate Blue Diamond day. We all select a horse for each race on the day and selections must be posted prior to the first race. If time doesn't allow for people to browse all races maybe we can select the quaddie legs for the competition.

Win a race and you receive 3 points, 2 for second and 1 for third. We could double the points for the main race of the day.

This doesn't have to be for financial purposes just some "In House" fun. The winner on the day can have bragging rights and decide on a change of avatar of the last placegetter or something along those lines.

I know there's a bit going on currently with the name changing of the thread and putting the word out to other horse racing enthusiasts but maybe something to keep in mind.

Thoughts?

Edited by Demon77
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Demon77 said:

If the " A Day at the Races" kicks off and we add some more members contributing maybe we can start some kind of tipping competition.

Whilst browsing the NFL thread Macca I noticed you ran a competition between a few of you. 

My idea consists of a 3-2-1 points system where the members can nominate a meeting during a Carnival. 

For example, let's nominate Blue Diamond day. We all select a horse for each race on the day and selections must be posted prior to the first race. If time doesn't allow for people to browse all races maybe we can select the quaddie legs for the competition.

Win a race and you receive 3 points, 2 for second and 1 for third. We could double the points for the main race of the day.

This doesn't have to be for financial purposes just some "In House" fun. The winner on the day can have bragging rights and decide on a change of avatar of the last placegetter or something along those lines.

I know there's a bit going on currently with the name changing of the thread and putting the word out to other horse racing enthusiasts but maybe something to keep in mind.

Thoughts?

Yeah, could be an idea i guess. Personally i like the idea of winning real money tho, kinda gets me more inspired. Maybe an actual punters club where we pick a quaddie and put it on, say 10 bucks each or something? Ive done it with mates in the past and have got some decent returns.

What race kicks off the carnival? Is it the CF Orr Stakes? Thats in 2 weeks at Caulfield, so not long now!

Also can anyone think of a reason why Winx is nominated for The Everest? Its a sprint isnt it?? Currently 16/1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demon77 said:

My idea consists of a 3-2-1 points system where the members can nominate a meeting during a Carnival. 

Thoughts?

Great idea D77 - I'm all in.  The tipping comp in the NFL thread does help maintain interest (and that was the original purpose)  It does work. 

We could also just simply use our 'Best Bet' as our pick in the tipping comp - serves 2 purposes that way.  3-2-1 as you indicated but what happens if we nominate our best bet for the place only? (which I might be apt to do) To avoid any sorts of issues,  the tip (in a tipping comp) should have to be for the win.

The key to a tipping comp is to keep it as simple as possible - you don't ever want to be spending too much time deciphering too much information.

Btw,  my reckoning on a place bet is that I have to genuinely believe that the horse can win as well.  'Werther' in today's Stewards Cup at Sha Tin is a case in point. 

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Yeah, could be an idea i guess. Personally i like the idea of winning real money tho, kinda gets me more inspired. Maybe an actual punters club where we pick a quaddie and put it on, say 10 bucks each or something? Ive done it with mates in the past and have got some decent returns.

What race kicks off the carnival? Is it the CF Orr Stakes? Thats in 2 weeks at Caulfield, so not long now!

Also can anyone think of a reason why Winx is nominated for The Everest? Its a sprint isnt it?? Currently 16/1

Winx is possibly more of a mile horse at it's optimum best these days Wadda - of course,  it often brains them at 2000m but perhaps not always as convincingly as it once did (it just lasted in last year's Cox Plate)

The connections of Winx have earmarked 3 races in Europe which it may contest (if it goes over there) - 2 are over the 1600m & only 1 is over the 2000m.  Think I'm right in saying that Makybe Diva nearly won an Orr Stakes (1400m) yet we all know how good the horse was as a stayer.

The great 1600m horses can also be great at 1400m ... but all the way down to 1200m?  Maybe.  But we are talking about Winx and the Everest will carry prizemoney of $12Million this year (man, that's a lot of money)  Manikato was a great mile horse but would often drop down to 1200m and win.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Macca said:

Winx is possibly more of a mile horse at it's optimum best these days Wadda - of course,  it often brains them at 2000m but perhaps not always as convincingly as it once did (it just lasted in last year's Cox Plate)

The connections of Winx have earmarked 3 races in Europe which it may contest (if it goes over there) - 2 are over the 1600m & only 1 is over the 2000m.  Think I'm right in saying that Makybe Diva nearly won an Orr Stakes (1400m) yet we all know how good the horse was as a stayer.

The great 1600m horses can also be great at 1400m ... but all the way down to 1200m?  Maybe.  But we are talking about Winx and the Everest will carry prizemoney of $12Million this year (man, that's a lot of money)  Manikato could drop down to 1200m and win.

Do you think we will see another horse in our lifetime win the Melbourne Cup 3 years running? 

I was a massive fan of Vinnie Roe, he was a quality stayer but he just couldn't topple the great mare.

I attended the 2004 Melb Cup, the downpour fazed no one that day, that great race will be a long lasting memory.

• Like 2