Delistings

junk

8 minutes ago, Hell Bent said:

Hard to believe 2 of these blokes were top four in the Bluey and 1 was skipper just 3 years ago.

The top 10 is simply horrific reading when you think about it bar 2 players..........brace yourselves

2013 Melbourne best and fairest results

Winner: Keith ‘Bluey’ Truscott Memorial Trophy – Nathan Jones 

Second: Sid Anderson Memorial Trophy – Colin Garland 

Third: Ron Barassi Snr Memorial Trophy – Dean Terlich

Fourth: Ivor Warne-Smith Memorial Trophy – Matt Jones 

Fifth: Dick Taylor Memorial Trophy – Colin Sylvia 

Sixth: Lynden Dunn

Seventh: James Frawley .

Eighth: Jack Trengove 

Ninth: Jeremy Howe   

Tenth: Tom McDonald 

The reason they were on that list and one was captain, was they went out and gave everything they could during a very dark period for the club, which they should be thanked for, but if you feel the need to blow raspberries who am I to stop you

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Not blaming Goody, but pity if you wanted to hear something about our club.

Fair enough though, its grand final week. SEN listeners don't want an indepth discussion about Melbournes list. Can do that next week. Robbo asked about Collingwoods list last night on afl 360 to buckley and i had to turn it off. Wrong time and place

Edited by DominatrixTyson
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

The reason they were on that list and one was captain, was they went out and gave everything they could during a very dark period for the club, which they should be thanked for, but if you feel the need to blow raspberries who am I to stop you

I agree with you Saty they did give their all and should be thanked.

What that list shows is how bad our list was in 2013.

2 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Grateful for everyone who dons the red n blue Saty ( I wished all 3 delistees well in an earlier post), it was more an indictment on the club and how poor we have been and not all that long ago. Its a little harder for you to accept because you are/were close to them. 

5 minutes ago, Hell Bent said:

Grateful for everyone who dons the red n blue Saty ( I wished all 3 delistees well in an earlier post), it was more an indictment on the club and how poor we have been and not all that long ago. Its a little harder for you to accept because you are/were close to them. 

Yes, but it is the past, I get bored with MFC supporters continually looking over their shoulders, hopefully we have moved on.

It a new season, these are the first 3 guys who have had to make way as we try and move forward again, like we have moved slowly forward since 2013.

I am looking forward to the new season, even upgraded my membership, but think the guys deserve to be thanked in a thread like this, with a minimum of negativity, we all know why they were delisted

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, old dee said:

I agree with you Saty they did give their all and should be thanked.

What that list shows is how bad our list was in 2013.

I don't think the B&F list of 2013 reflects that at all. You have to understand that the game has evolved. What the likes of Garland, Terlich and M.Jones offered in 2013 was perfectly acceptable at the time, but doesn't cut it now. The other 7 on the list all had talent. Some have taken their talent elsewhere, some are still playing well and some didn't live up to expectations.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Yes, but it is the past, I get bored with MFC supporters continually looking over their shoulders, hopefully we have moved on.

It a new season, these are the first 3 guys who have had to make way as we try and move forward again, like we have moved slowly forward since 2013.

I am looking forward to the new season, even upgraded my membership, but think the guys deserve to be thanked in a thread like this, with a minimum of negativity, we all know why they were delisted

For one of the few times, I agree with you Saty. It's a common trait amongst Demonlanders to think that everything will be rosy because we moved on certain players. They applauded when Neeld conducted a clean out, then 3 years later applauded Roos when he conducted a clean out.

Unless the players that are replacing them can reach a superior level, save your applause, and appreaciate the efforts of the players delisted.

• Like 1

Yes this proves there is no loyalty or justice. I thought Jack Grimes may have been given one more year or be given a chance to be traded away for a late draft choice.

It is sad to see him delisted after such a promising start to his career. His disposal was just lacking and not up to the faster pace that is required in todays AFL.

3 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Yes this proves there is no loyalty or justice. I thought Jack Grimes may have been given one more year or be given a chance to be traded away for a late draft choice.

It is sad to see him delisted after such a promising start to his career. His disposal was just lacking and not up to the faster pace that is required in todays AFL.

Really?  It's always sad to see certain players go, but you have to make spots on your list each year.  Every club makes delistings, it's not something new or foreign.  It has nothing to do with loyalty or justice.

I always find it funny with the delistings etc, bumped into both Roh Bail and James Strauss this year, both happy in their lives without footy

And then there is Cam Johnston a rookie from a few years ago, had quite a few chats to him, follow him on Twitter, now punter with Ohio State, playing regularly in front of 50000 each weekend

I think justice is served most times

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hell Bent said:

Hard to believe 2 of these blokes were top four in the Bluey and 1 was skipper just 3 years ago.

The top 10 is simply horrific reading when you think about it bar 2 players..........brace yourselves

2013 Melbourne best and fairest results

Winner: Keith ‘Bluey’ Truscott Memorial Trophy – Nathan Jones 

Second: Sid Anderson Memorial Trophy – Colin Garland 

Third: Ron Barassi Snr Memorial Trophy – Dean Terlich

Fourth: Ivor Warne-Smith Memorial Trophy – Matt Jones 

Fifth: Dick Taylor Memorial Trophy – Colin Sylvia 

Sixth: Lynden Dunn

Seventh: James Frawley .

Eighth: Jack Trengove 

Ninth: Jeremy Howe   

Tenth: Tom McDonald 

And still some claim that it wasn't the list.

It might not have been all about the list, but it had a great deal to do with it.  VFL quality.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Stretch Johnson said:

And still some claim that it wasn't the list.

It might not have been all about the list, but it had a great deal to do with it.  VFL quality.

It's really an indictment on our poor recruiting and player development going back for a decade before that season.

My big disappointment is for Jack Grimes who was a great servant for the club in difficult times. I know there's no sentiment in football these days but the club must have known that his days were numbered and yet they chose not to give him a farewell game in Round 23 when our young side had hit the wall. You can't tell me that we would have done any worse that day with Grimes, Dunn, Garland and Terlich in the 22 that day.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Spirit of the Demon said:

It's really an indictment on our poor recruiting and player development going back for a decade before that season.

My big disappointment is for Jack Grimes who was a great servant for the club in difficult times. I know there's no sentiment in football these days but the club must have known that his days were numbered and yet they chose not to give him a farewell game in Round 23 when our young side had hit the wall. You can't tell me that we would have done any worse that day with Grimes, Dunn, Garland and Terlich in the 22 that day.

Farewelled in front of 100 Melbourne supporters in a 100 point loss. No thanks. His farewell game was the VFL grand final. 

Farewell games only really make sense for club champions retiring who can be rushed back in from injury to play one last game. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jumbo returns said:

ANB needs a run of games and assurance he'll get a good run at it.

In one game, out for 11, in for another one, out again....never going to work for him.

I think they were just trying to give him a taste, to see where he was up to ?& how he coped.  Hoping he may do an 'Oliver'. He wasn't ready.

He needs to build his tank further & his tenacity, etc, as he doesn't possess major weapons.  So his style will be built up, like Mitchells was with the Swans?

12 hours ago, AzzKikA said:

But you cannot afford to keep underachieving midfielders in teams, they do more harm than good.  Maybe get away with it in the forward pocket but you cant play him there as I believe it is not his natural position.

I know what you are saying but it's like the 1 more preseason argument, how long do you leave him in the team in hope that he will find form?

IMO nibblers improvements will come from his work off the playing field, in the Gym & on the roads.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hell Bent said:

Yeah I feel for Jack, surprised they didn't even attempt a trade. A sad end to his career with us.

I guess it shows you what his currency is out there in the marketplace. Hope someone else gives you a shot!

All the best to all 3

They probably helped him earn another spot, by making him more available & early on.  He is affordable to others to take the chance.

17 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Enlighten me then, as your post didn't make a lick of sense.

That the players accidentally switched off at half time break, as if they got tired, suggests distraction away from the cause, which can only happen earlier in the week.   Unless they were just physically gone, which I don't believe, as we went so hard in the first half.  The lack of stopping, shutting them down, & tempo footy, suggests they're minds drifted off.  With the minds goes the intensity.

So the build up thru the week has a big psychological bearing on the prep' for the game, the subconscious attitude leading in.

6 minutes ago, DV8 said:

They probably helped him earn another spot, by making him more available & early on.  He is affordable to others to take the chance.

As a free agent I thought the club wouldn't delist him but let him move on to another club as he wished. It seems the club has judged that there are no suiters and have moved early. Am I reading that right? Otherwise poor form by us. 

18 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

As a free agent I thought the club wouldn't delist him but let him move on to another club as he wished. It seems the club has judged that there are no suiters and have moved early. Am I reading that right? Otherwise poor form by us. 

The mfc release said the 3 players will not be offered a contract.  

Trades can still happen eg Fitzy last year, for a nominal pick.  Clubs can also take Jack as an FA for free.  Not sure if we get an AFL allocated comp pick...I doubt it.

Their delisting will only happen if neither of those things occur.  Even then they can get to anorher club as DFA, as we did with Newton.  

It is now up to their managers to find them a new hope.

By telling the players today they have the maximum amount of time to gond a new club.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Earl Hood said:

I don't think we would do that to him.  I suspect they haven't had any offers he likes, so have made it easier all round for a team to take when they want to, as needs be.  

Even if rookied.  So then he may be able to make some sort of deal with a club, if there is interest.

Admitted I haven't tried to understand this free agency, much at all.  Laws & rules offend me.

1 hour ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I always maintain that Grimes wasn't the same after breaking his collarbone, he never regained all the muscle he lost.

I completely forgot about that. He did come back looking sickly skinny and was definitely bigger beforehand.