Jump to content

Spencer Signs On to 2017


Demon Jack

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, McQueen said:

Under some decent tutelage for once, Gawn has improved out of sight so I'm hoping/trusting that the likes of Stafford and Macca can do similar with Spencer. He played a strong game against the Cats last year in our win at KP and he's got the mongrel to go with the team ethos.

I reckon Max would be over the moon with this news and he'd be hoping Spencer can begin to really impact consistently so the poor bastard can get a decent chop-out for once.

Tongue was firmly in cheek, I've got no issue with retaining Spencer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, McQueen said:

Under some decent tutelage for once, Gawn has improved out of site so I'm hoping/trusting that the likes of Stafford and Macca can do similar with Spencer. He played a strong game against the Cats last year in our win at KP and he's got the mongrel to go with the team ethos.

I reckon Max would be over the moon with this news and he'd be hoping Spencer can begin to really impact consistently so the poor bastard can get a decent chop-out for once.

Max would be loving the fact he's got the same bloke to pants at training every week. 

So much of Gawn's improvement came from getting his body strong and confident. Spencer has the strength, but probably not the confidence. I hope he can develop it with a good run of footy, even if I don't expect much. Spence really has had a rough run with his body but he's getting to the stage where I'm not sure he's ever going to get through a preseason without something going wrong.

I'd love to be playing 2 rucks regularly but I can't see Spencer and Gawn ever been anything more than needed in case of emergency. Not unless Spencer improves so much in the ruck that he's worth playing >50% in the ruck, as he'll always be below average forward. Gawn is probably only just average forward, and better sneaking forward from the ruck than starting there.

The King's are the great hope for Gawny. Mitch is a long way off. Max is a chance but needs to get physical in the ruck and be way more consistent forward for Casey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Max would be loving the fact he's got the same bloke to pants at training every week. 

So much of Gawn's improvement came from getting his body strong and confident. Spencer has the strength, but probably not the confidence. I hope he can develop it with a good run of footy, even if I don't expect much. Spence really has had a rough run with his body but he's getting to the stage where I'm not sure he's ever going to get through a preseason without something going wrong.

I'd love to be playing 2 rucks regularly but I can't see Spencer and Gawn ever been anything more than needed in case of emergency. Not unless Spencer improves so much in the ruck that he's worth playing >50% in the ruck, as he'll always be below average forward. Gawn is probably only just average forward, and better sneaking forward from the ruck than starting there.

The King's are the great hope for Gawny. Mitch is a long way off. Max is a chance but needs to get physical in the ruck and be way more consistent forward for Casey.

I'm not as concerned about the forward ability of Spencer but more so the rucking advantage that we need to maintain for our much improved clearance brigade. The big body of Spencer is a much better hope than the King boys at this stage.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, McQueen said:

I'm not as concerned about the forward ability of Spencer but more so the rucking advantage that we need to maintain for our much improved clearance brigade. The big body of Spencer is a much better hope than the King boys at this stage.

 

Good back up first ruck option but to get into the seniors he has to start marking the ball around the ground and getting involved at stoppages.

I don't think it's out of the question he can do this.  Not many recognize how quick he is and he likes the physical stuff.  His kicking looks awful but it's actually quite reliable now.  One of our biggest issues as a team is no effective second ruckman.  We lose so much when Max is out of the ruck and I think if Spence can stay involved around the ground they could play together.  It would allow Gawn to play forward more where he is a genuine threat and it would mean we are genuinely competitive in the ruck especially when Spence is rucking against the oppositions second ruck. It might help Gawn to stay fresh and help his career in a number of ways.

TBH I can't see it happening but there is a chance.  Spence is a lot better than many give him credit for and having him with the club is a big positive.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Good back up first ruck option but to get into the seniors he has to start marking the ball around the ground and getting involved at stoppages.

I don't think it's out of the question he can do this.  Not many recognize how quick he is and he likes the physical stuff.  His kicking looks awful but it's actually quite reliable now.  One of our biggest issues as a team is no effective second ruckman.  We lose so much when Max is out of the ruck and I think if Spence can stay involved around the ground they could play together.  It would allow Gawn to play forward more where he is a genuine threat and it would mean we are genuinely competitive in the ruck especially when Spence is rucking against the oppositions second ruck. It might help Gawn to stay fresh and help his career in a number of ways.

TBH I can't see it happening but there is a chance.  Spence is a lot better than many give him credit for and having him with the club is a big positive.

Agree.  I think Pedersen has him covered overall at present because he has those around the ground assets, but "Betty" must be a better option than say Frost in this role.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

 

Max King needs to pull his finger out, although he will always be more of a forward than a ruck IMO. Mitch King is injured and will take a few more years at least.

 

So........ a 20 year old 202cm ruckman forward needs to pull his finger out ? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, nutbean said:

So........ a 20 year old 202cm ruckman forward needs to pull his finger out ? 

Yes. He's a forward/ruck not a pure ruck. 3rd year on the list. Hasn't developed his body to the standard. Can't regularly impact VFL games up forward the way Hulett and Weideman can in year 1. If he could halve a few more contests in the ruck and get involved more as a forward he'd be doing very well.

I'm not saying he should be playing regular senior football, but for his own sake Max needs to start playing consistently well at VFL level. His VFL reviews - whilst often positive - certainly hint at that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, DavidNeitz9 said:

Next season is Spencer's 10th at Melbourne and he's only played 36 games, no way should he have been given more than a year extension

He is not an AFL footballer, or rather, he shouldn't be. The only reason he is is because besides Gawn, we have no other viable options as cover atm.

We seriously need another decent ruck brought on to the list, or time to develop one. That's Spencer's only saving grace. But whilst still on the list, i will continue to support him.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

I don't think it's out of the question that Gawn and Spencer play together sometime this year.  I'm on record saying this is not on, but if Pedersen is missing ...

 

We beat Geelong last year doing it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Max would be loving the fact he's got the same bloke to pants at training every week. 

So much of Gawn's improvement came from getting his body strong and confident. Spencer has the strength, but probably not the confidence. I hope he can develop it with a good run of footy, even if I don't expect much. Spence really has had a rough run with his body but he's getting to the stage where I'm not sure he's ever going to get through a preseason without something going wrong.

I'd love to be playing 2 rucks regularly but I can't see Spencer and Gawn ever been anything more than needed in case of emergency. Not unless Spencer improves so much in the ruck that he's worth playing >50% in the ruck, as he'll always be below average forward. Gawn is probably only just average forward, and better sneaking forward from the ruck than starting there.

The King's are the great hope for Gawny. Mitch is a long way off. Max is a chance but needs to get physical in the ruck and be way more consistent forward for Casey.

 

14 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Yes. He's a forward/ruck not a pure ruck. 3rd year on the list. Hasn't developed his body to the standard. Can't regularly impact VFL games up forward the way Hulett and Weideman can in year 1. If he could halve a few more contests in the ruck and get involved more as a forward he'd be doing very well.

I'm not saying he should be playing regular senior football, but for his own sake Max needs to start playing consistently well at VFL level. His VFL reviews - whilst often positive - certainly hint at that.

 

Short memory?

You do realise Gawn wasn't tracking as well as Max King at the same age..?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was waiting for the "he is a dud" brigade to come rushing out....but I can only see three totally negative and a couple of ambivalent posts.

To me he is a must, at least until the Kings, or one of them, get up to pace.

Well done Spencil.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

 

We beat Geelong last year doing it.

and that makes a grand total of one....

Now Spencer may become a late bloomer ( very very late) but to date, he doesn't take enough marks, he doesn't kick enough goals, he doesn't impact enough contests - what he does ok is contest in the ruck.

At this stage I think a Gawn/Pedersen combo offers much more than Gawn/Spencer. 

As others have said , he is purely insurance.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

 

 

Short memory?

You do realise Gawn wasn't tracking as well as Max King at the same age..?

I meant a chance to play a few games here and there if he improved. In terms of being a regular in the 22 he's a fair way off. As the only appropriately sized forward/ruck on the list it's possible for Max King to be both close to a game and close to delisting at the same time.

Despite missing most of his first year recovering from an ACL Gawny played 4 games in his second year - and in a pretty decent (if up and down) side. Missed his entire 3rd year with another ACL but in his 4th year played 13 games. I'm not sure how that equates to tracking the same way as Max King who is yet to debut in his 3rd year 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

We should have waited till the end of the year IMO. This will look like a dud decision if he does his knee again.

Analysis lacking imagination.

Spencer's manager: "Jake is UFA this year and I've had some inquiries.  He really wants to stay the course with the Demons."

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

Analysis lacking imagination.

Spencer's manager: "Jake is UFA this year and I've had some inquiries.  He really wants to stay the course with the Demons."

Tigers and Dimma would be pulling their hair out at this very moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Fifty-5 said:

Analysis lacking imagination.

Spencer's manager: "Jake is UFA this year and I've had some inquiries.  He really wants to stay the course with the Demons."

I understand Spencer is a free agent, but so what if he walked?  He is an ordinary player who is replaceable. We should have waited until the end of the year rather than run the risk that he wouldn't get injured.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

Analysis lacking imagination.

Spencer's manager: "Jake is UFA this year and I've had some inquiries.  He really wants to stay the course with the Demons."

We've only offered him a 1 year deal. Doesn't sound like the inquiries from other clubs would have set him up for life. If Mitch King didn't do his knee, Spencer may have been let go.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mo64 said:

We've only offered him a 1 year deal. Doesn't sound like the inquiries from other clubs would have set him up for life. If Mitch King didn't do his knee, Spencer may have been let go.

 

 

Maybe (Re: King). But we've secured insurance. One year makes complete sense for a ready-made back-up.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, H_T said:

Tigers and Dimma would be pulling their hair out at this very moment.

If the Tigers want him we can now trade him.  As an UFA we couldn't.  We've got all the options now but I reckon Jake is backing himself to make it.

Gotta love the man.  He's a ripper.

Edited by Baghdad Bob
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Baghdad Bob said:

If the Tigers want him we can now trade him.  As an UFA we couldn't.  We've got all the options now but I reckon Jake is backing himself to make it.

Gotta love the man.  He's a ripper.

Yes. Absolutely backing himself to make it. To be able to train as an understudy to Max, play when Max needs a rest in a developing side on the rise - I just couldn't think of anywhere else I'd be right now. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

Agree.  I think Pedersen has him covered overall at present because he has those around the ground assets, but "Betty" must be a better option than say Frost in this role.

I agree Pedo's got him covered in some areas but Jake has him covered in others.  Pedo can't get taller and ever ruck as well as Jake but Jake has a chance to improve in the areas Pedo is good at.

Jake is quicker, he's got more aggression, he can ruck better and he can get involved around the ground as well as Pedo.  He can't take a mark like Pedo and he can't kick as well.

But it's not as clear cut as many think. Jake needs to take marks forward and demand an opposition tall.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    PREGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demons return to the MCG to take on the Saints in Round 11 on the back of two straight losses in a row. With Jake Lever out with concussion who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 27

    VOTES: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 31

    POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Many warned that this was a danger game and the Demons were totally outclassed all game by a young Eagles team at Optus Stadium in Perth as they were defeated by 35 points.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 278

    GAMEDAY: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    It's Game Day and the Demons have returned to the site of their drought breaking Premiership to take on the West Coast Eagles in what could very well be a danger game for Narrm at Optus Stadium. A win and a percentage boost will keep the Dees in top four contention whilst a loss will cast doubt on the Dees flag credentials and bring them back to the pack fighting for a spot in the 8 as we fast approach the halfway point of the season.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 884

    WARNING by William from Waalitj

    As a long term resident of Waalitj Marawar, I am moved to warn my fellow Narrm fans that a  danger game awaits. The locals are no longer the easybeats who stumbled, fumbled and bumbled their way to the good fortune of gathering the number one draft pick and a generational player in Harley Reid last year. They are definitely better than they were then.   Young Harley has already proven his worth with some stellar performances for a first year kid playing among men. He’s taken hangers, k

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 22

    OVER YET? by KC from Casey

    The Friday evening rush hour clash of two of the VFL’s 2024 minnows, Carlton and the Casey Demons was excruciatingly painful to watch, even if it was for the most part a close encounter. I suppose that since the game had to produce a result (a tie would have done the game some justice), the four points that went to Casey with the win, were fully justified because they went to the best team. In that respect, my opinion is based on the fact that the Blues were a lopsided combination that had

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    CENTIMETRES by Whispering Jack

    Our game is one where the result is often decided by centimetres; the touch of a fingernail, a split-second decision made by a player or official, the angle of vision or the random movement of an oblong ball in flight or in its bounce and trajectory. There is one habit that Melbourne seems to have developed of late in its games against Carlton which is that the Demons keep finding themselves on the wrong end of the stick in terms of the fine line in close games at times when centimetres mak

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PREGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    The Demons have a 10 day break before they head on the road to Perth to take on the West Coast Eagles at Optus Stadium on Sunday. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 527

    PODCAST: Rd 09 vs Carlton

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Sunday, 12th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons loss at the MCG against the Blues in the Round 09. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE:

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 30
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...