Jump to content
  • Demonland Interviews

WA Demon13

Josh Jenkins

Recommended Posts

Agreed, it all a ruse to get the price up and add a year.  If he's asking for four and they're offering 2... it'll be three.

If they're offering 300,000 and he's asking for 500,000, surprise, surprise!

 

Happens every year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ProDee said:

I'm underwhelmed.

Granted he's a handy player, but despite his size he's a third stringer.  He benefits from the heat going on to Walker and Betts, plus they have the handy link player Lynch.

Yup. This is what makes Hogan so important. He's a power forward that makes other forwards around him better. A Jenkins/Gawn tandem would be pretty great, but I feel like Hogan with Watts and Weed there, and Gawn chipping in, they can create a home grown forward that we can do the reverse Jenkins with. We don't need to recruit one. We have our own Lynch/Tex tandem now that can make a good player out of a previously average one. Keep him in the team until someone comes knocking on the door, and then trade him. I think Vanders will actually take that extra tall spot (not that tall, I know) in the meantime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He'd be an upgrade and offer more versatility than Pedo who he'd likely replace in a hypothetical.

And given we've only offered Spencer a one-year deal, it suggests to me we're keeping our 'options' open in regards to players like this.

The importance of keeping Gawn fit and on the park cannot be underestimated considering the advantage he gives our mids and side in general.

And I think that will be the thinking here. Gawn needs support. Goldstein and Nic Nat both have better support which allows them more breaks both forward and on the pine. Gawn needs to be managed carefully, he is like gold to us.

To me, most of the top sides have 'ruckmen height' talls in their forward-line who provide solid relief for their side's number one ruckman. Pedo has provided admirable support at times but I'd be very surprised if supporters would prefer him to a 200cm forward/ruckman who'd potentially provide further relief for Hogan as well as offering better assistance when in the ruck due to his height.

But like others, what's hard to envisage is a future forward-line of:

 

Jenkins/Gawn       Weideman        Garlett

         Watts              Hogan             Kent

 

Seems to be too top heavy.... But at the same time it looks awfully difficult to match up on.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd absolutely love for Jenkins to be lining up next to Hogan next year, but I wouldn't be upset if Freo threw a massive contract at both Jenkins and McCarthy. Surely Freo couldn't fit all three in their salary cap and trade for all three. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have heard Jenkins has re-signed with Crows, in fact was done some time ago, just won't be announced til later in the year. Source is a mate with very strong AFC connections including a club legend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Hell Bent said:

Have heard Jenkins has re-signed with Crows, in fact was done some time ago, just won't be announced til later in the year. Source is a mate with very strong AFC connections including a club legend.

They can have him - cherry picker.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jumbo returns said:

They can have him - cherry picker.

If he came to us and kicked 2-4 goals a game he can pick all the cherrys he wants! Thats his job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

If he came to us and kicked 2-4 goals a game he can pick all the cherrys he wants! Thats his job. 

Hogan hunts his own ball. This guy parks himself in the goal square and gets spoon fed by an excellent midfied. 700k? Pfft.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jumbo returns said:

Hogan hunts his own ball. This guy parks himself in the goal square and gets spoon fed by an excellent midfied. 700k? Pfft.

I agree he is not worth that much and I'm pretty sure is just a desperate brissy offering that. I think you will find he and Watts are very similar, endless gut running that results in easy goals. Only difference is with a class midfield Jenkins gets rewarded more frequently with Joe the goose goals and Watts stands all alone in the goal square glowing red from all the times he is burnt by his teammates.

We have bigger priorities but Jenkins would be a good pickup. Rather him than Dawes or Pedo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

I agree he is not worth that much and I'm pretty sure is just a desperate brissy offering that. I think you will find he and Watts are very similar, endless gut running that results in easy goals. Only difference is with a class midfield Jenkins gets rewarded more frequently with Joe the goose goals and Watts stands all alone in the goal square glowing red from all the times he is burnt by his teammates.

We have bigger priorities but Jenkins would be a good pickup. Rather him than Dawes or Pedo

This is doable....

But, I've read somewhere on this forum that he's already signed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jumbo returns said:

Hogan hunts his own ball. This guy parks himself in the goal square and gets spoon fed by an excellent midfied. 700k? Pfft.

I think you're underselling him a little bit, mate, but I think he'd struggle in a team with a lesser midfield.

If he was 24 it'd be a yes, but with Weed and Hulett coming through, I'd prefer to develop from within there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AdamPleb said:

I think you're underselling him a little bit, mate, but I think he'd struggle in a team with a lesser midfield.

If he was 24 it'd be a yes, but with Weed and Hulett coming through, I'd prefer to develop from within there.

I'm just not a fan, AF - they did an assessment on his running on some Fox Footy show and most of his goals were from very close in. The Crows midfield is very, very good, hence his 40 odd goals this year....can't wait for Weed and Hulett to come on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Hell Bent said:

Have heard Jenkins has re-signed with Crows, in fact was done some time ago, just won't be announced til later in the year. Source is a mate with very strong AFC connections including a club legend.

I can promise you i have a better source and he definitely hasn't signed there. 

Brisvegas are offering a wonderful deal for him which crows wont be that close but imo he will stay loyal to Adelaide. Probably just delaying it hoping a few more $$.

He should go north imo. Was a rookie at the bombers and signed for peanuts to get on a list at the crows and he needs to make some serious hay while the sun is shining and its shining brighter up north.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, deeko said:

I can promise you i have a better source and he definitely hasn't signed there. 

Brisvegas are offering a wonderful deal for him which crows wont be that close but imo he will stay loyal to Adelaide. Probably just delaying it hoping a few more $$.

He should go north imo. Was a rookie at the bombers and signed for peanuts to get on a list at the crows and he needs to make some serious hay while the sun is shining and its shining brighter up north.

See, I reckon he'd really struggle at Brisbane (I mean who wouldn't? :P ). 

Edited by AdamPleb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, deeko said:

I can promise you i have a better source and he definitely hasn't signed there. 

Brisvegas are offering a wonderful deal for him which crows wont be that close but imo he will stay loyal to Adelaide. Probably just delaying it hoping a few more $$.

He should go north imo. Was a rookie at the bombers and signed for peanuts to get on a list at the crows and he needs to make some serious hay while the sun is shining and its shining brighter up north.

When was he a rookie at EssUndone?  Pre or post or during the experimentation era?  Just wondering.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/7/2016 at 10:36 AM, jumbo returns said:

Hogan hunts his own ball. This guy parks himself in the goal square and gets spoon fed by an excellent midfied. 700k? Pfft.

Jon Ralph has brought this up in an article tonight, asking the question of whether Jenkins is worth 800k or is he nothing more than a flat track bully.  He commented that he rarely, if ever, leads up to the ball and his first instinct is to hang out the back looking for the easy goal.

I don't believe he is worth the 800k at all and it certainly gives more credence to your point Jumbo.

I'd link the article but it's behind the paywall.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2016 at 4:09 PM, monoccular said:

When was he a rookie at EssUndone?  Pre or post or during the experimentation era?  Just wondering.  

He was there through 2011.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not basing this on anything but he reminds me of the sort of player that will have one good season then do nothing else in his career.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I'm not basing this on anything but he reminds me of the sort of player that will have one good season then do nothing else in his career.

Like Jamar?

 

You dont pay that sort of cash unless the bloke is a star. How desperate is Brisbane? My god.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, faultydet said:

Like Jamar?

 

You dont pay that sort of cash unless the bloke is a star. How desperate is Brisbane? My god.

I can understand what Brisbane is trying to do, although if I were them I'd put that cash elsewhere.  Schache and Hipwood have shown enough to suggest they could be very good key position forwards for the next 10-12 years, but they lack some serious class in other areas of the ground, especially down back.  I'm surprised they aren't throwing big cash at Tom McDonald who would be a mega upgrade on any player they have in their backline.

But to each their own.  They'll need to pay top dollar to convince players to jump ship.  I mean, why would Jenkins leave a premiership contender to play out his days at a cellar dwellar?  The only reason is money.  There was a reason Mitch Clark came to us and it wasn't our 'winning ways' that convinced him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I'm not basing this on anything but he reminds me of the sort of player that will have one good season then do nothing else in his career.

He is in the perfect situation in Adelaide.  If he goes to a club and is the main forward on big $ he will struggle mightily I reckon. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wiseblood said:

I can understand what Brisbane is trying to do, although if I were them I'd put that cash elsewhere.  Schache and Hipwood have shown enough to suggest they could be very good key position forwards for the next 10-12 years, but they lack some serious class in other areas of the ground, especially down back.  I'm surprised they aren't throwing big cash at Tom McDonald who would be a mega upgrade on any player they have in their backline.

But to each their own.  They'll need to pay top dollar to convince players to jump ship.  I mean, why would Jenkins leave a premiership contender to play out his days at a cellar dwellar?  The only reason is money.  There was a reason Mitch Clark came to us and it wasn't our 'winning ways' that convinced him.

That's the issue though Wise. Why not throw that cash at a bloke who will play good footy, and will be around longer?

McDonald would be a great idea for them. Even, dare I say it Watts. Josh Jenkins? Nah, I really don't get what they are trying to do, if that cash is even close to being correct.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, faultydet said:

That's the issue though Wise. Why not throw that cash at a bloke who will play good footy, and will be around longer?

McDonald would be a great idea for them. Even, dare I say it Watts. Josh Jenkins? Nah, I really don't get what they are trying to do, if that cash is even close to being correct.

 

I'll clarify - what I meant is that, when I say I can see what Brisbane is trying to do, it's that they know they need to throw serious cash around to get players in to the club.  And as you say, they are directing that cash at the wrong players.  Jenkins, to me, makes little sense as well, especially at his age.  If he was 25 then yes, I could understand it.  But not at his age.  He may only be good for another year or two, and how does he go when the delivery and gameplan are inferior?  They need to keep investing in kids and looking for the right deals.  Jenkins isn't one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

I'll clarify - what I meant is that, when I say I can see what Brisbane is trying to do, it's that they know they need to throw serious cash around to get players in to the club.  And as you say, they are directing that cash at the wrong players.  Jenkins, to me, makes little sense as well, especially at his age.  If he was 25 then yes, I could understand it.  But not at his age.  He may only be good for another year or two, and how does he go when the delivery and gameplan are inferior?  They need to keep investing in kids and looking for the right deals.  Jenkins isn't one of them.

Smacks of the Tigers trying to recruit anyone of note, even if it doesn't actually fit into any forward planning at all.

Panic recruiting. Look at our shiny new recruit, aren't we the best!!

Dumb Brisbane, just dumb

Edited by faultydet
Galaxy auto correct
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2016 at 4:09 PM, monoccular said:

When was he a rookie at EssUndone?  Pre or post or during the experimentation era?  Just wondering.  

Sorry monoccular didnt see the response.  He was there prior to all the dank issues. 

He is still very close mates with Hurley as well.

Edit - spelling 

Edited by deeko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    SOCIAL DISTANCING by George on the Outer

    It was good to see the MFC players practicing the directives about social distancing at the game against West Coast.  Pity was that they continued to do so after the first bounce of the ball, as they allowed numerous WCE players run around un-hindered, with not a Melbourne player within 1.5 metres of them! They then found themselves looking at nearly a 5 goal deficit at the first break, which was to be essentially the final margin for the game. It is difficult to judge exactly what is going

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BEST IN SHOW by Whispering Jack

    I am writing this knowing that the AFL has deemed that the opening round of competition will proceed but fully believing that it should not.  The world is going through cataclysmic change as a result of the overwhelming spread of the Covid-19 virus and I agree that a distraction like sport would be good for the public. However, while the physical threat to the population is bad enough, there are other  issues to be addressed including the mental health of the community and the effects on th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TASSIE DEVILS by Van Demon

    If you were looking for something new from the Demons that wasn’t there last year, you didn’t have to look further than the perfectly trimmed grass surface of UTAS Stadium last night as the team steamrolled the Hawks to record a comprehensive 32-point victory to complete their Marsh Community Series commitments for 2020. One new thing was the fact that for the second Marsh game in a row, the team finished full of running and they dominated the second half without the presence or the dominan

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons will go into their final Marsh Series match with a strong lineup against the Hawks in Tasmania. Both Max Gawn and Steven May, who were recovering from injuries in first Marsh Series match, have both been named. It is unclear whether Max will be on restricted minutes and will likely get breaks in the ruck with Sam Weideman and rookie Luke Jackson getting their turns in the middle. Angus Brayshaw will be getting his first taste of competitive football despite playing in last week’s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    KANGAROO CAUGHT by Whispering Jack

    There was a fair amount of debate in our area as to whether the game warranted a full blown match report because it was felt that it was really an elevated version of a training session with match simulation but against a team in opposition colours. Although notionally the stronger side, North seemed to be using the occasion for the purpose of working on aspects of their game plan, one of the features of which seemed to be based on taking the longest possible route out of defence and good luck w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    JUST AN ABERRATION by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne unveiled its top recruits with new fitness boss Darren Burgess and mid-sized bull Christian Petracca sharing top billing in the team’s Marsh Community Series opener in front of 3,095 football starved fans at Casey Fields and thousands of others watching on screens of various shapes and sizes.  What they saw was a different Melbourne to the one that failed to run out its JLT Series games last year and then crashed in a heap early in the season proper with performances lacking the z

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 4

    CROWDOWN by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons open their 2020 season account with a "home" game against the Adelaide Crows at Casey Fields. It’s been more than 5 and half agonising months for the team and supporters who are eager to atone for the disappointing 2019 season which saw the Dees go from Preliminary Finalist to 2nd bottom on the ladder. The preseason campaign has been a hard slog with the addition of respected High Performance Manager Darren Burgess. We caught a glimpse of the gut busting sessions in the Melbourne

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SKY FELL by The Oracle

    After a number of years of linear movement up the ladder, the Melbourne Football Club unexpectedly went into serious decline in 2019, slumping from fourth to 17th in a season that coach Simon Goodwin described “a complete wipe-out”. Those around the club who tried to analyse the apocalyptic events that unfolded during the year were hard pressed to find a single reason for the debacle but the most plausible explanation was that the club’s troubles stemmed from a lack of fitness and injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...