360 Nathan Buckley

camillo

It made sense this week to focus on Buckley. He'd just had two players suspended for a drug offence, as opposed to Roos coaching us to another loss against a team that has the wood on us.

I am surprised generally how good Buckley is to listen to: Roos on the other hand gives you something only every two or three weeks or so.

The thing about Buckley, and it's not just him (ie it's his entire Club as well, and they're not the only ones that do this), is that regardless of the state of their list, the amount of injuries they have, they never have excuses. They never expect anything less than winning every time they play. They always go in to a season expecting to play finals as a bare minimum then see where they get to after that.

We don't, and it seriously needs to change.

• Like 1

Like a few people here, I really like listening to Buckley on 360. I reckon he's really genuine and on a few occasions this year, after a bad Melbourne loss, he's actually defended us - or at least the idea that developing a side from the bottom up takes time.

Surprised that people are criticising Roosy's media style. I reckon he is fantastic. If you watched our media conferences after each game with the sound off, you wouldn't know if we'd won or lost. I think Roosy's relaxed demeanour is a huge strength - the media are vultures and once they smell blood they can make like pretty much impossible for a club or coach. Roosy is an expert at conveying calm.

More broadly on Melbourne in the media - we get heaps more than we used to. I think that goes back to Jimmy's days in the Presidency. Even though we used to be a reasonably good side we would barely get mentioned and were called irrelevant (whatever that means - Melbourne has never been irrelevant to me!). Now we have our coach on 360 every week.

• Like 3

If your sitting at your desk at your workplace and watch 360 on Monday nights enjoy this. A mate sent it to me and it sums up my workplace perfectly.

GW: It’s Monday night on 360 and that only means one thing. It’s time to get the coaches in and dissect the events of the past week.

Paul Roos. Welcome…

PR: Evening Gerard. Evening Robbo.

GW: And Nathan Buckley welcome to 360.

NB: Evening Gentleman.

MR: Roosy. I have to start with you.

When you are going through the tapes during the week, reviewing the game with players, breaking it down into critical moments; how frustrating is it when someone doesn’t refill the photocopier with paper?

PR: I think it’s the hardest job in football.

Sometimes we focus too much on areas like defensive pressure and midfield setup that we sometimes forget that we need paper to print these strategies on and if we run out of paper, we rely on staff to pick up the slack and refill the paper tray. Clearly that’s not happening at our football club.

NB: At Collingwood we are lucky that every staff member has their own photocopier so when you have the responsibility of your own copier, it’s important that the message gets through and to the guys credit they have been excellent in focusing on refilling when required.

MR: Roosy, I don’t mean to bang on about it but how is it that a professional team, paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year…doesn’t even have the…for lack of a better word…brains to know the situation and say to each other “guys, the photocopier tray is empty, someone needs to get back to the stationary cupboard and get some paper.”

PR: That’s a very good question and the simple answer is our guys weren’t aware of the situation and they didn’t get themselves back to the cupboard and clearly there was a communication failure from my office to the players.

NB: But in Roosy’s defence it shouldn’t be up to him all the time to tell the staff how much paper is left in the copier. That’s where you expect strong leadership on the office floor and staff to step up and say “even though I didn’t use the photocopier last, I’ll refill the paper tray as it’s what’s best for the team.”

GW: Would you be open to the suggestion of increasing the number of copiers in the offices at Melbourne?

PR: That’s something for the CEO to discuss with the football department in regards to resourcing but at the end of the day it doesn’t matter if you have 1 photocopier or 100. Paper needs to be refilled and that’s the message I’m trying to get across to the players. We aren’t doing the little things that make a difference.

MR: Bucks, you’ve been at Collingwood now for what 4 years. Have you seen the difference in staff when it comes to them asking you pointless questions that you don’t have the answer for?

NB: I still get silly questions asked my way every day. For example I had a staff member ask me last week where one of the assistant coaches was. Now if the staff member read their email he would have realised that this assistant coach was on leave for a week. Just today as I was coming here a staff member asked me why hasn’t the biscuit tin been refilled? It does get frustrating…

MR: Bucks, who is the worst at re-filling this biscuit tin in your office?

NB: I’m not going to name names Robbo but needless to say some of our senior staff need to step up when they see that the Scotch Fingers, Choc Chips and Butternut Snaps are all gone and all that is left are Kingstons and the lone Monte Carlo.

PR: And remember staff are under immense pressure to hit targets, be efficient and get the numbers ticking over and as a result the little things get missed. Personally I love the Kingston so I don’t mind if they are at the bottom of the tin. It’s when they have been sitting at the bottom of the tin for two days and start to get stale. That’s what disappoints me.

GW: I’ve heard from pretty reliable sources that dishes are left in the sink for up to a week. Given this is a potential OH&S issue, should there be harder sanctions for staff who don’t clean their dishes?

PR: Even when I was at the Swans we had issues with the staff kitchen. On any given day there would be a dirty cup or dish in the sink and it wasn’t until we suspended players from the team for these indiscretions that the message got through that everyone has a part to play to keep the staff kitchen clean.

GW: Well time has gotten away from us and I’m sure there will be more next week. Paul Roos, Nathan Buckley thanks and see you next week.

Edited by 13thFlagIsComing
  • Like 5

I’ve always hated Paul Roos’ media technique. He feels so false and noncommittal. If he weren’t Melbourne coach, I’d go back to doing what I used to do and totally ignore him because he’s just so dull.

Not a fan.

Bucks on the other hand. I could listen to him all day. Blunt, succinct, and (above all) usually spot-on.

I still hate Collingwood though.

Agree with you on Buckley but you're too harsh on Roos. If he needs to be opinionated he will do it - witness his tirade against the industry for bagging the game at the presser on the weekend. I actually think he makes alot of sense and most of the time when he's boring it's because of the dull questions. I'd much rather he remain calm after a bad loss like he did against the Saints than carry on like a pork chop as most supporters did on this site.

• Like 2

I think Roosy is great on TV.

It is a fascinating dynamic on monday night

2 Bitter rival clubs who train next to each other

Both long and prosperous histories

The Filth have clout and the MFC have bought Roosy in to reclaim our clout....

They get along as did Roos and Thompson

Slobbo is the one who brings it down. I wait for the day he is forever silent just like Christopher Pyne

• Like 4

I think Roosy is great on TV.

It is a fascinating dynamic on monday night

2 Bitter rival clubs who train next to each other

Both long and prosperous histories

The Filth have clout and the MFC have bought Roosy in to reclaim our clout....

They get along as did Roos and Thompson

Slobbo is the one who brings it down. I wait for the day he is forever silent just like Christopher Pyne

Train next to each other. I wish they'd go back to Abbotsford where they belong.