FAREWELL JEREMY HOWE

What

I actually get the feeling more and more that he is gone.

You could be right re: the offers though - it is clear we value him differently than he does, but the offers for that aren't forthcoming which leave him in limbo a little.

I also got out of the interview that Howe hasn't been happy playing down back and sees himself as a forward. I don't agree with that - his games up forward this year were games he went missing in, where as down back he was able to impact games more often.

I think the moment the right offer comes in he will accept it quickly and go. It's just getting another club to bite that seems to be the tricky part the minute.

Roos marked his cards months ago. Probably even last year, when they realised where other club's valued him.

RE: viewing himself as a forward, that's just an excuse, so it's not all about money, but it is.

He can stay on our terms.

Let's play out the 'just get rid of him' scenario - no-one wants to trade anything for him of value, we baulk at the ND56 we have been offered by the only club that is the race for him. He goes into the draft with his terms on his head and that club takes him at ND75 or PSD5.

We are left with the equivalent of a delisted player and the player we pick at the end of the draft is delisted a year or two years down the track.

Suddenly, you have turned a third tall forward on the fringes (at worst) into nothing.

Do that enough times, and you are left with a little bit of (2008-2013) history repeatin...

• Like 3

If the footy club doesn't rate him.....Why has he played every game for the past 2 years??....Back and forward

Would you trade a 100 game player for a draft pick in the 20's?

If he wasn't in talks about his contract would all this crap about how bad he is be taking place? No we would be talking about how he could improve.

Could someone tell me how many goals his opponents got when playing on him(Real Question)

Carlton got rid of their iffy players....Betts...Garlett....Waite.....And that is going so well isn't it?

• Like 1

I love how some around here think Howe should take whatever we offer him, and not bother about trying to get the best deal for himself.

And in the same breath can't wait to throw the likes of Watts and Grimes to the curb.

Loyalty runs both ways. You can't expect the players to think only of the club, when the club is only too willing to ditch players if and when it suits them.

We tried to change the terms of Evans' contract last year. I'm sure we will do the same with Terlich (and possibly others) this year. Don't blame the players for looking after themselves.

• Like 2

If Howe wants to stay at the price we are asking then I'd be happy for him to stay. He has shown versatility, though I think he plays his best footy as a intercept mark in defence. If he wants to chase more dollars and we can get good compensation then that would work also.

I don't think we can really lose in this situation, we either keep him for a price we are happy to pay or we trade him for something we value as equal or better than him.

If the footy club doesn't rate him.....Why has he played every game for the past 2 years??....Back and forward

Would you trade a 100 game player for a draft pick in the 20's?

If he wasn't in talks about his contract would all this crap about how bad he is be taking place? No we would be talking about how he could improve.

Could someone tell me how many goals his opponents got when playing on him(Real Question)

Carlton got rid of their iffy players....Betts...Garlett....Waite.....And that is going so well isn't it?

I've been talking about his laziness and his limitations as a player since 2013. If you think it's just been 2015, you're kidding yourself. He is not a competitor.

We'll trade him, nothing surer.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 6

I've been talking about his laziness and his limitations as a player since 2013. If you think it's just been 2015, you're kidding yourself. He is not a competitor.

If Howe stays, media reports suggest it will be for around $400k pa. - not much above the AFL average (exlc rookies, draftees) of $350k. So, he is priced by the market as a 'slightly above average' player.

If he has been able to get away with 'laziness' it is because there has been no pressure on top 22 spots.

If he continues with 'laziness' he will find himself at Casey to fight his way back.

I think Howe can lift his competitive game and be very valuable to the Dees!

-Having no suitors may be a big reality check for him!

-I noticed his 2nd and 3rd efforts were much better this year so he can be competitive.

That 'stat' is not measured but it is undoubtedly important in turnovers for/against.

-As we have more players with 'competitive edge' it will rub off on Jeremy (and hopefully Watts).

If every player adopts Jesse's personal goal for 2015 we will quickly become an excellent team.

Jesse's personal goal was? To not be dropped!!

Hope Jeremy was listening!!

Exactly this, he has been loping around taking speccies and avoiding hard ball gets and defensive AND attacking accountability his entire career. He is EXACTLY the kind of non-committed player Roos and co. are trying to weed out. The unfortunate thing is, as is the case with Jack Watts, that he is a very talented and skilful footballer. More and more at this club talent alone counts for nothing, and that's a very good thing. We don't need Howe, and we certainly don't want him.
  • Like 4

If Howe stays, media reports suggest it will be for around $400k pa. - not much above the AFL average (exlc rookies, draftees) of $350k. So, he is priced by the market as a 'slightly above average' player.

If he has been able to get away with 'laziness' it is because there has been no pressure on top 22 spots.

If he continues with 'laziness' he will find himself at Casey to fight his way back.

-I noticed his 2nd and 3rd efforts were much better this year so he can be competitive.

That 'stat' is not measured but it is undoubtedly important in turnovers for/against.

-As we have more players with 'competitive edge' it will rub off on Jeremy (and hopefully Watts).

If every player adopts Jesse's personal goal for 2015 we will quickly become an excellent team.

Jesse's personal goal was? To not be dropped!!

Hope Jeremy was listening!!

I think Jack will be traded too. The time has come. I like Jack. He's got great skill and decision-making and he's a loyal clubman, but he's not a competitor either. If we truly want a dynasty of success at this club, he has to be traded. All that remains is a good deal for us and his potential suitor.

NOTE. If Jack's value on the trade table (ie the procurement of someone like Prestia, in a package deal) is greater than that of his worth as a best 22 player, he will and should be traded.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 3

He's worth keeping alone for that screamer in Round 1 against Suns player who had bandage wrapped around his head. Howe damn near drove his knee through the back of the blokes already damaged canister. The kind of bullying aggression we need in the contest.

He can stay on our terms.

Let's play out the 'just get rid of him' scenario - no-one wants to trade anything for him of value, we baulk at the ND56 we have been offered by the only club that is the race for him. He goes into the draft with his terms on his head and that club takes him at ND75 or PSD5.

We are left with the equivalent of a delisted player and the player we pick at the end of the draft is delisted a year or two years down the track.

Suddenly, you have turned a third tall forward on the fringes (at worst) into nothing.

Do that enough times, and you are left with a little bit of (2008-2013) history repeatin...

We're obviously not going to delist him/trade him for a bag of peanuts - he has value! But if we can get a decent trade out of him we will rush to sign it off.

• Like 1

If the footy club doesn't rate him.....Why has he played every game for the past 2 years??....Back and forwardWould you trade a 100 game player for a draft pick in the 20's?If he wasn't in talks about his contract would all this crap about how bad he is be taking place? No we would be talking about how he could improve.Could someone tell me how many goals his opponents got when playing on him(Real Question)Carlton got rid of their iffy players....Betts...Garlett....Waite.....And that is going so well isn't it?

Maybe he's played so many games because he's a better option than Terlich or Bail or McKenzie or Matt Jones. It's not like we're spoilt for choice is it?

Would you give back Brayshaw to take back Frawley? Similar arguments, played (almost?) every game for last couple of years. If not Brayshaw then Frost or Neal-Bullen someone of equivalent draft status. What about Sylvia, should we have signed him up because he was a regular or are you happier with Vince who just won our B&F?

• Like 1

1%ers definitely are measured by Champion Data.

If you want to know what Roos thinks of Howe and Watts go and check last tears Swans game and the bake he gave them at either 1/4 or 3/4 time. Since then he's given them plenty of chances but neither have stepped up to the plate despite showing glimpses.

He's worth keeping alone for that screamer in Round 1 against Suns player who had bandage wrapped around his head. Howe damn near drove his knee through the back of the blokes already damaged canister. The kind of bullying aggression we need in the contest.

He did the same thing to Jetta and put him out of commission for the best part of a month!

It's a pretty simple equation for me on both of them. If you can get better players in by trading them out do it. If you can't then don't trade them. I have faith in the List Management and Recruiting teams on getting this one right. Eg how happy would you be if it was Howe out for Bennell. Or part of a deal for Prestia or O'Meara.

O'Meara is an interesting one. According to that article he has said he's committed to playing out the final year of his contract next year but then is interested in moving to Melbourne in the long term. If you were GC why would you hang on to a 22yr old who has told you he's going to leave in one more year. Aren't you better to trade him out now and get on with recruiting in and training up his replacement. So a deal like that for Howe and perhaps Watts may not be so out of the question.

• Like 2

In the press today it has been written that Howe:

1. has not yet received an offer from melbourne

2. has had discussions about player bands and compensation bands

3. is looking to ensure Howe would be in the bottom half of the top 10 players in terms of compensation

All of which, if true, is interesting. Number 3 would seem fair and about right based on his B&F finish of 9th

Number 1 is particularly interesting. Ususally a club makes an offer and a player thinks about it while checking the market. The club may be playing a different game this year saying 'come back to us and tell us what you want'

I have a feeling this trade period will bust open the whole trading/loyalty/contract basis that has been operating for many years. I reckon its about to get ugly with player demands,white anting, ambit claims, manager tactics etc.

• Like 2

For very selfish reasons I hope he stays...my 8 year old's favourite player (by a street).

She got 38 on her jumper this year and I'm too soft to explain to her why/how he left the club.

On the other hand a 7 would look awesome on that jumper.

A lot of MFC parents have some uncomfortable conversations coming up if both Howe and Watts leave.

Knowing full well that Sydney would take him at ND18.

We were making a point.

Unless you think that Sydney were a chance not to take him at ND18?

Very much the case.. all the game within a game stuff.

Id be inclined to agree with Reds view...Frawley thought he was the player...he was played. Quite well too :)

A lot of MFC parents have some uncomfortable conversations coming up if both Howe and Watts leave.

get them guinea pigs....same lessons !! lol