AFL involved in Port Adelaide/Essendon Draft Rort

deanox

I think you'll find Port Adelaide are driving this one.

Not entirely sure Essendon are keen to do it.

But I guess it's easy to run with "typical Essendon" at a time like this.

two to tango my friend

• Like 3

Yes we can, there cant bea rule for 1 team, and another rule for everyone else

If Essendrug can do it anyone should be allowed to, in fact every team BUT Essendrug should be allowed to

Lets agree to terminate Clarks contract and take the compo which will likely be band 2. pick 24

A guy that's played 15 games in 3 years and has a dodgy body (amongst other significant issues)? You think he's worth a band 2 pick? If we did a 'Ryder' and asked for a comp pick we'd be lucky to get band 4. Ryder is worth band 1. Don't get me wrong, what Ess, PA and the AFL appear to be doing is pure and simple bending the rules to suit their needs, it stinks. But we'd be better served getting pick 33 or whatever it is from Geelong and using it to get Lumumba. Or engage in a 3 way deal with Varcoe to the pies. Sure, Clark at its best is great, but the odds of him getting back to any sort of form, let alone getting on the park, are close to zero. The FA formula is complete BS, they make it up to suit their agenda.

• Like 2

Couldn't we do the same for MC?

I wouldn't think so. Clark hasn't been on our list long enough to qualify for FA status, I'm guessing Ryder has been.

Doesn't mean I don't think it's wrong, I think it's completely wrong but this will be the logic applied.

• Like 2

The player movement fiasco just gets bigger and bigger.

The hole just gets deeper and deeper for the AFL.

• Like 1

Couldn't we do the same for MC?

Ryder is 27 so I assume he qualifies as a FA for Essendon, Clark wouldn't qualify as a FA for us. Despite that I doubt Clark's contract at Geelong would be large enough to make this worth our while anyway, likely they'd come back saying no compo similar to Waite.

But yeah this would absolutely stink if signed off by the AFL, it is draft tampering.

• Like 1

Anyone see litigation being threatened by the other clubs?

who'd have the gonads...honestly

• Like 1

So a club plays it difficult and refuses to trade a player who wants out. Solution? WE'LL GIVE YOU A MAGICAL COMPENSATION PICK AS WELL!

Oh, please. If the AFL said he can leave under the DFA clause, DO THAT. Port can get him for free that way and Essendon get their just desserts: SWEET [censored] ALL.

• Like 1

two to tango my friend

Article says : "Port and Ryder are keen to make it happen, while Essendon can see the advantages."

Cleary it's driven by Port.

Yes, Essendon will have to play their part by terminating Ryders contract, but that hasn't happened yet, so all anger directed at Essendon is unwarranted I would have thought until it happens, if in fact it does.

Seriously, at this stage I would settle for picks 17 and 36 [what ever Ports first 2 picks are] for Ryder, but if this new scenario does play out, and we can get picks 17 and 21 instead, of course I would take it.

But it's a long way off happening.

Basically because Essendrug aren't happy with what Port are offering for Ryder, the AFL have tols them that if they end Ryders contract they can relieve band 1, and can deal with port.. hence compensating the Drugs for Ryder. Essentially it's allowing them to get pick 21 for free.

Also at the same time it's acknowledged that Ryder could walk from the club and Drugs receive nothing because of BREACH OF CONTRACT.. Just downright were governance right there.

Game was never this illogical wit Vlad at the helm

Ryder is 27 so I assume he qualifies as a FA for Essendon, Clark wouldn't qualify as a FA for us. Despite that I doubt Clark's contract at Geelong would be large enough to make this worth our while anyway, likely they'd come back saying no compo similar to Waite.

But yeah this would absolutely stink if signed off by the AFL, it is draft tampering.

surely not a FA, as he is still contracted.
  • Like 1

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-trade-news-radical-plan-discussed-to-get-paddy-ryder-to-port-adelaide-20141008-1137n5.html?rand=1412753575441

This is draft tampering.

There are rules in place. Clubs colluding and choosing to void a contract to create compensation should be illegal.

If this is allowed, clubs will start to do this all the time.

For example, if Dangerfield decides to come to the demons, we could ask AFC to void his contract, they get pick 9 as a FA, then we trade pick 3 for another player (Lyons?).

This will be how clubs do deals, to create compensation for each other.

This is not acceptable. It is a joke.

Edit: auto correct

I just read the article this may be good for port & the bummers, but its bad for the others teams following those picks. it moves everyone down 2 spots for the one deal.... why so port don't have to give up a player with a pick?

Or essenscum are just cheap & tight.

lets keep going AFL, & further screw the competition & the draft.

essendon screwed the Comp by bringing all this on themselves, let them wear it all. its they're punishment. they should just get P-17

I just read the article this may be good for port & the bummers, but its bad for the others teams following those picks. it moves everyone down 2 spots for the one deal.... why so port don't have to give up a player with a pick?

How do other teams move down 2 spots?

As far as I can tell, IF this goes through, there is only one pick that gets pulled out of thin air, pick 21, that Essendon get for Ryder leaving as a "free agent".

Joke. Effectively allows clubs to just pluck picks that don't exist from thin air and include them in trades at no cost of their own.

I almost fell off my chair reading that. So Dal Santo's had the last year of his contract voided and they get pick 25, not from North but from thin air?

One rule for the 'marquee clubs": a totally different rule for the "feeder development clubs"!

Seriously, this could be the last straw for this long suffering MFC fan.

looks to me like essendon have called the AFL's bluff & freeing Ryder via Essendons breach of contract... the bummers fight it, & they bring the whole house of cards down.

otherwise ryder goes free, then it could be open season on bombers.

this drugs scandal is causing sooo muuucho trubble.