the magnet board

The guy in the coaches box with Roos with the magnetic board, who is he and what is the role? Its like second by second match ups / real time roles. Is that standard operating procedure or is it idioRooscratic?

The guy in the coaches box with Roos with the magnetic board, who is he and what is the role? Its like second by second match ups / real time roles. Is that standard operating procedure or is it idioRooscratic?

Fascinating that you've noticed Roos has a guy but not every other coach in the competition plus every other previous Melbourne coach for as long as I can remember.

Yes real time match ups and positions. Helps the senior coach take a quick look instead of having to scan the field and work out each individual match up.

Interesting that's it's been kept old school where as the sports science guys have special computer screens that shows the players each in position and usually has their names lit up in green, yellow or red depending on how long they've been on the field for.

Besides getting the board sorted I think the main role of the board man is to sit there and just be cool and calm when chaos rains in a coaching box as it must.

Yes real time match ups and positions. Helps the senior coach take a quick look instead of having to scan the field and work out each individual match up.

Interesting that's it's been kept old school where as the sports science guys have special computer screens that shows the players each in position and usually has their names lit up in green, yellow or red depending on how long they've been on the field for.

Thanks for that Georgiou

Supplementary Q. if I may

Why does the player who kicks a goal immediately run off to the bench?

Fascinating that you've noticed Roos has a guy but not every other coach in the competition plus every other previous Melbourne coach for as long as I can remember.

Besides getting the board sorted I think the main role of the board man is to sit there and just be cool and calm when chaos rains in a coaching box as it must.

yes, but what if the computer hangs or crashes?

Ahh yes, that's a great question.

The player sprinting off the field after a goal is a modern phenomena brought upon players, coaches and supporters by........the 'all knowing' fitness guru's of our game. That's right! This act is designed specifically for three reasons. 1. to ensure that the players actually "get some miles into their legs" and 2. to make sure the 'real time' GPS trackers are still working and the batteries aren't flat and 3. to ensure that the sports science guys can actually see a players name going from green to yellow to red on their laptops as their CO2 levels max out........well that's what I thought up until recently.......but I have since found out it was actually the sport psychologists (or Psychos to most of us) who are actually behind this bizarre and seemingly unnecessary over-exertion and waste of energy.

"Huddle Up Demonlander's, this is top secret".

The current theory is that a player who has just completed the most damaging act in football towards an opposition (kicking a goal) should be 'dragged' from the ground like an underachieving powder puff to the jeers of the opposition and laughter of the supporters is actually to help develop the players psychological resilience. Yes that's right; help develop their resilience to the illogical and personally demeaning acts brought against them during a game of football. The key to the success of this technique however is that once on the bench the sport psych weaves his magic by calmly whispering in the ear of the bemused (targeted) player to assure them they should block out the jeers and laughter from the crowd focus on their 'triumph' and prepare for their next opportunity on the field, thus improving their capacity to overwhelm adversity. Unfortunately the Sports Psychos Union won't let them work on weekends. The result is the player reaches the bench and realises that the psycho is not there.....the result is they focus internally and subconsciously reach for their 'psychological security blanket' (their aggots) to reinsure themselves.

While this seemed like a practical explanation, I am privy to some distressing information from the Players Association who are investigating claims AFL players are exploiting insider knowledge from 'dubious' contacts in the sub-continent and are rushing off the ground to lay, and lay off bets with these mysterious international bookies!!

Personally I cannot express how shocked I was to hear such folly....that would be like....well.......believing rumours that a club like..........perhaps Essendon were taking 'stuff' to grow muscle and enhance their on field performance!

My personal theory is that the players do it because they know they will get 10 seconds of 'me time' on the telly when they do it. And gee, if they can kick enough goals over their career they will eventually get their 15 minutes of fame!! ;-)

Enjoy your weekend. I hope Collingwood loses. Go Dees

From what I have been told, its fro the sports psycho's... :)

Apparently the adrenaline from helping your teams score can result in the player over exerting himself and possible becoming injured. We all know when your pumped you go in harder etc...so they tae them off for the adrenaline to drop and then back on.

To be it seems nuts..thin farmer with that second half of 9 goals against the pies...imagine if he had to run to the interchange every time he scored, whereas he stayed on and was in the zone..

^^^^

Interesting psychology, though I am unsure whether it relates to the players, the psychos or the posters :-)

From what I have been told, its fro the sports psycho's... :)

Apparently the adrenaline from helping your teams score can result in the player over exerting himself and possible becoming injured. We all know when your pumped you go in harder etc...so they tae them off for the adrenaline to drop and then back on.

To be it seems nuts..thin farmer with that second half of 9 goals against the pies...imagine if he had to run to the interchange every time he scored, whereas he stayed on and was in the zone..

Strange - I always found that after kicking a goal I played my best footy