Post Match Discussion

Demonland

I seem to recall someone on here posting last week about he is worth a couple of goals he kicks plus more just by his presence in the team, or something along those lines. That was shown perfectly by his game yesterday. He seemed to have so much impact on the game, i was surprised when seeing his stats afterwards.

yup. i agree. i have said all along that i see Dawes as a "playing coach" of sorts.

• Like 1

Dare I say Dean Kent may have arrived. He's a big bod, loves the physicality, a stonking kick, and a much better mark than I've previously thought. Very very handy....

a stonking kick??????

25 points for using the word stonking in a sentence.

demonland on fire today after a win.

every school teacher on this site will bring this word back in vogue after your post .

well done.

• Like 3

I may be the only one here but I think Dunn was one of the most important men on the ground today. Not only his kicking but the fact that he always presented hard and demanded the ball and usually marked it. He gave us a real target coming out of the backline which made it easier for Dawes and Frawley to make their leads closer to goal

He was good, he's playing like an AFL footballer at last and not some idiot that wants to jumper punch his opponent all the time. It works better when he concentrates on his game, because after about 100 years at the club, it has been that long hasn't it, he is showing why he was picked in the first place.

How many players have slipped the net over the years because of poor coaching, poor facilities and lack of faith.

• Like 3

Dare I say Dean Kent may have arrived. He's a big bod, loves the physicality, a stonking kick, and a much better mark than I've previously thought. Very very handy....

hinted at it last year. Basically has retired Tapscott from the club. Plays a similar role except he can actually move!

A few of our big men are showing some traits of how Roos himself played the game.

At the last moment pushing off their opponent to have the advantage in a marking contest or ... doing the same thing and then gaining 4 or 5 metres on a lead. A face to face push off is generally allowed if it's done the right way. Just generally playing in front instead of hesitating or playing from behind is another somewhat noticeable trend.

Watts, Frawley and Dawes all looked dangerous in the forward line just by doing these simple things. Our tall's all should become better players if they're all able to grasp hold of what's being taught to them.

Roos' vast experience as a top class tall utility player is starting to come to the fore (in terms of passing on knowledge)

Frawley has really grown in the forward role now, and I think he'll go on to be a greater defender because of it.

He'll be much more comfortable reading and attacking the footy in the air like Brian Lake does.

Winning the footy before his opponent can, as opposed to just making it as difficult as possible for his opponent to win it. There's a distinction.

Also handy to have that string to his bow of being able to go forward as a swing man. Valuable to him, and our side.

Dawes was fantastic, just by being a big obvious target that would not get outmarked.

He may have dropped a handful of marks, but he brought the ball to ground.

That's why we got him.

Jordie was great. As I've said before, he can kick, but was often unable to by virtue of where he was getting his possessions, largely due to instruction.

Matt Jones and Bail were better, in that they do most things well enough, but usually struggle to hit targets and are therefore turnover merchants. There seems to have been a clear instruction for them (and McKenzie) to kick to position and the hot spots, rather than trying to hit up a target. It has worked.

Viney showed excellent hardness at the contest, not that I'd expect any different.

Is he eligible for NAB rising star? May get the nod this week.

Spencer put in great effort and aggression, and that's exactly what I want from him... but his disposal is still god awful most of the time.

Cross justified me having called for his recruitment from Round 6 onwards last year.

Doing even better than I imagined.

As for Carlton...

Anyone hear Bruce Mathieson on the radio after the match?

No wonder Carlton are in so much trouble.

He's another meddling idiot, in the vein of Joe Gutnick.

Obviously he has given a lot to that club, but he was demanding immediate change without being able to articulate what he actually wanted to happen, that could feasibly be done in the short-term, and how that action would change Carlton's fortunes.

He was angry, fair enough, but don't wade in unless you have some clear idea of what you're demanding happen.

As for Mick's presser... It was a bit disappointing to be honest!

Except for some absolute pillock who was asking Mick "how does this loss compare to your losses in the 2002 and 2003 grand finals?"

Really? That's the best you could come up with?

Either a moron or simply trying to elicit a reaction.

Mick was baffled, but moved on respectfully.

• Like 1

Frawley has really grown in the forward role now, and I think he'll go on to be a greater defender because of it.

He'll be much more comfortable reading and attacking the footy in the air like Brian Lake does.

Winning the footy before his opponent can, as opposed to just making it as difficult as possible for his opponent to win it. There's a distinction.

Also handy to have that string to his bow of being able to go forward as a swing man. Valuable to him, and our side.

Dawes was fantastic, just by being a big obvious target that would not get outmarked.

That's why we got him.

Jordie was great. As I've said before, he can kick, but was often unable to by virtue of where he was getting his possessions, largely due to instruction.

Matt Jones and Bail were better, in that they do most things well enough, but usually struggle to hit targets and are therefore turnover merchants. There seems to have been a clear instruction for them (and McKenzie) to kick to position and the hot spots, rather than trying to hit up a target. It has worked.

Viney showed excellent hardness at the contest, not that I'd expect any different.

Spencer put in great effort and aggression, and that's exactly what I want from him... but his disposal is still god awful most of the time.

Cross justified me having called for his recruitment from Round 6 onwards last year.

As for Carlton...

He's another meddling [censored], in the vein of Joe Gutnick.

Obviously he has given a lot to that club, but he was demanding immediate change without being able to articulate what he actually wanted to happen, that could feasibly be done in the short-term, and how that action would change Carlton's fortunes.

He was angry, fair enough, but don't wade in unless you have some clear idea of what you're demanding happen.

Except for some absolute pillock who was asking Mick "how does this loss compare to your losses in the 2002 and 2003 grand finals?"

I think for the moment Frawley playing forward is the best thing for everyone, it's giving us a chance to see what a defence without frawley would look like should he leave and based on yesterday i'd say he has the capacity to be a more than capable CHF for us, his speed is a real asset, between he, Dawes and Hogan we have three very different and dangerous talls, throw Watts and Howe down there and it's a nightmare for defensive sides.

That's why we got him.

As for Carlton...

He's another meddling [censored], in the vein of Joe Gutnick.

Yes that Question to Mick was just bizzare!!

You can't blame him for getting surly being forced to answer such moronic drivel.

I got the feeling from Dawes's interview with Burgs up on the website that he had had a big say in his own selection as well. He's one player who can stand up and say "I'll play thanks - the team needs me even if I may be underdone" without leading me to think he is full of himself. It was obvious to all of us how desperately we needed him, it was obviously apparent to Roos and Dawes himself as well.

Roos was interviewed on the website during the week (may have been the prematch presser - can't recall) and he said Dawes had pushed hard to play, that Roos was thinking Casey as late as thursdsy morning but Dawes had smashed it at training and then called Roos up to present his case.

I've been happy with the Dawes pickup since day one, and I don't think that will change.

• Like 3

Grimes on the 3lo now talking about Roos saying that hes just a coach that really focuses on the basics and drills them into you and that hes a real relationship builder and people person.

Also said, I dont care if we never see Clark on the ground again, (was he saying maybe he might come back?) as long as he gets himself right and gets over the illness that he has. The players didnt realize how sick he was.

Also mentioned about the team being able to go more direct because they had a target up forward,. In previous weeks that had focused more on possession.

Edited by Wadda We Sing

Grimes on the 3lo now talking about Roos saying that hes just a coach that really focuses on the basics and drills them into you and that hes a real relationship builder and people person.

Also said, I dont care if we never see Clark on the ground again, (was he saying maybe he might come back?) as long as he gets himself right and gets over the illness that he has. The players didnt realize how sick he was.

774 please WWS!!
  • Like 1

Roos was interviewed on the website during the week (may have been the prematch presser - can't recall) and he said Dawes had pushed hard to play, that Roos was thinking Casey as late as thursdsy morning but Dawes had smashed it at training and then called Roos up to present his case.

I've been happy with the Dawes pickup since day one, and I don't think that will change.

Probably his most important attribute is that he takes ownership of the problems. The insisting on being selected, then kicking those big goals at critical times in the game when he probably had every right to pass it off. This is what true leadership is to me.

• Like 5

He wants it too.

It was one of his big things about coming across from Collingwood.

Clearly he wanted to lead, and wasn't comfortable with the direction the Collingwood leadership was going in, and those in charge were more prepared to hand the reins to a human stain like Beams than a bloke like Dawes.

Lucky for us.

*Beams can play, yes. But he's not a leader.

I would assume he has been tentatively handed responsibility in an effort to make him mature.

• Like 1

A few of our big men are showing some traits of how Roos himself played the game.

At the last moment pushing off their opponent to have the advantage in a marking contest or ... doing the same thing and then gaining 4 or 5 metres on a lead. A face to face push off is generally allowed if it's done the right way. Just generally playing in front instead of hesitating or playing from behind is another somewhat noticeable trend.

Watts, Frawley and Dawes all looked dangerous in the forward line just by doing these simple things. Our tall's all should become better players if they're all able to grasp hold of what's being taught to them.

Roos' vast experience as a top class tall utility player is starting to come to the fore (in terms of passing on knowledge)

Please Macca it's the Brad Miller effect!

But yes Dunn and Dawes have always been smart forwards, but Frawley surprised with his leading patterns, his pace on a lead isn't a surprise at all!

Pedersen down back we knew about, more suited than forward, he was full back at Box Hill - likely got some Hawthorn knowledge at that position. He was forward/ruck at Werribee with North. Georgiou is the pleasant surprise that what we heard about in SANFL translates to AFL. He is every bit the natural hard crafty defender.

The one who's been an underrated improver given his form tailed off last year (likely injury related) is Tom McDonald. He's looking much more than composed one on one defender even when out positioned or left isolated deep. He was always very good at CHB defending leading players but he's added the ability of stopping guys inside 50 (besides Roughy who got him in a practice match at Casey!). Cameron last week and Henderson both got plenty of delivery and space inside 50 at times and McDonald stood up. Last year he was having bags kicked on him by Setanta O'Hailpin and Lewis Johnstone. If he has one weakness right now it's at ground level with a turning agile forward crumbing and snapping a goal on him but they are hard to stop.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you were watching but at the start of the review they said Jones was outstanding and was clearly BOG.

Yeah they did and as they show highlights of Jones whooping murphy's ass that thug Brown and the others speak about Murphy and his leadership. It's all good I just wanted to hear about our best player in a little more depth. It's just a bad show made even worse by having a player retire in disgrace on the show. End of rant.

Yeah they did and as they show highlights of Jones whooping murphy's ass that thug Brown and the others speak about Murphy and his leadership. It's all good I just wanted to hear about our best player in a little more depth. It's just a bad show made even worse by having a player retire in disgrace on the show. End of rant.

All the footy media is like this now - they'll focus heavily on the losers with some token comments about the winners. It's in their interests to manufacture or give oxygen to crises and for guys like Hutchison and Barrett it's far easier than analysing the game where they would be caught out for the utter morons they are.

• Like 5

I hope the move forward and a few more wins this season will reinvigorate Frawley's passion for the Dees because he is great up there.. It would be a huge win for us if he re-signed during the season and would boost everyone around him I believe and it will be a huge asset in the future having two great backmen in Frawley and Garland who are more than competent up forward.

JKH will play a lot of games for this club and I didn't notice any of the animosity that others have mentioned though I probably wasn't looking hard enough.

• Like 1

I'm not sure James Frawley WILL go back. Reserve judgement until he plays better opposition (team and direct opponent), but yesterday was his second game as a forward, and frankly he killed it. He is too often predictable and mentally slow in the backline, and gets stung on account. At this stage I think the forward 50 plays more to his strengths....speed, marking, straight line power and contesting. I thin Dunn will go back for Hogan in, but otherwise, with Garland to come, I'm reasonably comfortable we can cover for Chip.

All the footy media is like this now - they'll focus heavily on the losers with some token comments about the winners. It's in their interests to manufacture or give oxygen to crises and for guys like Hutchison and Barrett it's far easier than analysing the game where they would be caught out for the utter morons they are.

Yes bring back the WOS Footy Panel with Coaches Corner.

The Sunday footy shows are awful.

Particularly Hamish McGlauchlan.

Why has he become a celebrity?? Done nuthin....

I'm not sure James Frawley WILL go back. Reserve judgement until he plays better opposition (team and direct opponent), but yesterday was his second game as a forward, and frankly he killed it. He is too often predictable and mentally slow in the backline, and gets stung on account. At this stage I think the forward 50 plays more to his strengths....speed, marking, straight line power and contesting. I thin Dunn will go back for Hogan in, but otherwise, with Garland to come, I'm reasonably comfortable we can cover for Chip.

As long as we aren't short in the backline, I'd love to see him stay up forward. It's just great to have that flexibility, especially if someone goes down early in a game at one end.

His set shot kicking was something that I thought could be a worry but he was actually very accurate and had a very straight set shot action. It was also funny at times to see him lead, get to the ball and spill the mark, as if he didn't expect to get it, or he was thinking about punching it away.

Just read through this thread.

Steady on boys.

It was only Carlton.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

• Like 3

Please Macca it's the Brad Miller effect!

But yes Dunn and Dawes have always been smart forwards, but Frawley surprised with his leading patterns, his pace on a lead isn't a surprise at all!

Pedersen down back we knew about, more suited than forward, he was full back at Box Hill - likely got some Hawthorn knowledge at that position. He was forward/ruck at Werribee with North. Georgiou is the pleasant surprise that what we heard about in SANFL translates to AFL. He is every bit the natural hard crafty defender.

The one who's been an underrated improver given his form tailed off last year (likely injury related) is Tom McDonald*. He's looking much more than composed one on one defender even when out positioned or left isolated deep. He was always very good at CHB defending leading players but he's added the ability of stopping guys inside 50 (besides Roughy who got him in a practice match at Casey!). Cameron last week and Henderson both got plenty of delivery and space inside 50 at times and McDonald stood up. Last year he was having bags kicked on him by Setanta O'Hailpin and Lewis Johnstone. If he has one weakness right now it's at ground level with a turning agile forward crumbing and snapping a goal on him but they are hard to stop.

If history repeats itself then we might see a few of our tall's turned into much better players. LRT and Richards are 2 that come to mind from Roos' time at Sydney. There's probably others but Roos definitely improved Hall, O'Loughlin and Goodes in terms of body positioning and footy smarts.

Roos' teaching capabilities with regards to all our tall players is something we can look forward to. Hogan, Garland and Jamar all have various degrees of improvement in them and as we know, they're not even in the team yet.

We need a decent 2nd ruck to help Spencer out and at this stage, Jamar may well be next cab off the rank - however, he needs to do a fair bit more than just win his fair share of hit outs (Spencer looks like he wants the no.1 ruck position and is on his way to claiming that role)

Last week's final quarter fade out is hopefully a thing of the past. The better teams are still going to be an issue mainly based on pure skill but ... there's at least 10-12 games where we're going to be in with a real opportunity (if we keep up yesterday's effort, application and 100% determination)

*McDonald thrives on having greater match day responsibility and hopefully, this rubs off on a number of others. That "take the lead" type attitude can be infectious.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Just read through this thread.

Steady on boys.

It was only Carlton.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

It's great though.

All last night and this morning on facebook and other social media, it's Carlton which is now having the [censored] taken out of it with memes and other jokes. They've suddenly become the whipping boy and Carlton supporters are a laughing stock. I've not been happier about a win since I can remember.

• Like 2