Demons could get priority pick

ChaserJ

I'm not really interested in the AFL ratings of players, i reckon we have 10-12 AFL standard players and a few strong VFL performers who plug gaps, not surprising we go how we do, Roos will have a massive cleanout at the end of the year and get some better types in

So you would prefer 1 superstar than half a dozen blokes that would walk in to any other teams starting 22? That won't get us far.

While you do have to take Top 50 lists (like Sheehan's) with a grain of salt, what they do highlight is how important it is to have mulitple A-graders in your team. The teams up the top end have 5 or 6 each, the teams in the middle have 2 to 4 players. We barely have 1.

Now that the Gold Coast are starting to get more output from some of their players, they are starting to see a rise up the ladder. It won't be long until O'Meara, Swallow & Martin (to name a few) end up in the top 50 in the league, and it won't be coincidence that they will be playing finals when this occurs. It's also why Carlton are where they are - after Murphy and to some degree Judd, their next best player drops down the rankings significantly.

• Like 2

SMH.

Really?

Ignoring that its completely off topic to my post, are you really going back to the reporter Dustin Martin non-interview?

I'd say that has proved to have been a sound decision.

Not only is he vastly overrated, but he'd have surely gone well off the rails if he'd been at MFC the last 5 years.

We'd be cutting our losses and wishing we'd picked Trengove.

My view is that Martin would have been fine on our list. Its this attitude that has blinded us in the past eg Cook instead of Darling.

Without even interviewing Martin how was due dilligence done?

My view is that Martin would have been fine on our list. Its this attitude that has blinded us in the past eg Cook instead of Darling.

Without even interviewing Martin how was due dilligence done?

I don't think you'd need to interview Martin for his problems to already be obvious.

There are warning signs written all over him.

But keep living in cloud cuckoo land.

Even Richmond were better prepared to manage his welfare and tendencies than we were.

Now maybe a different story.

So you would prefer 1 superstar than half a dozen blokes that would walk in to any other teams starting 22? That won't get us far.

While you do have to take Top 50 lists (like Sheehan's) with a grain of salt, what they do highlight is how important it is to have mulitple A-graders in your team. The teams up the top end have 5 or 6 each, the teams in the middle have 2 to 4 players. We barely have 1.

Now that the Gold Coast are starting to get more output from some of their players, they are starting to see a rise up the ladder. It won't be long until O'Meara, Swallow & Martin (to name a few) end up in the top 50 in the league, and it won't be coincidence that they will be playing finals when this occurs. It's also why Carlton are where they are - after Murphy and to some degree Judd, their next best player drops down the rankings significantly.

That's not what i said at all, but i reckon we nearly have that as it is and it doesn't get us far, Jones, Garland, Frawley, Clark, Howe, and Hogan i reckon would all get a run at any other club.

Gold coast have been team Gary ablett for a while, now Swallow, Martin, Prestia, O'meara and co have developed watching first hand one of the greats of the games training habbits, picking their brain and so on, that's what we haven't had probably for the best part of 10 years, a genuine superstar

I don't think you'd need to interview Martin for his problems to already be obvious.

Even Richmond were better prepared to manage his welfare and tendencies than we were.

I think you would have no idea unless you spoke to him directly via an interview. To think otherwise is negligent. its just ignorant to judge a player without even giving them a chance via interview. Now look at us, one player has left and the other is dwindling in the VFL while Martin is tearing it up.

Your the one in the cloud if you think we did the right thing and came out on top here.

I think you would have no idea unless you spoke to him directly via an interview. To think otherwise is negligent. its just ignorant to judge a player without even giving them a chance via interview. Now look at us, one player has left and the other is dwindling in the VFL while Martin is tearing it up.

Your the one in the cloud if you think we did the right thing and came out on top here.

It's abit like Boyd last year, if GWS had only pick 1 they wouldn't have bothered with anyone else, he was the obvious choice, Scully and Trengove were that for us, it's a shame they aren't doing brilliantly but at the time it was the obvious choice

It's abit like Boyd last year, if GWS had only pick 1 they wouldn't have bothered with anyone else, he was the obvious choice, Scully and Trengove were that for us, it's a shame they aren't doing brilliantly but at the time it was the obvious choice

Thats different as Boyd was the only KPP. If it was Boyd, Patton and Darling then I am pretty sure they wouldve interviewed all 3

Not really...

Thats different as Boyd was the only KPP. If it was Boyd, Patton and Darling then I am pretty sure they wouldve interviewed all 3

At the time of his draft, there is no way Darling would've seriously been considered a nuber 1 pick.

I also find it hard to believe that any club, including ours, wouldn't have had some form of discussion with potential draft picks at some stage throughout that year, whether in the form of a formal interview or an informal one.

That's not what i said at all, but i reckon we nearly have that as it is and it doesn't get us far, Jones, Garland (?), Frawley, Clark, Howe, and Hogan i reckon would all get a run at any other club.

Gold coast have been team Gary ablett for a while, now Swallow, Martin, Prestia, O'meara and co have developed watching first hand one of the greats of the games training habbits, picking their brain and so on, that's what we haven't had probably for the best part of 10 years, a genuine superstar

Corrected for reality's sake...

The sheer fact that you are putting Clark's name up there makes your argument very weak. Not trying to offend, but I prefer to look at current form - Clark hasn't played for 18 months, and on top of that, he's actually retired from the game.

Did you see vs Carlton when they were about to go down and he won a contest and kicked a goal which won them the game?

The game is over 4 quarters, and that goal had a lot to do with the defender failing to keep his feet. Martin needs to learn how to run out games

• Like 2

At the time of his draft, there is no way Darling would've seriously been considered a nuber 1 pick.

I also find it hard to believe that any club, including ours, wouldn't have had some form of discussion with potential draft picks at some stage throughout that year, whether in the form of a formal interview or an informal one.

The sheer fact that you are putting Clark's name up there makes your argument very weak. Not trying to offend, but I prefer to look at current form - Clark hasn't played for 18 months, and on top of that, he's actually retired from the game.

Darling was actually considered a top 2 in his respective draft prior to his altercation.

Totally agree. The tiges have done really well to keep him but by some accounts still very, very high maintenance. Imagine him at the dees with Moloney and Sylvia as his role models. Who on earth would have pulled him into line?

Edited by binman
  • Like 1

Darling was actually considered a top 2 in his respective draft prior to his altercation.

Don't let facts get in the way of BS, Darling dropped down the pecking order because of a big drop off in form in his draft year. He went from being outstanding at U/16 level to playing in the West Perth Seniors and struggled, he looked lazy had stopped growing and the recruiters started having doubts nothing to do with an altercation when he was king hit from behind and did nothing to instigate an argument (just another urban myth that has turned into a massive chinese whisper). Darling was picked by Meth Coast with their second pick in the draft that year and turned up to training thinking he was the new man, he was pulled into line very quickly and given an absolute rocket pre-christmas. The penny dropped and he started putting in the work required at this level.

But you keep thinking he was a top 2 pick prior to his altercation. The Suns had the first three pciks that year and had he been as highly rated as you claim they would have taken him the year before as they were entitled to do with an underage player (which they did with Bennell & Swallow) and played him in the VFL for a season before drafting him.

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 1

Don't let facts get in the way of BS, Darling dropped down the pecking order because of a big drop off in form in his draft year. He went from being outstanding at U/16 level to playing in the West Perth Seniors and struggled, he looked lazy had stopped growing and the recruiters started having doubts nothing to do with an altercation when he was king hit from behind and did nothing to instigate an argument (just another urban myth that has turned into a massive chinese whisper). Darling was picked by Meth Coast with their second pick in the draft that year and turned up to training thinking he was the new man, he was pulled into line very quickly and given an absolute rocket pre-christmas. The penny dropped and he started putting in the work required at this level.

But you keep thinking he was a top 2 pick prior to his altercation. The Suns had the first three pciks that year and had he been as highly rated as you claim they would have taken him the year before as they were entitled to do with an underage player (which they did with Bennell & Swallow) and played him in the VFL for a season before drafting him.

Ok then. I ll retype my post as it seems the point off it has been derailed abit.

I am sure if it were Boyd Patton or Watts as potential 1 2 and 3 they wouldve interviewed all 3.

• Like 2

What if all the character references you checked beforehand said the same thing?

Not sure what makes you think an interview would be able to change their minds.

"Tearing it up"? Pull the other one.

You just wish we had Martin so we could trade him for another draft pick.

• Like 1

But that's not what your point was, you said we have less than 2 players on our list that would get a game at a top side, a fully fit clark would get a game at Hawthorn or Fremantle, as would Hogan as would Howe, if he was the third or fourth forward in a side he'd be very dangerous.

but okay take Clark out and put Vince in, on current form, well besides last week but the rest of the season to date he's been very good

What if all the character references you checked beforehand said the same thing?

Not sure what makes you think an interview would be able to change their minds.

"Tearing it up"? Pull the other one.

You just wish we had Martin so we could trade him for another draft pick.

In contrast to what Trengove and Scully have done for us, yeah he's tearing it up.

If we are to beleive references and reports on players rather then checking ourselves it doesnt blow your mind as to why our drafting history is as it is.

But that's not what your point was, you said we have less than 2 players on our list that would get a game at a top side, a fully fit clark would get a game at Hawthorn or Fremantle, as would Hogan as would Howe, if he was the third or fourth forward in a side he'd be very dangerous.

but okay take Clark out and put Vince in, on current form, well besides last week but the rest of the season to date he's been very good

and how many games has mr hogan played.???????????????????????????????????????????

• Like 1

In contrast to what Trengove and Scully have done for us, yeah he's tearing it up.

If we are to beleive references and reports on players rather then checking ourselves it doesnt blow your mind as to why our drafting history is as it is.

Trengove and Scully were the obvious choices at 1 and 2 that year, just because we lost one and the other hasn't developed is totally irrelevant, we can't time travel forward and then go back and make a different call because Martin is probably the best of the three

Fyfe is the best player from his draft and he was pick 20 or something.

and how many games has mr hogan played.???????????????????????????????????????????

I get he has played no games Jazza, but freo desperate for a second forward target would play him if he was on their list, as would Hawthorn as a second tall forward behind Roughead.

I get he has played no games Jazza, but freo desperate for a second forward target would play him if he was on their list, as would Hawthorn as a second tall forward behind Roughead.

horse, gate, bolted

the original question was who on our list would get a game in a top 4 side, in my opinion he would.

yeah, thats fair enough.

the original question was who on our list would get a game in a top 4 side, in my opinion he would.

I probably worded the original question/statement wrong, and apologise for the confusion. I was meaning the top sides as a collective, rather than just picking one side. Rivers is a great example, he looks a required player at Geelong, but there wouldn't be too many other sides that he would get a game at. This is based on needs.

Howe would not, in general, be a starting 22 player in most sides, especially on this year's form (and let's face it, he wasn't anywhere near consistent enough last year that would earn him a regular spot at a good side), which is all I can go on, hence why I crossed Clark off your list. Hogan hasn't played a game, so I struggle to believe he would be a certain starter in the top sides - 1 side maybe, but not as a collective. Vince has been good for us, but I can't see who he would force out of a Geelong or Fremantle midfield. Garland could be vaulable to some of the top clubs, but not all. Jones is the only one who would walk in to any side's midfield immediately.

I didn't intentionally shift the goal posts to suit my argument, again I apologise for the confusion.