DEVIL OF A TIME - Match Preview and Team Selection

Demonland

I personally never gloat in the misfortunes of guys who are willing to work their butt off for the benefit of the club plus run hard and attack the ball when playing for the team. Especially when so many others of late haven't done that.

But I do agree Trengove will benefit from some time in the reserves if managed correctly. The first thing that needs to be addressed is how to get him to play good footy whilst limited by his speed. What I'd be doing is planting him square in the centre and developing his confidence in his inside game. Plus also working on his quickness to hide his speed. By that I mean he has to run learn how to change directions, stop and prop, push off etc so that he's not exploited for pace.

• Like 3

Someone should give our recruiters a medal!

20/20 hindsight.

What about Port that wanted to trade picks 8&9 to us for pick 2 so they could get him?

He was highly rated and still would be if he wasn't running in cement boots.

Buggered if I can figure out why though.

He hasn't always been like this.

• Like 2

20/20 hindsight.

What about Port that wanted to trade picks 8&9 to us for pick 2 so they could get him?

He was highly rated and still would be if he wasn't running in cement boots.

Buggered if I can figure out why though.

He hasn't always been like this.

It's really strange that Toumpas has also lost the pace he used to have

It's really strange that Toumpas has also lost the pace he used to have

He never had explosive pace, so I'm not sure what you're judging it on.

I remember him being caught by a lumbering ruck man in his SA premiership win.

Long overdue & a shame.... not his fault

Our past develop & culture allowed too many kids to get games too easy & not made to earn it!

Instead of developing him... Neeld put the pressure of captaincy... FFS!

Would this have occurred @ swans, hawks, coll??

Evans and Kent are great Ins. Really hopeful Evans delivers.

Will Kent go through the forward line?

I think Kent will probably be the sub but I hope it's Byrnes.

I'd like to try Kent and JKH playing the small forward roles compared to Byrnes and Toumpas. They offer much more excitement I think and are better natural players in that role.

Rosa and Gaff cut us up as wingman last week. Watts stays in but others who spent time on the wing - Toumpas, Trengove and Michie have been replaced.

There is a chance JT will play. Someone may pull out. Seen in the past when a rated player is dropped to emergency only to get a last minute reprieve. Lets see who runs out on Sunday.

Still a strong statement from Roos. Last season when there were calls for him to be dropped he was put out injured or rested or whatever.

Edited by america de cali

I reckon Evans is very underrated, i see him as having the ability to be a best 22 mid for us for a long time

I think he's bordering on overrated by us due to us having no good midfielders last year. He's pretty hard at it and seems to run hard and might just have a bit of x factor about him but really he hasn't found a lot of the footy, isn't a great kick, isn't tall. I'm hoping he steps it up but he's very much still on the cusp of showing enough to really be persevered with. Big year for him, glad he's got an opportunity and I hope he takes it.

• Like 2

Also:
Evans > Trengove

Viney > Michie (over first few steps anyway)

Kent > Toumpas

Definitely trying to up the pace in the team to help ball movement. Downside is we probably lose fitness, but we are coming up against a young team who have lots of speed but ran out of puff at the end of quarters last week against the saints anyway.

Trengove should watch some Jobe Watson or Jimmy Bartel tapes to see how those players can play fast despite lack of leg speed

• Like 2

All i had been hearing was he was training really strongly, trained with the main group, was probably right for seniors but wanted him to have a week in the 2's and boom he's not named at all lol

Misson clearly said that he had to get through two training sessions this week before being named anywhere.

• Like 1

Wow didn't expect them to pull the trigger on Trenners but I think it's a good move as long as he's not one of the emergencies for the GWS game. No point in dropping him if he can't gain confidence, that was something I got genuinely [censored] off about with the old regime was they'd drop people but not play them in the VFL.

• Like 1

He needs to improve his pace/acceleration/agility if he is going to make it as even a middle tier AFL player. These are hard areas to improve, whether he is playing in the firsts or at Casey.

My best case scenario is that they come out of nowhere and say Jack is struggling with an ongoing hip injury and is sitting out the rest of year, would at least give me hope something might improve.

Trenners had to go. Strong call from Roosy. Still dubious on Michie being left out but Kent and Evans are good ins. Can't wait to see Viney and Tyson together in the middle. A little glimpse of hope for the future.

• Like 1