Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

Was that before he got stab in the back by all his mates?

Yes he was Coach of the Centurions football team at the time. The year before they were investigated for throwing a chariot race to get a better horse in the next horse draft.

The final stabbing was from the CHB Brutus, hence the saying " et tu Brutus".

Is there any danger that the amateur historians here could stick to the topic please?

No

Have the betting agencies got wind of something???

http://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/australian-rules/afl

Essendon now at $15 for least amount of wins. Only us, saints and GWS attracting better odds. Brisbane equal.

Am told the odds were 100-1 just three months ago.

• Like 3

Centrebet don't appear to have caught on yet George but their odds are interesting:-

$4.75 Fremantle Sydney

$5.25 Hawthorn

$9.00 Geelong

$12.00 North Melbourne

$15.00 Richmond Collingwood

$17.00 Essendon West Coast

$26.00 Port Adelaide Adelaide Carlton

$67.00 Gold Coast

$81.00 Brisbane

$101.00 Western Bulldogs

$251.00 St. Kilda Melbourne

$501.00 Greater Western Sydney

They have Essendon line ball to make the eight at $17.00.

They're an infraction ... I mean a fraction too short for mine.

• Like 1

thats a stupid statement but I'm hardly surprised .

I put this in the context that old farts like myself have enjoyed sustained periods of Demonic success, whilst you poor young buggers haven't tasted it at all (though hopefully will very soon).

I put this in the context that old farts like myself have enjoyed sustained periods of Demonic success, whilst you poor young buggers haven't tasted it at all (though hopefully will very soon).

Here's to Old Farts mono.

Unfortunately, I fear the feeling will die with us.

Alas ... only the beginning of the end ... but a just result (for some), infractions will issue in the end and the lawyers will have a birthday. :lol:

ASADA hiring an ex judge sounds like they are trying to make their case watertight. Good on them (as long as we are not involved, of course ;) )

Alas ... only the beginning of the end ... but a just result (for some), infractions will issue in the end and the lawyers will have a birthday. :lol:

Agree. Still much water to flow under the bridge on this.

It seems like a sensible decision to do this. It's timing is also good to alleviate the cries of "Nothing is happening!" As we approach the 1 year anniversary of the Govt/ ACC announcement.

I also note that ASADA had to go to the Fed Govt to fund this seemingly sensible move. Are they that resource limited?? Goes some way to explaining why they initially did a joint AFL/ ASADA investigation at the start.

• Like 1

We are, we have had 2 players named in Trenners and the Mo man.

Well if its only those 2 and they happen to be banned , it wont even affect us.

Bombers on the other hand may have 20 odd players suspended,. Hopefully anyway

Well if its only those 2 and they happen to be banned , it wont even affect us.

Bombers on the other hand may have 20 odd players suspended,. Hopefully anyway

Good point. Dunn hasn't done much and wont be around much longer and if Trengove is as slow as last season he wont be missed.

Good point. Dunn hasn't done much and wont be around much longer and if Trengove is as slow as last season he wont be missed.

Its a shallow view. If a player (Club employee) no matter their ability has been compromised by the unprofessional conduct of one or more senior persons at a Club its a pathetic outcome that in no way should be condoned or dismissed easily.

In particular to a player like Trengove who has already been treated poorly by the Club with the ill conceived captaincy position. Havent we mishandled his development enough?

• Like 1

Are you saying the street price of cocaine will rise?

No but I've always believed that at some point in time as the investigation nears the end game, the lawyers would have to be called in.

Look at the players in this scenario - Little, Hird (x2), the AFL, the EFC, Doc Reid, Dank, the Weapon and an unknown number of players - my guess, at least a dozen. Many are no strangers to litigation and, in Little's case the law is often an important tool in his tactical battles. The future of a football club is at stake along with the administrators, coaches, professional footballers, all possibly fighting for survival.

Against them, a strongly circumstantial case with no positive tests and the direct evidence of what the players ingested, purposely hidden away and nobody seems to want to know where. Also against them, the unusual situation where charges will be laid under a code that takes precedence over the sovereign law. Criminal authorities, Worksafe and player managers lurking in the background ready to wave Writs and Orders if necessary.

Smart move by ASADA to bring in a judge who is well versed in administrative law. They should only have been so smart when the idea came into someone's head about conducting a joint investigation with the AFL to the interim report stage. Anyway, it's not a good sign for the Bombers and their beleaguered players.

As for our players, it's not a good sign either but whatever happens, we need to determine exactly what happened and face up to consequences if we have done wrong (and I haven't seen enough to convince me either way yet). Hopefully, it's not turned into another tacky political fight which is the usual way of things around here.

• Like 1

Its a shallow view. If a player (Club employee) no matter their ability has been compromised by the unprofessional conduct of one or more senior persons at a Club its a pathetic outcome that in no way should be condoned or dismissed easily.

In particular to a player like Trengove who has already been treated poorly by the Club with the ill conceived captaincy position. Havent we mishandled his development enough?

Not as shallow as the cynical approach to drug taking that has been going on for years. Frankly I don't want to see yet another drama involving us. I hope this episode passes as painlessly as possible. It the worst comes it won't set us back as the disasters of the past few years. Those senior persons that may have engaged in unprofessional conduct are now gone and the players if guilty have to face the consequences of their actions.

Big article on the back page of todays HUN.

Federal Government has a retired Judge investigating why it is all taking so long

Also commented "why has Dank not been interviewed"

It makes a claim that one reason maybe the problem of if AOD.... was legal or not at the time.

I have smelt this coming for sometime!

• Like 1

seriously,

""ASADA's investigative process has been ongoing for nearly a year and is of unprecedented complexity," Dutton said yesterday.

"In light of this, it is appropriate that a suitably qualified person be engaged to assist ASADA as the investigations approach conclusion"

does not in any way equal

A RETIRED Federal Court judge has been called in to investigate ASADA's glacial probe into drugs in sport - a year since it was dubbed "the darkest day".

Justice Garry Downes will conduct a thorough review of the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority's probe

having said that, i do like the usage of the word glacial. glaciers might go slowly but they stop for no one and totally change the landscape!

• Like 3