Priority Pick Hypothetical

Machsy

Not too sure how you believe the priority will be infront of GWS who will finish last?

That's why it's called priority, it has priority over the other picks. I would be very surprised if we don't get the first pick in this draft.

• Like 3

Barrett is a [censored], but I don't disagree with with the point we did this toi ourselves, but do you know what we aren't the first club to completely stuff up a period of drafting, look at Richmond, they had every chance through the early mid 2000's but stuffed up, through early draft draft picks and yes further priority picks they have rebuilt the rebuild and will play finals. Carlton was the biggest draft rort in history, they found a loop hole in there salary cap breach sanctions and were able to have priority picks even knowing they lost there first round picks due to these sanctions.

We stuffed up, no one is arguing that but we can't punnish the current administration and future footy department on past stuff ups. It needs to be on its current merit and the likelyhood is we will win 6 games in two years, under the intial system we would have had a priority pick last year and this year at the start of the draft, under the next system we would have received end of first round pick last year and pick 1 this year. The system was changed due to teams having one bad year, this change happened when we started going south, then we still keep sliding further and the AFL change the rules again.

I'm not a fan of priority picks but we need as much assistance as we can can get.

Just re-hashing the idea of a priority pick hypothetical trade for MFC, give your thoughts on whether this trade scenario would be fair to all clubs involved?

*assuming that all players involved are willing to be traded*

Multi Club Trade
- MFC send Pick 1 to Carlton and pick 20 to Essendon
- Carlton sends pick 9 and Warnock to GWS, sends Yarran to Essendon, and pick 29 and Robinson to MFC
- Essendon sends Bellchambers and pick 14 to GWS
- GWS sends Taylor Adams to MFC and Pick 3 to Adelaide
- Adelaide sends Rory Sloane to MFC
Essentially:
MFCtrade_zps7e574924.png?t=1376649010
PS: go easy on the new guy ;)

Let me say first of all - we wont get pick 1 and if we did I wouldn't trade it but taking your overall premise ...

Horrible deal for Carlton.

Too good for MFC and GWS.

Why do GWS want Bellchambers AND Warnock?

Drop MFC losing 20 and gaining 29 and Robinson, add MFC losing 38 = 1 and 38 for Adams and Sloane

Drop Carlton losing 29 and Warnock = 9, Yarran, Robinson for 1

Drop Essendon losing 14 and gaining 20 = Bellchambers for Yarran

Drop GWS gaining 14 and Warnock, add GWS gaining Robinson = Adams and 3 for 9, 38, Robinson and Bellchambers

Adelaide deal OK - Sloane for 3

Edited by Fifty-5

Hypothetical

Would, could, should this work?

Pick 2 to Adelaide in exchange for Crouch

The rationale being:

1) Adelaide have no early draft picks

2) Adelaide would be guaranteed home town boy James Aish

3) Adelaide get a gun mid (unproven)

3) Melbourne get a proven mid (well, I've seen enough) and gun in the making with 2 years in the system and 1 year at AFL level.

4) No go home factor

Would Adelaide do it?

Could we do the equivalent with Port with say Wines. IMO Wines is good but not that good and he's no Crouch

Reminder - hypothetical

Hypothetical

Would, could, should this work?

Pick 2 to Adelaide in exchange for Crouch

The rationale being:

1) Adelaide have no early draft picks

2) Adelaide would be guaranteed home town boy James Aish

3) Adelaide get a gun mid (unproven)

3) Melbourne get a proven mid (well, I've seen enough) and gun in the making with 2 years in the system and 1 year at AFL level.

4) No go home factor

Would Adelaide do it?

Could we do the equivalent with Port with say Wines. IMO Wines is good but not that good and he's no Crouch

Reminder - hypothetical

No they won't do it but yes I would. Crouch is a gun, his brother will be to and he's in this draft.

The #1 pick cant just buy any player in a trade. Established gun players are priceless, whilst picks are speculative and never ever certainties.

Yep, agree. Clubs will not give up their gun players for picks, we need to use our top picks ourselves and look at free agents or disaffected players to boost our midfield stocks.

I asked this in the other thread, but can the AFL give us PP no 1 but make us on-trade it for current player/s (not picks)?

They can do whatever they like. I'd like to challenge anyone on Demonland to share a link that outlines the criteria they AFL use to assess the allocation of priority picks. It really is quite absurd.

Assuming we get a priority pick of some form where would it be? i am thinking we might get pick 2 & 3 if we finish 17th and 1 & 2 if we finish last.

I'd spend a lot of time finding out who the Swans intend to pick in the rookie draft and pick every one of those players.

In fact, I'd also find out who the likes of Hawthorn, Sydney and Collingwood would select with pick 2 and every other draft pick that we have, and then pick every one of those players.

I'd also find out which of the players on our list the likes of Sydney and Hawthorn rate, and then offer them all 5 year deals.

It's the only way forward.

I'd spend a lot of time finding out who the Swans intend to pick in the rookie draft and pick every one of those players.

In fact, I'd also find out who the likes of Hawthorn, Sydney and Collingwood would select with pick 2 and every other draft pick that we have, and then pick every one of those players.

I'd also find out which of the players on our list the likes of Sydney and Hawthorn rate, and then offer them all 5 year deals.

It's the only way forward.

Sydney have stuffed up a lot of their recent higher picks, it's in the later rounds they pick up stars somehow.

Sydney have stuffed up a lot of their recent higher picks, it's in the later rounds they pick up stars somehow.

Since 2009, I think they've had only two top 20 picks. And I hardly think Gary Rohan and Lewis Jetta have been stuff ups.

I shudder to think how many top 20 picks we've stuffed up in that time.

• Like 2

Since 2009, I think they've had only two top 20 picks. And I hardly think Gary Rohan and Lewis Jetta have been stuff ups.

I shudder to think how many top 20 picks we've stuffed up in that time.

Yes we've stuffed up massively, but players like Veszpremi, Johnston, O'Keefe and Lamb weren't great 1st round picks for them either.

Johnston has taken time to mature, but looks ready at Adelaide.

Lamb is also getting games now in a top 4 team heading into finals.

Culture helps.

Re: priority picks, I really like the idea of giving us a minidraft.

It worked well for GWS.

In fact, I can't figure out why they got such a clear extra advantage that GCS never had.

But with the 2014 draft supposedly being deeper than this year for talent, those picks would be very handy.

Mini-pick 1 to GWS for Adams & their mid-1st round pick? Yes please.

Johnston has taken time to mature, but looks ready at Adelaide.

Lamb is also getting games now in a top 4 team heading into finals.

Culture helps.

Re: priority picks, I really like the idea of giving us a minidraft.

It worked well for GWS.

In fact, I can't figure out why they got such a clear extra advantage that GCS never had.

But with the 2014 draft supposedly being deeper than this year for talent, those picks would be very handy.

Mini-pick 1 to GWS for Adams & their mid-1st round pick? Yes please.

Mini draft takes time to get going. Previous mini drafts had players nominating early, giving clubs time to check them out. IMO it is too late in the season to get a mini draft up and going.

No way in hell will melbourne get a mini draft. Wtf are you smoking? We got ourselves into this [censored]. I want to see us grow a back bone and get us out of it. I think its time the MFC earnt some respect

No way in hell will melbourne get a mini draft. Wtf are you smoking? We got ourselves into this [censored]. I want to see us grow a back bone and get us out of it. I think its time the MFC earnt some respect

No but we will get a priority pick.

• Like 1

This is a real test for the AFL, they have bigger issues to deal with at present but as soon as the Essendon saga is completed this will need to be on the commissions agenda.

The questions are and the history is that you can't take past actions into account

Does winning 2 games and losing in the fashion we have deserve a priority pick?

Does winning 6 games in 2 years deserve a priority pick?

Does the MFC have a list that can see it improve dramatically to be at least competitive next year?

Does the MFC have a list that is capable to be pushing for the top 8 in 3 years?

Can the AFL afford to have a club with little hope falling memberships low match day attendances continue to play at the MCG?

The last question is a big issue, every club wants to play at the MCG, we get to play there because we always have and it is our home ground, it has been for over 150 years we help build the club to what it is. But history is just that, we can't average 22,000 at the MCG, we can't have 33K members and we can't be the laughing stock of the AFL.

The AFL is in a real bind, the founding club is a complete basket case with basically a VFL standard list, no money, supporters dropping off, no Victorian club wants to play us as a home game, we get the interstate clubs as home games because they have to get to play on the MCG at least once per year.

Do we need a priority pick yes we do no question

Do we deserve a Priority pick Yes we do the light is so dim we need some sort of hope

Will we get a priority pick No, the AFL is to gutless to give us one and if they did it won't be pick 1, it will be end of first round.