Our midfield - how many are AFL standard?

Travis Boots

I can only think of N.Jones and Col (when he can be arsed)

Viney will become a jet and ive seen enough from Toumpas to see that he will become a very good player. Reminds me of Chad Wingards progression. Was "ok" in patches last season and has taken his game to a new level. Hopefully Toump will have the same path.

Other than these 4 and possibly M.jones i just dont see it. Trengove has been average at best (really hoping its OP and not his ability. Taking into consideration Terlich/Grimes would rotate the the mid in patches we still need 7-8 new mids of which we would need at least 2-3 to become genuine guns. It would be wishful to think anything other than it taking another 3-4 years before we have the required standard in the midfield to compliment our strengths in fwd line/ defence.

Hopefully Taylor/Viney can perform the Geelong miracle of 01 with our selections this year.

Would be nice to see us making plays for Pearce Hanley and Taylor Adams in the off season especially if one of them could be taken in the PSD if they agreed to come over.

Thoughts?

This morning's Hun has us as one of the AFL Clubs likely to make a play for Taylor Adams (however it also quotes him as making some good friends in Sydney and it is not certain that he will leave). The paper also says that Dayle Garlett is likely to be heavily sought-after in this year's draft with one recruiter describing him as the best player, playing outside of the AFL. Thoughts on Garlett?

This morning's Hun has us as one of the AFL Clubs likely to make a play for Taylor Adams (however it also quotes him as making some good friends in Sydney and it is not certain that he will leave). The paper also says that Dayle Garlett is likely to be heavily sought-after in this year's draft with one recruiter describing him as the best player, playing outside of the AFL. Thoughts on Garlett?

Pennant St Dee has been keeping demonland updated on Garlett's WAFL season in the draft/trade forum.

For what its worth i think he's got all the tools and would be able o do well at AFL level, however its clear he has attitude and discipline issues so its just a matter of which club values his talent the most and is willing to pick him with a relitivley early selection IMO.

N Jones. Absolutely AFL standard. B+ player who could be A grade

Viney. Will probably we A grade in the Scott West category.

Toumpas. Will be a B - B+ midfielder

Evans. Might be a B grader, but he cannot stay injury free.

Sylvia. What a horrible waste of talent. A+ at best, C grade most of the time.

Trengove. B grade but sliding away. I still really believe in this bloke but something is wrong/missing.

Bail. Too many goes, too many injuries and a poor skill level. C grade.

Rodan. B+ at best, C- at worst. Gone at seasons end.

Blease. Could be anything but has not been developed. C- or D at present.

Other players like Tapscott, Kent, M Jones have not really been played as midfielders.

At best we have 1 current top line midfielder, 1 potential A grader, and 2 potential B - B+ midfielders. What a horrible outcome after 6+ years of high draft picks.

• Like 2

Pennant St Dee has been keeping demonland updated on Garlett's WAFL season in the draft/trade forum.

For what its worth i think he's got all the tools and would be able o do well at AFL level, however its clear he has attitude and discipline issues so its just a matter of which club values his talent the most and is willing to pick him with a relitivley early selection IMO.

Garlett will be another bargain pick up for either Fremantle or West Coast.

I heard a big part of his success and discipline this year has been due to living with his girlfriend's family. He'll probably be reluctant to leave that environment for Melbourne so we might see a drafting battle between the two Perth clubs.

Just my thoughts.

Garlett will be another bargain pick up for either Fremantle or West Coast.

I heard a big part of his success and discipline this year has been due to living with his girlfriend's family. He'll probably be reluctant to leave that environment for Melbourne so we might see a drafting battle between the two Perth clubs.

Just my thoughts.

Garlett wants to move to Melbourne and play in the AFL heartland next year. He is spending the week holidaying in Melbourne with his girlfriend.

"It’s a better lifestyle and there’s more opportunities. Melbourne’s a great place like Perth, my home,’’ he said yesterday.

The Herald Sun can reveal Richmond, North Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane Lions and Fremantle have already spoken to the 19-year-old.

Garlett wants to move to Melbourne and play in the AFL heartland next year. He is spending the week holidaying in Melbourne with his girlfriend.

"It’s a better lifestyle and there’s more opportunities. Melbourne’s a great place like Perth, my home,’’ he said yesterday.

The Herald Sun can reveal Richmond, North Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane Lions and Fremantle have already spoken to the 19-year-old.

eddie betts has settled and controlled the koori boys at cfc and made sure they are looked after and resettled with least amount of problems as can be

perhaps adavey can do the same for us

That's good to hear though the opportunity to play for a club in his 'home' town might be too attractive for him. I'm sure West Coast and Fremantle have approached him and know how to play the situation. We should definitely have a really good look at him though.

One in the form of Jones.

Two kids in Viney and Toumpas who are in there first season, too early to tell.

The rest are half forwards, backs and VFL standard players

Sad but true

• Like 1

eddie betts has settled and controlled the koori boys at cfc and made sure they are looked after and resettled with least amount of problems as can be

perhaps adavey can do the same for us

Well gee I hope we can develop Garlett to become the next Yarran.

Matty Whelan did the same thing for Aaron Davey who then did the same thing for all the rest of our boys including Wona and Jurrah who then unfortunately couldn't resist the pull of their communities under tragic situations with Wona having deaths in the family and we all know about Jurrah.

My point is when kids are troubled I don't have high hopes for their AFL careers regardless of their racial background. For every Michael Walters at Freo there's a Murray Newman at West Coast. I wouldn't invest a first round or second round and I'd even be careful with our third round pick on Garlett.