And now for The Junkyard Dog

Hi Reverend Glad to see you back.

Hard to sell this guy to Members and SponsorsI would have thought.

The upside ( admittedly a small one ) is he would probably be way cheaper than the others!

I haven't been away, I've just had little to say given our on-going lack of success. Hard to preach optimism in times like these. That doesn't mean I'm giving up the fight, just choosing the time and place to wage war against the apathetic and pessimistic.

I will return!

GO DEES!

So it appears that we don't need a coach that can take the club to the top but a coach who can sell the club to the supporters and sponsers. gee what a great idea, why don't we hire Tim Shaw that should please the masses!!

We need someone who can do a great job of both. Otherwise, 18 months down the track, all the critics on this forum will be baying for blood again. Neeld's biggest fault was an inability to sell the dream. This played a big part in his demise.

• Like 1

Contrary to others on here, I prefer Laidley to Craig and Eade. I think he's tactically superior and showed at the Roos he knows how to coach. Would still rather Williams, though. Would be ironic (probably not quite the right word) that if we don't get Roos we might instead get the Roo's coach.

Could be wrong, but my recollection of Laidley was that he was a 'B' class coach, but an 'A' class whinger.

I would sooner a coach that can coach not a salesman, there are not many coaches that can do both, for all that has been said about Neeld he has set the football department up the way it should run the next coach that comes in will not have to alter much.

As for "This played a big part in his demise" yes it did but a lot of that was because most supporters overrated our players and could not see the faults the players had, the lack of fitness but they think that only takes a year to fix, lack of skills and more importantly the massive lack of football nous that the players had, so again give me a coach not a salesman.

I would sooner a coach that can coach not a salesman, there are not many coaches that can do both, for all that has been said about Neeld he has set the football department up the way it should run the next coach that comes in will not have to alter much.

As for "This played a big part in his demise" yes it did but a lot of that was because most supporters overrated our players and could not see the faults the players had, the lack of fitness but they think that only takes a year to fix, lack of skills and more importantly the massive lack of football nous that the players had, so again give me a coach not a salesman.

The "salesman" aspect relates more to a coach's ability to sell the message to the players. No doubt our list is not up to the standard we all require at the present time, but my concern was not just the losses but the magnitude of those losses and how consistently they occurred. Neeld had lost the players in that regard and it is patently obvious he did.

Watts is a prime example. While still not setting the world on fire just yet, his current demeanour and body language is in stark contrast to what it was under Neeld. If Neeld had stayed Watts would have almost certainly walked at the end of the year, along with a few others.

There are coaches out there who are natural leaders of men. These people do not have to 'sell" outside the club. Their self-evident leadership skill naturally draws the marketing dollar.

The MFC is in great need of such a person as senior coach.

• Like 1

The "salesman" aspect relates more to a coach's ability to sell the message to the players. No doubt our list is not up to the standard we all require at the present time, but my concern was not just the losses but the magnitude of those losses and how consistently they occurred. Neeld had lost the players in that regard and it is patently obvious he did.

Watts is a prime example. While still not setting the world on fire just yet, his current demeanour and body language is in stark contrast to what it was under Neeld. If Neeld had stayed Watts would have almost certainly walked at the end of the year, along with a few others.

There are coaches out there who are natural leaders of men. These people do not have to 'sell" outside the club. Their self-evident leadership skill naturally draws the marketing dollar.

The MFC is in great need of such a person as senior coach.

I understand what your saying about selling the message to the players but some posts don't say that that's what I am answering IWS, as for players leaving who knows would they wouldn't they we would not really know for fact. But I do agree with you overall.

So it appears that we don't need a coach that can take the club to the top but a coach who can sell the club to the supporters and sponsers. gee what a great idea, why don't we hire Tim Shaw that should please the masses!!

once again the tone if your dribble is unnecessarily condescending and once again its based on a point that anyone who know footy would understand is bs. If laidley would have better success 'taking the club to the top' than a Rocket or Choco id shout you all beers.

We need someone who can do a great job of both. Otherwise, 18 months down the track, all the critics on this forum will be baying for blood again. Neeld's biggest fault was an inability to sell the dream. This played a big part in his demise.

that and making the team go backwards...

• Like 2

Sorry, but I can't find any posts that say "we don't need a coach that can take the club to the top".

...............but if we could find a coach who can do both, wouldn't that be the best of both worlds? ...... or do you think that the capacity of senior coach to inspire supporters, members and potential sponsors is completely irrelevant?.

FWIW, I think any of Roos, Williams or Eade would make a better fist of doing both than Laidley

I understand what your saying about selling the message to the players but some posts don't say that that's what I am answering IWS, as for players leaving who knows would they wouldn't they we would not really know for fact. But I do agree with you overall.

Now that you've had your say about other posts, do you have any views about Laidley as a potential senior coach at Melbourne?

once again the tone if your dribble is unnecessarily condescending and once again its based on a point that anyone who know footy would understand is bs. If laidley would have better success 'taking the club to the top' than a Rocket or Choco id shout you all beers.

"once again the tone if your dribble is unnecessarily condescending and once again its based on a point that anyone who know footy would understand is bs" want a second crack at this mate?........lol

Well we have six odd games to go (some more odd than others ^_^ ) which leaves a good month and a bit for the good ol' Dees to be loosely associated or interested in just about anyone still alive with any form of senior ability and success. Probably more headlines to concentrate on the senior more than the sucess :)

Ive nothing particular as to fors or against regarding Laidley. He strikes me as passioned and workmanlike. Im not sure he is the one to claw us back , not as the senior coach. He does however have a good working history with Choco. is this simply a case of our ever eager media getting their wires crossed a bit ? If we were looking to Choco as #1 maybe he has asked about Laidley . Who knows really.

I think you have to contain the search to senior experienced coaches with some sort of success at finals. Strangely Laidley could fir that criteria but I wouldnt rate his finals as being the crowning point. He does manage to extract quite a bit from otherwise less glamourous lists. Melbourne did go after him once before but that may simply offer a historical coincidence more than anything else to this writer

Then again it could all be just more smoke and mirrors as the 'game' continues. This week Laidley, next week who ? lol

Sorry, but I can't find any posts that say "we don't need a coach that can take the club to the top".

...............but if we could find a coach who can do both, wouldn't that be the best of both worlds? ...... or do you think that the capacity of senior coach to inspire supporters, members and potential sponsors is completely irrelevant?.

FWIW, I think any of Roos, Williams or Eade would make a better fist of doing both than Laidley

Now that you've had your say about other posts, do you have any views about Laidley as a potential senior coach at Melbourne?

How would you know the others would make a better fist of it than Laidley, us supporters hope that with Parkin and Jackson on board and the AFL in the background they pick a coach who will take us forward and if that was Laidley then so be it.

might be all just past of a ruse !!! ^_^

How would you know the others would make a better fist of it than Laidley, us supporters hope that with Parkin and Jackson on board and the AFL in the background they pick a coach who will take us forward and if that was Laidley then so be it.

Nice selective response 3165!

I don't know, but I expressed an opinion (which is what Demonland is about). I agree that the selection panel is best placed to make those judgements, and like you (and everyone else on here), I hope they get it right.

Eade or Williams is still my preference, and I'd also probably have Craig marginally ahead of him. But he did some very good things at an underfunded and under-rescourced club but with that thought pattern Neale Daniher should be in consideration.

I would have been more interested in Laidley whence last we looked for a coach. This time round Im hoping for Choco, settle ( happily ) for Roos and not disappointed ( though not overwhelmed by idea either ) of Eade.

make a good midfield coach for us though :)

Eade or Williams is still my preference, and I'd also probably have Craig marginally ahead of him. But he did some very good things at an underfunded and under-rescourced club but with that thought pattern Neale Daniher should be in consideration.

dont know that we are underfunded ? perhaps put our funds into unproductive uses or areas that didnt get adequate ROI or

under resourced ? I think we have a good collection of high draft picks perhaps just a little experience light and under developed and no mid field

It seems the ability to get the best from the reources use them wisely and respond to match day conditions is the key

Laidley appeared to have that ability so too Eade but Williams is the only one, Roos aside, to have taken the flag.

I reckon that is a major factor

I await the decision of whatever panel and their reasoning for appointment

If this happens, my family and I won't be renewing our membership.

Posts like this [censored] me off. If you're Melbourne, you're Melbourne. The club is bigger than any individual.

Anyhow, I think Laidley is of a similar vein to Neeld from the outside looking in. Doesn't seem highly personable and quite old fashioned.

Having Concluded both Neeld (Old fashioned, [censored] the players) & Bailey (Soft on the players, highly attacking) haven't worked, I think we find the middle man in Chocco Williams.

• Like 1

Posts like this [censored] me off. If you're Melbourne, you're Melbourne. The club is bigger than any individual.

Anyhow, I think Laidley is of a similar vein to Neeld from the outside looking in. Doesn't seem highly personable and quite old fashioned.

Having Concluded both Neeld (Old fashioned, [censored] the players) & Bailey (Soft on the players, highly attacking) haven't worked, I think we find the middle man in Chocco Williams.

The Yarra

This is our last chance to get this right. We will not be financed by the AFL forever, so we need to use the next 3 years to ensure we put the right people in place to get things moving forward, and to make us be able to stand on our own two feet. Hiring Laidley as head coach will not be a step in the right direction, especially down the path we need to take.

While we are funded by the AFL, we need to make sure we get the best there available for all positions. Given that Laidley is not in the Top 5 Best available coaches, and the fact that at least 1 of the Top 5 has publicly declared he wants to coach again (and given we will be the only team at the end of the season looking for a senior coach), it would be a terrible mistake to put Laidley in charge.

It's my opinion, and based on zero facts, but Laidley would be a bigger mistake than Neeld. (Nb. I said from bloody near day 1 that Neeld would be the next MFC premiership coach or the last coach of the MFC - I wasn't far wrong with the latter).

• Like 1

Amazing that we all hot and bother by a rumour put about by a football commentator in the HUN.

When similar were talking about us tanking most were saying they had no idea.

Now this guy is talking fact!

Hmm I suspect he has put 1 and 1 together and got 11.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1