Dominic Sheed

Lol - I was asked to write that by the guy next to me at work as a joke on someone he knows who reads this forum (and who was going to reply?).

by pure chance I'm Facebook friends with a school friend of Hogans. I have no idea if he is good friends with Dom or not but I can find out.

this guy tells me that sheed is a lock at pick 9 but he also told me other stuff that didn't pan out.

sorry guys :)

Is this guy the surest bet to be a 200 game midfielder at pick 9 ? He's tough, a good decision maker, a left footer, very good endurance, just a solid citizen. There may be players with more flair, pace, etc., and I'll be happy with whomever we pick, but I see merit in a strongly built tough young mid, who can play inside and out, that at worst be a really good player and at best a dominant onballer. Although there's a good chance Brisbane will take him at pick 7.

I understand our need for speed and am trying to reconcile that need with our other need for strong over the ball types that stand up in finals. Viney, Tyson and Sheed (all left footers) would dominate the centre square for the next 8-10 years.

None of Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis or Sewell are quick. But they were complimented by Smith, Rioli, Hill.

None of Kennedy, O'Keefe, McVeigh, Hannebery, who is decent, are overly quick, but they were complimented by Jetta and the athleticism of Goodes. They've also got Rohan coming back from injury.

None of Selwood, Bartel, Corey, Chapman, are quick, but they had Junior, Motlop, Varcoe who had some toe.

We do need speed, but in some ways I'd like to get the grunt sorted first, as the outside pace should be an easier problem to solve. And if the team starts to win some contested footy and SPREAD, SPREAD, SPREAD, then you seem quicker than you are with quality ball movement. Michie, Viney, Watts all have decent pace, but it's an area to address. Barry in time ?

But this is about pick 9. I'd be going for the best pure mid and Sheed would have to weigh heavily on Demon recruiters.

I agree BH, Sheed looks like the most likely "footballer" in the old school sense of the word. He was initially my favourite at pick 2 and I think his stocks were hindered by his shoulder injury at the champs. I swung to Freeman for a while there as I was attracted by his pace and his highlights looked pretty good (maybe not "silky smooth" but got the outcomes in regards to getting the ball where it needed to go) and the last couple of days I've been warming to Salem but overall I'm thinking Sheed is a guarantee to be a consistent long-term player who can hit the scorebaord and stand up in big games. He may not be a "game-breaker" type but will just be a consistent high possession getter who does the job week-in, week-out. He remains my favourite though I wouldn't be totally unhappy if we landed Freeman or Salem or even Scharenberg if he's still available.

I agree with you as well that the priority is to bed down the "contested ball winners" first and then complement them outside pace once that has been sorted.

• Like 1

His AFL highlights video is unimpressive. Seems to pump the ball long without picking shorter targets and there isn't enough video of any true in close stuff (he wont get 3m of space every time he gets the ball in the AFL). So really I have absolutely no positive footage to go off, not that there are huge negatives.

But the stats ie. production and the physical traits (good height and frame, decent athleticism) are all very good.

I really like Sheed and initially I thought he jumps out as the logical choice at 9 above Freeman and Salem but I just can't be certain.

I agree BH, Sheed looks like the most likely "footballer" in the old school sense of the word. He was initially my favourite at pick 2 and I think his stocks were hindered by his shoulder injury at the champs. I swung to Freeman for a while there as I was attracted by his pace and his highlights looked pretty good (maybe not "silky smooth" but got the outcomes in regards to getting the ball where it needed to go) and the last couple of days I've been warming to Salem but overall I'm thinking Sheed is a guarantee to be a consistent long-term player who can hit the scorebaord and stand up in big games. He may not be a "game-breaker" type but will just be a consistent high possession getter who does the job week-in, week-out. He remains my favourite though I wouldn't be totally unhappy if we landed Freeman or Salem or even Scharenberg if he's still available.

I agree with you as well that the priority is to bed down the "contested ball winners" first and then complement them outside pace once that has been sorted.

If anything, Sheed's broken collarbone may have helped him.

Less exposed form meant the hype just built.

I can't see him going top 10.

If anything, Sheed's broken collarbone may have helped him.

Less exposed form meant the hype just built.

I can't see him going top 10.

sam landsberger on twitter thinks West Coast is going Lennon over Sheed. He could head towards pick, could be a steal for Geelong or Sydney.