WELCOME TO DEMONLAND - PAUL ROOS

timmyo64

Hang experience!

What about looking at Adam Simpson? Gavin Brown? Alan Richardson?

And u may as well close up shop to.

We have tried the inexperienced coaches and that's worked really well!

We need EXPERIENCE not a newbie.

Don't mind them as assistants but not the big kahuna.

Edited by DemonOX

We dont want anyone at this juncture who hasnt coached at senior level. We cant /dont want anyone whos first focus is on proving themselves.

We need someone who is already comfortable ( sts ) at this level and can actually concentrate on developing the list and molding a competitive team.

Anyone else is a risk.

• Like 1

And u may as well close up shop to.

We have tried the inexperienced coaches and that's worked really well!

We need EXPERIENCE not a newbie.

Don't mind them as assistants but not the big kahuna.

DOX, you, like many others, were critical of Neeld's style, coaching, etc.

He's gone now, so I'm not going to harp on that.

I firmly believe that someone like a Gavin Brown will come into a club and exude almost instant respect from the playing group.

Tough, uncompromising footballer, kicked a big goal for the Pies to seal the granny in 1990 (after Daniher knocked him out) and played at the highest level for several years. He will really appeal to our youngsters.

Eade? Williams? Ratten??? (biggest joke ever) That old stock? Not for me. Sorry.

One more thing on Neeld....once he was ousted, Craig should have gone with him.

DOX, you, like many others, were critical of Neeld's style, coaching, etc.

He's gone now, so I'm not going to harp on that.

I firmly believe that someone like a Gavin Brown will come into a club and exude almost instant respect from the playing group.

Tough, uncompromising footballer, kicked a big goal for the Pies to seal the granny in 1990 (after Daniher knocked him out) and played at the highest level for several years. He will really appeal to our youngsters.

Eade? Williams? Ratten??? (biggest joke ever) That old stock? Not for me. Sorry.

One more thing on Neeld....once he was ousted, Craig should have gone with him.

Eade and more so Williams have runs on he board and IMO we simply cannot risk an untried.

As I said previously would have them as an assistant with the view of taking on the senior role in the future.

As for Neeld well let's not go there.

In regards to Ratten I agree no thanks

As another aspect I think its important as a club that we convey to the players the idea that we are really intent on lifting our game as as proof we arent 'experimenting" any more with an untried ( no matter how nice and shiny they look ) we have gone and got a REAL coach., we value you as players and feel you need this.

I have to admit if I were a player on a list of a club where all I ever saw was a procession of untrieds resulting in failure Id be less than impressed if they were thinking of serving up the same.

The club needs to be fair dinkum, the players need to respond likewise.

Im not really keen on a 'succession ' plan either. I just want a coach who's able who can be there ( all things equal) for the duration Im not keen on someone with one eye already on the door.

I have my preference but could live with others.

• Like 2

Terrific if that's the case. But if its not we should move on.

What exactly does "move on" mean?

Do you think PJ is sitting in a room building a shrine to Roos?

Ignoring all other possibilities, waiting til Sept 20 for one last ditch attempt, with a fallback plan of calling both Eade & Williams only if and when Roos says "definitely NO"?

There's a bloody process in place.

A coach selection board has been formed.

Stop and think.

• Like 2

And, with all due respect Nasher, he doesn't constantly demean and belittle mods anywhere near as much as he attempts to do to the rest of us. Civility and manners are not one of BH's strong points, unless the recipient is a mod.

If you made a modicum of sense you wouldn't even know my name.

I think he would probably develop a new game plan based around the strengths of our list.

Many seem to only associate Roos with negative football, yet towards the end of his tenure, the Swans were playing some very exciting football; he is very adaptable and definitely NOT a one trick pony.

• Like 2

Many seem to only associate Roos with negative football, yet towards the end of his tenure, the Swans were playing some very exciting football; he is very adaptable and definitely NOT a one trick pony.

Winning a premiership would have been pretty exciting as well.

• Like 4

i don't care what anyone says - as someone who used to go see the swans on a regular basis at the scg and stadium australia during roos' tenure they were incredibly exciting to watch.

quick ball movement off half back through the run and dare of the likes of barry, kennelly, et al, a big power forward in hall, a smart mid-sized forward in o'loughlin, and in adam goodes one of the best players of the era. they had a blue-collar midfield who worked incredibly hard for one another.

this is why i want roos; i believe he instils a real team ethic in a group of average players to the point where they were able to win their first premiership in 72 years. as i've said before, i also think he brings a 'whole of club' mentality; people i know who worked at the swans say that he was a brilliant communicator with all levels of the business.

• Like 8

Why are there people still complaining that Roos' game style is ugly to watch? For one, he'd be pushing a different style now. It's 2013, not 2005 or 2010. It would be on the back though of strong, hard running, fierceness at the ball, discipline and courage. What horrible traits to have. And secondly, if Roos got us winning, yes, that's right. I said winning, not one MFC supporter should give a toss about the game style. That is the aim of the game. We have witnessed seven seasons of absolute crap. How about choosing to win for a change?

• Like 3

i don't care what anyone says - as someone who used to go see the swans on a regular basis at the scg and stadium australia during roos' tenure they were incredibly exciting to watch.

quick ball movement off half back through the run and dare of the likes of barry, kennelly, et al, a big power forward in hall, a smart mid-sized forward in o'loughlin, and in adam goodes one of the best players of the era. they had a blue-collar midfield who worked incredibly hard for one another.

this is why i want roos; i believe he instils a real team ethic in a group of average players to the point where they were able to win their first premiership in 72 years. as i've said before, i also think he brings a 'whole of club' mentality; people i know who worked at the swans say that he was a brilliant communicator with all levels of the business.

Well said DA. He also, along with his dedicated support staff, instilled a culture of belief in a team ethic. Such a culture has seen what appeared to be also rans at the previous clubs, turn into solid performing AFL footballers, such as Ben McGlynn, Marty Mattner, Ted Richards, Shane Mumford and Rhyce Shaw. Not to mention a Canadian former Rugby player by the name of Mike Pyke

Yeah he turns the midfield into a real slog but he does like attacking half back flankers to run and use the ball well. He'd use Jones and Viney to anchor the midfield he's just going to have to find 3 or 4 more pretty quickly! McKenzie could come back into the fold under Roos. I think he'd like Evans and Matt Jones if he got some more size and defense into his game. I'm not sure where he'll find a Goodes though. I don't mean in terms of that unique athlete for size that makes his so good but he'd need a game changer in the midfield somewhere.

Why are there people still complaining that Roos' game style is ugly to watch? For one, he'd be pushing a different style now. It's 2013, not 2005 or 2010. It would be on the back though of strong, hard running, fierceness at the ball, discipline and courage. What horrible traits to have. And secondly, if Roos got us winning, yes, that's right. I said winning, not one MFC supporter should give a toss about the game style. That is the aim of the game. We have witnessed seven seasons of absolute crap. How about choosing to win for a change?

I much prefer Roosy's gamestyle to malthouse's... & lyons.

The swans & Cats gamestyles are my preferred. there is hard ball won, bring back the contested physical footy!!!

• Like 1

I can't believe that some people on here are still in favour of an untried coach.

It cannot happen. After 2 absolute failures the club is in recievership right now.

We need an experienced coach who will bring more than hope.

We need guarranteed action. The TV deal cannot have another year of dead matches that nobody watches.

Please understand this. The TV Networks are not pleased, selling advertising space for a Melbourne game right now is very slow and cheap.

The are losing money.

• Like 2

I can't believe that some people on here are still in favour of an untried coach.

It cannot happen. After 2 absolute failures the club is in recievership right now.

We need guarranteed action. The TV deal cannot have another year of dead matches that nobody watches.

Please understand this. The TV Networks are not pleased, selling advertising space for a Melbourne game right now is very slow and cheap.

The are losing money.

So you think we should turn on the TV when Melbourne are playing even if we are not going to watch it?

Would still rather watch Melbourne get thrashed over having to sit down and watch the X factor or Big Brother.

The are losing money.

You have my vote wyl

I would have thought you would have to give it away.

You know how it works wyl

The channel says to an advertiser Take ten slots on the Hawthorn / Geelong game and we will throw in five Melbourne games for free!

So you think we should turn on the TV when Melbourne are playing even if we are not going to watch it?

Would still rather watch Melbourne get thrashed over having to sit down and watch the X factor or Big Brother.

You can do what you like. Personally i would watch HBO or Breaking Bad rather than Melbourne getting smashed every week or even old John Northey coached games. They were real football matches. The past 2 boards & coaches have put this club on life support.

THE REALITY is that the AFL viewing audience is not watching games Melbourne are involved in because we are that bad.

PJ was headhunted by the AFL for us, to get this mess sorted.

We will be competitive & thus cannot punt on an untried coach.

• Like 2

Appointing the right coach is absolutely imperative for contributing to build a football club's traits such as culture, belief, work ethic, discipline etc etc. There is no arguing that.

However, what is equally important, is drafting and trading for the kinds of players who will absolutely take to these principles and structures that are set in place and pick this club out of the hole it's in, thrusting it straight back up to where it needs to be. This is about drafting smart, hungry, desperate and skilled footballers and weeding out current players who are victims of the current environment and who cannot and will not respond to any sort of coach.

When I watch James Frawley play, I think to myself, "Wow, here's a guy who just doesn't have the awareness or consciousness to be able to grab this group by the scruff and take them forward". Now, James has been absolutely blessed when it comes to his physical build, speed, agility and (most of the time), footballing skills. When it comes to his capacity to think, his awareness and his level of consciousness, he really falls behind. This is about having a holistic understanding of what it takes to be a leader amongst men and building a strong and successful footy club with people and players who have a consciousness bigger than the size of a golf ball. Tom Harley is someone who has left a legacy at the cats. He and Frawley have a very similar physical attributes, however one helped transform a club. Frawley is simply another sheep, happy to beat his man, not have much to say, not care to inspire nor willing to change his ways. He can't. He is a victim of the MFC's environment and he has a limited capacity to think.

He is one example. I'm not having a pot shot. He is one of many who are sick and dumb. Sylvia, Jamar, Davey, Dunn. These players all suffer from the same thing to varying degrees and the more players you draft in with limited capacities to think and who are expected to be inspired by the above crop of players will also suffer. That is strictly a recruiting problem though.

We could go further back to the days of Yze, Robbo, White etc who also saw AFL as just a kick in the park but I won't go into it.

It's top down stuff and we've heard it all before.

Coach, board, recruitment, development, and players are all as important as each other.

If we got Paul Roos tomorrow and had the same list, I would be confident to say we would still lose to the Suns on the weekend.

The problems at MFC run deep. Stop neglecting the deep, psychological complexities that most of the playing group suffer from. No coach can change conditioning.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 4

When I watch James Frawley play, I think to myself, "Wow, here's a guy who just doesn't have the awareness or consciousness to be able to grab this group by the scruff and take them forward". Now, James has been absolutely blessed when it comes to his physical build, speed, agility and (most of the time), footballing skills. When it comes to his capacity to think, his awareness and his level of consciousness, he really falls behind. This is about having a holistic understanding of what it takes to be a leader amongst men and building a strong and successful footy club with people and players who have a consciousness bigger than the size of a golf ball. Tom Harley is someone who has left a legacy at the cats. He and Frawley have a very similar physical attributes, however one helped transform a club. Frawley is simply another sheep, happy to beat his man, not have much to say, not care to inspire nor willing to change his ways. He can't. He is a victim of the MFC's environment and he has a limited capacity to think.

Players "get it" at different times. It also helps if you have others to bounce off. Matty Scarlett was on 3AW last night and admitted that the penny didn't drop for him until he was 25 and thankfully there were a couple of others that shared his determination to make a change.

How old is Frawley and who has he had to bounce off ? Garland and Jones maybe, among a dysfunctional environment. That's about it. I wouldn't blame Frawley too much for our predicament.

• Like 2