Some light at the end of the tunnel

Ted Lasso

It appears to be led by Pastor Stuie, who seems to adhere to the stimulating formula that quantity kills off quality. In some respects, the formula works, because good threads quickly become un-followable and quality posts and debate are now being lost amidst the child-like "[censored] for tat" diatribe.

Hmmmm find this a bit hypocritical. Calling people names while complaining about the "[censored] for tat"? Posting a huge post while complaining about "quantity"?

For what it's worth I enjoyed reading most of your post even if I don't agree with all of it. You should try reading my actual posts if you're going to assign a label to me.

The thing about Stuie... he and Range Rover argued ceaselessly, but maybe they aren't so different. Father and son perhaps? A star wars situation?

Yes a good post Ron.

What if Stuie and RR are not father and son but actually the same person..... scary thought.

Multiple personality disorder? Not impossible but yes, scary

Little bit ironic to support a post about personal posts by putting up personal posts....

One question I have is, 'how come Port have the fitness to fight back and win games with only one pre season under their new fitness coach'?

...and of course the follow up is 'how come we need 3 years'?

This is not a judgement call, I'm interested in opinions on this. Misson has a good reputation so what is the difference here, Port seem to have a young list too so this can't be the reason, surely their fitness base couldn't have been that much more advanced than ours, Bailey came out of the Port system.

What gives?

I think they have set themselves to match collingwood in this regard in three years, which they would consider to be an elite level program, the thing being that for us to be three years off that means bailey would have had his own program that clearly was not up to scratch

such a tough pre season training could well be a factor in the players looking so sluggish, it may just be that we have to give that side of things the time it needs!

but you can definitely see a colin sylvia starting to embrace the new attitude towards training and it's showing on the field with consistant football for the first time

• Like 1

Hmmmm find this a bit hypocritical. Calling people names while complaining about the "[censored] for tat"? Posting a huge post while complaining about "quantity"?

For what it's worth I enjoyed reading most of your post even if I don't agree with all of it. You should try reading my actual posts if you're going to assign a label to me.

Little bit ironic to support a post about personal posts by putting up personal posts....

Soz Stu, just thought it was a point worth making. I'll stop now before this degenerates.

I think they have set themselves to match collingwood in this regard in three years, which they would consider to be an elite level program, the thing being that for us to be three years off that means bailey would have had his own program that clearly was not up to scratch

such a tough pre season training could well be a factor in the players looking so sluggish, it may just be that we have to give that side of things the time it needs!

but you can definitely see a colin sylvia starting to embrace the new attitude towards training and it's showing on the field with consistant football for the first time

neeld was heard to say last year before round 1 . the players are exhausted and havent played a game yet.

he and the committee knew this would be a problem with the 3 year program

the same this year with the program

what fitness program port had in place before hinkley , would most likely be the key .

our supporters are frustrated by these comparisons, but dont understand what transpired beforehand.

looking at wins /loses is not the answer. its where the list ends up after 2014

i wish fans would stop looking at silly statistics to explain or complain about every issue

if you had a chance to question the fd , i am sure they would explain it better than i

Edited by jazza
  • Like 2

Got a feeling Terlich might play more in the middle once he gets a bigger fitness base, he is very hard at the ball, strong body and has good skills, only real weakness is his decision making isn't always great but that will come with more games, expect him to be a good player for us for a long time.

Good call is not disimilar to a younger Shane Tuck the way he goes about his footy

neeld was heard to say last year before round 1 . the players are exhausted and havent played a game yet.

what fitness program port had in place before hinkley , would most likely be the key .

our supportewrs are frustrated by these comparisons, but dont understand what transpired beforehand.

i wish fans would stop looking at silly statistics to explain or complain about every issue

if you had a chance to question the fd , i am sure they would explain it better than i

Port are a good bit of hope for us, but people are different so i don't think outright copying their program would work, i think with port they have some elite midfield talent and Hinkly has just helped that along abit

We have some great midfield talent but Trengove unfortunately has had injuries and things go wrong, and toumpas and viney are abit young, and they seem to lack the guidance of an elite mid, like a chris judd type to show them how to be that good i guess

In terms of the fitness program it is about accepting it'll take time, i work in the fitness industry and i sort of understand where they are coming from, the players weren't just not fit enough if they were doing say 50% of an AFL level program under bailey, first year Neeld comes in and says okay this year it's 70% next year it's 85% and then it's a full program that takes it's toll on young bodies, so in that regard you could almost say the players will be no better than 90% as a default because of that until their bodies get used to the training that's required

The bonus being that in 2014 we should be right to start an elite AFL program under mission regardless of whoever is coaching and still have quite a young talented list, especially if we are lucky enough to add a couple of mids through draft/FA/ trade

• Like 2

our supportewrs are frustrated by these comparisons, but dont understand what transpired beforehand.

Jazza it's just modern society politics, the workplace, bleedinghearts etc stats can work any way you wish them to and are worth looking at for a matter of interest, but under no circumstances should they be relied upon for proving anything

I hate stats & fookin people using dreamteam/supercoach as a guide to player performance. I know what I see and I also know the type of player & things I like are not measured in stats

• Like 1

Must be dark in that sad world you inhabit.

Thank the Lord you are still with us Crawf52.

I thought you had taken up diving from high bridges.

The light just become a pin point of hope!

• Like 2

The light at the end of the tunnel team:

FB: Terlich

HB: Grimes

C: Evans M. Jones

HF: Byrnes Hogan

FF: Tapscott Howe Kent

Foll: Gawn Jones Viney

Coach: Position available

CEO: Position available

The still have some faith team:

FB: Garland Frawley

HB: Jetta McDonald Dunn

C: Trengove Toumpas

HF: Dawes

FF: Clark

Foll: Jamar Sylvia

Coach: Neil Craig

President: Don McLardy

The lost confidence team:

FB: Nicholson

HB: Watts Sellar

C: McKenzie

HF: Pedersen

FF: Davey

Foll: Rodan

Coach: Mark Neeld

CEO: Cam Schwab

Lets see if by the end of the season we get some more players in the top team.

Edited by the master
  • Like 1

The light at the end of the tunnel team:

FB: Terlich

HB: Grimes

C: Evans M. Jones

HF: Byrnes Hogan

FF: Tapscott Howe Kent

Foll: Gawn Jones Viney

Coach: Position available

CEO: Position available

The still have some faith team:

FB: Garland Frawley

HB: Jetta McDonald Dunn

C: Trengove Toumpas

HF: Dawes

FF: Clark

Foll: Jamar Sylvia

Coach: Neil Craig

President: Don McLardy

The lost confidence team:

FB: Nicholson

HB: Watts Sellar

C: McKenzie

HF: Pedersen

FF: Davey

Foll: Rodan

Coach: Mark Neeld

CEO: Cam Schwab

Lets see if by the end of the season we get some more players in the top team.

I like it, good way to set it out!

The light at the end of the tunnel team:FB: TerlichHB: GrimesC: Evans M. JonesHF: Byrnes HoganFF: Tapscott Howe KentFoll: Gawn Jones VineyCoach: Position availableCEO: Position availableThe still have some faith team:FB: Garland FrawleyHB: Jetta McDonald DunnC: Trengove ToumpasHF: DawesFF: ClarkFoll: Jamar SylviaCoach: Neil CraigPresident: Don McLardyThe lost confidence team:FB: NicholsonHB: Watts SellarC: McKenzieHF: PedersenFF: DaveyFoll: RodanCoach: Mark NeeldCEO: Cam SchwabLets see if by the end of the season we get some more players in the top team.

I'd be moving Clark up the list. Other than that, I like!

Been so impressed with Gawn and Tapscott this year, so many of the younger players have been really impressive in patches :)

Id be shocked if there wasn't an experienced coach (Choco maybe?) who would be salivating at the prospect putting together a list spearheaded by the 2 young juggernauts in Viney and Hogan.

Our list is nowhere near as people are saying.

In fact with the right coach we could make the 8.

• Like 1

Id be shocked if there wasn't an experienced coach (Choco maybe?) who would be salivating at the prospect putting together a list spearheaded by the 2 young juggernauts in Viney and Hogan.

Maybe in line for another job, one he was passed over for.

Here is a thought for you all. I hope the first thing the interim CEO does is act on the contract situation. I see this as a difficult proposition for Jackson as he will have to work out from the FD who and what price contracts he offers to those coming out of contract. I think it would be really bad to put all contract talks with all players on hold while he tries to get the house in order. I suspect that at this stage the FD would know who is in their plans for recruitment next year and what sort of funding is required. Last years 3 year plan with the new FD will already have looked at the player mix for next year but that will have changed dramatically with the CEO situation. Tough gig to pick up, make decisions in an interim role.

• Like 1

Sorry hh but I cannot agree with you, what evidence can you provide to prove the list is capable of making the eight.

IMO it will struggle to get out of the bottom four in the next couple of years.

Didn't know where to put this but this thread seems appropriate .......

Went to a dinner last night for a catch up of my local clubs under 18's premiership side (A very long time ago)..In which I played..

Spoke to a good friend who is a long time MFC member.

He was rung up by the MFC volunteers enquiring why he had not renewed ...He stated that he was fed up with the club...Hated the coach and the way things were going.....After speaking to the volunteer he renewed his membership for this year.......

I just want to thank the volunteers for all the great work that they are doing and it shows that this club is not dead yet.....

I know that this is the most frustrating time for our footy club......But these blokes are bloody marvellous......

• Like 2

I agree that there is enough to build a top 8 list around, but one thing Neeld is right about is this will take time, there are no quick fixes to the hole we are in,

However Port are a good example of how quick the wheel turns, you throw a couple of quality mids in and some of our big name players show some faith and re sign and we will be a different team,

the biggest positive is how many players on our list who are starting to really show something, Howe would be an All Australian in a good team now, just doesn't get the ball down there enough, evans, kent, tapscott, terlich, M jones, Gawndogga, and others all look good, it seems that our development issues are fading abit, and bloke are having to earn a game! how good is that!

I don't buy the time angle. This is merely an excuse to ward off attacks stating that because we're young, we can't put in basic footy fundamentals like chasing, tackling, manning up. Things turn around quickly in footy. If we can recruit two A grade mids, I can see our fortunes turning quickly.

Port are a good bit of hope for us, but people are different so i don't think outright copying their program would work, i think with port they have some elite midfield talent and Hinkly has just helped that along abit

We have some great midfield talent but Trengove unfortunately has had injuries and things go wrong, and toumpas and viney are abit young, and they seem to lack the guidance of an elite mid, like a chris judd type to show them how to be that good i guess

In terms of the fitness program it is about accepting it'll take time, i work in the fitness industry and i sort of understand where they are coming from, the players weren't just not fit enough if they were doing say 50% of an AFL level program under bailey, first year Neeld comes in and says okay this year it's 70% next year it's 85% and then it's a full program that takes it's toll on young bodies, so in that regard you could almost say the players will be no better than 90% as a default because of that until their bodies get used to the training that's required

The bonus being that in 2014 we should be right to start an elite AFL program under mission regardless of whoever is coaching and still have quite a young talented list, especially if we are lucky enough to add a couple of mids through draft/FA/ trade

I sure hope that you are right about the fitness projections - the most talented team at 85% in today's game would struggle against a "good ordinary team" at 100% fitness.

Been so impressed with Gawn and Tapscott this year, so many of the younger players have been really impressive in patches :)

They certainly are our future - not just these two - Hogan, Viney, Terlich.............

Once the fitness is at the 100% level, 2014, Neeld may turn out to be just THE man.

I don't buy the time angle. This is merely an excuse to ward off attacks stating that because we're young, we can't put in basic footy fundamentals like chasing, tackling, manning up. Things turn around quickly in footy. If we can recruit two A grade mids, I can see our fortunes turning quickly.

Trouble is, you just CANNOT chase or man up for long, repetitively, if you are 75 or 85% the fitness of those whom you are chasing and are totally out of puff. Time!!

• Like 1