Is anyone else concerned?

deanoDA

I am a little concerned because in some key indicators I did not see any improvement in the latter part of last year. This figures exclude all games against GC and GWS because they are irrelevant as measurements IMO. See below (I had some trouble pasting the data in so hopefully you can make sense of it):-

i50+/- Scores from i50 For Scores from i50 Agst Accuracy For Accuracy Agst

Last 10 games -9.4 44.2% 54.9% 48.5% 51.5%
Last 5 games -8.8 43.3% 57.5% 48.5% 53.9%
Last 3 games -9.7 47.7% 60.9% 44.4% 53.1%
Season 2012 -15.6 44.6% 53.4% 48.1% 52.1%
League Average 49.3% 49.3% 52.8% 52.8%

The positive in the above was our ability to bridge the gap in inside 50's in the second half of the season. I believe this trend continued somewhat in the NAB cup games we played.

My biggest worry from these numbers is that despite the fact that we seem to be implementing a slow, defensive game plan, our whole season (and worryingly the last 10 games) were terrible in terms of allowing teams to score when they go inside their 50. FYI Sydney won a flag with a season i50 diff of +0.6 and their last 10 games at -3.4. Their ability to stop opponents scoring was their key.

Whilst I like Neeld and the fact that he appears to be demanding high standards of commitment to the cause, it does worry me that we are playing in a way that we never capitalise enough in the scoreboard when we have the momentum and clearly don't seem to be able to stop opposition sides when they have momentum.

I'll be keeping my eye on these numbers. I predict pain this year (i.e. bottom 2) if we don't see real improvement in our ability to create and stop scores from i50's.

Look this is wonderful but if your going to exclude GWS & GC please at least remind us all with courtesy who we played in the 2nd half of the season. What is it with delanders wanting to go out of their way to promote negativity. We all know that for the best part of 07 -12 we were shite but the likes of WYL & OD will have you thinking we have been that way since 64 & continue to be a spent force for eternity.

I believe we may even go down to Port but increased fitness will see the Dees finish the year strongly. I just hope we are travelling well enough for the likes of hardnut and the other Neeld haters to be curtailed for what I believe will be a rough start to 2013

• Like 5

Re Round 1, I'm not sure what exactly "season over" means in our case. We're almost certainly not going to be playing off in the finals, so I would have thought that this is very much a development and consolidation year. We've had a massive number of changes, and IMHO, it's going to take most of the season to just work out what our best 22 is yet alone where they should be playing. As part of that process, there will be the inevitable losses.

Round 1 could be a step too far. I just feel that we have too many of our first 22 with injury/fitness/match-fitness issues: Clark, Dawes, McDonald, Trengove, Blease, Viney ... that's nearly a third of the team, and not any old third either. Or to put it another way, whatever team we put on the park next weekend, it will be the first time they've played any kind of competitive match together, and at least a few of them are going to be dusting off the cobwebs.

Just feel it's going to take a while to settle down and come together. Perhaps even a whole season.

• Like 2

Re Round 1, I'm not sure what exactly "season over" means in our case. We're almost certainly not going to be playing off in the finals, so I would have thought that this is very much a development and consolidation year. We've had a massive number of changes, and IMHO, it's going to take most of the season to just work out what our best 22 is yet alone where they should be playing. As part of that process, there will be the inevitable losses.

Round 1 could be a step too far. I just feel that we have too many of our first 22 with injury/fitness/match-fitness issues: Clark, Dawes, McDonald, Trengove, Blease, Viney ... that's nearly a third of the team, and not any old third either. Or to put it another way, whatever team we put on the park next weekend, it will be the first time they've played any kind of competitive match together, and at least a few of them are going to be dusting off the cobwebs.

Just feel it's going to take a while to settle down and come together. Perhaps even a whole season.

Spot on mate, i think people on here need to harden the f**k up and realise we are going to have a bloody roller coster of a year. I can see that Neeld is busting his nuts week in, week out trying to assemble a list that can compete......This takes time

Edited by Srjennings
  • Like 1

I also think it will be a bit of a roller coaster<br />but I am hoping thats on the 4 point scoreboard as we win some games by large margins and lose some games with close scores<br /><br />The turnover or mistake will prove costly undoing all the good work done for a majority of the game.<br />but that will display our areas for improvement<br /><br />Our squad will be used creatively with the depth and flexibility to match up against specific opposition and our game plans and strategies will negate and confound the opposition. Our improved fitness will mean that only unexpected injuries will affect our performance and team selection.<br /><br />our game day plans will show solid team work as the squad which has worked together for many months now know and recognise each others abilities and strenghts putting the ball to advantage the player who can run into it and knowing who is going to handpass as an option knowing that a kick will fall short cos its my teamates poor side etc<br /><br />The coaches have had enough time to get the routines into the players .I do not subscribe to the belief that it takes a long time for recruits to learn new patterns etc. WE are now talking about full time professional footballers with improved coaching and support.<br /><br />So some wins some losses but an improved competitive team that will be consistent<br />but results may still be roller coaster<br /><br />Its exciting lets enjoy it<br /><br />GO DEES<br />

Small point, but won't Port Adelaide have at least 4 new players in their team? This would mean that they have to gel come game day as well.

Didn't want to start a new thread so chose this one as perhaps there is some vague link? Anyway good to see the ox talking Wattsy up. His thoughts echo mine very closely:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/david-schwarz-says-jack-watts-will-be-a-more-consistent-player-than-nic-naitanui/story-e6frg1xu-1226604376862

Didn't want to start a new thread so chose this one as perhaps there is some vague link? Anyway good to see the ox talking Wattsy up. His thoughts echo mine very closely:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/david-schwarz-says-jack-watts-will-be-a-more-consistent-player-than-nic-naitanui/story-e6frg1xu-1226604376862

Mark Robinson is talking up watts as well. He believes he will be named in the initial all Australian squad.

Mark Robinson is talking up watts as well. He believes he will be named in the initial all Australian squad.

Which would be a pretty good effort for a guy that one poster believes doesn't have a competitive bone in his body.

Which would be a pretty good effort for a guy that one poster believes doesn't have a competitive bone in his body.

Every player can't be the beau waters of the competition. I'd take watts every day of the week.