• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Recently a laptop died (as they do) A daughter has an ipad. Its ok but has limitations. (But it does do what it does in an ok way)

The laptop tablet world is changing. For work my old (well brand new actually ) pc is fine. But I can see a requirement for a larger portable device than my smartphone.

I thought id try an interim solution. An android tablet.

I succumbed to the emails and bought a Kogan Agora 10" thing. I'm loathed to refer to it as a tablet as its more a bitter pill ,otherwise known as a piece of crap.

unless you relish the idea of retro experiencing the blinding speed of dial-up days don't bother. Its very slow to load pages, constantly hangs. Its very poor as you attempt to skip from one tab to another.

Its rubbish. If they don't take it back I'll wander down the street an seee how many times I can get it to skip across the water before sinking. Maybe the Toadies can get more from it !!

Now, I had though about a Galaxy Tab before going all cheapie. Anyone got one?

Any other recommendations ? I'm happy to just have wireless as my phone can be used hot to get net so no need to pay for 3g etc.

Be interested to hear from ppl

Cheers :)

I think all these companies producing the cheapies are relying on those people who are stuck in the "anti-Apple" bubble who refuse to get anything Apple. But you just need to look at the years of experience that they all have to work out who is going to have a better product. Personally, I have never used anything android, so I can only comment that Apple stuff, but it just works...

In my industry (home automation) most products start with iDevice apps and then later come the android apps.

It all depends on exactly what you want to use it for

I have a first generation galaxy tab 10.1 and to be honest was a little disappointed when I first got it.

Since then though, it's gotten a MASSIVE operating system upgrade (ICS 4.2 I think) and it runs really really really well. I love the thing now and it goes with me everywhere. There are also a lot more apps on the store now than when I originally got it.

It is a *little* on the heavy side. If I were to buy a tablet now, I would get an 8.9 inch Galaxy Tab instead just for the weight.

I don't have the 3g version since it can use my phone's internet connection and that works pretty well. I have no complaints on speed using my phone's 3g nor wi-fi. I can't speak for on-board 3g because mine doesn't have it.

Demonland works really well on it, although the browser for some reason doesn't have a spell checker and I'm not really good on the on-screen keyboard so I need to recheck my posts for spelling when using it. I'm sure this could be rectified by a browser add-on and a new keyboard app but haven't looked into it.

The mfc website videos for some reason don't work with the built-in browser. I can hear Kitty from Progressive Car Insurance talking but I can't see her face :(. I haven't tried an alternative browser.

Most websites I can use without an issue in the world. I think the browser by default is set to display mobile versions of websites, I just changed it to desktop because it looks and operates fine on a tablet.

I use it a fair bit for gaming and there are lots of fun choices if that's your cup of tea.

Haven't used it to read e-books because of the weight, but probably would if I got the 8.9 inch version. Mine came pre-installed with Amazon Kindle but I haven't used it.

The inbuilt gmail app is fantastic, as is google drive.

I use ABC iView a lot. I was surprised that there wasn't an app for it, but if you go to the iView website, the browser has flash so it works fine. A few times when the boy is hogging the TV watching the Wiggles I've just sat down and popped on some ABC on the tablet so I can watch him and a show at the same time.

Overall would definitely recommend it, and they are only getting cheaper.

I think all these companies producing the cheapies are relying on those people who are stuck in the "anti-Apple" bubble who refuse to get anything Apple. But you just need to look at the years of experience that they all have to work out who is going to have a better product. Personally, I have never used anything android, so I can only comment that Apple stuff, but it just works...

In my industry (home automation) most products start with iDevice apps and then later come the android apps.

It all depends on exactly what you want to use it for

I find Apple is really restrictive which is why I prefer Android. I won't use them simply because I don't want to get sucked into their eco-system.

Stuff doesn't always 'just work', but I can choose my own media source. Not using iTunes IMHO is the best feature of Android.

I have a media pc I stream to the tablet with VLC and network shares. Works really well and didn't require much set up at all.

Can't speak for home automation because I'm poor and can't afford to have my tablet open my front door (as much as I would like to).

You know if those bastards at apple just sucked it up and put usb hdmi etc as ports and did away with the flash war id buy an ipad.

I loathe companies that dictate. In a previous life as systems engineer in a hetrogenous etworking environment I spent half my lfe dealing with Jobs and his obsessive view of the world.

I'm not anti apple as the practical in me just wants something that works. But I can't take the ipad to. The factory and do silly things like print or scan. Its dumb. Apples view of the world is narrow and prejudiced.

I'm probably now looking at a galaxy or similar or maybe a win8 u beaut multi thing. But I hear the first gen win 8 are troublesome and slow.

Edit

thanks Choke....interesting.

I now work in Building/home improvements and the ability to take a tab into clients home is invaluable. Be handy to be able to print

Emails a bit clumsy on occasions

Edited by belzebub59

Andoid is now the more prefered OS for smart phones in Australia - which is incredibly interesting considering they only had 9% market share 4 years ago.

In terms of tablets most of my tech friends went with Apple.

I'm a pretty big anti-Apple fan, I dont like their battery options (ie cant remove/replace battery in phones), OS (too user friendly), they have a smaller app store ect.

BUT my one biggest beef with the iPad is that it doesnt and will never play flash...

I'm an iPad proponent. I have had two now (original and now iPad '3') and have nothing but praise for them. I am able to create/edit Word documents Excel spreadsheets etc, able to load and edit my photographs, able to print (I have a wireless printer), able to access email from multiple accounts, able to communicate with my kids via Skype when I'm overseas; all of this gives it a big thumbs up from me, not to mention the fact that while I'm traveling, I'm able to enjoy the odd movie, listen to my music, and carry my entire book library. I know all of these things are no doubt possible on other tablets, but I am not convinced that Android is or will ever be, as stable as iOS.

As for the issue of being tied into iTunes, I regard that as the price you pay for getting apps that have undergone pretty stringent security checks and that must reach a predetermined standard before they are accepted for sale/distribution. I admittedly don't know what standards are set by the Android app store, but I seem to recall it is pretty haphazard; not to mention the fact that the app store (Play Store?) is the most user unfriendly place I have visited (I got an HTC Desire phone a year and a half ago and have been regretting the move to Android ever since).

I get the feeling that Android has taken the lead in the OS stakes more through the attraction/huge sales of phones like the Samsung Galaxy 3, than on its own merits. Regardless, nothing will convince me that Android is a superior OS.

You know if those bastards at apple just sucked it up and put usb hdmi etc as ports and did away with the flash war id buy an ipad.

I loathe companies that dictate. In a previous life as systems engineer in a hetrogenous etworking environment I spent half my lfe dealing with Jobs and his obsessive view of the world.

I'm not anti apple as the practical in me just wants something that works. But I can't take the ipad to. The factory and do silly things like print or scan. Its dumb. Apples view of the world is narrow and prejudiced.

I'm probably now looking at a galaxy or similar or maybe a win8 u beaut multi thing. But I hear the first gen win 8 are troublesome and slow.

Edit

thanks Choke....interesting.

I now work in Building/home improvements and the ability to take a tab into clients home is invaluable. Be handy to be able to print

Emails a bit clumsy on occasions

They built houses 500 hundred years ago that sh!t all over anything we can do now .

Do not delude yourself in the buliding industry into thinking a computer will help you.

I'm an iPad proponent. I have had two now (original and now iPad '3') and have nothing but praise for them. I am able to create/edit Word documents Excel spreadsheets etc, able to load and edit my photographs, able to print (I have a wireless printer), able to access email from multiple accounts, able to communicate with my kids via Skype when I'm overseas; all of this gives it a big thumbs up from me, not to mention the fact that while I'm traveling, I'm able to enjoy the odd movie, listen to my music, and carry my entire book library. I know all of these things are no doubt possible on other tablets, but I am not convinced that Android is or will ever be, as stable as iOS.

As for the issue of being tied into iTunes, I regard that as the price you pay for getting apps that have undergone pretty stringent security checks and that must reach a predetermined standard before they are accepted for sale/distribution. I admittedly don't know what standards are set by the Android app store, but I seem to recall it is pretty haphazard; not to mention the fact that the app store (Play Store?) is the most user unfriendly place I have visited (I got an HTC Desire phone a year and a half ago and have been regretting the move to Android ever since).

I get the feeling that Android has taken the lead in the OS stakes more through the attraction/huge sales of phones like the Samsung Galaxy 3, than on its own merits. Regardless, nothing will convince me that Android is a superior OS.

A good Android tab will do all of those things. They get a bad rap because Andriod is an OS and can be used by anyone. So you have lots of cheap Chinese products in the market that aren't well built. Apple controls both the hardware and operating system of their devices, whereas Google does have its own products but lots of other companies use Android too.

Getting a name brand like a Galaxy makes a huge difference. Mine has not crashed since the ICS update and the Play Store got a whole lot more useable. I agree, it used to suck balls. I haven't tried a Nexus Tab, but they look amazing. Since the hardware is by Google it'd be optimised for the OS.

I've never had a virus, but I've installed a virus scanner that checks all my apps before download. Google's requirements aren't as stringent as Apple's, that's definitely true.

Well somewhat ironically my wife received ( from me ) an iPad mini. It works pretty well . Does what it was hoped to and probably not an iota more.. This compared to a 7 " Android we got ages ago and it literally was doa...coulndt be bothered going through the rigamarole in returning as by the time we did it was cost neutral to chuck it..lol Seem to be making some poor decision here. ( read cheap ) I must fess i only got the kogan in order to dabble and sample the likes of an Android tab. i feel that a REAL one ought to work a treat. I would like to borrow a friends for a few days just to see. Unfortunately they nearly all have iPads..lol

might just wait a few months and se what comes out and whats chucked out on sales :)

cheers all